Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nietzschean posted:

This right here. Short of usurping The Big Man Himself, pretty much every single job position in our lurching space bureaucracy seems to actually be based on merit and commitment. Mittens routinely fires directors who have become inactive or useless, and promotes new blood. People newer to this game than me who are presently directors include Asher Elias, Blawrf McTaggart, Reagalan, and Ted McManfist, among others. Notably those guys were also all in Theta Squad during their early careers. Coincidence, or best squad? You decide.

Hell, look at all the FC training and similar things that have been done in the past few months. You can actively seek help and get it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Nietzschean posted:

This right here. Short of usurping The Big Man Himself, pretty much every single job position in our lurching space bureaucracy seems to actually be based on merit and commitment. Mittens routinely fires directors who have become inactive or useless, and promotes new blood. People newer to this game than me who are presently directors include Asher Elias, Blawrf McTaggart, Reagalan, and Ted McManfist, among others. Notably those guys were also all in Theta Squad during their early careers. Coincidence, or best squad? You decide.

Are there any options to be promoted available for people who can't/won FC?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

goodness posted:

GSOL?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

goodness posted:

I got promoted for helping newbees. Blawrf worked his way up through recon. There are plenty of jobs other than FC.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goodness posted:

Blawrf made skymarshal despite having no idea how to FC: that was through recon, and coordinating. Ted McManfist got mentors as a result of his tireless efforts to organize Theta Squad and help newbies (and also Andski getting fired for doing nothing). Someone else already mentioned GSOL. There are directors of all kinds of non-FC things. You just need to be demonstrably good and persistent at what you do. Becoming a director through FCing is actually probably one of the least likely things compared to the other jobs available: even when I was on the Sky Team and leading stratops around the clock, I was not in illum.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

smg77 posted:

Somebody buy Vyst a Hillmooncat avatar to celebrate the life and death of his legendary thread.

This is a terrible idea Skunk gently caress you

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

goodness posted:

Promotion implies hierarchy.

The Goonswarm "rank" structure is essentially an upside down pyramid where the line members at the top enjoy all the privileges with none of the responsibilities.

You can then progress down the ranks for more responsibilities and less time to enjoy the privileges if you have an inclination towards self masochism.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

~doublepost~

No he absolutely wants to fiddle with the meta, in that he doesn't want to make sov warfare consist exclusively of shotgunning uncatchable interceptors across the universe, and he also wants to break down the apex force problem which has been making eve progressively more unfun every year. Discouraging bad, unfun gameplay from the meta is what he wants to do. Artificially creating a meta is what he wants to avoid.

How exactly is making trollceptors not work not artificially effecting meta? It's the same thing as making he module only fit on certain classes of ships. Or just adding role penalties to making it not fit on ships. As far as "artificially creating meta" they're the same.

The impression I get from every one of his blog posts seems that he really does want the hit and run gameplay. He thinks that entosis ~wulfpax~ are what is going to generate the most content.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Gropiemon posted:

So I logged in for the first time in a long time and a lot has changed. We aren't based in VFK anymore right? I have a bunch of fleet and other poo poo in 4-EP, is there shipping to and from there?

We are not based in VFK anymore. We're getting out of Fountain and you better move in getting your stuff back up in Deklein. Ask in alliance chat or look for people there and ask them if they can fit your ships in their carrier or something.

masteen
Nov 23, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

As a counterpoint, if you are lazy, stupid, and unmotivated like me, this is still the place for you. Free noobie ships. A newbee never needs fear losing their precious space chariot. A home region filled with wise and bitter space Jews who LOVE to hear themselves talk and are just aching to find the next shobon newbee to warm their frigid hearts if even for a moment. A group for every possible activity in the game (except pubbie bullshit like mission running). A ship reimbursement program that makes every other alliance in the game oh so jelly. Seriously, it's ridiculous how fast that money flies into your pocket after filing your claim.

Lastly, bask in the warm glow of The Mittani's love. Seriously, it's great. Join us!

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
if you play eve please get good and stop feeding

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

CainFortea posted:

How exactly is making trollceptors not work not artificially effecting meta? It's the same thing as making he module only fit on certain classes of ships. Or just adding role penalties to making it not fit on ships. As far as "artificially creating meta" they're the same.

The impression I get from every one of his blog posts seems that he really does want the hit and run gameplay. He thinks that entosis ~wulfpax~ are what is going to generate the most content.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a difference between "excluding this unfun mechanic from the meta" and "shoehorning this random thing into the meta". Evasion based gameplay is not fun and being appropriately disincentivized. That's different from saying "I think battlecruisers should be used more, so I'm going to force the playerbase to include them in their meta by making them a critical part of sov warfare".

One is constructive, removing the possibility of the least fun doctrine becoming the most effective. The other is destructive, limiting player choice (which is something that CCP actively strives to avoid).

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacPac posted:

rude; also, unnecessary

TrickNixon
Aug 22, 2007

Hey, watch me pull the abuse of executive power out of my hat!

Gropiemon posted:

So I logged in for the first time in a long time and a lot has changed. We aren't based in VFK anymore right? I have a bunch of fleet and other poo poo in 4-EP, is there shipping to and from there?

You picked a good time to mention this. This weekend, we're doing three move ops back to home that will pass through 4-EP. There's also at least one freight service hauling poo poo from there, but after that, you're pretty much on your own.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What does Gevlon Goblin think of all this though?

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

NyxBiker posted:

We are not based in VFK anymore. We're getting out of Fountain and you better move in getting your stuff back up in Deklein. Ask in alliance chat or look for people there and ask them if they can fit your ships in their carrier or something.

I resubbed my alt so I can just fly back my 2 expensive ships. I'll keep the rest of the crap there for our next foray into that side of Eve.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

TrickNixon posted:

You picked a good time to mention this. This weekend, we're doing three move ops back to home that will pass through 4-EP. There's also at least one freight service hauling poo poo from there, but after that, you're pretty much on your own.

I looked through S-Mart but didn't see which service was offering this, got a link please?

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Pierson posted:

Who?

Alternately, who cares?

TrickNixon
Aug 22, 2007

Hey, watch me pull the abuse of executive power out of my hat!

Gropiemon posted:

I looked through S-Mart but didn't see which service was offering this, got a link please?

It took a little looking, but yes, yes I do. He linked it in the move op thread or I'd have never found it: https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/197885-raptors-transient-services/

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Pierson posted:

ill kill you pie

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MacPac posted:

I think you're looking for the air rivals thread

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

ill kill you pie
That isn't a very conductive attitude to getting people to play this awful, awful game pal!!!

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pierson posted:

Gevlon Goblin think

I fear you exaggerate.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

TrickNixon posted:

It took a little looking, but yes, yes I do. He linked it in the move op thread or I'd have never found it: https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/197885-raptors-transient-services/

Charging 100 isk more per M3 than the alternative. I should be surprised that people still take him up on it but instead I'm just fascinated.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

TrickNixon posted:

Ahh thank you! Also welcome back Devilish :unsmith:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zephyrine posted:

Charging 100 isk more per M3 than the alternative. I should be surprised that people still take him up on it but instead I'm just fascinated.

Woulda cost me the price of a domi to move my domi, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Glad I moved it myself.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Otacon posted:

Woulda cost me the price of a domi to move my domi, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Glad I moved it myself.

35 million to YA0 or 25 million to Jita for a Dominix.

But to be fair T1 battleships have always been a logistical nightmare.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Only flying cruisers and smaller on deployment is awesome

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dude, we'll ALWAYS end up back. Just leave your poo poo there unless you're really space broke.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I haven't done the math but it could very well be viable to blow up the Dominix for the insurance and then have the module shipped to Jita to sell them.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

goodness posted:

There's lots of upward mobility based on merit in almost every ~silo~ of our org. However, to get into Illum, one does not ask to be promoted, and when someone is promoted they're not given a choice. Whenever you see a 'rest in piss' broadcast it's because some talented idiot has foolishly demonstrated merit in front of one of us, been noticed for it, and was abruptly shanghai'd into the directorate.

I don't think I've asked permission to promote someone even once in the last five years of CEOing.

Zephyrine posted:

Promotion implies hierarchy.

The Goonswarm "rank" structure is essentially an upside down pyramid where the line members at the top enjoy all the privileges with none of the responsibilities.

You can then progress down the ranks for more responsibilities and less time to enjoy the privileges if you have an inclination towards self masochism.

GSF works because we make it rain on the line instead of embezzling isk to buy fancy ships for ourselves (which is why you never have to worry about me running off with the alliance isk, I don't need to buy anything ingame ever) and yeah, the more merit you display the more crushing responsibility is imposed upon you. The most free of goons is the 'humble' line goon, who can do anything with zilch responsibility.

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 7, 2015

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zephyrine posted:

I haven't done the math but it could very well be viable to blow up the Dominix for the insurance and then have the module shipped to Jita to sell them.

I was thinking about it but ended up moving it myself. I just remembered looking in SMart for that thread and doing the math on my rigged domi, and ended up moving it in a convoy.

Also, as a space poor, I

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

orange juche posted:

Luigi come play in wormholes with hole squad please, we've got the vast majority of old USTZ SV in there, it's like good old times in syndicate.

We've also incorporated many of the remaining TG and BLOPS actives at this point. I'd adopt some sort of Dirty Dozen / Last Chancers gimmick, but that would imply that we're useful. We aren't useful. :v:

Hi thread, I'm Garnt. I'm poo poo-terrible at all videogames but that doesn't matter in Eve so I play Eve.

edit:

objectively bad posted:

Some day soon we might see schadenfreud, koshka and tuxedo catfish all logged into eve at the same time. I think something magical is going to happen if/when that happens.

Already happens. In Holesquad. :getin:

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 7, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Numismancer posted:

Whenever you see a 'rest in piss' broadcast it's because some talented idiot has foolishly demonstrated merit in front of one of us, been noticed for it, and was abruptly shanghai'd into the directorate.

I don't think I've asked permission to promote someone even once in the last five years of CEOing.

Hell, even being a dick won't save you. I accidentally crashed one of your Eve Vegas parties while I was still in Rote Kapelle (which CFC had set -10 at the time) and ended up drinking a bunch of Courthouse and Kesper's scotch. Didn't save me from promotion. :smithfrog:

bulletproofjesus
May 2, 2015
Eve is all about being poo poo terrible. You just have to have more poo poo terrible players in your group than the other poor bastard does

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
After updating the FAQ with the Groon bit I feel that we cannot allow a blunt gap to develop so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FmNfOcmUCw

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

same

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Space bong hits 4 space Jesus

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Gonna drop this here again:

How to Join Goons

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed – Luke 2:1

The instructions on how to join Goonwaffe can be found here: https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Joining_GoonWaffe_101 Yes, they are a little complicated, but the Imperial bureaucracy grinds exceeding fine.

DO NOT JUST APPLY TO ANY GOONSWARM CORP WITHOUT FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR YOU WILL BE SCAMMED, BANNED OR AT BEST REJECTED.

Just be sure to remember:

If you apply to Goonswarm without at least three months on Something Awful, during which you post freely, then you will be rejected and will not be able to reapply
If anyone asks you for a security deposit to join Goonswarm or any other corporation in the alliance, you are being scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Gonna drop this here again:

How to Join Goons

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed – Luke 2:1

The instructions on how to join Goonwaffe can be found here: https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Joining_GoonWaffe_101 Yes, they are a little complicated, but the Imperial bureaucracy grinds exceeding fine.

DO NOT JUST APPLY TO ANY GOONSWARM CORP WITHOUT FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR YOU WILL BE SCAMMED, BANNED OR AT BEST REJECTED.

Just be sure to remember:

If you apply to Goonswarm without at least three months on Something Awful, during which you post freely, then you will be rejected and will not be able to reapply
If anyone asks you for a security deposit to join Goonswarm or any other corporation in the alliance, you are being scammed.

This just makes more j4gs apply because they think the 3 month rule is set in stone. I think vyst said before it doesn't matter if you have had an account for 3 months or 3 years, if you aren't a member of our community that also has the horrible desire to play this game then you are not getting in.

• Locked thread