Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it was a slightly more cut down version than my beloved D50 and came out not long after it. Everything is so much better now, from the viewfinder to autofocus points, but I love the fact that if you can use a camera of that age and you pick up any of the current gen DX series, you'll be at home with it in minutes. That's seriously impressive and proves how well they think out cameras these days (I'm sure the other systems are similar, but I remember grabbing both an Olympus and Canon DSLR back years ago and not being able to take good photos with them out of sheer frustration of not understanding how their systems worked. Even on fully auto the Olympus was giving me these awful blue casts over everything that I still don't understand to this day...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even on fully auto the Olympus was giving me these awful blue casts over everything that I still don't understand to this day

This can happen if you take photographs while you're feeling sad

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I mean. I'm just dipping my toe in so I'm sure if I'm into this I'm gonna get something more up to date but free is free.

Is there a good (non video) tutorial of all the buttons and garbage? And am I gonna be able to get by with what I want to shoot with the kit lense or do I need something better asap?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

The D40 is a fine camera if you're just starting out, plus it has a 1/500 flash sync speed that's pretty unique these days.

Ken Rockwell loves his D40 more than almost any other camera, so his guide is probably an OK place to start. Just ignore his opinions about JPEG versus raw and shoot raw.

The kit lens is plenty good on the D40's sensor, don't worry so much about gear right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feigning interest posted:

This can happen if you take photographs while you're feeling sad

Ah, it must've had the immensely powerful Emotion Engine from the Playstation 3. Technology, eh?

e: didn't spot the original D40 post... I still refuse to part with my D50 and I'd rather take it out on a risky shoot than take my new body. You can take great pictures with those cameras still, and if you decide to upgrade you'll find you have a camera you know how to use and does an even better job at focusing and in lower light.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

The only problem is the flash is stuck open. Is that an expensive fix? I've just been holding it down and it throws the zap (?). Is that acceptable?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

The only problem is the flash is stuck open. Is that an expensive fix? I've just been holding it down and it throws the zap (?). Is that acceptable?

Google the manual, it's probably available online in PDF form. See if you can just disable the flash via a button even if the flash is up. Otherwise, the repair, depending on what is wrong with it, might not be worth it considering how old the d40 is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thinking it might be time to get a flash unit for my ME Super because indoors in the evening it's hard to get an acceptable exposure. Any recommendations for something relatively inexpensive, preferably that would also be useful on my K50 too? I don't know jack or poo poo about flashes.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thinking it might be time to get a flash unit for my ME Super because indoors in the evening it's hard to get an acceptable exposure. Any recommendations for something relatively inexpensive, preferably that would also be useful on my K50 too? I don't know jack or poo poo about flashes.

There's a lighting thread but for something cheap and manual can't really go wrong with whatever the newest model of Yongnuo is these days, or go and pick up like an old Vivitar at a thrift shop or something.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is my go to cheap small flash. Costs $60, has two auto and one full power manual setting, takes has a tilting head for bounce and fits in a jacket pocket. If size is not an issue then go for whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have any tips for getting the best shots I can of some Lego stuff with an iPhone? It's all I really have access to right now. Mostly any lighting tips would be appreciated. I find it really hard to put light on something that small. My current attempts have either blown the whole thing out with light or made it way too dark. Also, are there any apps out there anyone knows of that would help with something like this? Thanks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting the best shots I can of some Lego stuff with an iPhone? It's all I really have access to right now. Mostly any lighting tips would be appreciated. I find it really hard to put light on something that small. My current attempts have either blown the whole thing out with light or made it way too dark. Also, are there any apps out there anyone knows of that would help with something like this? Thanks.

Are you trying natural light? Window light? I'm not sure what you've got available to you for lighting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

8th-snype posted:

This is my go to cheap small flash. Costs $60, has two auto and one full power manual setting, takes has a tilting head for bounce and fits in a jacket pocket. If size is not an issue then go for whatever.

Thanks, that looks nice. I'm going to see what's available in used equipment too, but I'll keep that amazon link in my pocket.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Are you trying natural light? Window light? I'm not sure what you've got available to you for lighting.

Tried window light and using various light sources throughout the house. i'll probably try some natural light this weekend. I'll be using a back drop.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

HPL posted:

The D40 is nearly jurassic in digital camera years. It was one of the first affordable "not useless" consumer-level DSLRs, which is why there are so many of them around. That said, even the lowest, cheapest new DSLR today will beat the everliving snot out of it.

It's also a great camera that takes nice pictures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Tried window light and using various light sources throughout the house. i'll probably try some natural light this weekend. I'll be using a back drop.
Use a large window that's not in the sun, and bounce from the opposite side with a white panel (sheet works).

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
At the risk of asking an incredibly subjective question, what do you look for in an upgrade?

I have an EPL5 and just noticed the sale price of the OMD EM10. My main reasons for considering it are the features like more control dials (I'm tired of menu diving) and the built-in panorama stitching and HDR. The viewfinder and other features are a nice bonus. I'm not a "photographer" by any means but I find myself enjoying it less as I get more experienced and rely less on automatic settings. I can pseudo-justify it by saying it's my last upgrade ever since it has everything I'd want, and that I can sell my EPL5 to make up some of the difference, but on the other hand it doesn't offer much in the way of better performance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I look for something that solves or lessens a shortcoming I've identified in my current setup. IE: at the moment I feel like I don't have the resolution in my d7k to crop my bird photos into usable sizes, so I'm looking at upgrading the body to one with a higher resolution sensor.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

VelociBacon posted:

I look for something that solves or lessens a shortcoming I've identified in my current setup. IE: at the moment I feel like I don't have the resolution in my d7k to crop my bird photos into usable sizes, so I'm looking at upgrading the body to one with a higher resolution sensor.

Is that cheaper or better than investing in longer glass? Higher resolution doesn't always mean better image quality at a crop. You're gonna hit the wall in terms of cramming more pixels into an APS-C sensor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dakana posted:

Is that cheaper or better than investing in longer glass? Higher resolution doesn't always mean better image quality at a crop. You're gonna hit the wall in terms of cramming more pixels into an APS-C sensor.

I already have glass I'm happy with for the time being and I'll get a lot more out of a new sensor which will be behind every shot I take rather than a lens which I'd only take out when shooting birds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I got tired of missing about s stop of DR to fit scenes.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Flickr changed their homepage photo stream layout again. Much nicer now.

Have they always had the Magic View option in Camera Roll? It does some kind of crazy photo recognition and categorizes all your photos by subject matter. Does a drat good job, too. A few funny mistakes but otherwise pretty accurate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that might be new, I agree it's pretty cool and is about 50/50 between scarily accurate and complete nonsense. I like it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

Flickr changed their homepage photo stream layout again. Much nicer now.

Have they always had the Magic View option in Camera Roll? It does some kind of crazy photo recognition and categorizes all your photos by subject matter. Does a drat good job, too. A few funny mistakes but otherwise pretty accurate.

I'm liking most of the new Flickr changes, except that when someone posts multiple photos at once, the thumbnails to switch between them still overlap the first photo. Now that they've introduced a margin, I wish they'd use it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What would cause a particular lens on a particular camera to overexpose consistently by 4 stops? I have a Nikon 35mm f/2 on my d600 and that's what it's doing. Changing shooting mode doesn't change this behavior, changing metering mode doesn't change it. I need to dial in -4ev of exposure compensation to get a reasonable exposure.

Other lenses don't do this, just this one. Maybe the aperture isn't stepping down properly?

Edit: So odd. If I hold down the aperture preview button and take the picture while I'm holding it, it's exposed properly. If I don't do that, it's overexposing.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2015

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Phanatic posted:

What would cause a particular lens on a particular camera to overexpose consistently by 4 stops? I have a Nikon 35mm f/2 on my d600 and that's what it's doing. Changing shooting mode doesn't change this behavior, changing metering mode doesn't change it. I need to dial in -4ev of exposure compensation to get a reasonable exposure.

Other lenses don't do this, just this one. Maybe the aperture isn't stepping down properly?

Edit: So odd. If I hold down the aperture preview button and take the picture while I'm holding it, it's exposed properly. If I don't do that, it's overexposing.

Look for oil on the aperture blades. The 35mm f/2 AF is infamous for this problem, and it makes things sticky.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Also, does it look exposed properly if you switch to manual aperture on the lens?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TheJeffers posted:

Look for oil on the aperture blades. The 35mm f/2 AF is infamous for this problem, and it makes things sticky.

There is something that looks like that. Is there a way to fix it?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Phanatic posted:

I would just send it off to Nikon for service. They can apparently fix it for less than $100. Trying to DIY it is probably not worth the risk.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I've had this done at KEH, it's $135 flat IIRC plus shipping and it's pretty quick service. Double check if Nikon is cheaper, but it's a solid alternative.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I have what is perhaps a very OCD question, but:

Here are four images of some birds. They were taken with the same lens, at the same focal length, at roughly comparable ISO, with different camera bodies, in different lighting conditions. Let's start with these two:

These were taken with a Canon XSi, a 12MP DSLR from 2009:

Detail is good in these. Resolution isn't spectacular, but individual feathers are easy to pick out and overall the details appear very clear. Cool.

This image was taken with the same cheap lens (Canon EF-S 55-250 IS II) - but on an a6000.

It has good detail, too. But are 2x the MP and much better sensitivity on paper leading this image to wipe the floor with the others? It's debateable, but I think it looks a little sharper overall.

Then, this image.
It's also taken with the a6000 / 55-250 combo. But it doesn't seem to match the others in image quality. Sure, the lighting isn't as good, but the ISO is pretty close to the others. What happened here? I'm feeling a little paranoid because this one was taken after I had to clean a fingerprint off of my a6000 sensor. I used Eclipse Liquid and a sensor swab, so I don't think it should be a problem, but lots of my pictures have been coming out like this since the cleaning. Is this concern just due to overly picky pixel-peeping, lack of critical focus, the a6000's resolution overcoming the lens, or does it look like there might still be some smudge residue on the sensor filter? Assuming that this is something that one could even determine by looking at images rather than the hardware.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 11, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It mostly looks like you missed focus combined with compression not agreeing with what you wanted. You can always just inspect and reclean your sensor, but maybe take it to a professional if you're worried that you might damage it this time.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
dear god why was there a loving fingerprint on your sensor?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

RangerScum posted:

dear god why was there a loving fingerprint on your sensor?

Changing lenses outside on a rough trail, just slipped in my hands. It was just the very slightest contact between the optical filter and my left ring finger, but enough to leave a perceptible mark. It happened when I was going out to take landscape photos with a wide angle lens, but realizing that I would want to photograph some wildlife on the way up the hill. Could have just taken two bodies, but I wanted to travel light. Could have just taken one drat lens and do what I set out to do, but no. I had to bring the zoom along, just in case.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
There are so many variables at play here. Hand-holding blur, subject motion, focus off just a touch, moving after you've locked focus, where focus is locked, lighting conditions, web compression, ISO, editing...

There is nothing glaringly wrong. I think the focus is maybe just off a touch, plus the main subject is in shadow and backlit with shittier light than the other photos. Your sensor is fine.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Focusing on the 0 using the liveview screen:

Focusing on the 0 using the viewfinder:

I read (whether true or not) that it is not unusual to have discrepancy between both modes as they use different methods of focusing but loving hell that is quite a bit off isn't it?

Taken with a 50mm (75mm equivalent) at f1.8 from around 50cm away and there is 6cm difference in focus. Should I just send it to Nikon and hope it's not expensive?

Edit: Pretty sure it's a body problem as the issue seems to persist with other lenses

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did you try the AF fine tuning in the menus?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've changed lenses in the middle of a wildly violent mosh pit full of sweaty people and still not got a fingerprint on my sensor.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Beige posted:

Focusing on the 0 using the liveview screen:

Focusing on the 0 using the viewfinder:

I read (whether true or not) that it is not unusual to have discrepancy between both modes as they use different methods of focusing but loving hell that is quite a bit off isn't it?

Taken with a 50mm (75mm equivalent) at f1.8 from around 50cm away and there is 6cm difference in focus. Should I just send it to Nikon and hope it's not expensive?

Edit: Pretty sure it's a body problem as the issue seems to persist with other lenses

You should be using the middle of that target sheet to focus on (the big fat black rectangle all by its lonesome) and not the edge. Right now you could be hitting anything in that area with the phase detect sensors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

404notfound posted:

Did you try the AF fine tuning in the menus?

The D3100 doesn't have that unfortunately.

I just tested the same lens on a D3200 and it's perfectly focused in liveview and through the viewfinder. So my D3100 is the problem :(

timrenzi574 posted:

You should be using the middle of that target sheet to focus on (the big fat black rectangle all by its lonesome) and not the edge. Right now you could be hitting anything in that area with the phase detect sensors

I'm afraid the problem persists but thanks for the heads up.