Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Grizzwold posted:

Hell, Carver could have still tossed the codex to Danik, and then shot him when he reached for it and was distracted/went to put it in the machine. I swear nobody in video games seems to remember they have guns in cutscenes.

They also forget they have helmets, which is arguably worse - we've had exposure to vacuum (and I'm not sure how this end sequence doesn't count), an ice planet, and crazy men with bullet-guns, and all those problems could have been sorted if Isaac and co remembered they have the ability to hermetically seal themselves inside bullet-resistant lifeboats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Don't forget in the last game where Issac took off his helmet as a crazy man was trying to stab him in the eye. That always stands out to me.

e; I mean I know forgetting obvious solutions when the plot demands it is a thing, but that doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 7, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Carver is the stupidest human being who ever lived.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Someone somewhere somehow thought Danik's end was cool and satisfactory and probably ironic. It almost feels like a gently caress you to the player until you look back on everything else that was wrong with this game and realize "yeah...of course they did that".

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

That was visually impressive and really dumb.

Grizzwold posted:

Don't forget in the last game where Issac took off his helmet as a crazy man was trying to stab him in the eye. That always stands out to me.

e; I mean I know forgetting obvious solutions when the plot demands it is a thing, but that doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens.

I took that as the Marker signal subconsciously making Isaac drop the helmet himself. Still dumb, but he does has a malevolent entity in his brain doing weird and contradictory poo poo all that game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As someone so eloquently put in the comments of the video, my own thoughts on the game's ending are echoed:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

To be fair (and this took me 3 playthroughs to notice), when Stross jumps Issac, the screwdriver's stopped by his helmet on the first jab. It even throws sparks before the helmet retracts and drags you into QTE-land.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Speaking of how dumb the game is the first thing the Moon does when it gets free is rip apart the Machine City that is holding it. When Isaac turns it back on there is no machine left to do anything.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Samovar posted:

Humanity doesn't deserve saving in this game.

edit: When can we expect you to Finish the Fright?

David Copperfield fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 8, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Ted_Haggard posted:

my sister, seeing this video and looking at Danik "Why is Elton John singing the song that ends the earth"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hate it when writers decide to have the characters be incredibly stupid/incompetent in a cutscene so that they can have drama/the set-piece they worked on before the script was finished.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

David Copperfield posted:

Humanity doesn't deserve saving in this game.

edit: When can we expect you to Finish the Fright?

In order for there to be a break to simmer down a bit from that loving ridiculous bullshit ending, the next video will be the final co-op mission vid with JamieTheD. Then sometime next week probably I will be starting the DLC with the two-perspectives thing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dead Space 3 has been like listening to this brilliant artist show off their exhibits and work. And they're legitimately talented! They take you down the hall and show you sweeping murals of alien worlds and old cities buried in caves beneath ice and snow. They've got figurines and dolls posed delicately behind glass in cabinets in the hall they sculpted by hand. They did model work on sci-fi movies and they've got these dioramas of ships being torn apart by meteors and robotic soldiers fighting wars and you can just stoop down and explore the fine details all day if you had the time. Imagine spending an evening at H.R. Giger's house sipping tea and talking about his art.

And then the brilliant artist smiles and says "well hey, if you think this stuff is good, then you'd really like my writing". And you're a polite guest and say "sure, I'd like to see some of that too." So they take you down the hall, and they have a study with a book shelf and a computer and soft, comfortable chairs. And you sit down with the artist and they read you something that they've been working on.

And it's garbage. It's terrible. Hackneyed, cliche-ridden, possibly offensive. And you're stuck here listening to this crap and you're desperately ignoring everything they're saying and thinking about alien robots and beautiful wreckage fields and provocative moon slums until you just can't anymore and fake being tired so you can go home politely. And it taints everything else. You can't expect an artist to be good at all artistic mediums, that's ridiculous. But they think that's the best part. They think it's better than anything else they do so well. They think "yeah my art's alright but my writing and plot is really where it's at." And it taints your experience visiting them and enjoying your art.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Travic posted:

Speaking of how dumb the game is the first thing the Moon does when it gets free is rip apart the Machine City that is holding it. When Isaac turns it back on there is no machine left to do anything.
All those other parts were clearly just ornamental.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The best part about Carver's sudden attack of conscience is that if you've been playing the game single-player, you've gotten no character development or significant backstory on him. So the big grumpy jerk who's been popping up occasionally to shout mean things at Isaac suddenly decides "WHOA LOVE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN LITERALLY ALL OF HUMANITY" for no apparent reason.

Obviously, its not like playing the co-op missions and learning about Carver has actually helped things at all, it just manages to be even dumber in single-player.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I said this earlier, but--

Blind Sally posted:

Carver is actually kind of an idiot [...] This is canon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

pkfan2004 posted:

Dead Space 3 has been like listening to this brilliant artist show off their exhibits and work. And they're legitimately talented! They take you down the hall and show you sweeping murals of alien worlds and old cities buried in caves beneath ice and snow. They've got figurines and dolls posed delicately behind glass in cabinets in the hall they sculpted by hand. They did model work on sci-fi movies and they've got these dioramas of ships being torn apart by meteors and robotic soldiers fighting wars and you can just stoop down and explore the fine details all day if you had the time. Imagine spending an evening at H.R. Giger's house sipping tea and talking about his art.

And then the brilliant artist smiles and says "well hey, if you think this stuff is good, then you'd really like my writing". And you're a polite guest and say "sure, I'd like to see some of that too." So they take you down the hall, and they have a study with a book shelf and a computer and soft, comfortable chairs. And you sit down with the artist and they read you something that they've been working on.

And it's garbage. It's terrible. Hackneyed, cliche-ridden, possibly offensive. And you're stuck here listening to this crap and you're desperately ignoring everything they're saying and thinking about alien robots and beautiful wreckage fields and provocative moon slums until you just can't anymore and fake being tired so you can go home politely. And it taints everything else. You can't expect an artist to be good at all artistic mediums, that's ridiculous. But they think that's the best part. They think it's better than anything else they do so well. They think "yeah my art's alright but my writing and plot is really where it's at." And it taints your experience visiting them and enjoying your art.

Agreed. This game has great art and impressive settings, but the writing is such terrible, phoned in imitation of Hollywood cliche garbage that you can't appreciate the good elements.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
I loving hate what they did to Ellie in DS3. In DS2 Ellie would kick the living poo poo out of the big bad guy

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
To add to Carver's stupidity, there's also that period of 45-60 seconds after Danik gets impaled where Isaac, Carver and Ellie are just standing around doing gently caress all instead of, you know, turning the goddamn machine back on. Dead Space 3 gets really loving stupid at the end, and it was stupid to begin with.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I was hoping that DS3 Ellie was a unitologist clone, and the Real Ellie would bust in at the last second and crash a space ship into Danik.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'm a couple updates behind, but have they even tried to explain why she has her eye back? :staredog: I mean, we don't even know if it's possible in this ~future universe~ to just pop in a fresh new eyeball. I figured that's something they'd at least try to mention.

Sure, she says "you owe me a new eye" in #2, but I figured that was more of a subtle jab of "this happened because I brought Stross along, which you insisted on." I guess she was just being literal!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They bought her a bionic eye after DS2, it's hinted as possible by the giant babies that end up as lurkers, these are cloned, growth hormone-filled organ banks for miners and so on to get new arms and legs and organs.

They also make very good footballs and it's sad they turned the lurkers into nacramiffed dogs this time around.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Is the ending song really Ephemeral by Pelican? How fitting, since they're also a very generic post-rock band.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Boy howdy am I glad I never bought this game.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I think what's most infuriating about the writing is that the elements were there to make a better version of the story. Like, the framework is solid: find a way to stop the markers, because poo poo is hosed, and then find out that the moon is controlling the markers because it's actually an eldritch abomination formed from Convergence. Like, if a number of things were handed differently and made to not be utter garbage, the story could be pretty good.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

AstroWhale posted:

Is the ending song really Ephemeral by Pelican? How fitting, since they're also a very generic post-rock band.

It is, but I think 'Cry of the Ancients' is more appropriate considering they used it during the game (It's the second song that plays during the credits before the music loops).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar
So many stupid moments in that final part :psyduck:

Not only does Carver give the one thing which can save humanity to Evil Elton John, Isaac and Ellie then spend so long on their final goodbye instead of taking two steps and fixing the machine that's right there! that the Dead Moon has time to wake up and send down tentacles to the planet and grab it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am glad that other people agree with my outburst. Truly, Carver is just terrible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geop posted:

I'm a couple updates behind, but have they even tried to explain why she has her eye back? :staredog: I mean, we don't even know if it's possible in this ~future universe~ to just pop in a fresh new eyeball. I figured that's something they'd at least try to mention.

Sure, she says "you owe me a new eye" in #2, but I figured that was more of a subtle jab of "this happened because I brought Stross along, which you insisted on." I guess she was just being literal!

The best part is, if you're paying close attention to Ellie's face in the cutscenes and the PlayStation All Stars artwork, her new eye is a different colour than her first one.

She's got one blue eye and one green one. Isaac cheaped out and didn't even pay for the eye colour match option. :allears:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

nine-gear crow posted:

The best part is, if you're paying close attention to Ellie's face in the cutscenes and the PlayStation All Stars artwork, her new eye is a different colour than her first one.

She's got one blue eye and one green one. Isaac cheaped out and didn't even pay for the eye colour match option. :allears:

Geeze Crow, maybe getting new eyes are pretty expensive and they had to go for the value option because they're totally broke from escaping from Titan with only their lives and a ship. Stasis doesn't solve everything you know.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Goodbye Norton Jean

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

SaffronKit posted:

Geeze Crow, maybe getting new eyes are pretty expensive and they had to go for the value option because they're totally broke from escaping from Titan with only their lives and a ship. Stasis doesn't solve everything you know.

They don't have EarthGov provided UHC in the space future? gently caress this, Danik was right.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isaac says in his emo diary at the start of the LP that they couldn't get Ellie a primo eye because they are poor:

quote:

PERSONAL JOURNAL: Isaac Clarke

We each lost a part of ourselves during that nightmare on the Titan Sprawl. For Ellie it was her eye. Luckily, we found a replacement we could afford. Even though the color doesn’t quite match, at least she can feel whole again.

Me. I lost a part of my soul. And there’s not a drat thing I can do to buy that back. I guess, ultimately, that’s why she left.

People want things they can fix and I’m permanently broken.

Then he quotes Linkin Park for a little while. This log in the text log database is called "I for an Eye" which I think is goddamn hilarious. "I lost a part of my soul, people want things they can fix and I'm permanently broken" is only second to "I killed my soul, this is the only way to defuse my own sins" from MGS2 in terms of hilarious metaphysical ranting from sad people.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ahaha Jesus.

"Oh you lost an eye? You had it easy, Ellie :frogbon:"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Isaac says in his emo diary at the start of the LP that they couldn't get Ellie a primo eye because they are poor:

Then he quotes Linkin Park for a little while. This log in the text log database is called "I for an Eye" which I think is goddamn hilarious. "I lost a part of my soul, people want things they can fix and I'm permanently broken" is only second to "I killed my soul, this is the only way to defuse my own sins" from MGS2 in terms of hilarious metaphysical ranting from sad people.

Colored contact?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geop posted:

Ahaha Jesus.

"Oh you lost an eye? You had it easy, Ellie :frogbon:"

So wait. You're saying all we had to do was invoke your name enough times in the commentary and you would appear?

Well, now I know how the DLC's gonna end. Four-way joke probations! :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

So wait. You're saying all we had to do was invoke your name enough times in the commentary and you would appear?

Well, now I know how the DLC's gonna end. Four-way joke probations! :v:

Oh no, not Blind Sally, JamieTheD, Crow, and then Crow again!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What would be a non dumb way of title dropping in Dead Space? Honestly I don't mind the in-game explanation, it's a lot better than dead space meaning "there's a lot of Dead [things] in [outer] Space because Nockromiffs and Isaac are killing everything." Ellie does suck though. I'm still not sure what her purpose is in the game except to be another side quest to rescue people.
That weird floaty flying things at 13 minutes were pretty cool though. Kinda lovecraftian, mountain of madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know what would've forgiven things some with Carver? They've been hinting he's getting hit hard by the Marker signal. Just have the idiot falter at the end, right there, and hand over the codex. The fact that he's in control of his faculties when he does it, when we've got a goddamn mind control device for a main villain, is just ridiculously stupid.

• Locked thread