Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Go to game versus and play ST

Then go to mikado and see ogawa in xrd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

I'm going to Japan in a few days. Any recommendations on which arcade(s) I should check out while I'm in Tokyo?

Goodpart's post is pretty good. I'd definitely second checking out HEY:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2014/11/06/why-taito-hey-is-one-of-my-favorite-tokyo-arcades/

The Club Sega a couple of doors down from it also has a good range of fighters (inc. original Street Fighter IIRC).

If you end up in Kawasaki (slightly south of Tokyo), check out WAREHOUSE. It's more of a 'gimmick' place in terms of its interior design but it has a decent range of fighters, inc. original Street Fighter with the pressure sensitive buttons.

If you don't saying where you're staying and what other kinds of games you like, I might be able to recommend some other places.

Just to add...

Goodpart posted:

You lucky fucker.

Shinjuku South is, iirc, the best of the lot. There are two arcades that are readily accessible from the station and both are good, but South is markedly better. You're likely to find top level players there across most games.

The Taito Station, right?

http://www.mmcafe.com/arcadeguide/arcades_shinjuku.html#4

Also very good for music games.

quote:

Akihabara has a ton of awesome arcades: my fav was HEY on Chuo Dori because they had all the rad old poo poo that sometimes cost 100¥ for two credits. There was also a healthy SF4 scene there if that's your deal.

They also have a popular 10JPY (10 cents) per credit setup of SF2 (can't remember which specific iteration). Also Street Fighter EX2+ and Fighting Layer (obviously the two biggest draws).

quote:

Most boroughs have a decent arcade though, and few are bad. Even running down to the arcade local to where you're staying is awesome. I stayed in a little ryokan in Ikebukuro and the local arcade there was a tidy little Taito Station next to a noodle joint. It was my nightly trip if we weren't going out.

Ikebukuro, along with Akihabara and Shinjuku, actually has quite a lot of arcades. Approx. 9-10 within 5 mins of the station at my last count. More on the east side vs. the west.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 7, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dias posted:

Defensive or cautious play in any competitive activity is met with jeers from people that don't know poo poo about said activity.

Well, maybe not card games, card gamers hate turbo aggro decks, but that's because they can't play their huge expensive (in more than one sense) cards and that makes them sad.

Nah, rushdown is called spamming combos just as often as zoning is called spamming moves. Competitive games just bring out the Dunning–Kruger and it's even better when people who's only experience is beating on their equally clueless friends and siblings many years ago jump into online for the first time.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Mortal Kombat X is gay,
And is neither fun to watch or play

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

AndyElusive posted:

Spamming a cheap move is utter faggotry. Try and defend it if you want, but it won't change the fact that you're a total oval office for doing it.
More than anything though, it's boring as hell to fight against because once you know what move they spam, then you just have to sit there blocking it.
It doesn't necessarily grant you a win though.

I ended up selling MKX Because spammers just ruined it especially the Erron Black ones. i am never going to get another fighting game ever again

:allears:

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

AndyElusive posted:

Spamming a cheap move is utter faggotry. Try and defend it if you want, but it won't change the fact that you're a total oval office for doing it.
More than anything though, it's boring as hell to fight against because once you know what move they spam, then you just have to sit there blocking it.
It doesn't necessarily grant you a win though.

I ended up selling MKX Because spammers just ruined it especially the Erron Black ones. i am never going to get another fighting game ever again

Welcome to the real world.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Got my HRAP.V today. It's sleek and beautiful and feels really good in my hands. The touchpad is nice and the area that opens for the cable is definitely not bad enough to stand out. My biggest surprise was the Kuro buttons. My first thought was that they aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, but then again, I'm not having any of the problems that other people have talked about. They don't squeak at all and they seem to press very evenly. I might just be a little lucky, though. I was worried they wouldn't feel good to use but I don't see these getting in the way. The Hayabusa joystick feels perfectly fine if not great.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Is there any comparable difference between the hayabusa and the standard sanwa jlf stick?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's absurdly clicky.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Pomp posted:

It's absurdly clicky.

It's definitely that. It makes a ton of noise. It's been too long and I don't have enough experience to tell any real differences. I can only note that it feels good to use. This is the first stick I've ever owned. My only experience is with some sticks my friends owned (V3 SA and I don't know what the other one was specifically, I think the original TE), but that was a few years ago.

I probably don't know enough to even realize why certain buttons are better. I was just worried the Kuro buttons would be a squeaky nightmare after reading more and more about them. I found out the R2 button is squeaky after using it for a bit. People say they break in. I'll find out!

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 8, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

:siren:HEADS UP ANYONE WHO NEEDS A PS4 TE2:siren:

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Faust is a jerk in AC+R.~

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
if you dont read the EXVS thread, Full Boost is getting a huge patch on the 28th that adds new characters, online QOL updates, and lets you earn in-game credit to buy/rent DLC. Also getting a 3800 yen budget edition http://www.4gamer.net/games/233/G023336/20150430123/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
counters to projectile spamming in MKX:

- play shirai ryu takeda, block projectile, punish with teleport punch

- play Goro, use stomp the second they get the projectile off, EX punchwalk them as soon as they get up

there's probably a ton but these are the ones I got because SR Takeda and Goro are hilarious

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like i'm loving awful at fighters and even I came up with that pretty fast

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pressing down is a good option too

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
some projectiles hit crouching players, I think HW Jax's rockets do at the very least

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Or don't play MKX at all, the best option available

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Cabbagepots posted:

Or don't play MKX at all, the best option available

What do you recommend then Cabbagepots? Your giantess fetish fighting game?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Helbeast posted:

no but he looooves skullgirls

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Neo Helbeast posted:

If it were out already, then yes, absolutely

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can appreciate, a brand with sense of high self-esteem.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I don't know why people harp on about the fact that it's a "giantess fetish" fighter like it's this huge secret or something, even though I unironically present it as such.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We just want the world to know about your fetish as much as you do.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
you jest but you know for a fact that when 'maidens drops the entire SomethingAwful universe is going to be set aflame by the hottest goon-made fighter in town

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cabbagepots posted:

you jest but you know for a fact that when 'maidens drops the entire SomethingAwful universe is going to be set aflame by the hottest goon-made fighter in town
im okay with dying in a fire if i take you with me

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thankfully, you are so loving incompetent that said "videogame" will never come out, so the entire SomethingAwful universe will be spared being set aflame by the hottest goon-made fighter in town.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hmm let me just check to see if we've shifted through a portal into backawards planet. Nope, it seems we're still in reality, where you're a moron, and you will know my name is The Lord when I loose my 'maidens upon thee.

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 8, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
dont listen to them cabbagepots im on board the gigamaidens train

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Totally gonna hold an offline tourney for Gigamaidens. Winner gets to spend prize money on having a woman stomp on him/her.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
New Yoshi design for Tekken 7 unveiled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1J2fSbu4E

Guess they've done the insect thing to death so it's time to venture into sea creatures.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Octoyoshi is cool as gently caress. Is there a console release date for T7?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sade posted:

Octoyoshi is cool as gently caress. Is there a console release date for T7?

not yet. its coming to PC too, which is cool

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How the gently caress did Yoshimitsu turn into Cthulhu?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I wonder if this Yoshimitsu hates calamari.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How the gently caress did Yoshimitsu turn into Cthulhu?
He's an alien. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

TE2s going on sale on the madcatz site in like 35 minutes

i would start checking 10 min prior. I bought one during the capcom cup and the store page was up 15 minutes before they said it would

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I missed out the Xrd TE2, due to their website having account issues if you're Canadian but registered on the US sites. My advice is to register and get everything settled now since the sticks will be sold out in like 10 minutes and their shopping cart system is rear end. (though I'm not sure if people care about this one that much since it's just the SF4 one)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

it's a ps4 stick and evo is in a month

people care

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Evo's gonna suck dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU