Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Moridin920 posted:

Does this mean I (as a white college degree holding male) can go to Korea and get a decent job and know 0 Korean?

You're better off going to Japan, as it's nicer on every conceivable level except pay, but even that's evening out as Korea gets more expensive and Japan gets cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

A shocking number of people in Asia consider themselves to be literally a different, superior species to other races

Like I wasn't allowed to donate blood in Korea because foreign blood is different and if you injected it into a Korean the Korean would die

That might just be because you had the AIDS you filthy foreigner :argh:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I've also heard the the tape recorder thing about teaching foreign languages in Japan. What the gently caress is wrong with the people who thought this is a good idea?

Language pedagogy in Asia is non-existent. Students get English yelled at them and are kind of expected to just figure it out through osmosis. Until they get to high school, then their magically supposed to read and understand asinine texts about the finer points of Confucian morals and/or electron microscopy or other such nonsense.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Let us English posted:

Language pedagogy in Asia is non-existent. Students get English yelled at them and are kind of expected to just figure it out through osmosis. Until they get to high school, then their magically supposed to read and understand asinine texts about the finer points of Confucian morals and/or electron microscopy or other such nonsense.

My girlfriend never left China and her English is amazing. I thought she studied overseas or something but nope.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

What is "perverted sex"?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JaucheCharly posted:

What is "perverted sex"?

If you enjoyed it it's perverted.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

angel opportunity posted:

I learned Chinese my first two semesters from a guy from Taiwan who hadn't been back to Taiwan in like fifty years.

We learned stuff like:

我管這個人叫麗麗

這個人多麼好啊

我在中國住 (we learned this word order as like the standard word order)

Haha, oh man that's classic! Especially if you don't know any Chinese.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

鴨が葱を背負って来る

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

syscall girl posted:

If you enjoyed it it's perverted.

"She was strangely aroused by his foreign, sour smell of beer and cheese. His large moustache bristled with sexual energy as he flung his cape around her. Taking her down a road that would end in drugs, prostitution, madness and the aids."

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

"She was strangely aroused by his foreign, sour smell of beer and cheese. His large moustache bristled with sexual energy as he flung his cape around her. Taking her down a road that would end in drugs, prostitution, madness and the aids."

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
The amount of aids horror and humour in sleazy HK cinema of the 90s is actually quite staggering. Its just aids all over. Aids ex machina in Daughter of Darkness comes to mind

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spankmeister posted:

learn some chinese

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Modest Mao posted:

learn some chinese

the stories in this thread aren't really selling china and asia in general as a place I want to be and learn the languages of

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Taiwan owns though. Japan is okay. South east asia is cool if you're that kind of person.

edit: I've never been to Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia but anyways those countries also speak chinese. Not that Japan speaks chinese though.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 8, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lufiron posted:

the stories in this thread aren't really selling china and asia in general as a place I want to be and learn the languages of

Typical laowai mentality of thinking bilingualism will move then away from Jesus (as English is God's language)

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
because of the ASPM gene, the white man has a natural deficiency in the perception and recognition of the tones that are so essential to comprehending the oriental tongues, so you're not missing anything

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Might.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Morkies posted:

because of the ASPM gene, the white man has a natural deficiency in the perception and recognition of the tones that are so essential to comprehending the oriental tongues, so you're not missing anything

Sounds like a weak willed white boy who also blames genes for being a crying fatty

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

spankmeister posted:

LMAO

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

caberham posted:

My girlfriend never left China and her English is amazing. I thought she studied overseas or something but nope.

Yeah, I notice that language majors in general are pretty good at that; I know a girl in China who studies Chinese but she also is very fluent in Thai and is pretty good in English too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I hate these "guess her age" games. It could be anywhere from 17-47, but I think I'll try 28.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Let us English posted:

lol this

also the misuse of they're was a nice touch lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is impressive in a way that you can have one to three hours of English class every single day for 10+ years and come out of that with the ability to speak or understand zero English whatsoever.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I agree post more cool pictures from people who know how to take pictures

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Modest Mao posted:

learn some chinese

knee how?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
The history of the world tells a tale of the continual displacement of populations, each by a worthier successor, and humanity gains thereby. We ourselves are no descendents of the aborigines of Britain, and our colonists were invaders of the regions they now occupy as their lawful home. But the countries into which the Anglo-Saxon race can be transfused are restricted to those where the climate is temperate. The Tropics are not for us, to inhabit permanently; the greater part of Africa is the heritage of people differently constituted to ourselves. On that continent, as elsewhere, one population continually drives out another. Consider its history as it extends over successive centuries. We note how Arab, Tuarick, Fellatah, Negroes of uncounted varieties, Cadre, Hottentot surge and reel to and fro in the struggle for existence. It is into this free flight among all present that I wish to see a new competitor introduced-namely, the Chinaman. The gain would be immense to the whole civilized world if we were to out-breed and finally displace the negro, as completely as the latter has displaced the aborigines of the West Indies. The magnitude of the gain may be partly estimated by making the converse supposition –namely, the loss that would ensue if China were somehow to be depopulated and restocked by negroes.

The pressure of population in China is enormous, and its outflow is great and increasing. There is no lack of material for a suitable immigration into Africa. I do not say that it would be possible at any moment to persuade communities of men and women from Southern China to establish themselves in Africa; but I am assured, by excellent authorities, that occasions of political disturbances frequently arise when it would be practicable to do so by the promise of a free, or nearly free, grant of land. The Chinese have a land hunger, as well as a love for petty traffic, and they would find a field in which to gratify both of these tastes on the East African Coast. There are many Chinese capitalists resident in foreign parts who might speculate in such a system and warmly encourage it. If once successfully started, it ought to maintain itself. The colonist could not starve; and when they began to succeed they would send money to their relatives to enable them to follow, just as they now do from the many other parts of the world where they are located. For these reasons it is probable that the streams of emigration from China have sufficient "head" to enable them to reach and overflow the coasts of Eastern Africa if they were watched and judiciously diverted in that direction.

I have finally to speak of the political effort necessary to secure a free right of occupancy and of settlement at suitable points on the coast. No very serious obstacle seems to stand in the way; certainly none was met with when Liberia was founded. It is probable that as the success of such an enterprise would be of equally great value to all nations commercially interested in those parts, no national jealousy would be excited by its promotion, and the necessary territory could be obtained with little difficulty and at a small cost, to be advanced in the first instance as a charge on the land and hereafter to be redeemed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

tl;dr

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

negroids should be displaced from africa by the oriental race, who are uniquely suited to the task

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

kinda like in my animes?

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

kinda like in my animes?

Perhaps, though wild orientals, contrary to their propaganda apparatus, have small slated eyes, small breasts, and straight black hair. The part about them having psychic and 'kung fu' superpowers is true, though exaggerated.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

i want you to keep posting because of the way you are so good at it thanks

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Jilted bride contemplates jumping.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Blistex posted:

Jilted bride contemplates jumping.

The prevalence of suicide in most oriental cultures is a truly amazing piece of social technology.

It allows them to bleed off the weak willed members of their society without the costly government sterilization programs that are necessary in the western world.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Morkies posted:

The history of the world tells a tale of the continual displacement of populations, each by a worthier successor, and humanity gains thereby. We ourselves are no descendents of the aborigines of Britain, and our colonists were invaders of the regions they now occupy as their lawful home. But the countries into which the Anglo-Saxon race can be transfused are restricted to those where the climate is temperate. The Tropics are not for us, to inhabit permanently; the greater part of Africa is the heritage of people differently constituted to ourselves. On that continent, as elsewhere, one population continually drives out another. Consider its history as it extends over successive centuries. We note how Arab, Tuarick, Fellatah, Negroes of uncounted varieties, Cadre, Hottentot surge and reel to and fro in the struggle for existence. It is into this free flight among all present that I wish to see a new competitor introduced-namely, the Chinaman. The gain would be immense to the whole civilized world if we were to out-breed and finally displace the negro, as completely as the latter has displaced the aborigines of the West Indies. The magnitude of the gain may be partly estimated by making the converse supposition –namely, the loss that would ensue if China were somehow to be depopulated and restocked by negroes.

The pressure of population in China is enormous, and its outflow is great and increasing. There is no lack of material for a suitable immigration into Africa. I do not say that it would be possible at any moment to persuade communities of men and women from Southern China to establish themselves in Africa; but I am assured, by excellent authorities, that occasions of political disturbances frequently arise when it would be practicable to do so by the promise of a free, or nearly free, grant of land. The Chinese have a land hunger, as well as a love for petty traffic, and they would find a field in which to gratify both of these tastes on the East African Coast. There are many Chinese capitalists resident in foreign parts who might speculate in such a system and warmly encourage it. If once successfully started, it ought to maintain itself. The colonist could not starve; and when they began to succeed they would send money to their relatives to enable them to follow, just as they now do from the many other parts of the world where they are located. For these reasons it is probable that the streams of emigration from China have sufficient "head" to enable them to reach and overflow the coasts of Eastern Africa if they were watched and judiciously diverted in that direction.

I have finally to speak of the political effort necessary to secure a free right of occupancy and of settlement at suitable points on the coast. No very serious obstacle seems to stand in the way; certainly none was met with when Liberia was founded. It is probable that as the success of such an enterprise would be of equally great value to all nations commercially interested in those parts, no national jealousy would be excited by its promotion, and the necessary territory could be obtained with little difficulty and at a small cost, to be advanced in the first instance as a charge on the land and hereafter to be redeemed.

So, did the withe man make it or did he perish from this world? Post the rest and stop teasing.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

waitwhatno posted:

So, did the withe man make it or did he perish from this world? Post the rest and stop teasing.

The struggle is not yet over, but the hour is late and the power of the Elders of Zion is not yet begun to wane.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Morkies posted:

I'm sure that Francis Galton would be happy that somebody still reads his works. Where would we be without racial hygiene and eugenics?

Would commit racial defilement. Over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Asian women are very hot, but other woman are hot too.

Anyway, that's my story. Thanks for listening.

• Locked thread