Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
I've only watched three of the Thi4f videos but I fully intend to watch them all... uh, some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been using the thi4f videos as background noise while I play kerbal but i actively watch the dark mod vids.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Your attention please: if you are going to watch any of the Dark Mod missions, then make sure you watch this one.

So... what happens if you lay a few of those land mines just before you pick up that last letter there?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mzbundifund posted:

So... what happens if you lay a few of those land mines just before you pick up that last letter there?

I'm not sure, but based on some discussion I've read about possibly moving the note before reading it, if you manage to break the scripting for that area in any way then you basically just wind up stuck.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I am enjoying both halves, both ripping mercilessly on G4rr4t [and occasionally showing a few decent parts of the game where it could have been so much better] and showing off the love and care of the Dark Mod, grime and all.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Guess I'll continue with the Requiem videos. I was gonna catch up on TDM, no need to now.:shrug:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I can see hear why the level was designed to have you around those singers for as long as possible; they have amazing voices.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the level goes next. Everyone - including Looking Glass - seemed to be of the opinion that normal human-inhabited environments were the way to go after Thief 1, but personally I like exploring the more unusual, maybe "uninhabited" places as well.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I think that the burning witch that was mentioned in the Tales of the City book on this map was actually the Lich Queen, not the Hag. The ruby statuette is probably another dark mod map. It's nice for them to build this interconnected world thing, and it seems like we're going to get into more of that Lovecraftian stuff that has been occasionally hinted at in both the dark mod and the original Thief trilogy.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Fabulousvillain posted:

Guess I'll continue with the Requiem videos. I was gonna catch up on TDM, no need to now.:shrug:
Actually, all TDM videos are good stuff. You should definitely watch them. Same with the Thi4f videos.

Just because Thi4f is a game that should be mocked doesn't mean the LP videos aren't worth watching. Bobbin & Co. make them quite worth my time to watch!

As for the Requiem map so far, all I can say is GODDAMN GIMME MORE. It's just clever and beautiful and well done and has so much going on around it that you know it's a living, breathing city and you're just one person in it. And how that video ended? I felt like "Aw yeah here we go" :dance:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Shei-kun posted:

Actually, all TDM videos are good stuff. You should definitely watch them. Same with the Thi4f videos.

Just because Thi4f is a game that should be mocked doesn't mean the LP videos aren't worth watching. Bobbin & Co. make them quite worth my time to watch!

As for the Requiem map so far, all I can say is GODDAMN GIMME MORE. It's just clever and beautiful and well done and has so much going on around it that you know it's a living, breathing city and you're just one person in it. And how that video ended? I felt like "Aw yeah here we go" :dance:

I'm one of the three people who watch all the Thi4f videos and a few of the TDM. With that said Requiem is goddamn taffing amazing so far.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 9, 2015

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

That requiem map is something else, I'm surprised at the level of quality in that one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I do like that the big glass skylight had imperfect glass.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ulvirich posted:

That requiem map is something else, I'm surprised at the level of quality in that one.

Same here- somebody should hire the mapmaker(s) for the actual fourth Thief game, holy poo poo. Anyone know what that song at the end was, or who the singers were?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 9, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Same here- somebody should hire the mapmaker(s) for the actual fourth Thief game, holy poo poo. Anyone know what that song at the end was, or who the singers were?

As a matter of fact, I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxS1ML88P1I

The singer's name is Marianne Lihannah, and the work was evidently composed sometime around AD 1220.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Awesome, thanks Bobbin! That song is definitely one of the level's high points, and hopefully we'd see more of its like in the level.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Warning: contains one hell of a fight scene.

Pinned Castinet: Mourning Bell

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Ah, Bobbin. You sounded so depressed when you said "Welcome back to Thi4f" that time. Don't worry. It's almost finished. Then you'll be free of the brain-melting stupidity.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Ghostwoods posted:

Ah, Bobbin. You sounded so depressed when you said "Welcome back to Thi4f" that time. Don't worry. It's almost finished. Then you'll be free of the brain-melting stupidity.

Not necessarily. We could always ask him to guest in Watch_Dogs again.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

kalonZombie posted:

Not necessarily. We could always ask him to guest in Watch_Dogs again.

Oh, man. That isn't just cold, it's actively cruel. NuGarret may be a drooling cretin with less personality than the plank of wood his ancestor appeared to be, but at least he's not an actively hateful sociopath with little beady eyes and an "Iconic(tm)" cap.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That guardbox moment was just magical. Still, it deserves mentioning that even for its final big setpieces Thi4f resorts to ripping off its much better prequels. Project Cetus, that was a great level, let's water it down.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 11, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was that the vasa?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Aaaaaah gently caress stephen gallagher what the gently caress is the point of that ship?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm sure there's a Dnd feat exploited in a campaign that lead to the events of that battle sequence. My guess is hide in plain sight used wrong.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have no idea why but for me at least, your youtube image on lpix is broken. If I go directly to it, it comes up for a brief flash and is instantly gone, despite ublock not having any filters for it (at least, none that I put in, and other lpix images work fine). Mildly annoying because I use youtube to watch the videos because I hate dailymotion's autoplay and also magic actions lets me fit youtube videos to full window size.

Edit: I have found something that at least looks like the three-bladed "surgical scissors" in Thi4f. Took me a bit to track down the actual source because it's been used like crazy in a bunch of clickbait site articles about crazy medical tools.

(source)

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 12, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Early surgical procedures are wonderful.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That hiding spot was magical.

Just.

Just beautiful.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I played through Requiem tonight- it took about 4 hours, and I'm still missing a couple thou in loot. You guys are in for an astounding new dynamic.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 12, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Those are the opposite of scissors.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

taiyoko posted:

I have no idea why but for me at least, your youtube image on lpix is broken. If I go directly to it, it comes up for a brief flash and is instantly gone, despite ublock not having any filters for it (at least, none that I put in, and other lpix images work fine). Mildly annoying because I use youtube to watch the videos because I hate dailymotion's autoplay and also magic actions lets me fit youtube videos to full window size.

Same for me, I just fetch the polsyed YT link with "show selection source" but, well, it's kinda odd.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

goatface posted:

Those are the opposite of scissors.

We never said the Thi4f devs were smart.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Pretty sure Kalon could survive a cudgeling to the head, doubt the rest of us would be able to though :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Requiem continues.

Thief's Shock
Builders' Last Stand
Real Objectives
Crowns of the Second Seal
Teleni's Last Words
Notes on the Third Seal

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The part with the crown stealing was pretty cool.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

One thing that The Dark Mod definitely lacks are non-human enemies other than the undead. There are spiders and one extremely harmless and innocuous-looking bot and that's pretty much it.

Some of the monsters from the first Thief were downright silly, but sometimes I miss them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Each video of Requiem will impress you more than the one previous. I'll leave it at that. I personally think the stuff implemented in the next section of the fm is a paradigm shift for the game, and should be included in any future stealth game that aspires to Thief-style gameplay. It's that good.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 14, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Each video of Requiem will impress you more than the one previous. I'll leave it at that. I personally think the stuff implemented in the next section of the fm is a paradigm shift for the game, and should be included in any future stealth game that aspires to Thief-style gameplay. It's that good.

I'm intrigued.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Requiem continues.

Bobbin, you tease. That ending. :argh: Easily, this is the best user made map yet.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Can we, like, gather a huge pile of money to throw at the people who made the Requiem map and get them to make a new Thief game?

Because so far I am loving 100% of everything they do with it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Can we, like, gather a huge pile of money to throw at the people who made the Requiem map and get them to make a new Thief game?

Because so far I am loving 100% of everything they do with it.

I would personally recommend against it- although I think the map is incredible, the creator is also apparently a strong follower of Reverend Sun Myung Moon. I think this might have appeared in the first video, but the fm is dedicated to him and there's an easter egg reference to him(46:42, "Delivered us from the Evil", the only casket that gets that line) and everything. Not someone I'd particularly want to give a AAA budget. I'm content for a future devteam to appropriate all his ideas.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I would personally recommend against it- although I think the map is incredible, the creator is also apparently a strong follower of Reverend Sun Myung Moon. I think this might have appeared in the first video, but the fm is dedicated to him and there's an easter egg reference to him(46:42, "Delivered us from the Evil", the only casket that gets that line) and everything. Not someone I'd particularly want to give a AAA budget. I'm content for a future devteam to appropriate all his ideas.

Would you settle for a sequel map?

• Locked thread