Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

dad gay. so what posted:

you are the garbage and the day you are burned in the dumpster no one will care or notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

PyPy posted:

Casa Bonita

Hot Wet Pizza Slut
Jun 10, 2012

lovely to look at
delightful to hold
but if you shall break it
to you it is sold
I went to a restaurant that had finger bowls a very long time ago.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Wet Pizza Slut posted:

I went to a restaurant that had finger bowls a very long time ago.

what was his name?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
the olive gardens

Hot Wet Pizza Slut
Jun 10, 2012

lovely to look at
delightful to hold
but if you shall break it
to you it is sold

dad gay. so what posted:

what was his name?

I don't remember. It was more than 20 years ago.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
burrito bunker

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeh maybe, but honestly how else can an expensive place differentiate? Cooking a piece of beef or making a sauce is something any decent cook can handle just fine. Maybe a top place can afford nicer ingredients. Most of what they offer is presentation and service so what do you want them to do, just slop it down?

Presentation is important, but a plate doesn't have to be some art project to look appealing. In my opinion, everything on a plate should have a reason for being the way it is beyond "it looks pretty", and many fancy restaurants accomplish this with no problem. Basically my point is there are more types of "top/fancy places" beyond the standard french multi-course type, and there is a huge gulf of other ways to present food between "slopping it down" and that over-the-top dessert video someone posted on the first page.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 9, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Neither of those beef dishes are really over the top though. Just a minimum of care gets you there.

So long as the food isn't taller than it is wide I don't usually have an issue.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

dad gay. so what posted:

have you ever tried steakhouse 10 holy poo poo , great food, service, you wouldnt think it from looking at it but holy poo poo some good greek mafia goin onthere

There's a place outside of Fairbanks Alaska called the turtle club that is like that

Like, this is what is directly across the road...

But holy cow if that wasn't the biggest and best prime rib I've ever had.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

gently caress you!!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I hope that they had the busboy wipe that messy table up before they brought your food out.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i liked chuy's baja mexican restaurant in glendale cali

it was a much better chipotle years before chipotle was a thing

wow just searched it on google and it's "ppermanently closed" thanks chiplotle

they had an awesome mexican buffet and they made omelletttes hwoever you want like right there in front of you. i remember being a kid in there and

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i guess the fanciest ever was some restaurant in city walk universal studios in hollywood. i forgot the restaurants name but it was a lovely salty meal and i paid too much money

is there any very fancy restaurant that doesnt suck cock at making food? this thread is making me go to burger king

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

the soup kitchen

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Probably this one place in Beijing where I ate duck tongues.

pepito sanchez posted:

is there any very fancy restaurant that doesnt suck cock at making food? this thread is making me go to burger king

Every time I ate at a fancy (more than about 10 dollars per person, which would be like 20 or 30 in the states) restaurant in China I got sick. Every time.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 9, 2015

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
oh wait during my first vacation here i did go to uruguay's mercado del puerto. they have lots of lovely looking restaurants that are pretty expensive but actually served me the best meat i've ever eaten and made me lust for young cow flesh

ok there it is then

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Halah posted:

There's a place outside of Fairbanks Alaska called the turtle club that is like that

Like, this is what is directly across the road...

But holy cow if that wasn't the biggest and best prime rib I've ever had.

I'd wager it was actually long pork.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Grappa in Park City. Biggest aged strip steak I have ever eaten. In fact it was the first one too big to finish in one seating. We are talking John Candy sized steak.

Holy gently caress the pork belly too....

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Drunk Nerds posted:

Seriouspost, the French Laundry (twice named Best Restaurant in the World) is about 20 miles from my hometown, so my rich Father in Law and I went a couple times.

One time he got pulled over on the way home for DuI, and the cop was just like, "drat you are too white to be arrested, my fault"

No one can beat that, so just shitpost or end thread.

Le Chantecler, now the thread can be closed.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I have eaten at Guy Savoy, L'Ambrosie, L'Arpège, L'Astrance, Le Meurice, Le Pré Catelan, and Pavillon Ledoyen. I think Pavillon Ledoyen was the fanciest. It was a pretty great trip though. Two weeks and I think every dinner was at a michelin star restaurant including the previously mentioned which are all 3 star. For lunch we usually went to a place called Chez Denise which isn't fancy at all but has sort of French country faire.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 9, 2015

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I proposed to the wife at The Russian Tea Room in NYC, http://www.russiantearoomnyc.com/

I tried rwo of the caviars i dont remember which but they were delightful. Try the lamb, It's truly glorious.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

jarofpiss posted:

i went to smith and wollensky once and they served bad cocktails and the food was mediocre. it was also filled to the gills with baby boomers

My experiences with them have been pretty much the same as yours, and while the food was good it didn't blow me away like I expected it to. Maybe I just have bad luck with them, since most people I talk to seem to love that place. Had a much better experience at Frankie and Johnny's (the little one at the corner of 45th and 8th), which is probably one of my favorite places to get a steak. I think the fanciest place I've eaten is the Four Seasons. The food was excellent and the service was great without being overbearing like it can be at high profile places like that. Also the meal was free since my sister was working with them at the time, so that may affect my opinion a little bit.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Before I answer, does a church count? Because I ate the Body of Christ there and it was real fancy also now I'm forever saved from the fires of eternal damnation.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
JD Wetherspoons on a Thursday (Curry Club).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofsdSMuGbg

At least put down some wax paper or something gawd

Are there any videos showing how actually eat that? Either you're dragging your fingers through it and licking them clean until it's gone, or just directly licking it off the table.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
hey dad gay you seem like a man of taste we spoke earlier about me being in culinary school. you got any ideas what i should cook for my final????? its in 2 weeks

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

fyi i will have access to a grill

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

The best meal I ever had was at a place featured on Man vs Food. Nosh, in Portland Maine. I had a $20 fois gras cheeseburger. It was loving amazing, the perfect blend of bullshit rich people food and good eats. The restaurant Duck Fat down the street where everything is deep fried in duck fat is good too.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Philthy posted:

Are there any videos showing how actually eat that? Either you're dragging your fingers through it and licking them clean until it's gone, or just directly licking it off the table.

you sneak in some mcdonalds chicken nuggets and use them to scoop the brown sauce off the table, hth

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the great deceiver posted:

fyi i will have access to a grill

the answer is gonna be a five guys burger

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I had a hamburger once from a place that puts the ground beef in a metal box and steams it, that was pretty insane.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Fullhouse posted:

the answer is gonna be a five guys burger

hmmmmm intriguing choice. i like it...perhaps a peanut encrusted patty?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

im going to a restaurant tonight for my birthday and i will let you guys know how fancy it is. i was advised that i could wear a t-shirt but i should lose my hat that says gently caress the world

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i went to a restaurant but it was like a house and it had lots of forks spoons and poo poo at my seat, but i was like dude i only need one of each

the menu had three items and they were all expensive

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went to le bernadin. I was pretty high. I spilled like three drops of wine on the tablecloth and two waiters came over to cover it up with a napkin. they kept brushing my errant crumbs onto a little plate and taking it away. it was pretty awesome actually

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

dad gay. so what posted:

i once ate at five guys

What were their names

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

a bay posted:

I had a hamburger once from a place that puts the ground beef in a metal box and steams it, that was pretty insane.

I Know a chef that cooks burgers in rear end crack of a 500 pound man. The heat+pressure slow cooks the burgers to perfection.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Philthy posted:

You use a spoon Jesus Christ man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

You use a spoon Jesus Christ man

i think you use chop sticks

• Locked thread