Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Poll's closed and yellow/ally/blue has the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

maswastaken posted:

We, the player, did. The characters knowing about it is a goddamn mess.

Sigma and Phi learned about it in different timelines, which the Sigma and Phi here have yet to recall or may even precede (if that's even the right word for it) the ones who learn that information. We learned about the number zero bomb from Phi, we've heard nothing about it since and the present Phi obviously isn't aware of it because if she were, she'd know about the different passwords.

Just seemed like we found out about multiple passcodes in the same sentence that we were told one of the passcodes, so we'd remember that detail. Doesn't really matter though. Our morphogenic memory is extremely selective!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's supposed be something like remembering a dream: you just get it in bits and patches sort of randomly.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Might also have to do with how far down the timeline the memory you're trying to retrieve is. If you haven't caught up to it time-wise, maybe you can't remember it?

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
I'm interested to know, those of you who have not played the game/don't know what happens, who do you think Zero is?

Please, only those who don't know answer. I would've linked to an actual poll but I worry people who know would vote anonymously and get away with spoiling it if the correct answer got the majority.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Blinus posted:

I'm interested to know, those of you who have not played the game/don't know what happens, who do you think Zero is?

Please, only those who don't know answer. I would've linked to an actual poll but I worry people who know would vote anonymously and get away with spoiling it if the correct answer got the majority.

Well, under the assumption that Zero is actually a benevolent agent trying to save the world in the past by fixing the future, I'm going with Phi. There's a couple reasons why this might not work. Alternatively: the dead lady is Zero and the game's gone on autopilot. The only clue here is she had no bracelet.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe Dio stole the old lady's bracelet. Then again, we don't know how Dio or any of our cast were chosen to be part of this game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Blinus posted:

I don't have a clue. :sigh:

Between the breaks and the ever-changing storyline that I'll admit to not following that closely there's a lot I don't quite follow here. Not to mention the plot of 999 ended with a pretty out-there twist so I don't feel confident making basically any guess ever. Maybe it's Alice and Clover and they've got a mission from their top secret government organization to find someone with the morphogenic abilities.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Blinus posted:

Honestly, I've completely forgotten there even was a Zero in this game that wasn't an AI rabbit.

All I've got is that it's probably not Alice, Clover or Dio. Anyone else seems fair game.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Future Sigma.
code:
I WAS YOU
WILL BE ME
That's the only reason to suspect this.

Meta: It'd be fitting in a game about half-remembering things from different Sigmas in different timelines.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
I think it's too hard to really make a good educated guess here; the last game did a lot to really mess with who you thought would be Zero, but they had at least one identifying mark; the zero bracelet. This time, everything seems to run on autopilot; there's no way to even start forming an explanation because there's nothing to examine. I don't know if Zero is really even there; has there been any other reason than, "No, Zero's totally in the game with us / that's what they did last time!"

At least, that's using real-world logic. Using dramatic storytelling logic, I would say it's either Luna or K. Both of them fit a dramatic profile that works well for this game (Luna is the one trying to get everyone to ally, and is innocent enough to escape notice) (K is sealed in a suit, allowing the original Zero to not get recognized, and wiped their memory to make sure they didn't interfere with the plan).

I guess Phi could be Zero too, but they used "your partner is really the bad guy" last time, so that seems too obvious. Unless Phi is the GOL-M, and the real Phi is Zero.

I also look forward to being wrong, when it's revealed that Dio actually is Zero who had their own memories replaced in order to increase the morphogenic field's danger level.

(Also, since I haven't said it yet, Fedule, this thread is awesome. :unsmith:)

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

HeadGrenade posted:

I don't know if Zero is really even there; has there been any other reason than, "No, Zero's totally in the game with us / that's what they did last time!"

Zero III mentioned way at the beginning that one of the players was his master, or "parent", the true Zero. "Are you a mommy, or a daddy?" etc.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Blinus posted:

By far the most unlikely, non-suspicious participant is Luna. So it's probably her. Or Clover's brother.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Future Sigma.
code:
I WAS YOU
WILL BE ME
That's the only reason to suspect this.

Meta: It'd be fitting in a game about half-remembering things from different Sigmas in different timelines.

the other message of course being

code:
SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING
Which I don't think we've gotten a satisfactory 'she' though I'm going to assume it's the old lady. right now, none of the timelines we progress down would allow us to save the Old Lady, so naturally, our final time line will be exactly about that.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013

Onmi posted:

the other message of course being

code:
SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING
Which I don't think we've gotten a satisfactory 'she' though I'm going to assume it's the old lady. right now, none of the timelines we progress down would allow us to save the Old Lady, so naturally, our final time line will be exactly about that.

I don't know if we will be able to save her. In 999, Mr. 9, the captain, and fake-snake all die, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. The other players all have to survive, but not those three. Finding out who she is will be extremely enlightening, though, I would bet.

Blinus posted:

Zero III mentioned way at the beginning that one of the players was his master, or "parent", the true Zero. "Are you a mommy, or a daddy?" etc.

Right, forgot about that. Also, though, reminded me of something: there are a lot of references in this game towards people's parents and parentage. More than I remember in 999. Alice getting involved because of her father, the "are you a mommy, or a daddy?" line, Phi's missing father, Quark's unclear family relationship with Tenmyoji, Dio's "relation" with a woman getting him punished (and thus, I would guess either Phi or Quark's father). Did I miss any? I dunno, it feel's like this is going to be important somehow, beyond "this is who the character is."

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

HeadGrenade posted:

I don't know if we will be able to save her. In 999, Mr. 9, the captain, and fake-snake all die, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. The other players all have to survive, but not those three. Finding out who she is will be extremely enlightening, though, I would bet.

Unlike those three, though, the lady isn't dead (or her body isn't found) in every timeline. Look at Color Printer's flowchart and you'll notice that she never turns up on the cyan branch (the one we were just on with the bombs).

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
Did the room on the end shift in that timeline? I thought she was stabbed and left stuck between two of the ambidex rooms, so her body might not have been revealed in the Cyan branch.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

HeadGrenade posted:

Did the room on the end shift in that timeline? I thought she was stabbed and left stuck between two of the ambidex rooms, so her body might not have been revealed in the Cyan branch.

She was found inside of the AB room that Sigma/Phi enter to vote.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

HeadGrenade posted:

The knife was between the AB rooms, not the body. At least, it was in the Magenta path. No idea about the Yellow path yet.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Blinus posted:

uhh well i was originally thinking Sigma but with his memory gone for some reason, but if he actually got kidnapped then that's out unless he's a time traveler. not the timeline traveler he is, a time traveler so he can be in two places at once

but it's been way long since i started reading this thread, but mentioning "she" i'd say the old woman is Phi from the phuture (:haw:) maybe Tenmiyugioh is future Sigma, Quark is... kid Sigma? the robot suit man is an actual genuine robot and the whole thing is just an elaborate prank to screw with Dio

would like to see the path where robot suit man gets opened up with that key though, or where Sigma avoids being messed up by the tranquilizer after Dio betrayed him

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dreggon posted:

would like to see the path where robot suit man gets opened up with that key though, or where Sigma avoids being messed up by the tranquilizer after Dio betrayed him

Well, the key was found in one of the rooms encountered in the Luna path. I think so far we've tried to use it once in that one where everyone died, but it didn't work when K was dead. So your best bet for that would be another one of the forks of that same path. Even if Sigma's group doesn't go into the room with the key, one of the other groups still will, and it'll still be found.

(The same goes for any other items that turn up, especially in safes. They exist in all the various forks of the respective Luna/Tenmy/Alice paths. It's just a question of who finds them.)

As for that tranquilizer and Dio's betrayal, it's explicitly a plot lock, which logically means we'll eventually find information in some timeline that will let us deal with that somehow. Whether "deal with that" is Sigma getting off one last accomplishment before dying anyway, or somehow avoiding dying, who knows.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dreggon posted:

the whole thing is just an elaborate prank to screw with Dio

A ~2-year LP to have this as its conclusion?..

Worth it

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I sort of side with the idea that 'the real' Zero is in the future trying to find the answers in the past, a la Twelve Monkeys (it also parallels with 999 nicely). It's probably Sigma as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an 'agent' in the time period, maybe whoever the Gaulem is (the idea being that the Gaulem can be tempomorphically programmed to set up the whole thing). I'd bet on K for that, or possibly Phi.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Blinus posted:

It's Phi. She's too calm and collected about everything. She's probably got some personal reason why she's doing all this (like Akane), but I'm not sure if present Phi is Zero, or if it's a Phi from the future/past/alternate timeline.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

Well, the key was found in one of the rooms encountered in the Luna path. I think so far we've tried to use it once in that one where everyone died, but it didn't work when K was dead. So your best bet for that would be another one of the forks of that same path. Even if Sigma's group doesn't go into the room with the key, one of the other groups still will, and it'll still be found.

(The same goes for any other items that turn up, especially in safes. They exist in all the various forks of the respective Luna/Tenmy/Alice paths. It's just a question of who finds them.)

As for that tranquilizer and Dio's betrayal, it's explicitly a plot lock, which logically means we'll eventually find information in some timeline that will let us deal with that somehow. Whether "deal with that" is Sigma getting off one last accomplishment before dying anyway, or somehow avoiding dying, who knows.

Bear in mind the same rooms aren't always visited in all variants of the paths. The Laboratory was visited in both the Tenmyouji and Alice paths, but not in all of them (it's notably not visited in the Phi route).

The GAULEM bay doesn't seem to have been visited on any other route yet.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bear in mind the same rooms aren't always visited in all variants of the paths. The Laboratory was visited in both the Tenmyouji and Alice paths, but not in all of them (it's notably not visited in the Phi route).

The GAULEM bay doesn't seem to have been visited on any other route yet.

My bad, then. I thought that which three rooms were open were dictated only by the original choice. It's been a while.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is tenmiyugioh/old woman junpei/akane but old and clover is still young because she was frozen

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

We're jumping back to the Yellow branch with Clover this time; teaming up with Tenmyouji won the vote with the backing of 30% of 155 respondents.

We're going to ignore them though. I'm done letting you people run my LP.

VLR OST: [Strain]

So, Option C, I guess.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

No.

I don't think so.
Were you even listening?

That means Option C is out of the question.

I agree. Option C is a no-go.
You'll have to kill me before I'll go anywhere with Dio.

*Sigh*

That was that, then. I might have been able to argue down one person, but two... Besides, there was no way I'd be able to overpower K, grab Quark, and force Clover through the green door.

Fine.
If you guys are that determined, I'll pick another door.

I had two choices:
The blue door...
Or the red door.

Okay, fine.

It has become increasingly apparent that you guys aren't going to fall for this, so I'm going to stop pretending that all three doors are always an option in these choices. Every path that offers you a choice at all has an option that the others will refuse, forcing you to choose between the two
real options. So I'm going to clean up the poll a little, and instead I'm going to show the "fake" options as we pass them.

Me? But...I picked "betray" last time.

Exactly. So I'll just make you pick "ally" this time.
Well, I guess I should say you won't have a choice.

Is that so? Mind telling me how you'll do that?

Heh. I'd love to, but we don't really have time. Ask me again later, okay?

Fine. You're on.

That means Luna, Dio and I will go through the green door.

Which leaves the red door for Quark, K, and me.

Any objections?

Good. Let's go.

Take care of Quark, all right?

You needn't worry.

I'll watch out for him.

Ten seconds remain until Chromatic Doors close.

Hurry up, guys! The door's closing!

Right!

I'm going, I'm going!

With only seconds to spare, we dashed through the blue door.

[Music fades out]

Chromatic Doors closing...

VLR OST: [Placidity]

That seems like kind of a silly question.
I mean, they're all locked, aren't they? How can we go through any of them if they're locked?

Well, this thing here's got a lever on it. Maybe that does something...

Why don't you pull it and find out?

Right.

But only one. Why's that?

They're probably telling us we should go that way.

Might as well, then.

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Nothing... Locked tight. Won't even budge.

The door said "PEC."
Guessing it's not for working out, though.

It looks like it's probably an acronym or abbreviation or something, but...for what? "Prepared Emergency Chocolate"? "Private Ecclesiastical Commode"?

Oh, wait a sec...
There's a manual here...
I think it explains what this room is for...

What's it say?

Hold on...

"Airborne viral contagions—"

Wh-What?

Quiet. Keep reading, Clover.

R-Right...

..."Airborne viral contagions have necessitated this step, which is intended to prevent contamination of the installation."
"All persons wishing to exit the facility must do so through this pressure exchange chamber. Once the chamber has been sealed, the pressure can be lowered to match the surrounding environment."

"Before the PEC can be depressurized, all occupants must be wearing Level A hazmat suits to prevent infection."
"The PEC will not function unless all occupants are wearing appropriate protective equipment."

Are they trying to say the air out there's full of some horrible virus!?

I don't think it's just any virus...

It has to be Radical-6.

Oh man... Then that newspaper article was true.

Several long moments of silence crawled past.
The three of us just stared at one another, our minds working to make sense of this new information.

Eventually, Clover shuffled to one of the lockers and opened it.

Yeah, I figure they are.

We won't be able to get into the pressure exchange thing unless we've got those on, then.

And getting that room to decompress is the only way we'll get outside.

So where is the actual decompression room?

Oh, yeah...

We're on the lower floor right now. Earlier we were on the upper one.

Won't open, huh?

Nope.

Okay, it's probably pointless, but humor me on this...
Let's go put on those suits, come back here, and try the door again.
Maybe, just maybe...we can get out.

Well, it does seem like that's how this thing is supposed to work...
But do you really think it'll be that easy?

It's hard to believe Zero Sr. would make that big of a mistake...

Well, let's have a look around anyway.
Maybe we'll find something about that virus.

Yeah, good idea.

What're we standing around for, then? Get to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This room! :argh:

Also, I'm glad we can trim down the fake options now. That should make voting a bit smoother.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh boy. This is the infamous save-corrupting room. I didn't have problems with it on my playthrough but I was warned not to save in puzzle rooms.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

3DS owners: to properly simulate this room, click here.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 11, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yep, this goddamn room. Actually, it crashes on 3DS too, and it did for me, but they turned off saving in puzzle rooms so at least you can't accidentally corrupt your save.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
This room was such bullshit. And not just because my game crashed twice.

So this LP finally convinced me to buy the game and I'm wondering, does the game railroad you into finishing up all the other endings before getting to the 'good' end? Or is it possible to stumble onto the true ending before completing the other paths? I don't want to google it for fear of spoilers :v:

might be wrong fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 10, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd imagine if someone knew it would be helpful if you could be PMed

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

might be wrong posted:

This room was such bullshit. And not just because my game crashed twice.

So this LP finally convinced me to buy the game and I'm wondering, does the game railroad you into finishing up all the other endings before getting to the 'good' end? Or is it possible to stumble onto the true ending before completing the other paths? I don't want to google it for fear of spoilers :v:

Just play the game normally and don't worry about it

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Ugh, the PEC room. A puzzle in here crashed my 3DS twice, which seems to be a common theme in the thread.

I've been playing through again on a Vita copy recently and it went without a hitch, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to forgive it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My game crashed in this room but my save was fine, thankfully!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yes, there are some problems in this room. Two problems, in fact, that interact in a very bad way.

The first problem is a general issue with saving in puzzle rooms. Because of reasons, when you save in a puzzle room, there is a chance that the savefile can become unusable. This will not be an issue unless you fully quit the game and restart using the save file, and VLR has exactly zero situations that require you to reload a savefile instead of jumping somewhere on the flowchart.

The second problem is a specific issue with this particular room in which the game will randomly crash and kick you out to the menu of whatever system you are using. I gather anecdotally that this can happen in any puzzle room but I've only ever seen it in the PEC and the vast majority of reports also concern this room. (I've heard Crew Quarters cited marginally more often than other rooms)

The result is, if you save in this room and then get the crash, your savefile is toast. The 3DS version gives you only one savefile.

Please don't ever save in puzzle rooms.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fedule posted:

The 3DS version gives you only one savefile.

Please don't ever save in puzzle rooms.

The 3DS version, fortunately, has been patched to disallow saving in this room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I avoided this room's problems by never saving. I just left my 3DS in sleep mode when I wasn't playing.

• Locked thread