Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

FoolyCharged posted:

Why would we consider guessing about that when you just confirmed that making your dude into a nuclear battle tank is totally a thing you can do in this game? Like seriously, a tank. That fires nukes. And most likely at ninjas or some poo poo because saga

Naw, he just said that if an item only has one use, you can't equip it to a robot. Roy can never push the button. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain Bravo posted:

Naw, he just said that if an item only has one use, you can't equip it to a robot. Roy can never push the button. :negative:

That's why we're giving it to Heather :getin:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

akkristor posted:

Metal Gear!?

Close. Metal Wasp!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kheldarn posted:

Close. Metal Wasp!

No, No, that was The Pain.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Robots are weird. Their weirdest interaction is that even if you take an item off and on of a robot until it has 2 uses left, as long as you put it on and rest at an inn, it will return to 1/2 it's original uses. You can even regenerate an item that ends up being 0 on a robot, as long as 1/2 it's original isn't 0.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gotta love the completely anachronistic missile launcher.

Or maybe it's like a giant fireworks cart or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Given the laser swords and so on from the previous game, I'm pretty sure it's an actual missile launcher.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glazius posted:

Roy's a robot. I don't think that maintaining a consistent historical setting was ever a big concern here.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ultrafilter posted:

Roy's a robot. I don't think that maintaining a consistent historical setting was ever a big concern here.

He also has/is a tank. Historical accuracy doesn't seem to have been a big target.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm so sleep deprived for a minute I got this confused with the Fire Emblem LP and thought we were talking about that Roy with a missile launcher. Maybe that would make him useful.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

hahahahahaha you're expecting historical consistency from SaGa oh god can't breathe

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think this is an apt depiction of Roy at this point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chokes McGee posted:

hahahahahaha you're expecting historical consistency from SaGa oh god can't breathe

In fairness, the Romancing SaGa games are a bit better about that.

By "a bit", of course, I mean "yeah in RS3 you fight a moving racecar while standing on the back of another racecar driving down an infinite stretch of road in an otherwise low-fantasy world, and can also recruit a Batman/Zorro amalgamation, his fat fanboy cosplayer, and a snowman".

But it's still better about internal consistency!

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 11, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

By "a bit", of course, I mean "yeah in RS3 you fight a moving racecar while standing on the back of another racecar driving down an infinite stretch of road in an otherwise low-fantasy world, and can also recruit a Batman/Zorro amalgamation, his fat fanboy cosplayer, and a snowman".

I love that snowman. Not great character stats wise, but he gets a really cool unique moment.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sooo roy is a paper mache bot that explodes with the tiniest nudge.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
This is 80s/90s fantasy, they don't care about internal consistency in tech levels, it's all about cramming as much fantastic poo poo into the setting as they can. Think He-Man. Sword-swinging barbarians, laser tech, and magic exist side by side because they look cool.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KataraniSword posted:

Romancing SaGa 3 isn't FFL3, right? It's the real-deal SNES sequel? Because I'm intrigued as hell now.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Having recently finished up a playthrough of this game, I think I reset a few times because I thought you halved weapon uses every time and accidentally dinged one off of a weapon I meant for the robot.

WHOOPS.

Also, my Roy got that specific bow and proceeded to be the same heavy hitter this fight. THEN for most of the rest of the game too because I built him for agility and once he got to the 70s Samurai was an instant enemy wipeout :D

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Romancing SaGa 3 isn't FFL3, right? It's the real-deal SNES sequel? Because I'm intrigued as hell now.

RS3 is a helluva drug. It'll gently caress you up worse than bananas.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sooo roy is a paper mache bot that explodes with the tiniest nudge.

To be fair, in Gundam that sums up almost every mech. Plus Guntank even has the cockpit that looks kinda like Roy's 'eyes'. It was either this or Hildolfr, and Hidolfr doesn't have a head.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

The actual real sequel is Romancing Saga, also for the SNES. Which doesn't have an anywhere near-complete translation. Neither does Romancing Saga II (tho RS1 at least has something in its PS2 remake Minstrel Song). So I guess it is the real sequel in terms of English-understandability.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Chokes McGee posted:

Romancing SaGa 3 is basically proto-SaGa Frontier. SaGa 3 (FFL3) is...just sort of aggressively meh. Here is absolutely everything I remember about it:

1. You have a fixed party of alleged "characters."
2. It's somehow even more confused about how biology works. Your party is all humans/mutants, but can move along a monster > furry > human > cyborg > robot spectrum by jamming bits of dead enemies into themselves. Decide amputating your everything and replacing it with cold steel in an orgy of transhumansim was a bad idea after all? No worries, all it takes to be human again is shoving some rhino chunks or whatever down your gullet. Your robo-gullet. Tired of being a were-stoat? You just need to install more RAM! Humans have that, right? I'm sure they do.
3. ???Time travel???
4. You get a spaceship. Or possibly a timeship. Some kind of ship. It's less cool than it sounds.
5. You fight a tumor with mouths.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
To be fair, the monster meat/robot parts thing makes sense since it had a set party of 2 humans and 2 mutants. You don't get to choose your party, but you have that option if you want a monster/robot anyway.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 11, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gabriel Pope posted:

RS3 is a helluva drug. It'll gently caress you up worse than bananas.

Reading those chapter titles is beautiful. This game is beautiful. I've... I've never wanted anything more in my life. :unsmith:

(except a banana)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Wonderslug posted:

Romancing SaGa 3 is basically proto-SaGa Frontier. SaGa 3 (FFL3) is...just sort of aggressively meh. Here is absolutely everything I remember about it:

This is so disappointing because the descriptions of events and mechanics seem to have so much potential, but I absolutely trust your assessment of aggressively meh.

How do you have tumor mouth, a time ship, and cannibalizing your robot enemies until you are a robit AND end up forgettable?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Old Greg posted:

How do you have tumor mouth, a time ship, and cannibalizing your robot enemies until you are a robit AND end up forgettable?

When the calvary arrives mid-boss fight in the form of a flying time spaceship firing lasers as backup and your response is "ehn :geno:", something has gone wrong with your game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly I enjoyed FFL3 (as the only Final Fantasy Legend game I owned). It has a different progression system than the previous two games -- everyone gains experience and levels up and buys equipment/spells that don't break and so on. But it still has plenty of wacky weird SaGa moments. My favorite bit probably is when your fifth party member performs a suicide bombing to save you. And then is resurrected from a single cell (presumably some of the blood that was spattered on one of your characters). And then does it again. And is resurrected again.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Chokes McGee posted:

When the calvary arrives mid-boss fight in the form of a flying time spaceship firing lasers as backup and your response is "ehn :geno:", something has gone wrong with you.
Fixed for you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly I enjoyed FFL3 (as the only Final Fantasy Legend game I owned). It has a different progression system than the previous two games -- everyone gains experience and levels up and buys equipment/spells that don't break and so on. But it still has plenty of wacky weird SaGa moments. My favorite bit probably is when your fifth party member performs a suicide bombing to save you. And then is resurrected from a single cell (presumably some of the blood that was spattered on one of your characters). And then does it again. And is resurrected again.

:wtc: How can this game be bad?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
This game is historically accurate. In-universe, I mean.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RabidWeasel posted:

:wtc: How can this game be bad?

It's not bad, it's just linear and story-driven.

And has a level-based experience system.

You know, all the things a SaGa game usually is not.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
FFL3 is to SaGa what Mystic Quest is to Final Fantasy (they were directed by the same guy, even.) Shallow gameplay and story, but a lot of enthusiasm.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My favorite part was the explanation as to how your ship piloted itself. It also solved at least one other mystery...although that doesn't make the answer less disturbing. It was a strange game, and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it since I played it as a kid.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

FFL3 is to SaGa what Mystic Quest is to Final Fantasy (they were directed by the same guy, even.) Shallow gameplay and story, but a lot of enthusiasm.

I like to think instead it swaps places with Final Fantasy 2. Like, Final Fantasy 2 plays VERY much like a SaGa game mechanics wise (though without transformations) and FFL3 plays like a Final Fantasy game mechanics wise (only WITH transformations). If you adjust your thinking accordingly, they're actually both pretty fun games, but can easily be distracting how different they are then the rest of their serieses.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Choco1980 posted:

I like to think instead it swaps places with Final Fantasy 2. Like, Final Fantasy 2 plays VERY much like a SaGa game mechanics wise (though without transformations) and FFL3 plays like a Final Fantasy game mechanics wise (only WITH transformations). If you adjust your thinking accordingly, they're actually both pretty fun games, but can easily be distracting how different they are then the rest of their serieses.

This is because SaGa games and FFL2 were made by the same guy, Akitoshi Kawazu. A man famous for admitting all the games he's ever made were really, really bad. So theres that :v:

SaGa 3 isn't bad at all...but like someone else said, it's marred by the fact that it tries to be like every other RPG, instead of a SaGa game. Or, you could say that it's better for it, depending on your viewpoint. It still has all the same SaGa craziness, but it lacks any of the really fine-tuned art and the ridiculous, incomprehensible mechanics that give the series it's charm. It should be no surprise that it's the easiest game in the series, either. In fact, it's transformation system is completely unecessary...you can complete the game with relative ease with a default party. Which is a drat shame.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

KataraniSword posted:

It's not bad, it's just linear and story-driven.

And has a level-based experience system.

You know, all the things a SaGa game usually is not.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Pretty much these. I admit my memories of it might be more charitable if I hadn't gone into it primed by the previous two games, but I did and the "mouth feel" was just off in ways 12-year-old me probably couldn't articulate. Kind of like any and every message-laden rap beginning with the words "We're the [adjective] [nouns] and we're here to say..."

Also re: plot, FFL's starting premise was basically "Explore this tower! Because it's there! Meddle in local politics along the way!" FFL2's is "Find your dad! Collect these magic Legos that make a cool statue! Meddle in local politics along the way!" The later games I'm familiar with also have very small-scale/personal and/or exploration-based starts. FFL3 leads off with "Go forth, brave valiant youths, clad in our mightiest cardboard and armed with our pointiest sticks, and SAVE OUR VERY WORLD from CERTAIN DESTRUCTION! Our hopes for salvation rest on YOU!!!!" It's just oddly out of place in a lot of tiny ways.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I wouldn't say the art is bad. at all. It's rather amazing for a Game Boy title in fact, some of the best. And the back third of the game has a bunch of Lovecraftian nightmares for bosses. I'm pretty sure the last boss is pretty much the closest you could get to drawing azatoth in bitmapped monochrome graphics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
FFL3 didn't hurt me near enough and was thus unrecognizable, so I threw it out of Leviathan's Realm my Gameboy carry box. :cenobite:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I keep all my old gameboy stuff in an old metal lunch box with a patriotic cartoon image of the three guys pipping and drumming myself. I've seen it go for 20 something bucks on ebay but meh, I'd rather keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Did anyone play the Wonderswan remake of I and/or the DS remakes of II and III? If so, how were they? They never got ported into English, or anything but Japanese for that matter, but I believe that fan translations were done for all 3.

• Locked thread