Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Before I start, I should note that I haven't anywhere near finished Shallie so my impressions of its battle balance might be a little warped. Oh and Mana Khemia 2 is my favourite of the three despite any criticism I may make of it below.

Nakar posted:

They're not as impactful. Roxis and Miruca don't even compare for example as there are just not enough enemy time cards for Miruca's deletion ability to be all that useful, it doesn't do anything else, and Miruca can't switch with other characters freely because most of her cards disappear if she leaves the front row (which is required when you're switching, so that's kind of an issue).

Enna's deletion ability in MK2 had way more effect on the way battles played out. It was the one out of all of that game's atempts at giving characters skills that encouraged them to not switch out that was actually worth using.

For better or worse, they never seemed happy with the offensive tag as often as possible thing the Mana-Khemias had going on and what I've played of Shallie seemed like it actually "fixed" it so things that don't stick around when a character tags out make more sense.

quote:

And MK2 kinda spread everybody's skills a bit thin because there were more characters due to the two parties thing. Using a character in MK1 felt like you were fundamentally altering the rules of the game in their particular fashion with each character in the party, MK2/Shallie are a lot more whole-party focused and it's more about using everybody. There's not some huge noticeable difference in how Wilbell and Keithgriff operate in Shallie, for example; they play closer to the rules than the MK1 cast which more aggressively breaks them.

Arguably that makes it more balanced but MK2 had a number of broken characters anyway. Shallie's a bit better except for Jurie being ridiculously loving overpowered.

MK2's issue was kind of opposite to what you're suggesting. There was plenty of gimmickry, a lot the skills tied to it were just either useless (Yun's power-up mode thing) or not really used for the gimmicks (anything that inflicts freeze) because they were tied up in giving characters their own little vacuum sealed set up for a payoff loops in a desperate attempt to discourage tagging after every attack (that mostly didn't work). It honestly would have been cool if it had been designed around the parties as holistic wholes because then you'd have had things like the ability to inflict freeze and the multi-hitting damaging ice moves being on different characters (and therefore the turn around from inflicting freeze to benefiting from it being fast enough to be worthwhile).

The gimmicks in Shallie are less Splashy but that honestly feels more like the result of designing them around the effect they have on in battle decision making as opposed to "look at how weird this character's mechanics are!" than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Shame, Vesperia is hands-down my favorite Tales game. Maybe check out Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia in Japan or picky English-speaking circles), it had really fluid combat and was 2D rather than 3D. Being a PS1 title, it will, of course, be a little ghetto whenever it employs modeled effects.

Considering that they made an actual Destiny 2 after the fact, I don't think it's being particularly picky to call it Eternia, since it's the easiest and most hassle-free way to differentiate what game you're talking about.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

FirstAidKite posted:

Let's all instead talk about how atelier iris 2 is not a good game and that gray deserved to be in a better game than that

drat AI2 was boring as sin and also it softlocked on me because I completed a battle too quickly lmao

Is there an agreed-upon list of what the good Atelier games are because I really liked the first Atelier Iris but I never tried the later ones because some people said they started going downhill

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Considering that they made an actual Destiny 2 after the fact, I don't think it's being particularly picky to call it Eternia, since it's the easiest and most hassle-free way to differentiate what game you're talking about.

Oh, how about that. See, I had no idea there was a real Destiny 2. You learn something new every day!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

FirstAidKite posted:

Let's all instead talk about how atelier iris 2 is not a good game and that gray deserved to be in a better game than that

drat AI2 was boring as sin and also it softlocked on me because I completed a battle too quickly lmao

AI2 has a faerie that kills things with guns so it's cool in my book. Too bad Noin reminded me too much of Lita design-wise and they give you a character that starts at level 1 near the end of the game.

AI3 has Nell as a character which automatically makes it the worst game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Everybody in AI2 was annoying as gently caress except gray.

The most annoying was the pixy dude with the gun.

IMO

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

FirstAidKite posted:

Everybody in AI2 was annoying as gently caress except gray.

The most annoying was the pixy dude with the gun.

IMO

Viese is pretty cool.

Erebus posted:

Is there an agreed-upon list of what the good Atelier games are because I really liked the first Atelier Iris but I never tried the later ones because some people said they started going downhill

Mana Khemia > Mana Khemia 2 > Atelier Iris 1 > Atelier Iris 2 > Atelier Iris 3

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Forest Thief Pud posted:

And the actual Tales of Destiny 2 is a direct sequel, even. It's easy to miss because it had no translation but that is where Reala is from, as IIRC she has cameoed in translated games.

Also, for the translated PSP release of Eternia (only in Europe, granted; it didn't come out in the States) it was called Tales of Eternia.

So yeah, no reason not to.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 12, 2015

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
She cameo'd in Graces, along with fellow Destiny Team alumni Veigue and AmberKohaku as bonus bosses, and the trophy for the US/European versions was something along the lines of "Who were those guys again?" I think another Destiny 2 character, Nanaly, showed up in Radiant Mythology 1 as well, running an orphanage with Rutee.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I've now put 2.5 hours into P4G and still haven't fought a battle other than that one story battle where you just attack a few times and then fall asleep.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Erebus posted:

There's a big difference between "games that are like Atelier Iris" and most other Atelier games. Iris and the Mana Khemia games and to a lesser extent Atelier Shallie (but not the previous games in Shallie's series) are fairly close to each other, but MK and Shallie are a lot closer to the traditional Atelier structure as opposed to a normal JRPG structure, though none of them has a true time limit like "real" Atelier games do.

Compare this with some of the more recent ones like Rorona/Totori/Meruru/Ayesha/Escha&Logy and you'll see some pretty significant differences. Time management is a primary thing, like doing stuff costs you time and you have to not use too much of it, they tend to be more task-oriented and less story-oriented. Rorona and E&L barely have a story, you can't get the actual story in Meruru until NG+, and Totori and Ayesha require you to actively pursue the story. Mana Khemia 1/2 and Shallie don't exactly have good stories, but they're a bit more narrative-oriented since they lack a time limit.

Non-Iris/MK games also tend to be a good bit girlier. Softer colors, more cutesy/innocent heroines, frilly designs, "badass" characters are mostly relegated to side roles (although it's amusing in Rorona when you finally get Sterk, an actual trained knight, and he whips unbelievably more rear end than your ragtag band of young girls and wandering entertainers), a greater emphasis on casual friendship stuff and less on epic storylines. The music also gets worse, but not always.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tired Moritz posted:

Where does the PSP port of MK fit into this?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tired Moritz posted:

As the one person alive who likes AI3, I have to defend it by saying it had a really good battle system before Mana Khemia existed, and I love sidequest-based game design.

... I can't really defend AI3 all that much, actually, I just like it because it invented the time card battle system thing. I can't even REMEMBER what the plot of the game is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

it fits nicely into the garbage can

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

It would fit on the list if it was a playable game but it's actually a playable powerpoint slideshow so...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Come on guys, it's not THAT bad. (If you get the digital version).

UMD? Don't joke with me. No, seriously, don't.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
The PSP port have a glitch where you can't synthesize all the items in the game, thus preventing you from getting 100%. Amazing. NIS' translations are terrible.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Infinity Gaia posted:

As the one person alive who likes AI3, I have to defend it by saying it had a really good battle system before Mana Khemia existed, and I love sidequest-based game design.

... I can't really defend AI3 all that much, actually, I just like it because it invented the time card battle system thing. I can't even REMEMBER what the plot of the game is.

I like it! It's almost a really good game. Shame about it being at least twice as long as it should be.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Tired Moritz posted:

The PSP port have a glitch where you can't synthesize all the items in the game, thus preventing you from getting 100%. Amazing. NIS' translations are terrible.

Wait, what? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Edit: Well, poo poo. Apparently, the bonus weapons are not synthesizable. gently caress you, NIS?

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dross posted:

I've now put 2.5 hours into P4G and still haven't fought a battle other than that one story battle where you just attack a few times and then fall asleep.

P4's tutorial stretch is a bit long, but once you're off the leash you're free for the rest of the game. Plus its setting up a whole bunch of things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dross posted:

You'll soon reach a point where you're tired of fighting and just want to chill with your little sis. Persona is kind of a game of extremes and trying to strike a balance between them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dross posted:

The tutorial is the worst offender but p4 is like 80% dialogue 20% combat in general

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Nakar posted:

There's a big difference between "games that are like Atelier Iris" and most other Atelier games. Iris and the Mana Khemia games and to a lesser extent Atelier Shallie (but not the previous games in Shallie's series) are fairly close to each other, but MK and Shallie are a lot closer to the traditional Atelier structure as opposed to a normal JRPG structure, though none of them has a true time limit like "real" Atelier games do.

Compare this with some of the more recent ones like Rorona/Totori/Meruru/Ayesha/Escha&Logy and you'll see some pretty significant differences. Time management is a primary thing, like doing stuff costs you time and you have to not use too much of it, they tend to be more task-oriented and less story-oriented. Rorona and E&L barely have a story, you can't get the actual story in Meruru until NG+, and Totori and Ayesha require you to actively pursue the story. Mana Khemia 1/2 and Shallie don't exactly have good stories, but they're a bit more narrative-oriented since they lack a time limit.

Non-Iris/MK games also tend to be a good bit girlier. Softer colors, more cutesy/innocent heroines, frilly designs, "badass" characters are mostly relegated to side roles (although it's amusing in Rorona when you finally get Sterk, an actual trained knight, and he whips unbelievably more rear end than your ragtag band of young girls and wandering entertainers), a greater emphasis on casual friendship stuff and less on epic storylines. The music also gets worse, but not always.

I hate time management stuff in games, so I guess those are out. I just liked the relative simplicity of Atelier Iris (kind of reminded me of playing Lunar on the PS1 in contrast to convoluted poo poo like Xenogears) and filling out the recipes for shops. I guess I should try Mana Khemia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

atelier shallie doesn't have time management

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erebus posted:

I hate time management stuff in games, so I guess those are out. I just liked the relative simplicity of Atelier Iris (kind of reminded me of playing Lunar on the PS1 in contrast to convoluted poo poo like Xenogears) and filling out the recipes for shops. I guess I should try Mana Khemia.

Get Shallie. It removes the time management aspect.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The tutorial is the worst offender but p4 is like 80% dialogue 20% combat in general

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I think your really forgetting how long the last few dungeons are, and the fact that there is very little story except for the beginning/end of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goldjas posted:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I think your really forgetting how long the last few dungeons are, and the fact that there is very little story except for the beginning/end of them.
i played p4 last year: 80% dialogue 20% combat is right on the money.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's the same for the fighting games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well uh apparently Dragon Quest 8 is getting a 3DS remake: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/12/dragon-quest-viii-announced-for-the-nintendo-3ds/

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

So they're just skipping 7?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

morrie as a party member? holy poo poo

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dross posted:

So they're just skipping 7?

7 already has a 3DS remake.

In Japan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

i played p4 last year: 80% dialogue 20% combat is right on the money.

Of course the problem is you'll be going through the majority of that 20% in lengthy chunks. Early on the game encourages you to make several trips to the dungeon but once you get Kanji you can basically go through them in one sitting which realistically take 2-4 hours. That's 2-4 hours of straight random battles and nothing else. Heaven forbid if you want to do the sidequests and optional bosses.

But man, it makes Chilling With Nanako Time that much sweeter when you get back.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

morrie as a party member? holy poo poo
Ay, you have room for one more, ragazzo? :v:

Square Enix, if you localize this, I will throw money at you

e: Also I will take whatever opportunity I can get to replace Jessica with someone who isn't a Dragon Quest offensive mage, because they are pretty much across the board worthless once you have someone else with debuffs

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 13, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
comes as no surprise to anyone http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/12/imageepoch-have-begun-bankruptcy-procedures/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did they make anything good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They made official Game of Every Year 'Time & Eternity'!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You're gonna have to be more specific

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FirstAidKite posted:

Did they make anything good
They make a lot of games about extremely generic anime knights protecting elemental witches, by which I mean they made three of them with nearly identical characters with a fourth on the way next month which I will be buying when it comes to NA because I am terrible.

They also made 7th Dragon which I have an inexplicable loyalty towards because it is stylish as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

luminous arc is one of those games where the main characters are incredibly boring but the side characters are really fun and interesting