Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

This show stops being fun and cute when you have a little girl character being repeatedly kicked in the face by grown men and the only thing that can save her is the MC's pure Nice Guy powers.
And his knife, his passive and his skills that he earned though self introspection.

But mostly his "Nice Guy powers" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
All his Nice Guy powers did was let a damaged person trust again.

Is that so bad?

(Actually how far is the anime right now? I've been reading the manga and recently the LN as well because I don't have patience to wait for people to talk)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Kyte posted:

(Actually how far is the anime right now? I've been reading the manga and recently the LN as well because I don't have patience to wait for people to talk)

The anime is adapting vol 3 with the next episode, so it's passed the official LN translation and probably the manga adaptation by now.

What's a bit worrying is that someone's seen episode titles for eps 7-8-9, and they indicate that vol 4 is adapted with episode 9, which means they're covering the entire third volume (regarded by many as the best in the series) with just two episodes.

At least it means vol 5 (my favourite) could get four episodes to itself, I guess.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

All his Nice Guy powers did was let a damaged person trust again.

Is that so bad?

No?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

This show stops being fun and cute when you have a little girl character being repeatedly kicked in the face by grown men and the only thing that can save her is the MC's pure Nice Guy powers.

Uhhhhhh I don't think he's trying to gently caress her so I'm not sure how he's a "Nice Guy".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Uhhhhhh I don't think he's trying to gently caress her so I'm not sure how he's a "Nice Guy".

The MC is pretty asexual and even his "love" for Ais is more of a hero worship then romantic love.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

(Yes I know it was aimed at Phobophilia)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

He's a "Nice Guy" that everyone wants. The dreaded double-reverse "Nice Guy". :ohdear:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

He isn't. This show is doing a good job of helping people learn the difference between Nice Guy and nice guy, as well as the glory that is the boob ribbon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

darkgray posted:

What's a bit worrying is that someone's seen episode titles for eps 7-8-9, and they indicate that vol 4 is adapted with episode 9, which means they're covering the entire third volume (regarded by many as the best in the series) with just two episodes.

I hope they at least do it well.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Have they done anything particularly poorly thus far?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zwingley posted:

Have they done anything particularly poorly thus far?

Wasn't there some rumblings about how they gaffed the bit with Bell and that Dood who Lili stole off?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
For the most part they've just been rushing through everything since they have so much ground to cover. It's not a huge mark against it, but it's a pretty different experience from the LNs where there's a lot more time to breath.

They did totally mess up one of the main roles of Supporters though.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

What are you retards even arguing about, I can't follow at all

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

What are you retards even arguing about, I can't follow at all

Washboard vs Cow obviously.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
God dammit this show, one moment it's gratuitous violence with cool fight scenes, the next it's slapstick humour that actually gets a laugh out of me and the whole time the fanservice tries it's best to ruin it for me. In the latest episode, I almost hoped that when Lili went "Huh?" when Hestia was once again doing the whole "This is my man, hands off" routine, that Lili was going to just nod along to the crazy lady. But nope, disrobe and jump into the :bandwagon:

My curiosity compels me to see if/when the fanservice will overcome all the brutal fighting that keeps me interested in the show.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Computer, can you generate a "Nude Hestia"?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Man, Hestia had some great facial expressions in this episode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zernach posted:

God dammit this show, one moment it's gratuitous violence with cool fight scenes, the next it's slapstick humour that actually gets a laugh out of me and the whole time the fanservice tries it's best to ruin it for me. In the latest episode, I almost hoped that when Lili went "Huh?" when Hestia was once again doing the whole "This is my man, hands off" routine, that Lili was going to just nod along to the crazy lady. But nope, disrobe and jump into the :bandwagon:

My curiosity compels me to see if/when the fanservice will overcome all the brutal fighting that keeps me interested in the show.
Eh, unless Fraya goes way too far in her stuff I don't think that will be an issue.

Honestly as long as the ratio is one bit of fanservice per two to three bits of Action und Comedy then It'll be fine.

As a side, can I say how nice it is to see the subs on CR get a little creative now and then? We got it when Hestia taunted Loki and we got it again when Hestia and Lili started emphasising "My" in their little spat.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Man, Hestia had some great facial expressions in this episode.
Deely bobbers are the international road sign for silliness.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

As a side, can I say how nice it is to see the subs on CR get a little creative now and then? We got it when Hestia taunted Loki and we got it again when Hestia and Lili started emphasising "My" in their little spat.

But they're just reproducing the verbal emphasis already present with italics in the subs? I wouldn't call that creative, just normal care.

Either way, Bell has been doing far too much picking up girls in the city, as opposed to doing it in the dungeon. That's really poor style.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I liked how his grandpa and his idea of hestia duked it out over one of anime's skeevier questions.

"Is it wrong to kiss a sleeping girl?"

If you have to ask that, there's something wrong with you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

For the most part they've just been rushing through everything since they have so much ground to cover. It's not a huge mark against it, but it's a pretty different experience from the LNs where there's a lot more time to breath.

They did totally mess up one of the main roles of Supporters though.

It's weird, most shows draw out a LN volume to almost half a season or more. According to the wiki Highschool DxD's 3rd season covers LN 6-9(maybe 8 or 10, no idea) and the series is up to 20 but that show gets padded out with tons of fanservice (it's one of those 'wait for the blu-ray' things because entire scenes are covered in mists or beams of obscuring light). I think ZnT was the same, where out of 16 total LN they went at a rate of 2 a season.

Is DanMachi complete? That's the only reason I could think of why they're blowing through the source material. Speaking of, what is the actual definition of a LN? Is there a length or is it a format thing?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, that was a pretty fun episode. Lili's suddenly a disappointment though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

pentyne posted:

It's weird, most shows draw out a LN volume to almost half a season or more. According to the wiki Highschool DxD's 3rd season covers LN 6-9(maybe 8 or 10, no idea) and the series is up to 20 but that show gets padded out with tons of fanservice (it's one of those 'wait for the blu-ray' things because entire scenes are covered in mists or beams of obscuring light). I think ZnT was the same, where out of 16 total LN they went at a rate of 2 a season.

Is DanMachi complete? That's the only reason I could think of why they're blowing through the source material. Speaking of, what is the actual definition of a LN? Is there a length or is it a format thing?

Eh, it's pretty common to adapt LN into anime at a rate of ~3 episodes per volume. Toradora was 10 volumes and 25 episodes, Golden Time was 8 volumes and 24 episodes. Katanagatari was originally a 12 volume series, and was adapted with one episode per book, although they were 50 minutes long each.

DanMachi isn't complete (or even nearing completion from what I can tell), with volume 8 coming out on June 13th.

Light novels are pretty hard to define, but you can think of them as serialized Young Adult books around 300 pages in length with an illustration every 40 pages or so. Due to the high ratio of dialogue and action, they often feel like novelizations of manga more than literature. It varies wildly, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Junk in that trunk.
http://youtubedoubler.com/ftgm

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Just watched today's episode. :black101: GudDAMN Bell :black101:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Goddamn Bell that's some S-rank badassery. :catstare:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn Bell that's some S-rank badassery. :catstare:

Actually his agility was SS rank but they fail to mention that. Unless they mention it next episode in flash back.

One of the things I find slightly annoying as someone who actually really likes greek myths is that the author is either mixing up Jason of the Argonauts with Theseus the guy who actually killed the minotaur in that ancient legend. Or he has the misguided idea that Theseus was one of the Argonauts, which he wasn't.

I'm only ranting about this cause they mention the term Argonaut in the episode.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 22, 2015

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

why would you expect the nips to be able to into anything western

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good freaking grief. Someone's gonna have to break out "Rap is a man's soul" for the second time this season cause that was some Simon level testicular fortitude. :vince:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

why would you expect the nips to be able to into anything western

They successfully tricked everyone into not knowing that Syr is obviously loving Freya in disguise since you know, Syr is one of Freya's alternative names in Norse mythology.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

The two toilets meme

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Angry Grimace posted:

They successfully tricked everyone into not knowing that Syr is obviously loving Freya in disguise since you know, Syr is one of Freya's alternative names in Norse mythology.

Is this already a thing in the light novel or did you just figure out the big twist holy poo poo

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

pandaK posted:

Is this already a thing in the light novel or did you just figure out the big twist holy poo poo

I've read everything that has been translated and no it hasn't been mentioned unless of course it was mentioned in one of the volumes that hasn't been translated, so this could actually be a twist, or it could simply be that he doesn't know that Syr and Freya were the same person in Norse mythology.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pandaK posted:

I don't know. It's just obvious because I did a report on Norse Mythology in like sixth grade, not to mention Syr randomly doing poo poo which involves Bell in harebrained poo poo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 22, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know. It's just obvious because I did a report on Norse Mythology in like sixth grade, not to mention Syr randomly doing poo poo which involves Bell in harebrained poo poo.

This probably fits. And is a weird inverted case of "Obviously Evil" and its actually brilliant. Why'd you expect one member of the MC's Harem to actually be another member of his harem? It's like hiding in plain sight if you don't know your mythology.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drat, I always did find her pretty suspicious. Never trust money driven barmaidens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Or maybe the author is a retarded chinaman who didn't do research and just picked the names out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread