Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if the writers know black panthers aren't a real animal.

Considering I'm pretty sure that was a Bast reference, I'm not certain it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if the writers know black panthers aren't a real animal.
It was a melanistic leopard, okay?!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Considering I'm pretty sure that was a Bast reference, I'm not certain it matters.

Oh yeah, I forgot Hickman retconned it so that both Wakanda and Egypt were only civilized because of divine intervention by the same deity.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

hope and vaseline posted:

So the line early on about the stars winking out, this universe is still dying eh?

The night sky is dark because all the stars are HERE, at fabulous BATTLEWORLD, for the second annual SECRET WARS SECRET WAR!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

So, it's not known how Battleworld was actually created... right? It seems to have existed for decades given a fully-developed Thors Corps (love saying that) and the generally established procedures for dealing with inter-kingdom disputes. So I figure it can't have literally been created by the 616 and 1610 incursion. But how do areas of land from 616 Earth and 1610 Earth end up on Battleworld? Or maybe that's just a signifier that characters from those worlds end up in those locations eventually?

And why are people assuming that the Doom/Strange/Valeria/Susan are the 616 versions? The only thing I was sure about was that we see 1610 Richards and 616 Cabal at the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speak for yourself. I was expecting it to be the 616 liferaft. Then all that poo poo started coming out of it. "Oh god Reed what the gently caress are you doing?!"

The only person I expect to be their old self is Doom. Because it's pretty much like him to just create his perfect world then surprise, he's stolen/created replicas of Reed's family. :v: And no since this issue is the first I've heard of Doom creating/claiming he created Battleworld.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I wonder if the two other Doom-named zones have their own Doom. And if so which (if any) is the 616 Doom.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if the stars in Battleworld turn out to be I ndividual, distant Beyonders, consumed to keep it alive.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Dunbar posted:

So, it's not known how Battleworld was actually created... right?
Yes. It will presumably be revealed as the people from the life rafts explore Battleworld in future issues.

quote:

It seems to have existed for decades given a fully-developed Thors Corps (love saying that) and the generally established procedures for dealing with inter-kingdom disputes. So I figure it can't have literally been created by the 616 and 1610 incursion.
It might well have been centuries since the end of Secret Wars #1. Ultimate Reed says something about them having been in stasis when they emerge from their life raft.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The secret area that Doom is talking about with people who want to overthrow him might have the 616 heroes there.

Also, he's probably sitting on the life tree that the Ex Nihilo and Abyss made before they died.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline posted:

So the line early on about the stars winking out, this universe is still dying eh?

Dunno about that, but I think Old Man Thunder was talking about how the Thor Corps makes its new hammers.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Hickman talks to CBR about Secret Wars #2.

About Doom and Strange:

quote:

I will say this, though -- Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom were there at the end of everything, and this is the regular Marvel Universe's Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange. So for people who had been reading "New Avengers" and "Avengers" leading up, they know that Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom have kind of had this alliance to try and figure this stuff out and prevent it from happening. They were unable to do that, and then something happened. To be continued.

Anyway, of course Doctor Strange is one of his most trusted advisors. It's also fair to say he's his oldest friend in the universe right now.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm tentatively okay with this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

gfanikf posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but where did you hear that?

In the solicitations.

SECRET WARS: OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1
Written by THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Worlds are colliding! Both on Battleworld, and in the SECRET WARS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1 – a collection of all-new Profiles! Journey through Marvel’s multiverse:
Old Man Logan! The Ultimate Universe’s Spider-Man (Miles Morales)! The Age of Ultron! Weirdworld! The Spider-Verse event! The Age of Apocalypse’s Nightcrawler! Plus: profiles of the characters and events at the core of the Secret Wars: the Incursions of Earths, Namor’s Cabal, the Future Foundation kids and more! Also featuring key participants in previous Secret Wars: Volcana (Marsha Rosenberg), Thunderball (Eliot Franklin), the healer Zsaji, the Dark Elf Kurse, original Battleworld refugee Puff the dragon, and the Secret Wars II event itself! And because we love you: the Pet Avengers’ Throg, Lady Deadpool, Teen Hulk…and Obnoxio the Clown?!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Hickman retconned it so that both Wakanda and Egypt were only civilized because of divine intervention by the same deity.

When did that happen?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'm fairly new to Marvel, could someone summarize the normal relationship between Doom and Valeria (and maybe Sue)?

Also is Mr. Sinister gay?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think him and Strange are the ONLY members of the 616 universe we see in this issue.

Like I said, this poo poo is being tailored just for me :swoon:

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012
I want to read Hickman's lead up to all this before I check it out, but considering everyone's talking about Doom, Sue, and Valeria, did this story actually begin with Hickman's Fantastic Four run?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blind Marvin posted:

I want to read Hickman's lead up to all this before I check it out, but considering everyone's talking about Doom, Sue, and Valeria, did this story actually begin with Hickman's Fantastic Four run?

Yes, it did.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm fairly new to Marvel, could someone summarize the normal relationship between Doom and Valeria (and maybe Sue)?

Valeria's initial backstory is stupidly complicated so I'll skip it to only what's relevant.

- Susan has complications giving birth and almost died. Reed is I forget where so it ends up with Doom saving the day. Valeria is born and all Doom asks is to name her. He becomes her godfather. Richards is super mad at this and I still hold it as Doom's greatest triumph.
- Doom is lobotomized, loses his magic power. Passes Latveria to his son Kristoff and basically retires from everything.
- The events of Hickman's F4 cover what happens next but basically Valeria, Franklin, and Nathaniel Richards (Reed's dad) from the future try to start shaping the past so that bad things don't happen.
- One of these changes is they need to heal Doom . Present Valeria is given this task.
- Doom is healed, the events of Hickman's FF occur. Doom sacrifices himself holding off mad Celestials and is left in between universes. He finds an infinity gauntlet from a dead universe, gives birth to it again in his image, the universe turns on him and is ultimately rescued by future Valeria, Nathaniel, and Reed.
That's the end of Hickman's run and we move on Fraction's Run
- The F4 are sick from something. Reed decides to do a field trip through space/time under the guise of exploring and learning while secretly trying to find the cure. in the meantime, the replacement FF are dealing with Doom who's aligning with Kahn and Annhilus and being a dick.
- A lot of poo poo happens but the short version of it is that Reed basically keeps too many secrets including the fact that someone Valeria meets along the way dies and he doesn't tell her. Valeria gets mad at this and ultimately decides that she needs time apart from the family so she goes to live with uncle Doom.

She's been there since guiding Doom to fix the world. If the people love you, they won't mind you taking over the world. They fight Loki, have ice cream, and are generally an awesome pair. She builds Val-bots :3:

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012

well, gently caress.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blind Marvin posted:

well, gently caress.

Look at this way you have a chance to read one of the best runs on a comic in the last decade before you even jump into the Avengers stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Marvin posted:

well, gently caress.

Oh no, more great comics to read!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I stopped reading Ultimate Spiderman like a year after Ultimatum but now I want to catch back up and oh my god I'm so loving confused at everything. I knew about Miles which is cool but that's literally all I knew. I don't even know where to begin and the OP just confused me more.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Valeria's initial backstory is stupidly complicated so I'll skip it to only what's relevant.

Thanks.

So last they left off was there still bad blood between Reed and Doom, specifically over Valeria?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Not particularly. He's just more unhinged than anything.

His dialogue this issue was amazing.

"Oh the police. How trashy."

"All I said was that she looked like a cow."
"SHE'S WITH CHILD!"
:allears:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- A lot of poo poo happens but the short version of it is that Reed basically keeps too many secrets including the fact that someone Valeria meets along the way dies and he doesn't tell her. Valeria gets mad at this and ultimately decides that she needs time apart from the family so she goes to live with uncle Doom.
I was wondering what the exact reason for that was. I have all of Fractions run, I've just never had the time to read through all of it and his FF.

She's been there since guiding Doom to fix the world. If the people love you, they won't mind you taking over the world. They fight Loki, have ice cream, and are generally an awesome pair.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She builds Val-bots :3:
Which issue was that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Krangdar posted:

Thanks.

So last they left off was there still bad blood between Reed and Doom, specifically over Valeria?

There isn't any bad blood left at this point, I think. Not over Val, anyways. Doom and Richards are "even" after everything that happened in Hickman's run. Val's the one that decided to leave and Richards/Susan know exactly why.

gfanikf posted:

Which issue was that?

Fantastic Four (2014-2015) Annual #1

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone's going to buy me a Hickman avatar before this is through, I know it. Marvel is having a crisis thirty years late, and totally nailing it. I've never been so impressed by a single issue. I'm hooked.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Look at this way you have a chance to read one of the best runs on a comic in the last decade before you even jump into the Avengers stuff.

How far back would you recommend someone begin, surely not Dark Reign!?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blind Marvin posted:

That is the beginning of Hickman's run yes. It's all on Marvel Unlimited. It's not like his FF run is 200 issues or something. You should be able to knock it out in a few days tops. You could have all of his FF and Avengers/New Avengers read before the next issue of Secret Wars is out easily.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 14, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Blind Marvin posted:

Just the Fantastic Four part that Hickman wrote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blind Marvin posted:

Hahahaha YES.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I highly recommend you start with Avengers Disassembled then to House of M then to Civil War then to World War Hulk then to the Illuminati Mini and Secret Invasion then through Dark Reign then to Siege and progress to Hickman's SHIELD, Ultimate Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four and Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity to Secret War. That should pretty much cover everything you need to understand why the Marvel universe is the way it is, relationships, etc. and will know what's going on and why and how.

If you're confused about Cyclops and the Phoenix stuff, then start with Endsong, House of M, go to Messiah Complex into Avengers vs X-Men and Bendis' X-Men to know what's up.

Yessss...bury yourself in comics.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 14, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Marvin posted:

The Hickman FF/Dark Reign miniseries is one of the best parts! Dive in already, ya cheese!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress it just dive right it. It's just comic books. :v:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gatts posted:

I highly recommend you start with Avengers Disassembled then to House of M then to Civil War then to World War Hulk then to the Illuminati Mini and Secret Invasion then through Dark Reign then to Siege and progress to Hickman's SHIELD, Ultimate Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four and Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity to Secret War. That should pretty much cover everything you need to understand why the Marvel universe is the way it is, relationships, etc. and will know what's going on and why and how.

If you're confused about Cyclops and the Phoenix stuff, then start with Endsong, House of M, go to Messiah Complex into Avengers vs X-Men and Bendis' X-Men to know what's up.

I did that few years ago when I was getting into comics for the first time. That was a fun couple of months. It made me start disliking crossover events though because they usually interrupted whatever interesting story arc was going on, or derail them completely. Except Annihilation, Annihilation was awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

Careful...I did this and now I'm weird.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Annihilation IS awesome. So was Thanos Imperative. That's the space stuff you should read, btw.

Don't forget the tie ins.

And if you really, like, REALLY want to get in from the start then go with Grant Morrison's X-Men into Endsong. Skip the Whedon stuff.

And yes, be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skip War of Kings.

• Locked thread