Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Playing defensively and hanging back a bit is fine, it's the people who literally sit inside the net the whole game that bother me. But since it leaves us a man up near the ball, as soon as possession starts to shift to us I just boost down and ram into the goalie as hard as I can, usually destroying them.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

The real villains are people who just circle around trying to destroy other cars and ignoring the ball entirely but thankfully I have only run into a couple.
This is in fact a more useful tactic than playing goaltender, and is to be rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Pleads posted:

Playing defensively and hanging back a bit is fine, it's the people who literally sit inside the net the whole game that bother me. But since it leaves us a man up near the ball, as soon as possession starts to shift to us I just boost down and ram into the goalie as hard as I can, usually destroying them.

Well, you've found a good counter for goalkeepers then. :)

When I was playing with a buddy, we didn't designate either of us for playing defense, we just tried to make decisions based on what's happening. It was a lot of fun seamlessly transitioning from offense to defense and back again, and I feel it doesn't make sense to have someone play exclusively a goalkeeper. Often the player who hangs a bit back from the action can get the best and easiest shooting opportunities, or can launch quick counter attacks from their own end. If you feel you can't do much to contribute to that attack, just fall back and replace them on defense.

I love how you can even have a tactical discussion about this game. So good.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Pleads posted:

This is in fact a more useful tactic than playing goaltender, and is to be rewarded.

I'm not entirely sure how you ended up with this conclusion but I guess our playstyles are just drastically different.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Follow That Fish! posted:

Well, you've found a good counter for goalkeepers then. :)
I'll admit I may have also just hung around in their end blowing the goalie up a few extra times to send a message.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

our playstyles are just drastically different.
I think this is most likely true, our 'group' I normally play with all came over from the NHL franchise where we enjoy the hitting physics more than anything else.

We bring a hard-hitting physical presence to Rocket League. :canada:

On an unrelated note I would like points to be awarded for Demolitions.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TotalHell posted:

I was in a game last night where one guy on the opposing team sat in goal whenever the ball changed to our possession, but otherwise led the attack. I couldn't be mad, since he was actually really good and had all the goals and all the saves on his team. It was good tactics.

was it a game with a really long overtime? I only ask because your username looks familiar, and that sounds like a game I had last night (if so, I was the guy hanging back in goal for most of it. it was a great match, and it killed me when the other team managed to catch me out of place and sneak a goal in)

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Pleads posted:

On an unrelated note I would like points to be awarded for Demolitions.

Not happening, rewarding Demolish incentivizes a playstyle we don't think is beneficial to the game. It's in there but you aren't going to earn XP for constantly destroying people.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

icking fudiot posted:

Not happening, rewarding Demolish incentivizes a playstyle we don't think is beneficial to the game. It's in there but you aren't going to earn XP for constantly destroying people.

Speaking of XP, is there going to be any sort of analytics for each match? I'm guessing XP is already in the backend and it determines who you get matched with based on your overall XP?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Gonna be streaming some more practice games for a couple hours if anyone is interested in joining me. My PSN ID is in the OP spreadsheet http://www.twitch.tv/dr_badonkadonk

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

This guy posted:

I'm down. PSN: bootyclapqueen

I wondered if I had played with any goons during the first beta and I played more than a few games with you, also you're pretty good.

I keep getting distracted by other things this week, but I'll probably play later tonight or tomorrow at the very least, PSN is also Brightman.

icking fudiot posted:

Did that change or am I crazy and it never awarded points? I thought you got some points for that but it was minimal.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Played a few matches, pretty impressed with it all around, it's a drat good time.

E: Played a bunch more, couple questions on things.

Do you bounce higher/farther if you do it directly on a boost pickup?
Is there a racing game rev gimmick to start of play, e.g. don't redline it?

Other than that, this game has a surprising amount of depth to it, and when everyone in a match knows what they're doing it's surprisingly intense.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 13, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Added all the PSN goons. Invite me anytime you see me on, unless I'm with other friends I'll join up!

I wish this game had 'rooms' like fighting games, so you can hang out and chat in-between games. I feel like the community could get pretty tight knit.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

icking fudiot posted:

Not even a little bit of XP? Even John Scott makes a paycheque for sloshing across the ice to destroy someone in the corner

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

checksin posted:

Not even a little bit of XP? Even John Scott makes a paycheque for sloshing across the ice to destroy someone in the corner

no please don't encourage bullying with rewards. It already happens quite a lot in some games. It's legitimate strategy, but you don't want it to transcend to grief.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

icking fudiot posted:

If you're privy to the info and are allowed to share, is there a tentative date for Steam? Or is it just "Summer" or "wait and see"?

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Holy poo poo goons, you were right, this game is incredible. Add me on PSN, rpaggio.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

This game is surprisingly addictive. And holy poo poo some people are insanely good at it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
this is the best loving game ive played this month

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
So apparently a cop was caught on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApsoyO3qiA

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
hahaha oh my god that's awesome.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Beautiful. A new subgenre of fan fiction perhaps?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fantastic

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the new OP video a cop!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Haven't had a chance to listen to the audio yet, but GameSpot just released a video showing off some of the game's customization options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJjvdMHhzz0

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Doggles posted:

Haven't had a chance to listen to the audio yet, but GameSpot just released a video showing off some of the game's customization options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJjvdMHhzz0

Neat!

For those curious, the guy said "PS4 summer... PC 'later in the year'.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
God "the summer" can't come quick enough
In other news, here's a lovely highlight from last name's game where an UNNAMED SHIFTY LAYABOUT steals my sick backwards goal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRlQ_5-pQe4

checksin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 14, 2015

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Instant keys if you're missing one.
http://psyonix.com/BC2/Invite/RocketLeagueSignupPS4.php?Keyword=Twitter

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Thank you! I have some friends who missed out.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Woo just had mine show up in the mail. Thanks guys!

psn is shoafer0 (invite whenever)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Just played my first few games: I am terrible, but hot drat is that fun!

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Feenix posted:

Neat!

For those curious, the guy said "PS4 summer... PC 'later in the year'.

So that means fall or holiday season, gently caress :smithicide:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Reminder: Everyone add your PSNs to this google document and add everyone else on the list to your friends lists!!!

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007

Thanks, that's great!

I've gotten a few friends hooked already, but instant keys might help convince people at Finnish soccer forums to give this a shot. Posted a thread, there's enough people for a mini-community to happen, if this catches on.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Have you ever played Injustice or MKX? You know how they have rooms, where people can meet up and check out each other's stats and such...is something like this possible for Rocket League? Maybe a future goal? I think it would really own.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

a cop posted:

Have you ever played Injustice or MKX? You know how they have rooms, where people can meet up and check out each other's stats and such...is something like this possible for Rocket League? Maybe a future goal? I think it would really own.

What features would you want out of this that aren't currently served with Private Matches that you just screw around in idly and chat? Stat history, what else?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Lumpy posted:

Just played my first few games: I am terrible, but hot drat is that fun!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It might not be very clear that you can still manage the party from in a game, the party members are still along the bottom of the screen in the pause/between games menu and you can invite and stuff.

That's similar to what he's asking for, but you can't make the party open, it's invite-only as far as I can tell.

Maybe a party option to set it to friends-only, or PSNparty-only or something so people can join without an invite? This would also streamline situations where someone disconnects/leaves and tries to come back but needs an in-game party invite before they can get into the match, even if it's a private match with bots.

e: Played a lot of games tonight with a party of friends and it's still a fantastically amazing time even with a range of skill levels. One or two of our buddies just got the invite today and within a few matches were making good plays so the "pick up and play" factor is really, really good.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

icking fudiot posted:

What features would you want out of this that aren't currently served with Private Matches that you just screw around in idly and chat? Stat history, what else?

Stat histories, car inspections, the ability to just highlight names and go "invite to party" or "add to friends list" etc. I think it would help foster communities- for instance we could all just say "go to the goon room to find people to play with" instead of having the spreadsheet and having to scroll through our friend lists constantly to find anyone else who's playing (and then being uncertain of if they are looking to team up or not).

I think this game could be really popular and people would probably like it if you could make rooms w/ a max occupancy of 99 so the IGN or Reddit or whatever people can all easily meet up and play together. Pretty much exactly like MKX, for instance. Just a thought!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

a cop posted:

Stat histories, car inspections, the ability to just highlight names and go "invite to party" or "add to friends list" etc. I think it would help foster communities- for instance we could all just say "go to the goon room to find people to play with" instead of having the spreadsheet and having to scroll through our friend lists constantly to find anyone else who's playing (and then being uncertain of if they are looking to team up or not).

I think this game could be really popular and people would probably like it if you could make rooms w/ a max occupancy of 99 so the IGN or Reddit or whatever people can all easily meet up and play together. Pretty much exactly like MKX, for instance. Just a thought!

I likes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stat history is silly and for try hards.