Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jim Barris posted:

drat bro, you have your own cabin?

It's a hollowed out log he crawls into like Bishop crawls into that pipe in Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Jim Barris posted:

drat bro, you have your own cabin?

share it with my cousin, been in the family for decades. it aint actually worth much, maybe 30-40 grand. still, a nice thing to have.

orly
Oct 2, 2005

What about The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse.

Too philosophical? Not enough racism? Excessive championing of (and then hem-hawing over) academics over the "real world" (exploiting poor/colored people)?

To it's credit, it does deal a lot in introspection and self-concept. Or is that not a good thing for white people to do?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

orly posted:

Too philosophical? Not enough racism? Excessive championing of (and then hem-hawing over) academics over the "real world" (exploiting poor/colored people)?

When I play the Glass Bead Game they usually go straight into my rear end.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

have you counted them or something

They're all pdf and epub

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dyna Soar posted:

i count mine in shelf meters, a lot easier. 12 at home i have at my cabin, maybe twice the same amount?

Not at home, but somewhere in the 40s or 50s?

I would love a cabin. There's even a spot for it.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
59. The World According to Garp, John Irving

lol whaaaa

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

2. Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
3. A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
4. Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
7. The first two volumes of A Song of Ice and Fire, George R.R. Martin
9. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
10. I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, Tucker Max
11. Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
17. Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk
20. The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
31. Lucky Jim, Kingsley Amis
42. Patriot Games, Tom Clancy
58. Godel, Escher, Bach, Douglas Hofstadter
60. A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking
64. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
70. The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
72. A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess
73. House of Leaves, Mark Danielewski
78. American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis (a glaring omission from the original, pointed out by Naomi Fry)

So 18/79, not bad. I've read a bunch more of them (and not read some of those). I had no idea "Lucky Jim" was a book anyone had heard of, I literally found it on a park bench one day and have never had the inclination to read it. Who the gently caress buys the 9/11 commission report?

e: I also have Doom, knee deep in dead, are we adding that one???

im glad you went through the entire list and picked the ones you read it has really enriched my forums experience knowing the stupid poo poo you like and the apparent fact taht you have nothing better you could be doing right now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Robo Reagan posted:

im glad you went through the entire list and picked the ones you read it has really enriched my forums experience knowing the stupid poo poo you like and the apparent fact taht you have nothing better you could be doing right now

it wasn't so bad because I actually read several words per minute, but thank you for pwning me

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Robo Reagan posted:

must suck to not be fully completely 100% white as hell, i just had to read the title to know that i own all those books but i can see how if youre like 37% puerto rican or something youd need to take a few mins to pick out the ones you own

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

must suck to not be fully completely 100% white as hell, i just had to read the title to know that i own all those books but i can see how if youre like 37% puerto rican or something youd need to take a few mins to pick out the ones you own

I started out white but I took the "jew" prestige class at age 13 and so it is now more ambiguous. Am I more jew than man now? Who can say?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

orly posted:

To it's credit, it does deal a lot in introspection and self-concept. Or is that not a good thing for white people to do?
I'd think Steppenwolf then probably Siddhartha would be the order of appearance for Hesse books if they were to show up at all.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I own and have read 17 of those books. I have other books by 19 of the authors on that list. Very little in the way of classics on this list. No Shakespeare, no Proust, no Dickens or Hugo. There's a lot of classic science texts that could be included. Darwin, Newton and Lyell come to mind.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

Wow another unfunny and gay article.

Don't sign your posts, hahaH.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dyna Soar posted:

share it with my cousin, been in the family for decades. it aint actually worth much, maybe 30-40 grand. still, a nice thing to have.

"oh just some FAMILY CABIN, only worth FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLARS"

*roots through wallet to leave a tip, FAMILY CABIN falls out*
"Oh, haha, sorry about that, that's just the ol memento reminds me of the fams"

"Hon, what's this?"
"Oh, its where I keep my thousands of literary journals and cerebral manuscripts, glad I got it, no big deal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

"Hon, what's this?"
"Oh, its where I keep my thousands of literary journals and cerebral manuscripts, glad I got it, no big deal"

hah. well, the land is worth something but the cabin is slowly falling apart. needs repairs that would cost 10-15k or take a whole summers worth of work if i did them myself. oh well, we'll use it for as long as we can and sell the land when the cabin falls completely apart. should get maybe 30k for it.

i live in teh sticks so everyone has a cabin here.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

"Hon, what's this?"

look at this loving poor rear end in a top hat

sorry youre poor

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lol if you're white and don't own minority inhabited rental property

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Don't sign your posts, hahaH.

LOL!!! :)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
*list of popular books written by white men*

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
haha look at all the angry goons whenever a strong woman tells the truth

owned

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Bip Roberts posted:

The Bible

By Jesus Christ

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
are there any women on that list? ayn rand is there right? she was a self hating woman anyway.

something by margaret atwood or doris lessing should be mandatory reading imo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

real_slime posted:

what's the point of this list?

'ha ha feel bad about yourself'?

maybe it's more light hearted in intention, but observations like this that don't really say anything are all over the place. like 'we've got you figured out you like
these books, right? idiots.'

this self-loathing stuff is stupid. i see the list was written by the woman but it's usually a bunch of white men who share this kind of thing, trying to ascend their awareness by scoffing at other white men.

most people don't even own or read books anyway.

whhat do u find most insulting about this list op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
this is a lovely listicle, i'm pretty sure most white men (or people in general) don't even have that many books

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I used to have the whole series but I lent the last 2 out and never got them back, which is fine, Knee Deep and Hell on Earth are the two worth reading from the Doom series.

lol you got some huge guts saying the doom books are worth reading

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

theres a lot of real classics on this list no irony

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Profondo Rosso posted:

theres a lot of real classics on this list no irony

trim some of the more recent bestseller and it's a p. good list of books everyone should probably read at some point

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

try-hard book gazers gettin salty itt

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Q: Why did the white man cross the road

A: That's not funny, there's no joke, why are white liberals always so guilty and self-flagellating, my black friend crossed a road once why this gotta be a 'white' thing, you're just looking for attention

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

quote:

Altogether the piece is indicative of a growing exhaustion, with desultory, rote online writing. “Hey, you guys like lists. And you love calling other white people white. Here you go. Eat your slop. Enjoy.”

Crunk Magnet
Feb 19, 2004
Poop Soup
Didn't see "The Turner Diaries" on there so the list is hosed up.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
That's a pretty broad range of books. I think the female equivalent would read something like: Twilight, 50 shades, (other poo poo novels)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
books that literally all white women own:

twilight
50 shades
virginia woolf
danielle steel

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
foods that literally all white men eat

spaghetti
pizza
vegetables
a burrito
green vegetables
rice
bread
a taco
milk
fats oils salts
Candy Bar
hambruger
tubers
soda-pop

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Drinks that all literally white women drink:

Mojitos

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Drinks that all literally white women drink:

Mojitos

Hemingway invented the mojito you prick

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I intend to refuse to read anything by Charles Dickens for the rest of my life in retribution for how much reading Great Expectations in 9th grade sucked. Do you have any advice for me on this journey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

books that literally all white women own:

twilight
50 shades
virginia woolf
danielle steel

Eighty young adult books, gets salty when you refer to them as "children's books".

• Locked thread