Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
monoprice 9937

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

I use $22 over-ear headphones produced and branded by a company that exists mostly to sell bulk quantities of generic CAT5 and HDMI cabling.

They're actually really good.

we all know about monoprice, you don't have a secret

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
some $30 jvc ha-rx700 got the base parts of way more expensive headphones
take em vanilla or open the cups and do a little modding

might be weird having an 11 foot cord if you just sit at your computer though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

John Denver Hoxha posted:

it is gangsta as gently caress to make a billion dollars hustling poo poo headphones
its almost on the counterfeit meat level

man why real rear end niggas trying to sling t-shirts, that game is played

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sony MDR-7506 are VERY good for the money ($100) http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

They are quality made, and very comfortable if you have a goon sized head.

Also agree with the Audio Technica's. Both Headphones sound better and more accurate than beats.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wulfolme posted:

we all know about monoprice, you don't have a secret

no way, I was sure I belonged to an exclusive club :(

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
For cheap wired headphones I like akg 240s because they are very low impedance and play on everything, comfortable as hell, and only 70 so you can pick up a cheap fiio amp and keep it all under 100.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

lol yes open-back high impedance headphones are truly the best choice for the casual listener
I said don't wear them on the bus! their ears will thank me later. that's a phenomenal price.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Kuato posted:

I bought those overpriced $299 cool looking black and red studio beats, aside from listening to them once they've sat in their case unused for several months.

Welp that's my dr dre studio beats story, thanks for reading :)

I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 pros and a fiio e6 to drive the fuckers. Ended up costing less than $60 for both since the cans were used. That's my headphone story, thanks for reading.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

got those bad boys for $5 on sale and they cancel out the sounds at work.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Get Sennheiser anything just don't expect it to excite anybody worthwhile.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

just get sony studio monitoring headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

you arent special enough to need anything better than the classic

xechostormx posted:

Sony MDR-7506 are VERY good for the money ($100) http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

They are quality made, and very comfortable if you have a goon sized head.

Seriously though these are pretty much the best $100 headphones.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

i like monoprice branded stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...rice+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...=monoprice+buds

i bet these sound just as good as whatever 100 dollar stuff people buy

Frozen to Death fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 15, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if we could talk speakers for a sec

I've had these Klipsch brand speakers for like 100 years now (more like 10) and they are working more or less, though less when it comes to the volume control knobby cutting out the sound now and then. Anyone recommend a low profile sound setup, not really looking for a 5.1 Megan Trainer floor fucker

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

tetsuo posted:

I said don't wear them on the bus! their ears will thank me later. that's a phenomenal price.

tbh im a little salty that they are that cheap because I own a pair and I had been thinking about selling them but that price drop means I'd be lucky to get $150 for them

They're sweet but they need a decent DAC/amp to shine. Not worht the trouble IMO, just get some headphones from $50-100 and forget about the rest

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Kuato posted:

I bought those overpriced $299 cool looking black and red studio beats, aside from listening to them once they've sat in their case unused for several months.

Welp that's my dr dre studio beats story, thanks for reading :)

theres literally 1000 pairs of these on craigslist for $50 or a decent bag of meth

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
I have the Grados 225 and theyre good

adult male acne posted:

i like monoprice branded stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...rice+headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...=monoprice+buds

i bet these sound just as good as whatever 100 dollar stuff people buy

They dont even list the frequency response,, bitch...

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

the what?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Just take your phone (or iPod or whatever) to a store and try out a bunch of different brands/styles. Buy the ones that are the most comfortable and sound the best to you, either there in the store or online if you can find a better price. It's really not that difficult, and this way you know you'll be happy with whatever you end up buying since you actually did a little research before plunking down your hard earned cash.

E:

The specs that show the range of frequencies that the headphones can reproduce along with how well they can do so.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 15, 2015

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
turnips by tupac

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Mentalizer posted:

The specs that show the range of frequencies that the headphones can reproduce along with how well they can do so.

sounds like cool stuff that nobody give a poo poo about

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

a bay posted:

For the price anyway, I'm not an audiophile that needs to spend $500 on something that I'm going to wear on the bus.

i literraly just bought theses and was gonna ask goons if they're worth $70

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

i read a review saying they're dope for the money

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Remember when Eazy-E and Dre had a rap war?

Eazy-E is now dead of AIDS while Dre is a billionaire.

Makes you think.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hobohemian posted:

For cheap wired headphones I like akg 240s because they are very low impedance and play on everything, comfortable as hell, and only 70 so you can pick up a cheap fiio amp and keep it all under 100.

mine arrive tomorrow

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
fourthing audiotechnica (bang for buck).

I have "ATH-ANC7b"

They are killa for plane travel. Note exact model number, I think they brought out a newer one that is apparently shite.

You can also be a stick-it-to-the-man hipster. Bose sued them over these because "they could not be this good without copying one of our patents".

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I CAN SEE THE MUSIC

lol at the art direction here

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I won a pair of Beats Solo 2s a while back and decided to give them a listen instead of selling them on in a sealed box.

They're ok, not particularly great, certainly not worth the £170 they sell for in stores.

I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770s a month or so ago for £110 and they're pretty dang great sounding, far better than Beats.

Here ends my review of Beats Solo 2s.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lol the reviews on headphones are hilarious, those people sound gay as gently caress

quote:

As a lover of classical music I am a confirmed headphone listener. No set of speakers will offer the same amount of detail, most living rooms will add acoustic distortions, and many of us are not lucky enough to be able to play Mahler or Shostakovich at full power on a daily basis without getting into trouble with the neighbours.

hahaha yeah i always piss off the neighbs with mahler and shostawhatever

heres the entire loving review for anybody dumb enough to want to read it

quote:

As a lover of classical music I am a confirmed headphone listener. No set of speakers will offer the same amount of detail, most living rooms will add acoustic distortions, and many of us are not lucky enough to be able to play Mahler or Shostakovich at full power on a daily basis without getting into trouble with the neighbours.

For years I have been very happy with the Sony CD1700, an excellent headphone which is my point of reference for evaluating the HD650. The rest of my hifi set-up consists of a Marantz cd7300 CD player, PM7200 amplifier, and Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 headphone amplifier (a mandatory commodity if you intend to spend serious money on a headphone like this one). Also, I invested in the Cardas replacement cable for the HD650.

It is often said phones like this one need a 'break in' period. I used to regard this merely as snobbish audiophile technobabble - but found it to be actually true. Initially, I was less than pleased with the sound of the HD650, to put it mildly. Mid-range, mezzoforte strings (which make up a VERY large part of orchestral music!) sounded grey and weirdly disembodied. Stereo separation was exaggerated while the middle part of the soundstage seemed empty. Compared to the breezy, open sound of the Sony, the Sennheiser seemed compressed and less immediately involving.
Things were not helped by the fact that the wearing comfort of these cans is markedly inferior to that of the Sony. The HD650 has fairly small shells that are not ideal if your ears aren't quite that small. Also, they are clamped against the head rather tightly, which is not entirely pleasant. The Sony, by contrast, simply lets you forget you are wearing it.

But then, after about 50 hours of listening, things had changed rather much. Not with regard to the wearing comfort, obviously, though you do get used to the way the HD650 feels; - but soundwise. The sound had opened up completely; not only is it now as fresh and involving as that of the Sony, it is clearly superior. Everything is incredibly focused, tightly in place, resulting in a very clean sound picture. The bass is far superior to the Sony, and is noticeably warmer. Bass drum strokes or double bass pizzicati sound nothing short of sensational. Instrumental colours are marvellously defined throughout the orchestral ranges. The level of detail is quite simply stunning. I am not exagerrating when I say that I've heard new things in nearly every disc I played until now (in an old-time favourite, Bernstein's DG recording of Stravinsky's Les Noces, I was bowled over by the precision with which the four piano's, which had always sounded as a single instrument to me, were individually separated). Interestingly, a sense of underlying energy is retained even in the softest passages; I notice that with this headphone large scale symphonic works may sound completely satisfying even when played at fairly low volume.

All in all, I am now extremely pleased with this acquisition. It is hard to imagine that headphone sound can be much better. Listening to a well-recorded disc (and beware! these cans will mercilessly reveal which discs aren't so well recorded) you can easily imagine yourself to be sitting in the concert hall.

As a postscript: I am less sure about the cable issue. Many HD650 owners advise the replacement of Sennheiser's stock cable with a Cardas cable. Now, I always have the feeling that in these more esoteric regions of audiophilia, there is somewhere a point where actual sound improvements become extremely minimal, and myth or even madness set in. Yet, as I was splurging anyway, for once I went the whole hog and bought myself the Cardas cable, too. Frankly; you don't really need it. I will not go so far as to say it doesn't make a difference; it does. There is, at times, an extra sparkle to the sound. But it certainly is not a prerequisite to fully enjoy the wonders of the HD650 (quite apart from the fact that the Cardas cable is a hideously ugly thing to behold, makes the phones far more cumbersome to wear, and unlike the thinner, more supple stock cable causes contact noise).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
audiophiles are some of the most ridiculous people. that being said, i spend money on nice enough stereo equipment because i want to hEAR it but otoh i don't have special acoustic carpeting in my house or $100 cables. i like grado headphones. you wouldnt want to wear them out in public though. just get some nice in ears for public use. i forget what the good brands are but they shouldnt be hard to research.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

how do you guys feel about headphone amps? i want this

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

my usually sensible friend recently got a new job that pays him like 3 times as much and he's started buying amps for his old iPod and poo poo.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K240-Semi-Open-Professional-Studio-Headphones-Brand-New-/191568727217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9a62ccb1

These are better quality and obviously better value than beats, yw

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Having an amp for your headphones is kind of a necessity for home listening. even if you just run them through a spare receiver you have lying around its better than nothing. Hooked straight up to my laptop my headphones sound only half as good.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Having an amp for your headphones is kind of a necessity for home listening. even if you just run them through a spare receiver you have lying around its better than nothing. Hooked straight up to my laptop my headphones sound only half as good.

dang it i think you just pushed me off the fence. i'm buying.

why work 3 jobs if you can't buy retarded poo poo?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

if you're running off a laptop aren't you better going through an external sound card? I dunno i have a pretty sweet system at home.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

A misanthrope posted:

i literraly just bought theses and was gonna ask goons if they're worth $70

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

i read a review saying they're dope for the money

i've never had AKGs that i was disappointed with for the price and i have alot of them from earbuds to high end monitor headphones hth

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

A misanthrope posted:

dang it i think you just pushed me off the fence. i'm buying.

why work 3 jobs if you can't buy retarded poo poo?

Yeah, it does up the game for any pair of headphones significantly. The fiio e6 is great for only 30, its very small and you can recharge it while using it. No replaceable battery though. I used mine until the battery completely died. I moved up to an e12 and while it does work better it cant charge and play at the same time. At least it runs on a fairly easy to find nokia battery.

opus111 posted:

if you're running off a laptop aren't you better going through an external sound card? I dunno i have a pretty sweet system at home.

You can find a lot of little amps now with a built in DAC if it's mainly going to be for computer use.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 15, 2015

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ive been using the same sony MDR-ZX100 set for years; they're generic as hell but I got them for like <$20 and they been sturdy through all sorts of mishaps other headphones would've been busted up from

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah, it does up the game for any pair of headphones significantly. The fiio e6 is great for only 30, its very small and you can recharge it while using it. No replaceable battery though. I used mine until the battery completely died. I moved up to an e12 and while it does work better it cant charge and play at the same time. At least it runs on a fairly easy to find nokia battery though.

oh poo poo -- yeah $30 is good for me at least to try the thing out and see what it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I have the Audeze LCD-3 and if I don't want to wear something big, Ultimate Ears PRMs. The PRMs were a little annoying because they have to be custom made to fit your ears. Either are a good choice though.

• Locked thread