Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
In that book which is my memory,
On the first page of the chapter that is the day when I first saw Fury Road,
Appear the words, ‘Oh, what a day. What a lovely day’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a good picture of the brand on Furiosa's neck anywhere? Or the iron they were going to use on Max? Because I'm really considering being an idiot and getting it as a tattoo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

This. The first time I saw it the theater was calibrated wonkily, then I saw it again today at a different, better theater and it was all crystal clear. Except for the one part right before the sandstorm where one of the warboys seemed to be yelling "human being" over and over again, but that can't be right.

haha I thought that too!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a good picture of the brand on Furiosa's neck anywhere? Or the iron they were going to use on Max? Because I'm really considering being an idiot and getting it as a tattoo.

You mean this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sean10mm posted:

You mean this?

Yes, thank you.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The dude next to me reacted to every single trailer (Terminator, Jurassic World, Ant-Man) with "schlecht...so schlecht" (bad... so bad in German). I couldn't really disagree, though I think JW has some schlocky potential.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

The movie could not decide if it wanted to take itself seriously or not.
The sped up scenes felt cartoonish, like Benny Hill should have been playing every time.
Max suffers PTSD, smacks his head, and that leads to him catching a crossbow bolt?
Anything involving Nux was terrible. The very, very forced romance between him and the red head? No reason for it, none. The idea that he's helpful and trustworthy suddenly? Larry and Barry? OK?
I would quote a guy above saying that the action scenes had weight to them, but I'm on mobile. No, no they didn't. They were certainly creative, but there was zero consequence for anything but the last battle of the rig. They took a buzz saw to the tires with no ramifications, what was the point of having a convoy?
Why have Norton pull an Australian Batman accent when no one else even comes close to it?
Speaking of Norton, the chuckle grunts he does after saying his name were so ridiculous I laughed when it happened. Terrible delivery.

There's probably more I disliked, but I don't understand the acclaim it's getting.

99% of movies are garabage. A ton of movies Cinema Discusso gush over are trash for idiots. I've posted here many times calling out posters for swindling people to see terrible films like the recent Spider Man movies.

That being said, Mad Max Fury Road is a masterpiece. If you didn't like it you're an idiot.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

warhammer651 posted:

My main complaints are that 1) the audio balance seemed skewed, so half the time I couldn't understand what the hell anyone was actually saying during the action sequences

I don't wanna make excuses or anything but I had the exact same complaint coming out of my first viewing and when I went to see it at a different venue the audio was flawless. First time around I couldn't even hear the speech at the beginning due to some weird reverb effect, let alone action dialogue. So this may be an issue with the place you saw it at, and not so much the film itself? At least it was for me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I noticed that a lot of the preview shots were done in the desaturated, very gray tones of typical post-apocalypse films even though the film and trailers are full color and brightly saturated. I wonder what the goal of that was?
The preview shots were before the colour-correction was put in?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hemale in pain posted:

haha I thought that too!

I gather that he's yelling "Fang it!" which is Australian for, "I say old chap, would you mind terribly if we could go a little bit faster?"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheJoker138 posted:

Good call, getting the logo of a fascistic, slave owning death cult from a movie permanently etched into your skin.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Angrymog posted:

I gather that he's yelling "Fang it!" which is Australian for, "I say old chap, would you mind terribly if we could go a little bit faster?"

Yup!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fang+it

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

victrix posted:

For some value of happy. They've still gotta negotiate with whoever ends up ruling bullet and gas towns. And buzzards. And biker gangs. And you know, usual wasteland poo poo.

I think Furiosa has a lot of recognition in all three towns so I kind I'd surmise that she can fill the power vacuum in all of them. It seems the old leaders were related so perhaps the remaining pregnant one might even have a lineage type thing that might get her installed as leader in another town.

Being honest, Furiosa could support her own movie under the Mad Max branding if they were so inclined.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

Good call, getting the logo of a fascistic, slave owning death cult from a movie permanently etched into your skin.

That's why it's a "considering" thing and not a "I am going to get this tattoo right now," thing.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Ape Agitator posted:

I think Furiosa has a lot of recognition in all three towns so I kind I'd surmise that she can fill the power vacuum in all of them. It seems the old leaders were related so perhaps the remaining pregnant one might even have a lineage type thing that might get her installed as leader in another town.

Being honest, Furiosa could support her own movie under the Mad Max branding if they were so inclined.

Didn't they say that Miller already had a script for a Furiosa movie? (Or at least an idea for one?)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't know how much this is contributing to the slow box office but before I actually looked into it, I just assumed this was another stupid Total Recall/Robocop remake deal.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tvb posted:

Didn't they say that Miller already had a script for a Furiosa movie? (Or at least an idea for one?)

He has finished scripts for another Mad Max and a Furiosa spin off.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Hahaha

https://www.facebook.com/MadMaxMovie/videos/674195282685996/

"I alpha'd them all."

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, he was. Somehow the first time I saw the movie--same theater, same settings, same everything--I heard it as "Fang it!" unambiguously, but the second time it struck me as him just randomly screaming "human being!" for no discernible reason which got me laughing.

parara posted:

I don't wanna make excuses or anything but I had the exact same complaint coming out of my first viewing and when I went to see it at a different venue the audio was flawless. First time around I couldn't even hear the speech at the beginning due to some weird reverb effect, let alone action dialogue. So this may be an issue with the place you saw it at, and not so much the film itself? At least it was for me.

The opening monologue had alot of surround sound fill for... I dunno, reasons. If a theater had their surrounds up too high or if you were just sitting close enough to one where it drowned out the center channel that's what happens. There's a very good reason that most dialogue is kept to the center channel.

Funny enough this is one of the reasons that the dialogue in Interstellar was impossible to hear during loud scenes. Nolan apparently doesn't understand sound design and had everything play on every speaker because MORE LOUDERER.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
From what I could gather from interviews, Furiosa spin off has no script. There is a novella for one Max screenplay and a full script for another.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I having looked around, I still can't figure out how this movie took so long to hit the cinemas. I know one of the actors in 'Prometheus', and he told me Charlize Theron came on set to that film having already shot most of her scenes for Fury Road. There's some waffly nonsense about the studio doubling the budget halfway through, and something else about how they needed to film in another country for some reason, anyone have anything more concrete?

parara
Apr 9, 2010

TerminalBlue posted:

The opening monologue had alot of surround sound fill for... I dunno, reasons. If a theater had their surrounds up too high or if you were just sitting close enough to one where it drowned out the center channel that's what happens. There's a very good reason that most dialogue is kept to the center channel.

Funny enough this is one of the reasons that the dialogue in Interstellar was impossible to hear during loud scenes. Nolan apparently doesn't understand sound design and had everything play on every speaker because MORE LOUDERER.

It was actually everything after the title screen up to the first chase, most notably Immortan Joe's speech. I got all the information I needed from the rest of the movie but I had no idea until last night that they were called War Boys, or why exactly Max was strapped to the car (beyond obvious visual reasons), or what the original purpose of Furiosa's supply run was (if it was a supply run at all), etc. It was interesting to see it the second time with perfect audio and realizing how much better the movie got hearing all those things, despite the fact I already loved it enough to go see it again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Stroker Ace posted:

This might be obvious but Max walking off into the night to kill the Bullet Farmer really reminded me of Kyuzo in Seven Samurai going off to get the musket, thought it was a nice nod to another semi-silent, reluctant rear end kicker.

Me too, the whole part with the muskets in Seven Samurai is my favorite asides from the battle at the end.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sector_corrector posted:

Yolo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I think for big theaters, the sound mixing involves more than just playing a sound file through some speakers. loving up the settings is a bad thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

I having looked around, I still can't figure out how this movie took so long to hit the cinemas. I know one of the actors in 'Prometheus', and he told me Charlize Theron came on set to that film having already shot most of her scenes for Fury Road. There's some waffly nonsense about the studio doubling the budget halfway through, and something else about how they needed to film in another country for some reason, anyone have anything more concrete?
Somebody said this several pages back

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I still prefer "kick it in the guts"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

The dude ages in dog years, I swear. Beyond Thunderdome is only six years after the first one and he went from a babyface kid to looking and sounding like he's going on 50.

The mad max wiki said that the thunderdome movie is set 15 years after mad max 2.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Angrymog posted:

The preview shots were before the colour-correction was put in?

I don't think so. The desaturation is something that has to be done in post-production; B-roll footage shows that the deserts of Namibia actually have a very khaki color. The film was color corrected to give it that orange tone and make it looks more like the Australia filming locations, but those preview pictures could only have been intentionally done like that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It seems so far that Mad Max isn't underperforming. Not getting the number one spot may hurt sequel prospects but it's not quite the situation you had with Pacific Rim.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't know how much this is contributing to the slow box office but before I actually looked into it, I just assumed this was another stupid Total Recall/Robocop remake deal.

I think that 16 million for Friday right on the heels of a Marvel Studios juggernaut up against huge counterprogramming (the Pitch Perfect sequel) is pretty good. HSX is reasonably accurate, and it has it pegged at 122 million. Foreign boxoffice numbers aren't in yet, but I think it will do good business abroad. Studio accounting is tricky, but I would estimate around 400 million lifetime.

Edit: to say nothing of its cult following and word of mouth, which is good for secondary market sales like DVD and VoD.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

They started filming in Australia in 2011 or 2012, but had to move to Namibia after unseasonal rains turned the Australian outback too lush and green for their wasteland. Filming was 120 days, but I believe that's actual work days; assuming 5-day work weeks, that's 24 weeks or 5.5 months of filming. They also did reshoots in November 2013 and I think were even reshooting some things this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

It should get blown up in every sequel from now on

There's a game coming out in September made by the Just Cause people and the story has Max lose the Interceptor right at the beginning too.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
I'm kind of curious why they didn't let Max pull at at least some cool poo poo with the Interceptor while he still had it like in the beginning of The Road Warrior. I thought it was the best looking car in the movie, especially before the warboys modded it, probably due to my unhealthy level of love for RW. Later in the movie when Interceptor 2.0 rolls up alongside the war rig with Nux's old buddy driving it, I thought for a moment Max would reclaim it and wreck some poo poo. It's sort of weird that in all 4 movies, really all that's done with the most iconic vehicle is Max running down some bikers at the end of MM and a relatively short, tame chase at the beginning of RW.

Also, what are people's thoughts on Max going off and doing a badass thing off-screen? One poster said it had vibes of the musket grabbing scene from 7 Samurai, which is cool, but there's got to more to it than that. It felt a little weird and out of place to me, and the lines about him "retaliating first" and it not being his blood on him when he got back stood out as the only really corny and cliched ones in the movie. Maybe Miller wanted to give him a moment where he displayed some initiative and was no longer just reacting to what happened to him like an animal?

Mac Con fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 16, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I didn't plan on seeing it this weekend, but now...

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'm hoping we can get a best supporting actor nod for Barry and Larry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chitoryu12 posted:

They started filming in Australia in 2011 or 2012, but had to move to Namibia after unseasonal rains turned the Australian outback too lush and green for their wasteland. Filming was 120 days, but I believe that's actual work days; assuming 5-day work weeks, that's 24 weeks or 5.5 months of filming. They also did reshoots in November 2013 and I think were even reshooting some things this year.
Yeah, Charlize Theron and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley were both on The Tonight Show within the past week or so, and I forget which one now, but one of them said it was 6 months of shooting in Namibia.

e: Also here's a real shot of Namibia not from the movie, for reference:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 16, 2015

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
The editing and continuity in this movie is loving unbelievable. Just think of how easy it is to make a visually incoherent chase scene that has a fraction of the number of vehicles/characters as this movie does. The fact that the action in this is both as exciting as it is AND relatively easy to follow is a technical miracle, given how complex every minute of every major sequence is.

edit:

Mac Con posted:

Also, what are people's thoughts on Max going off and doing a badass thing off-screen? One poster said it had vibes of the musket grabbing scene from 7 Samurai, which is cool, but there's got to more to it than that. It felt a little weird and out of place to me, and the lines about him "retaliating first" and it not being his blood on him when he got back stood out as the only really corny and cliched ones in the movie. Maybe Miller wanted to give him a moment where he displayed some initiative and was no longer just reacting to what happened to him like an animal?

What I liked about this scene is that it established that it's Furiosa's movie/narrative as much as Max's.

edit: Well, not established so much as reinforced. Point remains.

tvb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 16, 2015

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

chitoryu12 posted:

This is helpful, thanks.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

tvb posted:

What I liked about this scene is that it established that it's Furiosa's movie/narrative as much as Max's.

I wish they had done more to cement this as 'A story about Mad Max the Traveller as told by Furiosa'. I think having her do the opening narration would've been a good way to do that, similar to how there was a third party (aka The Feral Kid) talking about Max and the apocalypse in Road Warrior's opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

tvb posted:

The editing and continuity in this movie is loving unbelievable. Just think of how easy it is to make a visually incoherent chase scene that has a fraction of the number of vehicles/characters as this movie does. The fact that the action in this is both as exciting as it is AND relatively easy to follow is a technical miracle, given how complex every minute of every major sequence is.

See: Taken 3 (aka the only film I've ever come close to walking out of)

On that note, there was a guy sitting behind me in Fury Road discussing Taken with his buddy before the movie started. He was saying how "Taken 3 totally made up for Taken 2". Apparently not everyone seeing Mad Max has taste in films.

• Locked thread