Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Forever_Peace posted:

Here are the Quarterbacks going up against the NE secondary this year, in order:

Big Ben (home)
Manuel
Bortles (home)
Bye
Romo
Luck
Geno Smith (home)
Tannehill (home)
RG3 (home)
Eli
Manuel (home)
Peyton
Bradford Sanchize Tebow or I dunno maybe Brandon Spikes or something who the gently caress knows at this point (home)
Ryan Mallett
Marioto (home)
Geno Smith
Tannehill

Start of the season will be rocky, but then it is a parade of clowns. Maybe we get away with it?

Tannehill is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Forever_Peace posted:

Here are the Quarterbacks going up against the NE secondary this year, in order:

Big Ben (home)
Manuel
Bortles (home)
Bye
Romo
Luck
Geno Smith (home)
Tannehill (home)
RG3 (home)
Eli
Manuel (home)
Peyton
Bradford Sanchize Tebow or I dunno maybe Brandon Spikes or something who the gently caress knows at this point (home)
Ryan Mallett
Marioto (home)
Geno Smith
Tannehill

Start of the season will be rocky, but then it is a parade of clowns. Maybe we get away with it?

But you left out the playoff run to the Super Bowl?

TubeStank posted:

Tannehill is pretty good

But is he better than Alex Smith?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Ehud posted:

if Ryan Tannehill can't succeed against the New England secondary while throwing to Landry, Stills, Jennings, Parker, and Cameron then he deserves to be bolded

I think he will succeed tho

Tannehill is a solidly above-average quarterback for the first three yards, after which he is pretty average.

Jamie Collins and Jerod Mayo are probably more important to our matchups against Tannehill than our CBs. I'm more worried about Lamar Miller, who I think is way better than people give him credit for.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

Let's say we lose literally every one of those games.

Tell me which of the following teams is going to get more than 11 wins this year and beat the Pats to the playoffs:
Buffalo Bills
NY Jets
Miami Dolphins

TIA

Have you taken into consideration the suspension looming for noted repeated cheater Tom Brady?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Forever_Peace posted:

Let's say we lose literally every one of those games.

Tell me which of the following teams is going to get more than 11 wins this year and beat the Pats to the playoffs:
Buffalo Bills
NY Jets
Miami Dolphins

TIA

i was inclined to say the bills and dolphins, and lookie here those teams both beat the pats last year

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

NC-17 posted:

But is he better than Alex Smith?

Yeah pretty easily. Dude has wheels and his deep ball is getting better.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

NC-17 posted:

I agree, the Pats aren't my superbowl pick this year, in part because of the secondary. But honestly getting to the playoffs is enough to consider it a successful season, and they're random enough that the Pats would have a chance to go fairly deep even with a collection of wet paper bags for CBs.

quote:

i was inclined to say the bills and dolphins, and lookie here those teams both beat the pats last year

ROFL, you willing to toxx yourself that BOTH the Bills AND the Dolphins get 12 or more wins this year?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
indeed, i definitely give a big poo poo about this

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Forever_Peace posted:

I agree, the Pats aren't my superbowl pick this year, in part because of the secondary. But honestly getting to the playoffs is enough to consider it a successful season, and they're random enough that the Pats would have a chance to go fairly deep even with a collection of wet paper bags for CBs.

ROFL, you willing to toxx yourself that BOTH the Bills AND the Dolphins get 12 or more wins this year?

Are you so confident that the pats will get 12 or more wins, or that 12 or more wins are necessary to win the AFC East this year?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rolling on the floor

literally

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I like the subtle Pats Fan Swagger that their 12 wins are chiseled in stone despite (a) not having internationally recognized stain on the game Tom Brady for four games and (b) the AFC East is way better than last year, meaning fewer tomato cans for noted cheater T*m Br*dy to knock down.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

FizFashizzle posted:

Chimdi.......we're home

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Have you taken into consideration the suspension looming for noted repeated cheater Tom Brady?

Glass houses there Fiz, glass houses.

*grips his laptop a littler tighter*

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

windshipper posted:

Are you so confident that the pats will get 12 or more wins, or that 12 or more wins are necessary to win the AFC East this year?

No, it was hypothetical posted by somebody else. We face 5 games against very good quarterbacks and 11 games against quarterbacks that are probably beatable even with a trash secondary, so I played out the hypothetical and asked who would beat the Pats into the playoffs even if they did lose every single one of those five games.

FWIW the over/under for pats wins was 10.5 prior to the suspension. They've removed the win totals bets after the suspension at vegasinsider, but the Pats are still tied with the Colts at the highest odds to win the AFC championship outright.

All I'm saying is that the Pats have a good shot at making the playoffs despite having a trash secondary because we play a lot of below-average quarterbacks this season. This isn't really all that controversial.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

windshipper posted:

I mean, really, with harsher competition, that means fewer wins to go to a single team at any given time. That means AFC East teams will lose to each other.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

No, it was hypothetical posted by somebody else. We face 5 games against very good quarterbacks and 11 games against quarterbacks that are probably beatable even with a trash secondary, so I played out the hypothetical and asked who would beat the Pats into the playoffs even if they did lose every single one of those five games.

FWIW the over/under for pats wins was 10.5 prior to the suspension. They've removed the win totals bets after the suspension at vegasinsider, but the Pats are still tied with the Colts at the highest odds to win the AFC championship outright.

All I'm saying is that the Pats have a good shot at making the playoffs despite having a trash secondary because we play a lot of below-average quarterbacks this season. This isn't really all that controversial.

Most teams play 4 - 5 good quarterbacks and the rest are mediocre or worse. There are only a handful or good quarterbacks in the league. The other teams in the division got better and the Patriots have a cheating suspended qb, lost all of their good players in the secondary and did nothing to replace them in the draft.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Forever_Peace posted:

Noted Trash Quarterback and Patriot slayer Ryan Tannehill. Noted Trash Team Buffalo Bills. Noted Trash Defense New York Jets. Noted Trash QBs Romo, Luck, Peyton?

TubeStank posted:

Most teams play 4 - 5 good quarterbacks and the rest are mediocre or worse. There are only a handful or good quarterbacks in the league. The other teams in the division got better and the Patriots have a cheating suspended qb, lost all of their good players in the secondary and did nothing to replace them in the draft.

Nov 6, 2002

TubeStank posted:

It's all on paper my friend.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
ROFL!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Russel Wilson is great because they either won't pay him and he'll walk and everyone will talk about how dumb the Seahawks FO is or they'll pay him a ton on a long term contract and then be stuck with him when Marshawn breaks down and the offense goes to poo poo.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

TubeStank posted:

Well, by definition, the average team will play above-average quarterbacks half the time and below-average quarterbacks half the time. That's just how averages work.

But because NFL schedules are not random, some teams will just go up against a big string of below-average quarterbacks some years. This just happens to be one of those years for the Pats. I would have liked to keep Browner, sure, but McCourty was by far the more important extension, and bolstering the front seven in the draft was probably a smart move considering we play the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins twice a year.

But look, if you think I'm wrong about that, and the lack of a secondary will cause the Pats to lose enough games to EJ Manuel and Geno Smith to miss out on the playoffs, now's the time to go place your bet, because the vegas odds still have the Pats on top.

Windshipper go home, you're drunk.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You'll win the division because your QB is Tom Brady and you're playing in a division where the other QB's are an above average Ryan Tannehill and two teams with bad QB situations. And also because you'll cheat.

Not having a secondary is going to kill the Pats in the playoffs though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

You'll win the division because your QB is Tom Brady and you're playing in a division where the other QB's are an above average Ryan Tannehill and two teams with bad QB situations. And also because you'll cheat.

Not having a secondary is going to kill the Pats in the playoffs though.

No it won't.

They'll inevitably get the colts and just run the ball 50 times because Grigson is an untalented hack who spent a first round pick on a 4th string wr.

They'll face the Panthers in the playoffs where Shula will try to outsmart Bill by only calling 0 routes and running Cam Newton off tackle behind Jonathan Martin.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Any AFC team that makes it to the super bowl is going to get destroyed by the Seahawks so it doesnt really matter

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think the one time the Patriots played Jonathan Martin Justin Francis got the 3 sacks of his career.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope Jimmy G sucks 4 games straight then Brady spends 4-5 games sucking because he's been out of the offense.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

No it won't.

They'll inevitably get the colts and just run the ball 50 times because Grigson is an untalented hack who spent a first round pick on a 4th string wr.

They'll face the Panthers in the playoffs where Shula will try to outsmart Bill by only calling 0 routes and running Cam Newton off tackle behind Jonathan Martin.

I would guess that Ehud is right about our playoff chances, actually.

Andrew Luck can score through the air on a trash secondary faster than Jonas Gray Dion Lewis can score on the ground, even against IND.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

No it won't.

you got the panthers/pats in the super bowl eh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

Big Ben (home)
Manuel
Bortles (home)
Bye
Romo
Luck
Geno Smith (home)
Tannehill (home)
RG3 (home)
Eli
Manuel (home)
Peyton
Ryan Mallett
Marioto (home)
Geno Smith
Tannehill

mariota should be italicized because we don't know what he is yet

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

you got the panthers/pats in the super bowl eh

I can dream.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

Well, by definition, the average team will play above-average quarterbacks half the time and below-average quarterbacks half the time. That's just how averages work.

But because NFL schedules are not random, some teams will just go up against a big string of below-average quarterbacks some years. This just happens to be one of those years for the Pats. I would have liked to keep Browner, sure, but McCourty was by far the more important extension, and bolstering the front seven in the draft was probably a smart move considering we play the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins twice a year.

But look, if you think I'm wrong about that, and the lack of a secondary will cause the Pats to lose enough games to EJ Manuel and Geno Smith to miss out on the playoffs, now's the time to go place your bet, because the vegas odds still have the Pats on top.

Windshipper go home, you're drunk.

You are aware that there are more things to a football team than just a QB right? The Bills have a great defense and didn't need to score much to beat Detroit or Green Bay or pretty much every team that they beat. The Jets defense got better as well. The Dolphins added Suh. It ain't gonna be the cakewalk to 12 - 4 that you seem to believe it is.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

mariota should be italicized because we don't know what he is yet

I think he could end up pretty good, true. But we do know that he is a rookie with a lot to learn, so I wouldn't bank on him lighting the league on fire this year. Assuming he will probably be at most average his rookie year is probably fairly safe.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

I think he could end up pretty good, true. But we do know that he is a rookie with a lot to learn, so I wouldn't bank on him lighting the league on fire this year. Assuming he will probably be at most average his rookie year is probably fairly safe.

point taken

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

TubeStank posted:

You are aware that there are more things to a football team than just a QB right? The Bills have a great defense and didn't need to score much to beat Detroit or Green Bay or pretty much every team that they beat. The Jets defense got better as well. The Dolphins added Suh. It ain't gonna be the cakewalk to 12 - 4 that you seem to believe it is.

What?

I'm not saying they're bad teams and I'm certainly not saying that 12 wins is a cakewalk this year (an over/under of 10.5 actually seems right to me, meaning we're about equally likely to get 11 or more as 10 or less).

I'm saying that a stud CB isn't the critical piece to beating EJ Manuel or Geno Smith. Like, maybe the important thing to do against the Bills and Jets is have a stout front 7 (which we did bolster in the draft, as much as I hated to see Wilfork go). We are as probable as anyone to top the AFC East this year despite the bad secondary because of the nature of the teams we're playing.

Paying for CBs doesn't provide as much utility to us as it does to teams playing lots of good QBs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mariota won't survive.

Whisenhunt is gonna have him stand there taking kill shots all game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Philip Rivers is going to go to the AFC CG this year and lose to the Ravens.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wait so your rebuttal was tannehill being above average for the first three yards then average after that (I'm ignoring just how retarded that advanced statistic is) and you then conclude he's below average overall.

Rofl indeed

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Mariota won't survive.

Whisenhunt is gonna have him stand there taking kill shots all game.

of the things you can blame whiz for, the qb taking kill shots is not one of them

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Metapod posted:

of the things you can blame whiz for, the qb taking kill shots is not one of them

Yeah that was our bad, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

TubeStank posted:

You are aware that there are more things to a football team than just a QB right?

lol

• Locked thread