Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
what's the difference between ice cream and gelato?
what's the difference between ham and prosciutto?
what's the difference between baloney and mortadella?
what's the difference between antipasto and pickles?

help me here americans, aren't they just different words for the same thing, why not say "italian ham" rather than contort your delicate anglo-saxon features around a tongue-twister like "prosciutto"? I bet you make a point of calling pata negra "jamon" too. I can excuse calling russian astronauts "cosmonauts" because it's a much cooler word but I draw the line at "taikonauts", wtf seriously

by the way, what's the "correct", non-"pretentious" way to pronounce "prosciutto", because I remember some tv chef being raked over the coals for pronouncing it correctly so now I wonder

I remember the time I ordered fettuccine alfredo in the usa and had to point out the item in the menu because the right pronunciation was completely unintelligible to the waiter, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
op stop reading jezebel, problem solved

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
also I made fettuccine alfredo and it was a good dish, hope that helps

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only real difference is one way sounds fancier (meaning they can charge more money) - a "ham pizza" doesn't really sound that great, but a prosciutto pizza sounds foreign and exotic even if it's the exact same thing. They are supposed to sound pretentious to Americans, because pretentious = expensive.

Also I never would have thought "prosciutto" as a difficult to pronounce word. The only way I've heard it was like "pra-shoe-toe" - although the only place I've heard it regularly was on Gordon Ramsay shows.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
use google you lazy mouth breathing retard

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

The only real difference is one way sounds fancier (meaning they can charge more money) - a "ham pizza" doesn't really sound that great, but a prosciutto pizza sounds foreign and exotic even if it's the exact same thing. They are supposed to sound pretentious to Americans, because pretentious = expensive.

Also I never would have thought "prosciutto" as a difficult to pronounce word. The only way I've heard it was like "pra-shoe-toe" - although the only place I've heard it regularly was on Gordon Ramsay shows.

wrong idiot, they taste different

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

limaCAT posted:

also I made fettuccine alfredo and it was a good dish, hope that helps

:agreed: but the place where I had them (blue lemon in salt lake city) had a kitchen-sink recipe where they put all sorts of random poo poo in it, like mushrooms, dried tomato, balsamic vinegar, and it felt even more of a "italy theme park" dish than usual

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

dad gay. so what posted:

wrong idiot, they taste different

Maybe in some cases, but since moving to switzerland the same things that back home were called "ham" are just called "prosciutto" here. There are lots of different varieties but in the end it's all ham.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

ice cream vs gelato puzzles me the most

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Maybe in some cases, but since moving to switzerland the same things that back home were called "ham" are just called "prosciutto" here. There are lots of different varieties but in the end it's all ham.

look how dumb you are

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

ice cream vs gelato puzzles me the most

whatnis the puzzle, have you checked out that google site i was talking about?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hackbunny posted:

:agreed: but the place where I had them (blue lemon in salt lake city) had a kitchen-sink recipe where they put all sorts of random poo poo in it, like mushrooms, dried tomato, balsamic vinegar, and it felt even more of a "italy theme park" dish than usual

Tell me it came with dwarves with the Berlusconi mask.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
god there are some dumb fucks in this thread.

here, I used GIS just like you could have. this is what sliced ham looks like:

this is what sliced proscuitto looks like:

they don't taste the same. they don't really even look the same. gelato and ice cream are similar but the proportions of ingredients are different (milk, cream, eggs)

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Congrats on being uncultured and proud of your ignorance

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Antipasto is more than just pickles. It varies depending on the region, but it often has stuff like various cured meats (proscuitto, salumi, etc.), cheeses, anchovies, and vegetables in addition to pickles. Antipasto is the name of the traditional first course in a formal Italian meal, not the name of a food.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

gelato is more expensive so you know i really like you just kiss it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
pruh-shoot-o

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
lol, look at all these mongrels who know so little about the world. Your ignorance is upsetting and disturbing

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

thathonkey posted:

god there are some dumb fucks in this thread.

here, I used GIS just like you could have. this is what sliced ham looks like:

this is what sliced proscuitto looks like:

they don't taste the same. they don't really even look the same. gelato and ice cream are similar but the proportions of ingredients are different (milk, cream, eggs)

can you do this gis thing for a dwarf with the berlusconi face it's for my school research thansk

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
prosciutto not only generally comes from a different part of the pig than regular ham (hind leg rather than belly), it is also cured and eaten raw whereas Ham is usually boiled and cooked before eating.

It is similar to saying what is the difference between a sirloin steak and a joint of brisket. (both are beef in case you are confused.)

hth

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Dravs posted:

prosciutto not only generally comes from a different part of the pig than regular ham (hind leg rather than belly), it is also cured and eaten raw whereas Ham is usually boiled and cooked before eating.

It is similar to saying what is the difference between a sirloin steak and a joint of brisket. (both are beef in case you are confused.)

hth

no they're both made from hind legs. bacon is made from belly.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

limaCAT posted:

can you do this gis thing for a dwarf with the berlusconi face it's for my school research thansk

no and i hope you fail out of school because of it

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izdAFagurWo

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

no they're both made from hind legs. bacon is made from belly.

you're right I was thinking of Pancetta which comes from the belly.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

they say no part of pork gets wasted. this photo proves otherwise

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Dravs posted:

prosciutto comes in pre-cooked form too (I prefer it and I'll probably lose my citizenship for this)

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
That'sa onea spicya meataballa.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Antipasto is more than just pickles. It varies depending on the region, but it often has stuff like various cured meats (proscuitto, salumi, etc.), cheeses, anchovies, and vegetables in addition to pickles. Antipasto is the name of the traditional first course in a formal Italian meal, not the name of a food.

"antipasto" literally means "appetizers". what you're describing is some frankenstein monster of several italian appetizers, mainly tagliere di salumi and tagliere di formaggi - lit. "cured meats/cheeses cutting board", because it's traditionally served on a wooden cutting board (cheap places will just slap them on a plate). there are several styles of pickle appetizers too, like giardiniera, cipolle borettane grigliate sott'olio, antipasto pugliese, antipasto abruzzese... source: born raised and living in italy

it's like how every italian pizza place has an "american" pizza with a french fries topping, a little embarrassing for everyone involved

though I'm surprised at americano crossing the atlantic and becoming actually popular in america (well, more than it is in italy), considering it's at the same time a bastardization of both espresso and american coffee

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

hackbunny posted:

prosciutto comes in pre-cooked form too (I prefer it and I'll probably lose my citizenship for this)

You are a crudo man? Me too and I thought that this was the Italian way. I have only been here for 18 months, so what do I know.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hackbunny posted:

the ministry of the interior told me to rip your id card next time we'll meet, you filthy atheist

WaryWarren posted:

You are a crudo man? Me too and I thought that this was the Italian way. I have only been here for 18 months, so what do I know.

no, he meant cotto

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

hackbunny posted:

That's pretty ridiculous. Fettuccine Alfredo is just pasta, butter, and cheese. Adding cream to make it a sauce is stretching the definition but adding all that stuff makes it something totally different.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
proc-shut-the-gently caress-up-o.P

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

hackbunny posted:

though I'm surprised at americano crossing the atlantic and becoming actually popular in america (well, more than it is in italy), considering it's at the same time a bastardization of both espresso and american coffee

Americanos are really good, though. Really it's the best of both worlds.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

proc-shut-the-gently caress-up-o.P

good attempt but it's too long and sounds really bad, I can't yell it at op

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
the real idea about coffee espresso was that italian water used to give you disentery, so we used little water

if you drink expresso from your coffee maker that's ok, but if you need to drink coffee from bars and coffee distributors you are drinking piss, and I hope starbucks lands and makes all the bars go extinct

plus we would make many people who avoided paying taxes and voted berlusconi go bankrupt, so that's a plus

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

hackbunny posted:

what's the difference between ice cream and gelato?
what's the difference between ham and prosciutto?
what's the difference between baloney and mortadella?
what's the difference between antipasto and pickles?

help me here americans, aren't they just different words for the same thing, why not say "italian ham" rather than contort your delicate anglo-saxon features around a tongue-twister like "prosciutto"? I bet you make a point of calling pata negra "jamon" too. I can excuse calling russian astronauts "cosmonauts" because it's a much cooler word but I draw the line at "taikonauts", wtf seriously

by the way, what's the "correct", non-"pretentious" way to pronounce "prosciutto", because I remember some tv chef being raked over the coals for pronouncing it correctly so now I wonder

I remember the time I ordered fettuccine alfredo in the usa and had to point out the item in the menu because the right pronunciation was completely unintelligible to the waiter, lol

come to New Jersey op you would literally feel right at home.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

cotto. I'm basically a child

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

come to New Jersey op you would literally feel right at home.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
The food at Blue Lemon is like someone saw pictures of bistro food once and decided to take a crack at it. And of course it will keep spreading because it's from Utah and Mormons flock to everything mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i wish the OP was dead :(

• Locked thread