Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Are any of the other top 6 teams in strong need of anything that would only be available at 3? I would love for the Sixers to be able to trade down and still get one of the top guys this draft (Mudiay, Russell, Winslow, Hezonja) plus more assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pylb posted:

So now both bigs will tank their interviews with Minnesota in the hopes of heading to LA, right?

You lose 2 million bucks over the course of your rookie contract going from 1 to 2

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Provided that Magic go for shooting this year, it sounds like the Kings will have their pick of Winslow or WCS. That's not the worst choice to have

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

You lose 2 million bucks over the course of your rookie contract going from 1 to 2

~~~~~endorsements~~~~~

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I expect the Nuggets to be the eye of the storm during this draft night. I can totally see the Sixers swapping picks with them for their 2016 Knicks swap pick and aiming to take a player out of Hezonja, Winslow or Porzingis with the 7th pick while the Nuggets get Russell or Mudiay to replace Ty Lawson who they will then shop around creating some more mayhem along the draft.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

pylb posted:

So now both bigs will tank their interviews with Minnesota in the hopes of heading to LA, right?
Just like how Ricky Rubio was going to force a trade to the Lakers or the Knicks after being drafted.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

Just like how Ricky Rubio was going to force a trade to the Lakers or the Knicks after being drafted.

You are crazy if you think Rubio is ever going to play for the Timberwolves. And the Wolves have no leverage with Love, they need to take the deal for David Lee and a 2nd rounder and be happy they got anything for Love.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

pylb posted:

That will be the dumb narrative put forward by the Colin Cowherd's of the world. There certainly is a lot of marketing potential in LA, but there's also marketing potential with being the number one pick. The Wolves are also loaded with young talent and at least from the outside looking in, the Lakers are a lot further behind in their rebuilding process, though they can eventually augment that process with FAs, but not until Bryant's $25 million contract comes off of the books.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Aniki posted:

That will be the dumb narrative put forward by the Colin Cowherd's of the world. There certainly is a lot of marketing potential in LA, but there's also marketing potential with being the number one pick. The Wolves are also loaded with young talent and at least from the outside looking in, the Lakers are a lot further behind in their rebuilding process, though they can eventually augment that process with FAs, but not until Bryant's $25 million contract comes off of the books.

Someone on reddit said going to LA is huge for your marketability and cited Nick Young dating Iggy Azaela as his evidence. Pretty sure he was arguing this unironically

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone said earlier or in the other thread, it's been a while since anyone's really tried a power play in the draft, it's all just agent bluster.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Rick posted:

As someone said earlier or in the other thread, it's been a while since anyone's really tried a power play in the draft, it's all just agent bluster.

Agents will try to push for whatever situation they think is best financially, which in a way is their job, so I pretty much just filter out that chatter. I'm not particularly concerned about it and I think that the Wolves would be willing to call Towns agents' bluff, though they seem to be leaning towards Okafor at the moment anyway.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Aniki posted:

They also have to play the Kobe Bryant is still a top 10 player so he takes 30 shots a game in LA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone on reddit said going to LA is huge for your marketability and cited Nick Young dating Iggy Azaela as his evidence. Pretty sure he was arguing this unironically

It's pretty much the case where endorsements matter, but only to the lower-level players, because there are plenty of shady companies that will pay like, Robert Sacre way too much money to endorse something that none of us will ever see, but it's not for top level talent who get high-visibility endorsements anyway.

Same with rookies, where the top guys will get endorsements their first year no matter what, but if you're below that tier MAYBE being a rookie in a big city might get you some of these shady low visibility endorsements that you probably won't get elsewhere. So yeah it's probably not enough to cause a guy to force his way from 1 to 2 because he's getting endorsements anyway.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WhyteRyce posted:

If the Lakers draft a prospect, they promise them an Austrialian with a big rear end. Iggy Azaela is unavailable, so they'll have their choice of Magda Szubanski, Rebel Wilson, and David Boon.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

wangvicous posted:

They also have to play the Kobe Bryant is still a top 10 player so he takes 30 shots a game in LA.

Here's some narrative that's a bit more promising for the Lakers with accompanying stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01/gamelog/2015/

Kobe Bryant was playing like a destructive fiend for the first quarter of the season,

22+ FGA per game, trying to carry the team he had no respect for, these guys are a bunch of chumps, there's video of what was it, Kobe yelling "these motherfuckers ain't givin me poo poo"? Was that the quote? He's trying to do everything on his own and it's failing and he gets injured around game 27, and then while he's out he watches his team beat the Warriors by 10 despite going cold for half of the 4th quarter.

Kobe seen his guys do good on their own, reevaluated his ideal role with the team and comes back playing like this (until he's injured again a few games later):

He's playing with the team, he's moving the ball, his FGAs are way down, he's playing some defense and rebounding too. He doesn't seem to hate his own teammates.

If Kobe 2 shows up next year, I think a dude who can do a nightly 14/7/7 and also hit your game-winning shots whenever he pleases will be a fine asset. Just depends on whether Kobe wants to age like Jordan or age like, I don't know, Wade or Pierce.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Towns seems like no-brainer for Minnesota. He can play next to Pekovic or Dieng. Okafor can't. Plus he seems like an ideal candidate for Garnett to mentor.

Okafor will go to LA at 2. The first real decision is who Philly takes.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

WhyteRyce posted:

Swaggy P wasn't truly Swaggy P until he landed in Hollywood. Makes you think.

Been skimming thru full CBA Mudiay games. I'm sold.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boosh! posted:

Swaggy P wasn't truly Swaggy P until he landed in Hollywood. Makes you think.

Been skimming thru full CBA Mudiay games. I'm sold.

do you think he can shoot 35% or better from 3.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Detailed Okafor analysis from the Lakers subreddit:

quote:

Relooking at jahlil okafor and looking at some other players for comparisons I see a Ceiling: Andrew Bynum/Tim Duncan Floor:brook Lopez/al Jefferson

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

euphronius posted:

do you think he can shoot 35% or better from 3.

No, and we already had the experiment with a PG that isn't a good shooter in MCW so i'd be really surprised and kinda pissed if we went that route a second time. If our frontcourt is as good as I think it's going to be there are going to be a lot of opportunity for kick-outs and dudes will need to be able to shoot. I also think that Russell is a better floor distributer than Mudiay, while Mudiay is much more ball dominant but better on the break. This is all conjecture anyway because college and overseas aren't the NBA; Russell shot a pretty phenomenal clip however from the 3 in college and that is promising. Russell/whoeverthefuck/Saric/Noel/Embiid would be a drat sick starting 5 in 2016 and we could just get some MLE type of dude to run the 2 in the meantime.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 20, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought it was the worst-kept secret that Philly is taking Russell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are never really any leaks from the current Sixers FO.

I guess there was a leak that MCW was being shopped last year, but that could have come from anywhere.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

I guess there was a leak that MCW was being shopped last year, but that could have come from anywhere.

Probably came from the 29 other GMs that they called

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Siguy posted:

Detailed Okafor analysis from the Lakers subreddit:

Wouldn't a permanently injured and bad attitude player be a floor, not a ceiling?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Are you guys high on Winslow? I'm kind of hoping the Sixers swerve people and take him at 3rd (or trade down and get him at 5/6). If he turns out to be another Kawhi Leonard, that'd be an awesome addition to the team.

I'm just not sold on Russell or Mudiay, and it's a bit disheartening that they're pretty much opposites in strengths and weaknesses.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Here's some narrative that's a bit more promising for the Lakers with accompanying stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01/gamelog/2015/

Kobe Bryant was playing like a destructive fiend for the first quarter of the season,

22+ FGA per game, trying to carry the team he had no respect for, these guys are a bunch of chumps, there's video of what was it, Kobe yelling "these motherfuckers ain't givin me poo poo"? Was that the quote? He's trying to do everything on his own and it's failing and he gets injured around game 27, and then while he's out he watches his team beat the Warriors by 10 despite going cold for half of the 4th quarter.

Kobe seen his guys do good on their own, reevaluated his ideal role with the team and comes back playing like this (until he's injured again a few games later):

He's playing with the team, he's moving the ball, his FGAs are way down, he's playing some defense and rebounding too. He doesn't seem to hate his own teammates.

If Kobe 2 shows up next year, I think a dude who can do a nightly 14/7/7 and also hit your game-winning shots whenever he pleases will be a fine asset. Just depends on whether Kobe wants to age like Jordan or age like, I don't know, Wade or Pierce.

It's tough because there were times after he switched to Kobe 2 that they needed Kobe 1 more but I guess it's hard to turn that sort of thing off and on during a single game.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The debate between Mudiay and Russell, to me, is the most interesting one of the draft. Probably because I'm a Sixers fan.

Russell has, to me, some tools that just don't come around every year in the draft. While Mudiay has gotten by against lesser talent by being the best athlete on the floor, Russell has done it by reading defenses and having vision that is as good as I can remember (seriously...who has had vision like his in the past few draft classes? I can't think of anybody but maybe I'm missing someone). I really think he's just starting to come into his own as a player and his ceiling is way higher than what most people seem to think it is.

Mudiay is a freak athlete and a much better defender but he can't loving shoot. The fact that he's a point guard shooting just 57% from the line is atrocious. The Sixers currently don't have a single player on the roster that you can really point at as an outside threat. D'Angelo Russell, in my opinion, is not just a superior prospect to Mudiay, but also a much better fit for what the Sixers want to do. Having a guy like Nerlens, a 5 with good range like Embiid, and then a shooter like Russell would be an amazing start to build this team as far as spacing on offense goes. He's also excellent at driving and dishing for when the Sixers can eventually put a few more shooters on the floor with their plethora of draft picks.

Don't get me wrong, there are some positives to drafting Mudiay. As I just mentioned with Russell, Mudiay is great at driving and kicking and also a great finisher himself. He could be lethal if surrounded by some shooters. But his jump shot is a *major* concern. That sounds like a small thing, and it's probably the only part of his game that I can knock, but it's basketball and it's shooting. It's an important part of the game. The fact that he shot just 57% from the line is alarming, and just by visiting youtube and looking at some scouting breakdowns of him you can see his jumper needs to be almost completely torn down and built back up.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

iamsosmrt posted:

Are you guys high on Winslow? I'm kind of hoping the Sixers swerve people and take him at 3rd (or trade down and get him at 5/6). If he turns out to be another Kawhi Leonard, that'd be an awesome addition to the team.

I'm just not sold on Russell or Mudiay, and it's a bit disheartening that they're pretty much opposites in strengths and weaknesses.

Russell seems a lot better fit for the Sixers, honestly. Better 3-pointer, better assist, and a better season overall, while it seems to me that most of the bulk of Winslow's hype has come from the tourney. Not that Winslow was bad during the season, but I think Russell has more flash and works better to fill Philly's deficiencies. But Winslow doesn't have Leonard's stroke, so no, he won't be the next Kawhi.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Probably Magic posted:

Russell seems a lot better fit for the Sixers, honestly. Better 3-pointer, better assist, and a better season overall, while it seems to me that most of the bulk of Winslow's hype has come from the tourney. Not that Winslow was bad during the season, but I think Russell has more flash and works better to fill Philly's deficiencies. But Winslow doesn't have Leonard's stroke, so no, he won't be the next Kawhi.

Agreed that Russell is the far better fit, but Leonard didn't have Leonard's stroke coming out either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Wouldn't a permanently injured and bad attitude player be a floor, not a ceiling?
Well he played well for a bit, and I'd guess mainly (entirely?) cause they got rings while he was there (and y'know, that Gasol guy), but that's all I can come up with.

Rick posted:

It's tough because there were times after he switched to Kobe 2 that they needed Kobe 1 more but I guess it's hard to turn that sort of thing off and on during a single game.
Kobe 1 works if he can play like Kobe of a few years ago, but even in stretches I'd say it's generally detrimental at this point. Particularly in the worst instances you ended up with Kobe playing poorly and everyone else deferring everything to him, leading to their own issues (so Kobe 2 doesn't work as well), just kind of leading to a cycle where no one could get going.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Jota posted:

Agreed that Russell is the far better fit, but Leonard didn't have Leonard's stroke coming out either.

Oh yeah, definitely, but that's also the Spurs staff, versus the Sixers staff. I'd go for the surest thing possible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

Oh yeah, definitely, but that's also the Spurs staff, versus the Sixers staff. I'd go for the surest thing possible.

The sixers staff is the Spurs staff.

If they think they can fix Mudiays shot I think they take him. Also Covington and Hollis are outside threats and the team played much better when they came online.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/dangelorussell1152.jpg

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Hinkie doesn't leak anything; it's a large part of the reason that several local media members don't like him.

edit:

That's muy sexy.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 20, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Hinkie doesn't leak anything; it's a large part of the reason that several local media members don't like him.

I remember the media being miffed or whatever over Kevin McHale never giving them scoops so when David Kahn came in he had to go the complete 180 route and blather openly about players and contracts and saying junk like 'mana from heaven'

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

Russell has, to me, some tools that just don't come around every year in the draft. While Mudiay has gotten by against lesser talent by being the best athlete on the floor, Russell has done it by reading defenses and having vision that is as good as I can remember (seriously...who has had vision like his in the past few draft classes? I can't think of anybody but maybe I'm missing someone).

the last pg to come out with amazing vision is probably rubio

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

the last pg to come out with amazing vision is probably rubio

Also, that old, unathletic dude out of UNC. Can't remember his name. He got hurt after he was traded to the Lakers, who are paying for his rehab iirc. Kendall Marshall, I think?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Elfrid Payton is a really good passing/vision dude

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iamsosmrt posted:

Him being kinda short took some of the shine off for me. He's like 6'5" and most of his best minutes were as a small ball 4. I don't trust his 3 point shot either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember the media being miffed or whatever over Kevin McHale never giving them scoops so when David Kahn came in he had to go the complete 180 route and blather openly about players and contracts and saying junk like 'mana from heaven'

The GM of Common Sense would have never allowed that and he also would have prevented the last lockout.

• Locked thread