Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

wasn't fleshed out at all

Well, yes, he's a ghoul... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Volkerball posted:

He had a few things you could talk to him about, but it wasn't fleshed out at all. Don't think 3 had anything like companion quests either. Now that super mutant you work with to get the G.E.C.K., that guy was just all around awesome.

Fawkes is my favorite companion in either game. I wish I could have kept him in at least some of the DLC packs. He would have been perfect for Point Lookout.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Charon's kind of a sad sack cuz they could have easily made a plot where he's actually the stalwart ghoul man-servant Argyle. Then you could show him to the old guy in the tower and they have a reunion or something. But no, that straight up can't happen. it would've been atleast on the level of the weakest NV companions if they had.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Fawkes was amazing, and if you send him into the control room his response to the control panel was amazing.

Brainamp posted:

I think it took a whole expansion for Fallout 3 to have any post-game content, and a separate patch before any of your companions, some of whom were immune to radiation, would enter the chamber at the end.

Broken Steel added both post-end gameplay and let you send in Fawkes or one of the other immune to radiation companions. It just guild tripped you the entire time for sending in somebody who benefits from radiation instead of sacrificing yourself for ~reasons~. I'm pretty sure it goes as far as using the word coward, but it's been a long time since I've played the end of F3.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm trying to play Fallout 1 properly for the first time now, having only beaten 3 and New Vegas.
I've just started and it seems cool, I remember my first attempt being too confused by the interface and control scheme but I think I've got it down now. Haven't encountered much amazing dialogue, a lot of it's pretty expository, which I guess makes sense, it's worldbuilding at least. It's funny how pretty much the first guy you see says "yep, we grow food here." Some real Shandification going on.

sout fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 20, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

sout posted:

the first guy you see

That's not the first guy you see. :colbert:

Ed's dead baby. Ed's dead.

That's really one of the subtlest things I can think of off the top of my head, it's just one container and does so much. You're not the first to leave the Vault, the world is a dangerous place, here's some supplies (based on what you tagged), and an introduction to Fallout's humour.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Serperoth posted:

That's not the first guy you see. :colbert:

Ed's dead baby. Ed's dead.

That's really one of the subtlest things I can think of off the top of my head, it's just one container and does so much. You're not the first to leave the Vault, the world is a dangerous place, here's some supplies (based on what you tagged), and an introduction to Fallout's humour.

Haha, fair point. By the way, is the whole game on this time limit or just the first mission? Because I can see myself definitely running out of time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

sout posted:

Haha, fair point. By the way, is the whole game on this time limit or just the first mission? Because I can see myself definitely running out of time.

I think they removed the timer in one patch, but I'm not sure. Maybe they just extended it ridiculously (2 years?), but basically the timer is only for "get the water chip to V13", if that's a concern.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The timer for the second part of the game depends on how you finish the first mission. They also did extend the timers in a patch.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Doodles posted:

Fawkes is my favorite companion in either game.

Someone's got a wrong opinion over here. :colbert:

"Thumbs down, you son of a bitch". :black101:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

No, no. It's Lily. That moment when you bring her along for the first time, and then go into sneak mode some time later. You just aren't prepared for it.

"DON'T WORRY SWEETIE, GRANDMA KNOWS HOW TO BE SNEAKY." :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

sout posted:

Only the first mission is on a timer, so don't worry. You'll never run out of time unless you're just aimlessly wandering around on the overworld map.

Fallout is a great game, but it's a lot smaller than its successors and there aren't that many important NPCs to talk to. There are still some excellent conversations however. Just wait until you get to meet Lou. :allears:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Malpais Legate posted:

No, no. It's Lily. That moment when you bring her along for the first time, and then go into sneak mode some time later. You just aren't prepared for it.

"DON'T WORRY SWEETIE, GRANDMA KNOWS HOW TO BE SNEAKY." :v:

Her perk is also really good, though a little redundant if you got Old world blues

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Played a little more this morning, man I'm getting killed by EVERYBODY! Khans, some doctor who I couldn't pay, Killian when I tried to fight his assailant.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Everyone Everything in the wasteland wants you dead and you're weak as poo poo in the beginning, I'd probably avoid combat as much as you can in the very start

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
When's the best time to do Lonesome Road?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Can you handle deathclaws? Bring some radiation meds too, it's all sorts of hot in that DLC.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

CobiWann posted:

Taking the advice of someone in this thread, I did a test run to see how well I could handle the deathclaws at Quarry Junction (north of Sloan and north-east or so of Goodsprings) first. Depending on much you've levelled I think the deathclaws in LR are technically more dangerous, but I don't think they're ever as concentrated as they are in the quarry/Dead Wind Cavern/that place over the river.

The above poster is right too, Rad-X and RadAway would be handy. Funny, I find radiation hazards to be much more common in Fallout 3 but when they do show up in NV it's almost always good to have some Rad-X on hand, because that stuff can be persistent and punishing. Flamer fuel might be useful for the flare gun too, though I think you can pick up more than enough in LR itself (it's not a good weapon but it can scare off some of the enemies there, including deathclaws). This is all assuming that you're new to it obviously, I would have thought the "best time" would be when you've finished all the other DLCs.

I played on Normal and didn't find it that tricky. I probably died more frequently to the bomb collar in Dead Money if I'm honest.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 21, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If you care about the story, do it after the other DLCs, that should leave you at a high level too.
Keep in mind that you can freely wander in and out of the Divide after starting it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I would have thought the "best time" would be when you've finished all the other DLCs.

Ah right, forgot about the chronological order. If you care about the storyline for DLCs, it's Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Old World Blues > Lonesome Road. Honest Hearts is relatively self-contained and independent of other DLC, albeit you can find a couple of plot hooks originating from other areas.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

sout posted:

I'm trying to play Fallout 1 properly for the first time now, having only beaten 3 and New Vegas.
I've just started and it seems cool, I remember my first attempt being too confused by the interface and control scheme but I think I've got it down now. Haven't encountered much amazing dialogue, a lot of it's pretty expository, which I guess makes sense, it's worldbuilding at least. It's funny how pretty much the first guy you see says "yep, we grow food here." Some real Shandification going on.

Sips from the Yogscast is really deep in a playthrough if you want to see how not to start a game, but his run so far has been absolutely hilarious. He went fisticuffs with minimal intelligence and named himself Mike Tyson.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

New Leaf posted:

Sips from the Yogscast is really deep in a playthrough if you want to see how not to start a game, but his run so far has been absolutely hilarious. He went fisticuffs with minimal intelligence and named himself Mike Tyson.

Might give that a look, I've seen some stuff he's in and he seems pretty chill.
Anyway, I'm not stuck or anything, just having fun with it at the moment.
I also have 2 and Tactics, I've heard a decent amount of good stuff about the former, but is Tactics worth playing?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

sout posted:

Might give that a look, I've seen some stuff he's in and he seems pretty chill.
Anyway, I'm not stuck or anything, just having fun with it at the moment.
I also have 2 and Tactics, I've heard a decent amount of good stuff about the former, but is Tactics worth playing?

It's painful at first, but once he discovers Mentats, he does alright.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Best time to do lonesome road is before you meet Mr.House for the first time. If you have met him then it doesent really matter beyond whats already been said.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

sout posted:

is Tactics worth playing?

Back when I played it from the disc years and years ago, the game was very unstable and quest scripts could break easily particularly the end game. It's also not-canon with the rest of the Fallout series, however it introduces vehicles, has a huge variety of guns and ammo, and a Brotherhood of Steel faction not completely insular and xenophobic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Iretep posted:

Best time to do lonesome road is before you meet Mr.House for the first time. If you have met him then it doesent really matter beyond whats already been said.

I've never heard this recommendation before. Why before meeting House?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CobiWann posted:

It can actually be very useful to do the early bits of LR as soon as you can get in there if you plan to use ED-E as a companion. Just getting the first upgrade circuit will give you a free daily 25% repair of your equipped weapon. You can also get a +10 speech armor, a Dean's Electronics, some Arc Welders to use against robots if you have high EW or to sell for decent cash, and other useful loot.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I've never heard this recommendation before. Why before meeting House?

House resets legion and NCR infamy. In lonesome road nuking both of them causes them to hate you. You need to nuke both to get access to their items. This way you get the neat ending if you have wild wasteland trait and access to their areas at no negative cost.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If you're willing to up-end the entire game like that you probably don't care too much about faction rep and doing it all for a joke ending and some late game items you'll never actually use is not something anyone would care about on their very first playthrough. But you're actually mistaken: Your NCR rep doesn't reset when that guy talks to you on House's doorstep, it's when you talk to Crocker the first time. I think you still have to do it before you fail Don't Tread on the Bear but other than that, go hog wild.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

But you're actually mistaken: Your NCR rep doesn't reset when that guy talks to you on House's doorstep, it's when you talk to Crocker the first time. I think you still have to do it before you fail Don't Tread on the Bear but other than that, go hog wild.

I thought the 'reset' was the item that he gave you, the Note, like the Mark of Caesar?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'd really like to see reputation get changed in the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls game. Real life law enforcement personnel wouldn't necessarily know a fugitive on sight, how is it that everybody in the Legion or NCR knows I'm an enemy?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

New Leaf posted:

I'd really like to see reputation get changed in the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls game. Real life law enforcement personnel wouldn't necessarily know a fugitive on sight, how is it that everybody in the Legion or NCR knows I'm an enemy?

Erm, they have vast networks of spies!! :v:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Hey, I know that guy in full body/face obscuring power armor, he's kill on sight. He's totally different from this other guy in full body/face obscuring power armor, who is my best friend.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Serperoth posted:

I thought the 'reset' was the item that he gave you, the Note, like the Mark of Caesar?

I thought so too, but I ended up stumbling into that when I did a few quests that piss off the NCR (killing those mercenaries that are harassing Jacobstown, saving Pacer from that NCR attack instead of resolving it peacefully) and then talking to Crocker anyway to get a total faction reset. Pretty handy if you wanna go the House route (the best route) and still save the president.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ulvirich posted:

Ah right, forgot about the chronological order. If you care about the storyline for DLCs, it's Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Old World Blues > Lonesome Road. Honest Hearts is relatively self-contained and independent of other DLC, albeit you can find a couple of plot hooks originating from other areas.

Yeah, I just did them in chronological order on my last playthrough. I went with an unarmed/melee build purely because of what a pain in the rear end dead money was on my all energy weapons dude.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Honest Hearts feel better at a lower level. It just makes more sense for a player character to do it then as it has a more "low level feel" to it. Go out with a caravan to make money sorta thing.

I like to do Honest Hearts -> Dead Money -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Any "must have" mods you guys can recommend for someone coming back? Not really looking for content, more performance and visuals.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Leinadi posted:

I think Honest Hearts feel better at a lower level. It just makes more sense for a player character to do it then as it has a more "low level feel" to it. Go out with a caravan to make money sorta thing.

I like to do Honest Hearts -> Dead Money -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road.

I generally do OWB before DM cause there's some retroactive hints to it, there's a more consistent escalation of threat, and DM has foreshadowing directly into LR.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Main problem doing OWD before DM is you have no idea who all the notes you find in the overworld is talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

New Leaf posted:

Any "must have" mods you guys can recommend for someone coming back? Not really looking for content, more performance and visuals.

I liked these. Warning: nexus links

weather effects:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35998/

terrain retexturing:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43135/

weapon effects updates:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42666/