Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

Man, Five Nights at Freddy's has to be like catnip to Gonterman.

He seems to want to do it with the animatronics as protagonists, because of course he does.

The Gonts introduces an example of his PBP posted:

I hope to keep things to just under 3K words when I really get good and going. I start with some articles from the local paper, add a tie in with other stories in the Realms (In this case the Legends of Baldur's Gate comic book and my own Baldur's Gate character, and just for $#!%s and Giggles, Hatsune Miku in a midevial outfit.

An excerpt posted:

“Yeah, too bad I missed all the fun.” The blue twin-tailed girl smiled. But her voice, as youthful as it can be, carried a psionic tone to it, which showed the wisdom and intelligence of someone who lived millennia. You didn’t hear that tone, but you felt it in your head. Almost as if the girl could look at the Florence and Coran—or anyone she’d talk to—and know every little detail about them, even the parts they themselves forgotten.

Ghaele can really do that.

Natasha doesn’t usually do it on purpose. But what just jumps from their brains to hers can be annoying, like Minsc’s ability to get a thought through his brain edgewise after all the concussions (sixty five at latest count) he had. Or the seventeen girlfriends Coran had before settling in with the Grand Inquisitor, which Natasha doubts Florence even knows about.

“It’s why I don’t usually hang out in public,” Natasha admits. “I try to cover my inner light so that it won’t enrapture everyone five miles—especially when I don’t want it to—but even with my control it sometimes slips out.”

(....)

“Very well, my dear, until then,” Coran said, taking Natasha’s hand and kissing it. He noted that the hand feels like it’s wearing a glove, even though it looks like a fine feminine hand with skin and fingernails, but he let it slide. “Maybe you can change into something more…feylike then.”

Natasha had to chuckle, especially when Florence was punching Coran’s shoulder. “I have a lot of masks in my collection, though you’ll know it’s me when I arrive in the scene.”

“Just like that bird on your head?” Florence said as she dragged Coran from his latest attempt of being a Don Juan.

That’s another problem Ghaeles get when they’re trying not to Ghaele: Their nature tends to attract little woodland creatures. Birds chirping around her; rabbits, squirrels, and the occasional fox scampering around her feet, flowers bloom at her presence, being able to brighten a room with just her smile; magical princess stuff that any girl in Faerun would sell their souls to have.

But when it happens when you don’t want it happening, it does get annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

The Real Foogla posted:

Kid also assumes black dragons are not automatically evil. :unsmith:

Night10194 posted:

Man, who doesn't dream of having a kickass dragon buddy? And if the dragon's sentient, why wouldn't the spell or whatever find a dragon who actually wanted to hang around people and make friends and go on adventures?

Bushmeister posted:

That's not what the rules say, you goddamn magical tea partier :reject:

Also man I feel sorry for that 12-year old who probably just wanted to play D&D with his big brother :(

paradoxGentleman posted:

If they really do take turno GMing, we can only hope that the rest of the group realizes that punishing a 12 years old because he wanted a pet dragon is stupid and assholish and calls him out for it.

Sage Genesis posted:

Jesus H Christ... :stare:

You know, I can't understand some of this poo poo. It's usually the same people who on the one hand tell you to stop rollplaying and D&D is about having an imagination, but as soon anything happens which doesn't toe the line they just flip right the gently caress out. This isn't even about the elf pretend game, it's about being a horrible rear end in a top hat to a 12 year old kid. There's grog and then there's... whatever this is.

Lightning Lord posted:

Some jerks of all ages and using all systems live in terrible fear of the special snowflake. They just want to make the dragon eat his character's face to teach him a lesson about knowing his place and making drat sure that his next character is "normal" that is, a Male Human Fighter. I can see an argument about making having a dragon be a goal instead of something you start with, it's a cool adventure hook after all but nope, just got to chop down that tall poppy.

Also note the obsession with "realism" (WHO'S GONNA FEED THE DRAGON?!?!?!?) and the sort of obnoxious fake deconstruction that Order of the Stick deals in and encourages. That thread is definitely a symptom of the place it was posted.

Here, let me twist the knife a bit more:

The reason the guy asked for a dragon? Wasn't so he could have a cool pet. It was because the black dragon was the mechanically strongest choice, that he painted up as wanting a pet.

He took advantage of the 12 year old little brother DM in order to squash the game.

Their solution is to punish the 12 year old little brother DM to teach him to never give the players anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Here, let me twist the knife a bit more:

The reason the guy asked for a dragon? Wasn't so he could have a cool pet. It was because the black dragon was the mechanically strongest choice, that he painted up as wanting a pet.

He took advantage of the 12 year old little brother DM in order to squash the game.

Their solution is to punish the 12 year old little brother DM to teach him to never give the players anything.

Wait, in what situation is a Black Dragon, one of the weaker and smaller Chromatics, the mechanically strongest choice?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

THAC0.

Now there was a rule. Back in my day Armor Class (AC) went in reverse and there was this thing called “To Hit Armor Class Zero (0)”, AKA the famous THAC0 rule.

The lower your THAC0, the better. The lower your Armor Class (AC), the better. They worked together, hand in hand. Not that hard to keep straight, despite what later designers want us to think. The pansies.

It was pretty straightforward. The lower the AC, the harder to hit. Every class had a THAC0 relative to their level. Literally, that number is what you had to roll or better to hit someone with an AC of 0. Lower than zero? Add one to the “to hit” number for each number lower. AC higher than zero? Subtract one from the to hit number for each number higher. Simple, kiddos.

These modern difficuly checks against armor classes that go up when they get better. Hmph. Namby pamby coddling madness for the huddled, lazy masses.

THAC0 and its related calculations was all part of the mystery and sense of belonging of playing Dungeons & Dragons when it was still wild and untamed.

Sort of a rite of passage, being willing to learn rules that might or might not make sense. Poring over the books and figuring it all out. Knowing you would need to refer to a table. Looking up tables was fun. It was something you knew that the muggles didn’t know. ‘Course, we didn’t call them muggles then. They were just the folks that weren’t us.

Everything didn’t have to make sense. For years a wizard (sorry, “magic-user”…. wizard was a title at 9th level for a m/u) simply could not use a sword unless he multiclassed in AD&D… and in basic (non “Advanced”) Dungeons & Dragons, a wiza– magic-user — wasn’t going to use a sword, period. If you wanted to cast spells and use a sword, you chose the class of “Elf”… that’s right, Elf as a class, not a race. And we LIKED it. Uphill both ways in the snow.

The rules tried to explain it all away with a comment about magic-users not being able to use a sword because they had spent so much time studying magic, but really… it was game balance, trying to keep things fair between classes. And that was OK, we didn’t care. At least I didn’t. It was just how it was. Another part of “the game”, the coolest game.

Those early rules stuck with me and became ingrained into how I perceive D&D and the world around it. I remember reading a book several years ago that was based in a D&D setting and a wizard used a crossbow. Nope! I immediately thought, best thing that wizard can do is use a dart for a ranged weapon. What is the author thinking? How did the editor not catch that? But then I remembered, by that point we were in 3rd Edition and sanity and all things right had gone out the window. THAC0 was gone and the foundations were crumbling.

And saving throws? Oh man, the saving throws. Listen to this litany of esoteric goodness: Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic; Rod, Staff, or Wand; Petrification or Polymorph; Breath Weapon; Spell… Oh, momma.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it “makes more sense” to do saving throws by ability score, but let me ask you… which way sounds more mysterious and interesting? Which way really fires up your imagination the first time you look at a character sheet? No contest for me, young buck.

Skills? Nobody but a thief had them. Proficiencies and feats? What? No need… ima gonna smash you in the face without them with my mace (because I’m a cleric and can’t use edged weapons, period). It all fits together, it’s how this beautiful gaming system works.

It’s just. It’s just… it’s just that there was something more interesting to me about the older versions. The weird rules and stuff that were hard to learn or that weren’t intuitive was part of the charm, part of the fun.

Ya had ta earn it.

Newer editions have definitely refined and improved the game and become more accessible, and unlocked some of the boxes characters used to be locked in… but at the same time we have traded off something else. A class of esoteric knowledge that only the fellow geeks (the initiated) knew, that helped us identify with each other.

In the 70s and 80s and heck even early 90s there was none of the “geek chic” that exists now, we caught all kinds of hell for being nerds and the murky, somewhat inscrutable world of Dungeons & Dragons and other RPGs was ours. We didn’t care if just anyone could access it in 5 minutes.

Times change. People change. Games change.

But my love of THAC0 and other foundational D&D mysteries never will. If you weren’t there, I wish you coulda been. Spend an extra moment looking up the THAC0 before you roll that next twenty sider… it won’t hurt as much as you think, and you might even like it.

Mpoxsx
Aug 25, 2013
That's some fine, even somewhat self-aware grog, but I disagree with him on almost anyone learning about THAC0 after using ascending ac and preferring the former.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That's some good, fairly innovensive THAC0 grog.

He's probably also conflating the "wonder of discovery" novelty of role-playing games in general with the novelty of their specific mechanics and trappings through the lens of nostalgia. I'm sure "reflex, fortitude, and will" (and "saving throws" in general) are nearly as arcane to the completely uninitiated.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lightning Lord posted:

There seems to be a 7E vs Older Editions slapfight brewing.

quote:

Some sort of bullshit "luck" resource.

You can reroll a roll for "bigger consequences" (story-thinking bullshit there).

The Resistance Table is gone.

"fundamental rules changes"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Bonus: "Zeeee game remains zee same!" ugh.

Bonus2: oh also "connections" that "refresh luck" and "encapsulate the character concept" *weeps*

I could only listen to half before I wanted to vomit.

quote:

That's what we needed, the Forgeite CoC7 to go along with D&D4 and WFRP3.

quote:

Go to Storygames.com and announce The Mountain Witch, Second Edition using Gurps 4th Edition mechanics. If that analogy doesn't help, don't have the time to explain it to you.

quote:

Because sales aren't the point, overwriting the older styles of play with the newer narrative styles is the point.

quote:

Hopefully Chaosium does the smart thing and not label this new thing as CoC 7e. Label it anything else and it'll be fine. Call it the Collect Call of Cthulhu, call it The Cthulhu Diaries, call it anything but CoC 7e.

And why would storygame elements be bad in CoC? Because horror is an already delicate genre. The absolute last thing I want (as Keeper and Player) is "Sharing the Speaking Stick" in any form whatsoever. I don't want some nub cashing in their glass beads during the Keeper's description of a cultist mass with "and you notice under their hoods they're all wearing Knicks caps!!! The HORROR!" or something equally jarring.

"My dilettante, as we explored the catacombs in combat gear, just realized she kept her purse! And it still has all her makeup! She uses her makeup compact's mirror to successfully temporary blind the chasing Ghoul as we flee!" *groan*

quote:

Also, as OHT already pointed out, it takes a specially hilarious kind of Stupid, that Chaosium has been proven to have, to jump on the bandwagon of a movement years after it was proven a failure in really spectacular ways. What can we expect from them next? Cthulhu Dragon Dice?

quote:

Ditto. What they're actually doing with this seventh edition, regardless of its individual merits, or lack thereof, is destroying the legacy of one of the true Classic role playing games of our era, one of the few that survived unaltered for more than thirty years, which isn't a bug, but a feature. This is what should have happened to OAD&D. This is what should have happened to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and a few other games besides.

The irony is that thanks to the OGL and retroclones, games like OAD&D are reaching the status of Classics by indirect routes (what with the republication of First Ed and the sucking up to the OSR WotC is engaging in right now for Next), while others have proven their enduring appeal to the masses quite clearly as well (like Vampire the Masquerade and its 20th anniversary edition which, by all accounts, was well received by the fandom).

Call of Cthulhu was in a position to be part of a select club of Classic role playing games. Hell, it was the King of Classics precisely because it had been kept in print unaltered all this time, unlike the others.

And now? Chaosium just decided that CoC really ought to be just another role playing game, after all.

Whether the fans will take the torch via the OGL, inspired by clones like OpenQuest, remains to be seen. I think they will, sooner or later. You don't kill a marvel of a game design like the original CoC. You just don't. AD&D proved it. Vampire proved it. Traveller proved it. Warhammer (or Zweihänder, rather) is hopefully about to prove it. And CoC will prove it as well.
And, in short:

quote:

Nice job breaking it, Chaosium fuckwads. It wasn't broken. IT DID NOT NEED FIXING.

quote:

Well. Thanks for changing the game, assholes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Lol, what are the source for these? Most people I know playing the game are already using a improvisation heavy storygames approach to it, since it is such a pain to run any other way (prep heavy/full of game stalling because of failed rolls/the party not knowing what to do).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think unironically missing the resistance table is actually purer grog than unironically missing thac0 by like, a huge margin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand why BRP is so beloved by its cult audience. (I mean, I know that's the nature of a cult audience, but...) I'm sure BRP was a breath of fresh air when it was a relatively simple, intuitive alternative to AD&D, which was a hash of various wargaming rules. But there are other systems that are even simpler and more intuitive; it's just one of several percentile systems out there. I have nothing bad to say about it, much as I have nothing bad to say about plain oatmeal and blank printer paper.

Biomute posted:

Lol, what are the source for these? Most people I know playing the game are already using a improvisation heavy storygames approach to it, since it is such a pain to run any other way (prep heavy/full of game stalling because of failed rolls/the party not knowing what to do).
RPGsite. I expected the "everything is poo poo now because a change happened!" but I didn't expect the storygames conspiracy theory to rear its ugly head in this case.

The "storygame" mechanics they're making GBS threads their pants over is...the ability to spend Luck to improve die rolls. The Luck stat has been a part of CoC for decades. Oh, and a "push" rule that lets you repeat a failed roll with a risk of critical failure, that prevents you from rolling the same test over and over until you succeed.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 20, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The ironic thing is that now your luck is a finite, depleting resource like sanity.

Well, an ironic thing. The other one is getting mad about "story game" elements appearing in a game literally based on stories.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"The game has systems in place to avoid coming to a screeching halt due to a series of unfortunate dice rolls? STORYGAME"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand why BRP is so beloved by its cult audience. (I mean, I know that's the nature of a cult audience, but...) I'm sure BRP was a breath of fresh air when it was a relatively simple, intuitive alternative to AD&D, which was a hash of various wargaming rules. But there are other systems that are even simpler and more intuitive; it's just one of several percentile systems out there. I have nothing bad to say about it, much as I have nothing bad to say about plain oatmeal and blank printer paper.

RPGsite. I expected the "everything is poo poo now because a change happened!" but I didn't expect the storygames conspiracy theory to rear its ugly head in this case.

The "storygame" mechanics they're making GBS threads their pants over is...the ability to spend Luck to improve die rolls. The Luck stat has been a part of CoC for decades. Oh, and a "push" rule that lets you repeat a failed roll with a risk of critical failure, that prevents you from rolling the same test over and over until you succeed.

It's probably because it's practically synonymous with CoC at this point and there have been relatively few changes to it. I mean, people probably genuinely expected that 7e CoC would literally be a reprint of 6e with better art given the trend of changes made to it over the years.

Given that it's got a groggy audience, I can't say that I'm surprised that they're complaining about big Quality of Life improvements that speed play. The Resistance Table is a godawful relic from the 80s and it's nice to know that players are no longer expected to carry around a massive inventory of flashlights, mirrors, and 10 foot poles. The move to "if it makes sense for the character to have it, roll Luck and you have it" is great, in my opinion.

At which point, a more clever person might tell me to play Trail of Cthulhu. In which case, that's going to be one of my pick-ups at Gen Con this year.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Halloween Jack posted:

For most skills in CoC you don't get rerolls at all, that's more of a D&D thing. If you fail to spot the hidden clue, you fail forever. I guess they don't like that you now get a second chance?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Biomute posted:

For most skills in CoC you don't get rerolls at all, that's more of a D&D thing. If you fail to spot the hidden clue, you fail forever. I guess they don't like that you now get a second chance?

This might have something to do with the best-designed Call of Cthulhu-scenarios being designed such that you only roll against skills to determine whether you progress well or progress badly[1]. You always find the clues necessary to progress; the question is whether you find the clues that will make winning/surviving easy, or if you have to desperately stumble around in ignorance, trying to snatch victorysurvival from the jaws of defeat. In such a situation, a secondary roll is in many ways superfluous and somewhat contrary to the intent of allowing a roll in the first place.

[1] And sometimes die horribly, because a core component of CoC-as-played is to emphasize that characters can die, to make sure that nobody ever feels safe, as a component of horror.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LatwPIAT posted:

[1] And sometimes die horribly, because a core component of CoC-as-played is to emphasize that characters can die, to make sure that nobody ever feels safe, as a component of horror.

Oh, the old-school CoC campaigns were often built-up in a way where you were pretty much guaranteed to die. Masks of Nyarlathotep so much so that it recommends players create two or more characters each to have a supply "waiting in the wing".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

LatwPIAT posted:

This might have something to do with the best-designed Call of Cthulhu-scenarios being designed such that you only roll against skills to determine whether you progress well or progress badly[1]. You always find the clues necessary to progress; the question is whether you find the clues that will make winning/surviving easy, or if you have to desperately stumble around in ignorance, trying to snatch victorysurvival from the jaws of defeat. In such a situation, a secondary roll is in many ways superfluous and somewhat contrary to the intent of allowing a roll in the first place.

So... fail forward, then?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So... fail forward, then?

I'm not entirely sure what Fail Forward entails, beyond the hilarious example of it summoning bears, but probably? I think it's less about failing forwards than it's about never failing stuck, though. To take an example from the last game I played in (a published Chaosium adventure), failing to translate the ancient documents basically meant that my character didn't learn the spell that would defeat the attacking horrors - instead we had to go at them with a shotgun, a flare pistol, and sharpened sticks. If my character had succeeded, we'd have gone at them with a spell, a shotgun, a flare pistol, and sharpened sticks. Failing didn't "progress" the game or bring it forward, it just didn't make it come to an abrupt halt.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not entirely sure what Fail Forward entails, beyond the hilarious example of it summoning bears, but probably? I think it's less about failing forwards than it's about never failing stuck, though. To take an example from the last game I played in (a published Chaosium adventure), failing to translate the ancient documents basically meant that my character didn't learn the spell that would defeat the attacking horrors - instead we had to go at them with a shotgun, a flare pistol, and sharpened sticks. If my character had succeeded, we'd have gone at them with a spell, a shotgun, a flare pistol, and sharpened sticks. Failing didn't "progress" the game or bring it forward, it just didn't make it come to an abrupt halt.
I'm pretty sure that's what Fail Forward is. The game kept moving forward instead of grinding to a halt spinning its wheels in a ditch because you failed the roll to learn the spell to progress to the next part.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LatwPIAT posted:

You've essentially described failing forward. "Fail forward" doesn't, despite what some people think, mean "failure and success are the same thing, rolling dice is pointless because the player gets what they want anyway," nor does it mean "you fail and now BEARS APPEAR EVERYWHERE," it means that "when you fail, something still happens to move the game forward." Sometimes that can mean "you get something you wanted BUT with a catch/mounting problems/a sticky situation to deal with" but it doesn't inherently have to give you anything you wanted, just so long as failing your dice roll doesn't result in the game soft-locking because the GM gated necessarily plot keys behind random rolls and didn't count on players actually failing them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The example I use to describe fail forward is the locked door in the dungeon: what happens when the rogue doesn't manage to break it open? Either the game is dead on its tracks until the dice roll right, or something interesting happens, like a trap triggering or some monsters hearing you.

Or, in fairness, you take 20 by waiting a couple of minutes of in game time, but I'd argue that that is also pretty boring.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the people decrying Fail Forward were arguing in good faith, one might say that the name of the principle is somewhat misleading: it's not so much fail forward as it is fail sideways or even still explicitly backwards, as long as the outcome isn't "nothing has changed" and is something that still gives the player something to react to or act on.

You roll to break open the door and you roll badly. Instead of "the door is still there and nothing has happened", the GM instead says that the monsters on the other side have woken up and are about to open the door from their end. You still didn't get what you wanted, but now there is a call to action.

You roll to find a clue (notwithstanding that perhaps you shouldn't do this) and you roll badly. Instead of "you find nothing", the GM instead says that it takes an inordinately long amount of time to find it (with has other rider effects on the plot) or you only catch enough of the clue to find the boss without knowing what his weakness is. You didn't get exactly what you wanted, but you still got enough to give you a direction to move towards next.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kai Tave posted:

You've essentially described failing forward. "Fail forward" doesn't, despite what some people think, mean "failure and success are the same thing, rolling dice is pointless because the player gets what they want anyway," nor does it mean "you fail and now BEARS APPEAR EVERYWHERE," it means that "when you fail, something still happens to move the game forward." Sometimes that can mean "you get something you wanted BUT with a catch/mounting problems/a sticky situation to deal with" but it doesn't inherently have to give you anything you wanted, just so long as failing your dice roll doesn't result in the game soft-locking because the GM gated necessarily plot keys behind random rolls and didn't count on players actually failing them.

That's half-correct, "failing forwards" usually implies that interesting consequences for failure are built into the game mechanics. CoC rules does not have this. In this case the adventures provides an "interesting" consequence in that you now have to face the monster without the spell that will help you defeat it, but that is just the natural consequence of a failed roll, and in many cases this will not result in anything interesting, and may indeed stall progress completely. In this particular scenario, you apparently still stand a chance to defeat the monster, and the increased difficulty could be described as interesting, but in many (arguably poorly written) scenarios you would not be able to. The lack of a failing forward mechanic is one of the big problems with CoC, and one that GMs have gotten around in many different ways over the years. A common technique is to improvise when your players hit a snag, and present them with some other way to advance. Other systems have been created in an effort to solve this issue: Trail of Cthulhu no longer requires die rolls for clue-discovery skills, while Tremulus introduced a failing forward mechanic based on "moves" from Apocalypse World.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 20, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
My favorite example is always the pulp/noir genre. In a standard tabletop game, you go through an investigation. Oops, you failed your rolls, you find nothing. Now the players are twiddling their thumbs with no leads and nothing to do. Cool game.

But in the actual genre, what should we expect to happen when the detective seems to lose all their leads? A bunch of big dudes who know you've been snooping around come by your place and beat ten kinds of living poo poo out of you. And as they walk away, you, bruised and bleeding, look down through your swollen eye, to see one has dropped a matchbox.

That's fail forward. You fail, and take whatever in-game consequences would exist for failing, but the plot doesn't just stop. The bit about "consequences" is also important, because it ensures rolls matter.

During the 5e previews, Mearls ran a game with other WotC staff to show off how cool it was. First thing they did was go through town to find plot hooks for an adventure. Everyone rolled, and nobody rolled well, so they all failed. The response? Mearls stared awkwardly at his notes for a bit, then just told them to roll again. Most people here immediately asked "Well what the gently caress is the point of the roll then?" In fail forward, not only would they not need to roll again, but that roll would've had actual consequences. Maybe they get clues but some of them are wrong, like they gear up to kill ogres and find zombies instead. Maybe the clue leads them into an ambush, so they have their plot hook, but first they have to fend off this attack. You get the general idea.

The other thing to note is that, obviously, fail forward isn't needed everywhere. If you're in that case of "if we succeed we get this benefit, if we fail we have to continue without the benefit," then it's totally fine to have the failed roll be "nothing happens;" that's the consequence. Fail Forward is for situations where the action you're rolling is a part of the plot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You know what happens to nosy Cirnos? They lose their Cirnoses.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

dude , i was rooting for you , up until you went and hosed IT UP by mentioning the shitstormCLUSTERFUQ that is VAMPIRE THE SHITQUEM .

" RIFTS is a very old game that has been published continuously for about twenty-five years, refusing all the while to release a new edition of the game. This means that there are some seriously weird and outdated rules in these books so it is hard to choose just one."

the above rule is something that WHITE WOLF has forgotten ( and i say this having sacrificed hard earned cash to SHITQUEM : LANCEA SANCTUM , SHITQUEM : CORE BOOK , SHITQUEM: BLOODLINES , in the hope of it becoming better)

aka

if it aint broke DONT FIX IT

( looking at you DND 4 especially you )

that being said i am proud of my old WOD , up to and including the RAVNOS (roma) but keep talking smack about the gypsies and the children of haquim or even the tzimsce will hurt you in ways that would make shamalan blush .

quote:

you want to know why dnd 4 sucked ?? pick up LADY PENITENT ( it explains why all of the drow pantheon is gone).... but i warn you LISA SMEDMAN is a avid penis hater ( you see it in how she writes )

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Dude writes like a 6 year old.

Was the Megaversal system even decent by '80s standards?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Rapier and hand crossbow can work just fine. Attack with the rapier, drop it (flavor it is either sticking it into the ground or tossing it into the air), attack with the hand crossbow and reload with your now free hand, pick up rapier (flavored as either grabbing the hilt again or catching it as it falls again). You get a d8 attack instead of a d6 on your first attack, and magical rapiers are probably more common than magical hand crossbows.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, I just realized a way better way to accomplish all of this using RAW, with almost no opportunity cost.

Dropping a weapon doesn't use up your item interaction. So, attack with sword, drop sword, attack with crossbow and reload as part of attack, pick up sword. Repeat next round.

Now, let's add some awesome. You're a first class adventurer, not some shmuck that lets his prized blade simple clatter to the ground every 6 seconds and then bend over to pick it up. So, without changing mechanics one bit, just adding some descriptive flavor, you don't just let your sword hand go limp, you stab your blade into the dirt at your feet, leaving the handle within easy reach while handling your crossbow. Or better yet, you "drop" it into the air over your head and "pick it up" as it falls back to you. Either of these are the exact same mechanic as drop and pick up. How is "slash, toss, twang, reload, catch" not a cooler image than "slash, twang, bumble with a bolt and rapier in the same hand to reload"? And it's completely legal RAW.

Now, I said almost no opportunity cost. The only way this can go wrong is if an adjacent enemy readies an action to pick up/catch your sword as soon as it's out of your hand. If this starts happening often, it's pretty easy to wait until you see an enemy not do anything while next to you, anticipate their move, and revert to the sheath every other round method while you laugh at them for wasting an entire round. As you stab them in the face.

Is this as simple as just letting someone reload while still holding a weapon? No. But it's close to as easy, RAW, and can be awesomely flavorful.

Edit: this would also let you mix your attacks to some extent, you'd just have to have all of your crossbow attacks together. A level 20 fighter could do 2 sword, 2 crossbow, then one sword.
Replace 'rapier' with 'shield' or 'second hand crossbow'. What happens?
It doesn't. It isn't supposed to. Sorry if that's what you want, but it's not something you can do in this game without a house rule.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
What's really weird is that every Call of Cthulhu character since 1981 has had not one but three metasystem stats attached to themselves: Know, Luck, and Idea. Each is equal to a particular stat (INT, POW, or EDU) multiplied by five, so pretty much every character should have one or more at 60% or higher. Here is the actual text (from the v5.6 rulebook)

quote:

IDEA ROLL (INT X5)
The Idea roll represents hunches and the ability to interpret the obvious. When no skill roll seems appropriate, this roll might show understanding of a concept or the ability to solve a pressing intellectual problem. The Idea roll is specially handy to show awareness: did the investigator observe and understand what he or she saw? Would a normal person have become aware of a particular feeling about a gathering or a place? Is anything out of place on that hill? Save the Spot Hidden skill for specific clues or items not immediately noticeable. Employ the Psychology skill when dealing with individuals.

LUCK ROLL (POW X5)
Did the investigator bring along some particular piece of gear? Is he or she the one the dimensional shambler decides to attack? Did the investigator step on the floorboard which breaks, or the one that squeaks? The Luck roll is a quick way to get an answer. Luck is the ability to be in the right place at the right time: this roll is often called for in emergency situations, especially when the keeper desires higher percentage chances for the investigators, more than might result from, say, calling for Jump or Dodge rolls.

KNOW ROLL (EDU X5)
All people know bits of information about different topics. The Know roll represents what's stored in the brain's intellectual attic, calculated as the percentage chance that the investigator's education supplied the information. The investigator might know what happens if one puts sulfuric acid into water or water into sulfuric acid (without ever studying Chemistry), or be able to remember the geography of Tibet (without a Navigate roll), or know how many legs arachnids have (and possess only a point of Biology). Identification of present-day earthly languages is an excellent use for the Know roll. Since no one knows everything, the Know roll never exceeds 99 even though an investigator might have EDU 21.
So built into the very fabric of the game are three ways for a GM to restart a stalled scenario. You can literally, rules-as-written, make characters roll dice to see if they come up with a good idea, and when the succeed you can give them the clue that lets them proceed ("it occurs to you that county tax assessor's office should have a full set of records on that property stretching back to the town's founding, hint hint"). And if that fails the GM can then, rules-as-written, ask the characters to roll to see if one of them remembers some stray bit on knowledge that gets the case moving again, or even comes down with a straight up loving deus-ex-machina lucky break that cracks things wide open. These three stats are literally "GM gets the scenario back on track" levers.

This is why I was so underwhelmed by Gumshoe/Trail of Cthulhu when it came out - it's big claim to fame was solving a problem (investigation scenarios screeching to a halt when nobody makes a particular skill roll) that Sandy had pretty much taken care of back in 1981 (albeit in a more systematic and elegant way).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GrizzlyCow posted:

Dude writes like a 6 year old.

Was the Megaversal system even decent by '80s standards?

I became a hypernerd around 1990, so maybe I don't really qualify, but even at the beginning of my descent into RPGs in middle school Palladium's stuff was noticeably more hodgepodge-y.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

If my players rocked up with those stats I would ask them the truth, and if they said they are not lying, if just roll with it. You can always adjust the encounters after a few sessions to give them something harder

quote:

The truth is that no matter what the players do, no matter how high the numbers are or how perfect the rolls are, the DM/GM has the ability to compensate for the numbers in order to make a fun adventure.

quote:

Let them go with that, then make them fight CR 30 monsters and keep your rolls secret. Hehehehehe

quote:

I had a player that claimed he had rolled strait 18's with 3d6. I just adjusted the encounters accordingly

quote:

You guys take having high stat rolls way too seriously. Just adjust the difficulty of encounters and keep on moving.

quote:

Also when you make the encounters more difficult, if they complain just state that the difficulty is to give them a challenge. If there is no challenge they might as well go play a mmo... We as DMs aren't computers and shouldn't be treated like a program for them to exploit.

quote:

When this happens make it a point that the NPCs also have crazy stats and max health...TPK ftw

quote:

Stats mean nothing because you can always adjust the encounter. You can also have him suffer ability drain and make it harder to recover it.

quote:

Or even better, create a book of learning that is cursed. Have them discover it and once read they suffer -2 across the board and not recoverable. Think of a curse from Munchkin.

I don't know if you'll agree that this is grog, but the constant refrain of "well just make the fights harder" really didn't sit well with me and I couldn't put my finger on it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 21, 2015

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know if you'll agree that this is grog, but the constant refrain of "well just make the fights harder" really didn't sit well with me and I couldn't put my finger on it.

I guess it raises the question of why they use randomly rolled stats at all if they're going to adjust encounters so the same level of challenge is maintained. Isn't that a perennial anti-storygame argument - that the same story happens no matter what players do?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
too bad for everyone else in the group also

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

I guess it raises the question of why they use randomly rolled stats at all if they're going to adjust encounters so the same level of challenge is maintained. Isn't that a perennial anti-storygame argument - that the same story happens no matter what players do?

because gygax (pbuh) randomly rolled his stats

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I thought the simpler "adjust the fights accordingly" guys were actually coming within range of being reasonable. No fighting, no chicanery, no dumb rocks fall from the heavens retaliation. Just "This guy has all 18s so here's a few more monsters."

It was the guys coming up with clever solutions that look like assholes. Just make 'em fight the Tarrasque right away, that'll teach them! Then give him ability drain because I guess we're playing 2e? Then give them a fake magic item, the Book of gently caress You, Darryl!

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is something a little bit weird about their social dynamic. We're apparently talking about stats which are clearly cheated. But instead of just functioning like honest, mature people who talk these things over and just not cheat in general... they allow the stats and fudge the rest of the game to counter them. I guess two wrongs do make a right. And since the rest of the game gets warped to account for these cheated stats, gently caress you to the honest guys who rolled in the way they were supposed to. Their enemies now also get stronger even though they don't have the super-stats to deal with them, since they did the right thing like a bunch of dummies.

Although the assholes who spring out cursed items and "gotcha!" tarrasques are even worse.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

I thought the simpler "adjust the fights accordingly" guys were actually coming within range of being reasonable.

Yeah, but at that point why roll stats at all?

Like, the whole point of rolling stats is that you might get lucky and be better at everything. Or you might roll really badly and have no fun an opportunity for roleplay. If you're not getting that (because the DM is adjusting things to compensate) then you might as well save time and have everyone take a standard array.

e: Wait, I missed the part where the guy cheated his stats. Why aren't they telling the cheater to gently caress off?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I think it's just that the whole atmosphere of "okay, I clearly have an out-of-character issue that upsets me, but to avoid confrontation, I'll just be as adversarial as possible in my GMing style" is seriously passive-aggressive. If you distrust the people you're gaming with enough to go to elaborate ends to gently caress them over when you think they're cheating, why are you even playing with them?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adjusting the fights to balance out against the PCs abilities and provide a reasonable level of challenge = dumb storygame poo poo that breeds entitled baby players

Adjusting the fights to PUNISH THE DIRTY ROTTEN CHEATER = good strong DMing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
I'd like it to be compulsory for people giving online RPG advice to post the number of days it's been since the last time they GMmed/played a TTRPG with other people. I bet that the average for most grogs.txt-bait posts is somewhere in the mid five figures.

• Locked thread