Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
If Cormier becomes champion in Jones's absence, is the victory as hollow as it seems to me? It's Basically "Cormier by TKO: livin' large" Either Jones comes back and circles around the outside until the judges get dizzy and give him back the belt, or they never meet again, and for the rest of MMA history, it's, "He was only champion because Jones was too busy playing GTA: Albuquerque."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yes

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllG0vFeGJI
really good interview

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
please win chris

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Foul Fowl posted:

please win chris

i wouldn't be too stressed. vitor is the definition of puncher's chance. a very good puncher's chance but it would still be incredibly surprising to see vitor win.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://instagram.com/p/10c86uyS47/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Amirkhani's social media stuff is like one kitten post away from a 13 year old girl's and I couldn't love it more :3: Hope he kicks rear end in Berlin

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Just came here to post this link. This video is great because you can tell how incredibly mentally tough he is. He talks about nearly killing himself to make weight for the Maia fight and almost joining bellator because he needed money so bad but the UFC told him to get a few more fights. If you have some time, check it out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Centripetal Horse posted:

If Cormier becomes champion in Jones's absence, is the victory as hollow as it seems to me? It's Basically "Cormier by TKO: livin' large" Either Jones comes back and circles around the outside until the judges get dizzy and give him back the belt, or they never meet again, and for the rest of MMA history, it's, "He was only champion because Jones was too busy playing GTA: Albuquerque."

The same is true if Rumble wins. Anybody holding the belt right now is going to be thought of as second best till Jones gets back.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fatherdog posted:

The same is true if Rumble wins. Anybody holding the belt right now is going to be thought of as second best till Jones gets back.

The obvious difference is Cormier just lost decisively to Jones. If Rumble knocks Cormier out I think he'll be respected as the legit champion. I mean we won't know if he's better than jones until they fight but he won't be a paper champ the same way Cormier would be.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Dana is trying to setup DC vs Jones 2 obv

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if/when Jones comes back, they'd have to do DC/Jones 2. But from the way Dana talked about what a PR nightmare Jones is, there'd be some serious financial risk calculations before the UFC would even commit to bringing Jones back in.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
they're going to make so much money when jones comes back

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

coconono posted:

if/when Jones comes back, they'd have to do DC/Jones 2. But from the way Dana talked about what a PR nightmare Jones is, there'd be some serious financial risk calculations before the UFC would even commit to bringing Jones back in.

Well seeing as DW has already said Jones will get an instant title fight upon return, it would seem those calculations have been done.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its funny that the greatest fighter of all time s such a pain in the rear end that its a calculated risk to sign him back.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How crazy would Vitor's resume be if both he and Rumble win on Saturday? Got 2 UFC titles in 2 weight classes* and wins over Rockhold, Weidman, and UFC champion Anthony Johnson.

I hope he does all the roids.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

How crazy would Vitor's resume be if both he and Rumble win on Saturday? Got 2 UFC titles in 2 weight classes* and wins over Rockhold, Weidman, and UFC champion Anthony Johnson.

I hope he does all the roids.

I was trying to imagine if all of the roids that vitor has ever taken were put into one pile what kind of vessel it would fill. A pot? A bucket? A tub? A barrel? A crate?

The best part is that if someone did that, he would use the pile as evidence that he's totally clean bro, because how could he have taken all of the drugs if we have all of the drugs right there? Logic.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

If Vitor shows up looking like CM Punk and knocks out Weidman it will be even better. But I'm prepared for something sad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vitors win over Rumble was also after Rumble had such a horrible cut that he was over 10 pounds over when he had to medically stop cutting and rehydrate. I think that fight at 205 without a horrible cut shapes up quite a bit differently.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Glover vs OSP is apparently the main event for a fight night card in Nashville in early August. Makes sense I guess.
Also Holly Holm vs Marion Reneau is being "targeted" for the Mir-Duffee card in San Diego according to a couple of sites. Another pretty good bit of matchmaking and a good test to see where they both are.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

colonel_korn posted:

Glover vs OSP is apparently the main event for a fight night card in Nashville in early August. Makes sense I guess.
Also Holly Holm vs Marion Reneau is being "targeted" for the Mir-Duffee card in San Diego according to a couple of sites. Another pretty good bit of matchmaking and a good test to see where they both are.

All right there's too many cool fights on this middling mid-week fight night card. I'm going.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

What a great interview.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

MycroftXXX posted:

What a great interview.

This was great and the Katie Nolan one a few pages ago was good too. Weidman is awesome.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn3rcbCF1fM&hd=1

Uneventful. Mostly Weidman being chill.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

:mediocre:

(not really, i just discovered we have this and i wanted to use it)

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

I liked seeing the humble, more human side of Conor in that. I like him.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

i wouldn't be too stressed. vitor is the definition of puncher's chance. a very good puncher's chance but it would still be incredibly surprising to see vitor win.

it's not really a puncher's chance if he's done it to like 20 different guys over a period of as many years

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ya, someone with a punchers chance that does it to everyone is called a boxer

When I think punchers chance I think Roy Nelson. Doesn't really box well, just throws an overhand right every once in a while. Whereas vitor throws a tonne of straight punches while moving forward and with great accuracy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Ya, someone with a punchers chance that does it to everyone is called a boxer

When I think punchers chance I think Roy Nelson. Doesn't really box well, just throws an overhand right every once in a while. Whereas vitor throws a tonne of straight punches while moving forward and with great accuracy.

Since 2011 Vitor has 4 KOs, Roy has 5.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
But the rest of his game comes off stunning his opponent with a blitz to get a sub or tko right? Whereas if Roy's BRH missed it lead to nothing

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

You're right; Roy Nelson fights a lot more than Vitor Belfort.

In their last 6 fights, Vitor is 5-1 (4ko), while Roy is 2-4 (2ko).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

But the rest of his game comes off stunning his opponent with a blitz to get a sub or tko right? Whereas if Roy's BRH missed it lead to nothing

The rest of Vitor's game is gassing and giving up.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I must have been thinking of old new old new old vitor instead of new old new old new vitor

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

The rest of Vitor's game is gassing and giving up.

Hey he put a permanent hitch in jone's elbow before gassing and giving up. So, that's pretty good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Let's not forget that Vitor has gone through some severe personal / familial trauma and still has a rather amazing career. TRT was doubtlessly a part of his resurgence but so is potentially putting severe mental health issues behind you (or at least enough that the crazy is peripheral and not interfering in the cage).

My point is that drugs alone don't let you spin-kick Luke Rockhold in the face.

fatherdog posted:

Off-hand I can think of three of Roy's KO's being against fighters that are capital-D Done or not very good to begin with (Dave Herman). Roy is also in a KO-heavy division whereas Vitor's four put him in the upper tier of middleweight.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 21, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Foul Fowl posted:

it's not really a puncher's chance if he's done it to like 20 different guys over a period of as many years

It is when he's fighting Chris Weidman.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I loving love Chris Weidman. Ever since the Maia fight he's been one of my favorite fighters and the Silva fights made him my absolute #1. His fights are some of the biggest sports nights of the year for me personally.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i love chris as much as the next guy but this level of apotheosis is getting a bit absurd

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Foul Fowl posted:

i love chris as much as the next guy but this level of apotheosis is getting a bit absurd

People liking the cool good fighter and thinking he has an incredibly good chance of beating the guy notorious for gassing early (even in his juice ridden prime) is absurd? You must not have experienced MMA fandom that long.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

People rooting for Chris over the steroid guy with a stupid haircut is some sort of a shock to you?

• Locked thread