Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you run into an rear end in a top hat every once in a while you've run into some assholes but if you run into assholes all the time you're the rear end in a top hat, OP\

rear end in a top hat

:snipeTHIS:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I am a wonderful and loving human being. I love you OP.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

in my experience most people are actually really nice, its just two things: people tend to be pretty dense and people also tend to be really, really lazy. I'm not exactly an ironman but it shocks me to see how lazy people are. anyway those two things make people look like assholes but the majority of people really aren't.

naem
May 29, 2011

I have a nine inch logn penis

Aug 4, 2010

only nine?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I have a nine inch logn penis

Same but it's 4.5 i just give it twice

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
compassion, kindness, charity, empathy, honesty

generally speaking, excepting child-rearing, these behaviors are not natural on an instinctive level, and have required human civilization -- which is unnatural -- to become valued traits and produce a useful return... and even then it's very hit or miss

so there's your answer, OP

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 22, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vancouver would overwhelmingly be voted the city with the most jerks in Canada so it's not a northeast thing. Our eastern maritimers are nice, as long as they stay drunk.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

www posted:

only nine?

Nein!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the universe is inherently tsundere, op

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

haljordan posted:

lol if you dont know the entire world is populated by assholes

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Also aliens are total assholes too so this isn't even just an Earth thing.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ninotoreS posted:

generally speaking, excepting child-rearing, these behaviors are not natural on an instinctive level, and have required human civilization -- which is unnatural -- to become valued traits and produce a useful return... and even then it's very hit or miss

lol at the idea that any of those traits produce a useful return

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
people are nice to me where I live, in general*

*if I was Mexican though that would certainly not be the case

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Ppl r assholes.
So am I.
Feels p good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
if you're not loving someone over, you're the one being hosed op

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not the fact that people are assholes that bothers me, it's that people won't communicate. Why precisely that is, I do not know.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It's cause we are all highly flawed and broken by modern society and the world at large and we all respond accordingly in our own ways hth

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's a northeast thing. We're not assholes, we're just better than everyone else and figured they were too stupid to notice.

But not you OP. You're one of the smart ones, aren't you? Yes you are..

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

It's not the fact that people are assholes that bothers me, it's that people won't communicate. Why precisely that is, I do not know.
negative reinforcement. it's like, imagine you're a baby chimp and this mengele cosplayer ten times your size is trying to grind you against a weird sculpture he made from wire, yeah? what can you do in that situation, really? not much. so you get grumpy. you get your guard up, twenty-four seven. never let it down, go about your own business, right? cuz else you die. you cease to exist. and there ain't no such thing as a person that don't exist. you either do or you don't *sips from drink*

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

it's because it's a defense mechanism for assholes to make it impossible to communicate on any level other than the rear end in a top hat controlling the conversation. they don't want you to get near their sensitive, broken little naughty parts because they were fat when they were little or their parents were asses or something. just trying to survive. but not on my loving cock and taint. that aint ur meal bitchboy.

the convo ain't meant to communicate anything, it's a vehicle for manipulation, a sad hyundai sonata, twisting and turning and trying to bring you back to the point they'd like you to get. if you're someone this doesn't really work on, people will get frustrated and break down the communication on purpose (this is not how this convo was supposed to go...)

sonata cool car. these manlets and former fat girls need to be handled with the faux "hm, but i like you?" and talk the worst poo poo to his face and then never to anyone else who wont believe him anyway

usually no suicide tho

a good response to anything sketchy is: "Hmm, yes, but we're not going to do that."

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

in the meantime, go learn karate and prepare to challenge him/her to a trampoline fight

i guess it's all the ancient art of goat-getting in the end

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

ninotoreS posted:

Those are natural human traits though. It's just that being an rear end in a top hat is also a natural human trait.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Last weekend I had the opportunity to drive in the busy parts of Chicago downtown. From that experience, I have lost faith in humanity and learn that man is unkind. Nuke this planet.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

One day, people would swab each other with animosity sticks, and thered be no way to hide it. Just as you could be tested for cancer, you could be tested for fury. Your anger would show, or your resentment, your detachment, your ambivalence, your reduced sexual attraction, no matter what you said or did. Your mood would be a chemical fact and if you lied about it then, poor, poor you. Youd be found out!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

because you grow up learning that the world is cool and you can grow up to do whatever you want and then at some point in your late teens you realize it's all bullshit and everything is hosed beyond belief and the world is like EVE Online except we're the pubbies and GoonFleet is a bunch of rich white fucklords and their apparent purpose in life is to crash the servers as hard and as often as they can

and you get angry and disillusioned. most people despair at this point and become bitter assholes. some people embrace the absurdity and are cool dudes.

either that or you believe in literal magic.

The gooniest life view.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

basement jihadist posted:

One day, people would swab each other with animosity sticks, and thered be no way to hide it. Just as you could be tested for cancer, you could be tested for fury. Your anger would show, or your resentment, your detachment, your ambivalence, your reduced sexual attraction, no matter what you said or did. Your mood would be a chemical fact and if you lied about it then, poor, poor you. Youd be found out!

dang yo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Droid Washington posted:

The gooniest life view.

it's just a tldr of existentialism though.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

thats not what existantialism is though

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

it's just a tldr of existentialism though.

Someone fell asleep halfway thru a lecture

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Most people are assholes it's pretty normal. Most well-adjusted people just brush it off but sometimes thin-skinned beta bitchmade fags come on the itnernet and complain about how people are rude.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

it's Ben Marcus, i lied im sorry

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quakster posted:

negative reinforcement. it's like, imagine you're a baby chimp and this mengele cosplayer ten times your size is trying to grind you against a weird sculpture he made from wire, yeah? what can you do in that situation, really? not much. so you get grumpy. you get your guard up, twenty-four seven. never let it down, go about your own business, right? cuz else you die. you cease to exist. and there ain't no such thing as a person that don't exist. you either do or you don't *sips from drink*

I feel like there's wisdom here but I'll be damned if I can see it.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

isn't that just punishment?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

thats not what existantialism is though

nah i'm pretty sure in a nutshell it's "life is absurd and pointless, trying to find higher meaning leads to despair, deal with it by finding your own meaning and living for it."

the nihilists go "life is absurd and pointless, kill yourself" but most people aren't that hardcore so they just get bitter and angry at life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

basement jihadist posted:

isn't that just punishment?

It just sounds like petty small-mindedness to me, but that might be ironic.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

There are probably lots of different reasons people are jerks because you can be a jerk in a lot of different ways.

It's a beautiful cornucopia of assholery. :sun:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

nah i'm pretty sure in a nutshell it's "life is absurd and pointless, trying to find higher meaning leads to despair, deal with it by finding your own meaning and living for it."

I can agree that it is an existentialist thought to notice that the conditions of life are essentially arbitrary and that meaning has to be self-generated by a subject and is not found in the objective conditions of the world. thats not universal to existentialism though because keirkegaard said that trying to find meaning in such a way was inevitably self-defeating.

the sickness unto death posted:

Unlike the despair of weakness, the despair of defiance is the despair of wanting in desperation to be oneself. Here despair is conscious of itself as an activity. The self 's identity comes not from "outside" but directly from the self. It is rooted in the consciousness of an infinitude, of being related to the infinite, and it is this self the despairer wants to be. In other words, such a self severs itself from any relationship to the power that has established it.

It wants desperately to rule over itself, create itself, make this self what it wants it to be, and determine what it will have and what it will not have. The one who lives in defiance does not truly put on a self, nor does he see his task in his given self. No, by virtue of his own "infinitude" he constructs his own self by himself and for himself.

The defiant self recognizes no power other than its own. It is content with taking notice only of itself, which it does by means of bestowing infinite interest and significance on all its enterprises. In the process of its wish to be its own master, however, it works its way into the exact opposite; it really becomes no self, and thus despairs. As it acts, there is nothing eternally firm on which it stands. Yes, the defiant self is its own master, absolutely (as one says) its own master, and yet exactly this is despair.

Upon closer examination it is easy to see that this absolute ruler is a king without a country. He really rules over nothing. His position, his kingdom, his sovereignty, is subject to the dictates of rebellion at any moment. This is because such a self is forever building castles in the air, and just when it seems on the point of having the building finished, at a whim it can and often does dissolve the whole thing into nothing.

thats not all of existentialism though. very important existential contributions from sartre and beauvoir are about the dynamics of being a subjective being in an objective world with other impenetrable subjective beings for which you appear as an object. personally i find this branch of existentialism to be a lot more useful for understanding my position in the world than meanderings over despair.

wiki posted:

While this experience, in its basic phenomenological sense, constitutes the world as objective, and oneself as objectively existing subjectivity (one experiences oneself as seen in the Other's Look in precisely the same way that one experiences the Other as seen by him, as subjectivity), in existentialism, it also acts as a kind of limitation of freedom. This is because the Look tends to objectify what it sees. As such, when one experiences oneself in the Look, one doesn't experience oneself as nothing (no thing), but as something. Sartre's own example of a man peeping at someone through a keyhole can help clarify this: at first, this man is entirely caught up in the situation he is in; he is in a pre-reflexive state where his entire consciousness is directed at what goes on in the room. Suddenly, he hears a creaking floorboard behind him, and he becomes aware of himself as seen by the Other. He is thus filled with shame for he perceives himself as he would perceive someone else doing what he was doing, as a Peeping Tom. The Look is then co-constitutive of one's facticity.

Another characteristic feature of the Look is that no Other really needs to have been there: It is quite possible that the creaking floorboard was nothing but the movement of an old house; the Look isn't some kind of mystical telepathic experience of the actual way the other sees one (there may also have been someone there, but he could have not noticed that the person was there). It is only one's perception of the way another might perceive him.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

eternalname posted:

is it a byproduct of living in the northeastern US, or is the entire world like this? serious question

Because life sucks and most people, instead of thinking, "man, life sucks for me. I bet others are as miserable as me so I will be kind to them so that at least I'm not adding to their misery," decide to treat everyone like poo poo because they think everyone else is happy and they are the only miserable ones. They want to make everyone feel as lovely as they do.

Also, it's all of the US. no clue about if it's like this in other parts of the world.

Zzulu posted:

We were created in gods image and he's a giant rear end in a top hat too

lol.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

• Locked thread