Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

zedprime posted:

It feels like they've been dropped recently in favor of tempo changes/beat drops.
You are absolutely right, and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The easy way to spot a key change: the singer who was slightly struggling before is now on the brink of exploding.

Were the semi 2 singers in tune more than semi 1?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EL BROMANCE posted:

Were the semi 2 singers in tune more than semi 1?

The opposite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, Eurovision is still waiting for a Roseanne level of key misjudgement.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nenonen posted:

The opposite.

Oh wow. I'm kind of excited about the finals again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
i cant get the slovenian song out of my hea, please help

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

steinrokkan posted:

Well, Eurovision is still waiting for a Roseanne level of key misjudgement.

Jemini not bad enough for ya?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a Portuguese i formally send my apologies for yet again sending an absolutely bland entry to the greatest European event ever made. We're simply not good at Eurovision :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i loving love thsi event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PneOwzMz4M

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I miss Turkey. They consistently sent some great entries.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

loving love this song. The euro party I was at that year had a blast with drunken fake lyrics.

Come with me baby, I want to stuff you iiinnn a trunk. Ride with me on the ocean, you'll never see your family agaaaiinn.

Like me like I like you, dont you daaarree say noo

:toot:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Ok guys, so I forgot about Eurovision this year until someone mentioned it online in a random place. They said the final is tomorrow. What time in Pacific is it?

Also, did I miss any crazy songs that have already been eliminated? It seems that usually the forgettable songs and the crazy songs get eliminated so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Superrodan posted:

Ok guys, so I forgot about Eurovision this year until someone mentioned it online in a random place. They said the final is tomorrow. What time in Pacific is it?

Also, did I miss any crazy songs that have already been eliminated? It seems that usually the forgettable songs and the crazy songs get eliminated so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The only good crazy ones were in semi 2 and actually made it in, for once.

Unfortunately that was only, like, 3 songs. Watch Israel's.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Superrodan posted:

1) Noon pacific but don't quote me on that.

2) I'd say Moldova maybe?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

gret posted:

1) Noon pacific but don't quote me on that.

Yep, noon PDT.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fallen soldiers: Moldova, Macedonia, Switzerland

Honorable mentions: Goons really liked Finland for some reason. Portugal was an entirely average act that could have made it in the other semi. Malta is great if you love thick chicks and pyro with your ballad.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

zedprime posted:

Malta is great if you love thick chicks and pyro with your ballad.

If? Malta is consistently one of my favourite countries in Eurovision. Not always the best but pretty much always worthy of getting through to the finals.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Kurtofan posted:

Is Russia's song really about peace.

I thought it was about sweaty flat-chested women.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Slovenia going first is a travesty.

Latvia's going to win. Hopefully Sweden is too early and people see through Russia.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Superrodan posted:

RIP Finland & Moldova, fallen heroes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I love eurovision, but ever since they changed the rules to punishing the slavs for solidtarity, it's been terrible. 2010 and 2011 were really high points, with Apricot Stone, Run away by Olia Tira, Satellite by Lena. 2008 with Divine was really good too.

Last year was one of the worst ever. This year

Spain has a funny video
Georgia is pretty fun
Macedonia was okay, Russia was okay, Latvia wasn't so bad.

The UK's song was the worst by far, only Israel was on the same awful level. Bad year for Eurovision. Maybe next year.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
What's wrong with the UK. Everybody seems to harp on it but their competent Caro Emerald ripoff is way more entertaining than most other garbage in the semis.

I hope they will make a liberal use of glo'paint on stage too

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 23, 2015

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Google

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tafferling posted:

What's wrong with the UK. Everybody seems to harp on it but their competent Caro Emerald ripoff is way more entertaining than most other garbage in the semis.

It's the UK, people are always gonna have a go cause we always send poo poo.

Having checked out the rehearsal for our entry on Eurovision, I reckon it's going to end up going down as good camp rather than bad camp (for once). We might be able to break the top 15 this year :woop:

Guuse
May 11, 2009
I really wanted Slovenia to get a better draw. Hopefully they end up finishing in the top 10 somewhere and maybe set the record for the highest Slovenia entry. .I actually really liked their entry and it sucks that they're consigned to the lead-off position I'n legit surprised that Estonia got such a poo poo draw since they've been hyped since forever. Georgia, Latvia and Spain (if they do something fun) are in good positions, though. As much as I want Sweden to not win, at least they have a good entry to challenge Russia. And this should be a much more fun final than last year, especially with the UK aiming for memorable train wreck territory.

Sweden was way ahead of the curve on pissing off Russia with the power of Eurovision, and I guess that I'm pretty OK with them hosting it next year unless someone cooler pulls through tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FET5VJF8caI

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tafferling posted:

It's like something from a vodka commercial in 2012. The idea and its execution offend me with their corniness and shamelessness.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
Montenegro 2013 never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9rtB2ilZU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

:siren: Final Voting is Now Open :siren:

Sadly it seems the SQL problems still exist. All I can think of is my coding is bad, and the version of MySQL I'm using is less tolerant of my bullshit and keeps running out of memory when it gets quite busy. But it should come back up a minute or two after it drops it seems, so please be patient and I apologise for my inability to sort this on time.

http://crucialweb.net/eurovision

Voting is open from now, so if you know who you like there's no problem with putting your votes in early and missing the rush. Otherwise, probably best to make a note of your scores and then you can quickly enter them on the site and get it through, rather than losing your vote. I hope to fix this for next year! (Or forget and have the same problems again...)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Tafferling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZFMClmP24

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dejan Bimble posted:

I love eurovision, but ever since they changed the rules to punishing the slavs for solidtarity, it's been terrible.
Haha, the juries vote closer to block lines than televoters because now you have people with business relationships with people involved in the acts. Its purposefully to discourage T&A pandering because of the children, and more conspiratorially to discourage anything more alternative than top 100 pop from wanting to show up. If you've got a really compelling act like Poland 2014 you can even bypass it with the right combo of popular support and the jury blocks.

I still don't think there's anything worse with the recent competitions, even the wild and crazy post Lordi years had their poo poo ballads. Nostalgia and Youtube curation is a hell of a thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
turkey is cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=524Yy7JWBd4

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I'm crushed that I wont be able to watch all of the finals today since I'm studying for boards all day. I'll get some watching in while I can though. I'm rooting for Belgium and Sweden this year since Moldova let me down and no one sent an awesome Ska act. Hopefully Belgium takes it because Sweden wins too much.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 23, 2015

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

zedprime posted:

I still don't think there's anything worse with the recent competitions, even the wild and crazy post Lordi years had their poo poo ballads. Nostalgia and Youtube curation is a hell of a thing.

Someone had the stat earlier that this year was over 70% ballads. There's been a definite reduction in the number of fun acts year on year. Everyone seems to be playing it as safe as possible because safe acts have a much better chance of doing well, cf. Azerbaijan.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ehh, there's tons of fun stuff just half of it doesn't make it into the finals . was actually surprised about how many of the silly performances got through in the 2nd semi final.

im not gonna be able to watch eurovision live as i got a friends birthday bbq to go to :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Plavski posted:

Someone had the stat earlier that this year was over 70% ballads. There's been a definite reduction in the number of fun acts year on year. Everyone seems to be playing it as safe as possible because safe acts have a much better chance of doing well, cf. Azerbaijan.
Banner year 2007 final was about 1/3 ballads. If you count knockoff rock bands with 0 stage presence as equally boring, it was 50% crap. I don't even want to delve into 08 because a ballad won 07.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

less than three posted:

On 6 August 2014, Austrian public broadcaster ORF announced that it had chosen Vienna as the host city for the 2015 contest.
The contest will be held at the Wiener Stadthalle, which has an overall capacity of approximately 16,000 people.

I realize that gay pride is a big part of modern Eurovision, but isn't hosting it in the Hall of Wieners a bit too on the nose?

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

ehh, there's tons of fun stuff just half of it doesn't make it into the finals . was actually surprised about how many of the silly performances got through in the 2nd semi final.

im not gonna be able to watch eurovision live as i got a friends birthday bbq to go to :(

Yeah both semis were pretty bad overall with some fun stuff in, but the 2nd semi's voting was way superior to the 1st.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dejan Bimble posted:

I love eurovision, but ever since they changed the rules to punishing the slavs for solidtarity, it's been terrible. 2010 and 2011 were really high points, with Apricot Stone, Run away by Olia Tira, Satellite by Lena. 2008 with Divine was really good too.

Last year was one of the worst ever. This year

Spain has a funny video
Georgia is pretty fun
Macedonia was okay, Russia was okay, Latvia wasn't so bad.

The UK's song was the worst by far, only Israel was on the same awful level. Bad year for Eurovision. Maybe next year.
2012's Russia owned too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNRGc71hjc

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The UK song is actually fun and cool and preferable to another bloody ballad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Plavski posted:

Not saying ballads aren't a safer option than fun acts, but Azerbaijani bribes probably beat both.

• Locked thread