Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mastershakeman posted:

Hmery, mine's 5 years old now and I'm finally starting to like Kane more than Toews this year for no real reason other than enjoying brash/evil guys like Mayweather.

If you can get a goon to design you something I'll buy it. Hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

HookShot posted:

Not necessarily boring in terms of watching them play (good God not at all), but boring in terms of narrative.
Ok, but why do you think they're boring in terms of narrative?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think there's a loving fantastic narrative as long as it "the Rangers win the Stanley Cup!"

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Someone design a Kane water elemental avatar where he melts the ice behind his flaming mullet

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Ok, but why do you think they're boring in terms of narrative?

Hawks: won a lot recently, boring because it sucks when the same teams are always in the CF or SCF (unless it's my team, then it is always awesome)
Ducks: I literally cannot think of a single interesting thing about this team. Like at all.
Tampa: No one cares about the south, even when Steve Stamkos is as amazing as he is. They don't even have the "we've never won a cup!!" stuff to fall back on.
Rangers: At least last year they could be all "Oh 20 years it's meant to be". "Hank is cool and good" is basically the closest thing to a narrative that the Rangers have.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Now explain all the compelling edge-of-ones-seat narratives behind Minnesota and Detroit and Calgary and Pittsburgh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All of them are garbage so if they won it would be a literal miracle and the first time in NHL history that a GM would be canonized by the Pope.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

Now explain all the compelling edge-of-ones-seat narratives behind Minnesota and Detroit and Calgary and Pittsburgh.

Minnesota: never won a cup, miracle run, Devan Dubnyk.
Calgary: magically not poo poo this year for once, a whole bunch of young fun guys, Giordano is awesome and would have come back in the SCF to lead them to victory

Detroit and Pittsburgh aren't that interesting, narrative-wise. Maybe the fact that MAF didn't actually MAF, assuming he would have played well through the next few series.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
If only the Vancouver Canucks were still in the hunt then that rich tapestry of a well spun narrative story would be unleashed upon us. but alas we get the Rangers/Hawks that we deserve.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

If only the Vancouver Canucks were still in the hunt then that rich tapestry of a well spun narrative story would be unleashed upon us. but alas we get the Rangers/Hawks that we deserve.

If would test my conjecture that the closer Luca Sbisa gets to a championship the chances of the universe suddenly ending without warning rapidly approaches 100%.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

If would test my conjecture that the closer Luca Sbisa gets to a championship the chances of the universe suddenly ending without warning rapidly approaches 100%.

Just think, if he was still on the Ducks the Canucks would probably have been in the WCF right now!

(Because the Canucks would have likely beaten Calgary, and the Ducks would have been taken out in round 1 because Sbisa is good hockey kryptonite)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

I think there's a loving fantastic narrative as long as it "the Rangers win the Stanley Cup!"

Nah I don't want to hear about the Rangers' 2015 Cup victory in 2040.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

Also it would have resulted in a goalie controversy that would have probably rivalled Luongo/Schneider.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HookShot posted:

Just think, if he was still on the Ducks the Canucks would probably have been in the WCF right now!

(Because the Canucks would have likely beaten Calgary, and the Ducks would have been taken out in round 1 because Sbisa is good hockey kryptonite)

Sbisa wasn't regularly getting minutes when he got moved and he sure as hell wouldn't be now that Wizniewski and Despres are on the team.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Again, those are things you could say every year. Stuff like championship droughts are cared about when it's the Red Sox, but then if the White Sox win the very next year to get rid of a bigger drought it's a non-story because they don't have a massive sprawling fan base. No one gave any special attention to the Lightning/Canes/Ducks winning their first Cups, but Vancouver would be a different story.

HookShot posted:

Minnesota: never won a cup, miracle run, Devan Dubnyk.
Calgary: magically not poo poo this year for once, a whole bunch of young fun guys, Giordano is awesome and would have come back in the SCF to lead them to victory

Detroit and Pittsburgh aren't that interesting, narrative-wise. Maybe the fact that MAF didn't actually MAF, assuming he would have played well through the next few series.
So your examples of players people care about includes Devan Dubnyk and Marc Giordano, but not Crosby, Stamkos or Lundqvist? Is the NHL really going to be chasing those big Devan Dubnyk dollars? Why would people care about the Wild's miracle run instead of the other miracle runs which have occurred frequently and generated tepid interest? Why are you talking about the young fun guys on Calgary as opposed to the ones on Tampa?

Narratives can be made out of nothing and people would care a billion times more about the Pittsburgh one than others, since they have players and a team that people care about.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Again, those are things you could say every year. Stuff like championship droughts are cared about when it's the Red Sox, but then if the White Sox win the very next year to get rid of a bigger drought it's a non-story because they don't have a massive sprawling fan base. No one gave any special attention to the Lightning/Canes/Ducks winning their first Cups, but Vancouver would be a different story.

Who would give a poo poo about Vancouver winning aside from Vancouver? I guess there'd be a smattering of stupidity from the media talking about how the cup was brought "home" but nobody else would care.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Sbisa wasn't regularly getting minutes when he got moved and he sure as hell wouldn't be now that Wizniewski and Despres are on the team.

Should probably be an asterisk next to Wizniewski.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Should probably be an asterisk next to Wizniewski.

Even if he isn't playing, he'd be higher up the depth chart

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Who would give a poo poo about Vancouver winning aside from Vancouver? I guess there'd be a smattering of stupidity from the media talking about how the cup was brought "home" but nobody else would care.
Well Vancouver's a big enough hockey market by itself plus they have a good bit of fans around Canada. They also have a lot of people who specifically hate them. And yeah, a Canadian team winning by itself would be a big deal here, that's a major story every year now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

But no one wants the Canucks to be the Canadian team that wins it

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

But no one wants the Canucks to be the Canadian team that wins it

Canadians bandwagon hard when there's even a faint rooting interest. Most hockey viewership in this country is actually very casual.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Canadians bandwagon hard when there's even a faint rooting interest. Most hockey viewership in this country is actually very casual.

There were actually more Canadian Bruins fans in 2011 than Canucks fans.

I don't think it's possible to underestimate how much the rest of Canada dislikes the city of Vancouver.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
*Citation needed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vancouver, noun:
1) A garbage dump on the west coast.
2) A city in northwest Washington state.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

So your examples of players people care about includes Devan Dubnyk and Marc Giordano, but not Crosby, Stamkos or Lundqvist? Is the NHL really going to be chasing those big Devan Dubnyk dollars? Why would people care about the Wild's miracle run instead of the other miracle runs which have occurred frequently and generated tepid interest? Why are you talking about the young fun guys on Calgary as opposed to the ones on Tampa?

Narratives can be made out of nothing and people would care a billion times more about the Pittsburgh one than others, since they have players and a team that people care about.

heh sorry people don't give a poo poo about your often successful team, it must suck

Ps devan Dubnyk owns

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 23, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

narratives are almost always manufactured bullshit by the sports media and they mean stupid jack poo poo.

I want to see hockey being played not listen to Pierre and Milbury talk about why I should care about some team or player.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

heh sorry people don't give a poo poo about your often successful team, it must suck
I don't know what you're talking about but my team is the Senators, who aren't successful and I know people don't give a poo poo about them.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

RC Cola posted:

Any hawks fans have a Kane elemental avatar you might want? We need earth wind and water IMO. I'll buy them for you

I'll buy my own if someone makes one. I'm also going to game 5 Monday, anyone got ideas for signs? We're already probably making giant face ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not elemental but I always figured this could be turned into an avatar somehow.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

xzzy posted:

Not elemental but I always figured this could be turned into an avatar somehow.

why does that have sharp on the bottom

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

joeburz posted:

Sharp cucks again

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 24, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

joeburz posted:

If I remember right it came from a low budget local car dealer commercial, they're always poo poo at that stuff.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

If I remember right it came from a low budget local car dealer commercial, they're always poo poo at that stuff.

Someone else make the gdt today. I'm bad luck. Also vermette and TT are in tonight. Thank god.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
i hope ducks/bolts beings ratings death to rogers

gently caress rogers

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Mind_Taker posted:

Nah I don't want to hear about the Rangers' 2015 Cup victory in 2040.

I do. I want to hear about that

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Isn't Mind_Taker a Caps fan?

I don't want to hear about no Caps Cup (because it never happened) :smugdog:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any lightning fans interested in some dumb 2004 memorabilia?

I unearthed these in the stuff I brought back from Florida and left in my parents' basement.

Price of shipping from Toronto I guess? Or if you're in Toronto for some inexplicable reason you can pick them up free. Just PM me.

I've also have some full page newspaper spreads from the SP-Times or T-Trib or whatever, basically a full page of Fedotenko celebrating. I left that in a box at my parents' place so I can't take a pic but you can have that too I guess. It's just going to go into the trash in a month or so.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 24, 2015

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Any lightning fans interested in some dumb 2004 memorabilia?

I unearthed these in the stuff I brought back from Florida and left in my parents' basement.

Price of shipping from Toronto I guess? Or if you're in Toronto for some inexplicable reason you can pick them up free. Just PM me.

I've also have some full page newspaper spreads from the SP-Times or T-Trib or whatever, basically a full page of Fedotenko celebrating. I left that in a box at my parents' place so I can't take a pic but you can have that too I guess. It's just going to go into the trash in a month or so.

Where does wonderlama live?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well he was posting form the TBL game so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Tampa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Well he was posting form the TBL game so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Tampa.

That's probably a good guess

• Locked thread