Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man, I just remember the mythbusters shot through two huge slabs of meat and fat and it still hit the ballistic gel.

Well yeah, it CAN be done with lots of ammo.

But not a .357 wad or hollow point. Those don't pierce, they shred the body on impact by fragmenting.

My :madmax: TACTICAL REALISM :madmax: stands.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Frankenstyle posted:

One of my first coherent thought after leaving the theater was "Good I lord want a two hour Mythbusters Fury Road special". Hell I could watch a season of them committing atrocities on high performance engines.

Immortan Joe, Bullet Farmer and People Eater for the new Top Gear crew

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Plus didn't someone upthread already suggest that the bullet farm is very plausibly doing lovely hand-reloads and/or digging up a cache of old & lovely bullets?

Speaking of lovely bullets/shells I liked that Max's go to was to try to shoot of Nux's forearm rather than shoot through the chain. Subtle callback to the ending of Mad Max?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

Plus didn't someone upthread already suggest that the bullet farm is very plausibly doing lovely hand-reloads and/or digging up a cache of old & lovely bullets?

Speaking of lovely bullets/shells I liked that Max's go to was to try to shoot of Nux's forearm rather than shoot through the chain. Subtle callback to the ending of Mad Max?

Two for one, because the shells also are duds, like in RW. :v:

Also, he holds up the Gyro Captain and Furiosa with an empty shotty.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Honestly there's only so many ways I've seen the post apocalypse rendered, and that storm was the first time I fundamentally realised how severely they had to have hosed up because THEY BROKE THE GOD DAMNED PLANET

To be fair, dust storms are not too uncommon in the outback, although they tend not to have electrical tornadoes and fiery death inside them either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tmYmeHf84
(coincidentally this is near Broken Hill, near the filming locations of Mad Max 2 (outside Silverton primarily))

And TopGear mag did a 10 page spread on some of the cars, nothing new really but still decent: http://imgur.com/Emfrtzt,pTlASSQ,5rJl1Bn,V0AHMhs,5SaW18x

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Steve Yun posted:

Question 2: Immortan Joe controls the food and water, and uses religion to control his people. What does he represent? Do all three leaders represent the patriarchy or is that primarily Joe's symbolism?[/spoiler]

It seems to me that to put it broadly, Joe represents authoritarian power structures, i.e. religion, the patriarchy, etc.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Big Business Republican (People Eater), and the War Profiteer Republican (Bullet Farmer), really don't seem to respect the Religion Republican (Joe), but keep him around and help him out because he's an integral part of the machine.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Joe definitely represents the patriarchy at large, IMO. As evidenced by his entire relentless pursuit of Furiosa, he's willing to sacrifice enormous resources (fuel, bullets, war boys, vehicles) strictly for the sake of getting back the women he controls. Add to that, too, his apparent obsession with having a male successor, his selectivity when it comes to his "brides," and the fact that his number two resource after Aqua Cola is milk sourced from women treated more or less like livestock. (He also tries to keep women subservient by surrounding them with trappings most people in the Citadel would find pretty luxurious -- books, clean shelter, a fresh spring. Like Eve Ensler said re: the movie, the brides are "women who are willing to give up enslaved comfort for liberation and risk death to do it.") Even Joe's religious/cult following is steeped entirely in violent, toxic, hypermasculinity.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
It's trivially clear that Joe represents Vriska.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But not a .357 wad or hollow point. Those don't pierce, they shred the body on impact by fragmenting.

I was gonna mention something about them being 45colt but just learned they make modern ones in 357mag. Huh.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

whatever7 posted:

I watched it again yesterday with my wife. I am going to go ahead and move it pass Die Hard and rate it 2nd best action movie of all time. I am a big Cameron fan. I have a special place in my heart for Aliens.
I think this is the best action movie since T2.

I watched it for a second time today and while I wasn't blown away like the first viewing a week ago I still engrossed with the spectacle. I will watch this again on the big screen and will buy the Blu Ray. It's the best cultural achievement my country has to offer.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The one thing in this movie I didn't really get was during the climax, when Furiosa says to Joe "Remember me?" because it's like yes he remembers you, you're his number one general. I think they were trying to imply that she'd been taken from the Green Place to be one of his wives, but that specific line doesn't make sense given what we can assume about their present relationship. The film's aversion to exposition works really well otherwise, it's just that one line that creates a rub between Furiosa is taken from the Green Place and Furiosa becoming an Imperator.

I also liked that they didn't feel the need to spell out what Furiosa was seeking redemption for; it trusts us to understand that working for Immortan Joe implied a lot of horrible poo poo, as well as being implicit in holding up a massively exploitative society. She has to free the wives because her existence as Imperator, at least in part, is what's keeping them in captivity.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
A guy on my facebook is ranting that this movie is terrible, because the violence was sanitized on behalf of conservatives and the christian family. "WHERE'S ALL THE GORE?"

I need to meet better people, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 25, 2015

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

yikes

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
This is the first time I've payed to see a movie more than once, and I'll probably see it a third time in with Dbox if I get the time. loving great!

One thing I don't get is that Furiosa said she had made the trip many times, and that since she was now an imperator this was the best/final time she'd be able to make the run.

Why then does she seem so clueless about the greenplace? It didn't sound like she was talking about marauding the same path or anything, like she had transported people before, who then? Other wives? Commoners?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 25, 2015

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
The impression I got from that dialogue exchange was that she hadn't literally made a run all the way out to the supposed Green Place before, but rather that she'd made trips into the wasteland and been in gunfights/etc. before. Driving the rig is a huge responsibility (it was the first thing Nux said he wanted as a reward for capturing Furiosa), so she'd probably been on a lot of dangerous missions and smaller supply runs while she worked her way up the ranks to that point. (Plus, we can guess that she's been at least as far as the canyon before all by herself, because she'd have had to go out there to set up the trade with the bike gang without anyone else knowing.)

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

dik-dik posted:

Also where are y'all getting these sweet Fury Road gifs for avs? I need one.

Making them, I assume.

Or gently caress it, waiting for some dude with a day off and a Fury Road fixation throw some out there for grabs.

Here's some with varying degrees of effort put in. IT'S A GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE AT CRAZY TERMINALBLUE'S DISCOUNT AVATAR WAREHOUSE*

"Is that just the wind? Or is it a furious fixation?"

GET HYPE MORSOV GET HYPE

and for the old school:

tactical realism

EDIT: And speaking of Mel, HAHAHA

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TerminalBlue posted:

I remain unable to shut the gently caress up about Mad Max: Fury Road. Goddamn it.

pretty much all my gf and I have been able to think about since first viewing. Saw it for the second time last night; it was her third. I got even more out of it the second time, honestly.

I think the reason it's so good is partially because things are kept simple yet subtle. So many movies overcomplicate poo poo with miles of exposition or explanations instead of just showing us things, doing them. This is so much better than "Marvel Origin Movie #99"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Remember Me?"

She was supposed to be dead. Rictus beat her and she was thought dead. She creeped up from the side to surprise him. She's basically saying "Surprise, dickbag!" before robo-handing his face off.

It has gently caress all to do with their history together.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I got even more out of it the second time, honestly.

Same here, really. I was also pretty tired the first time I saw it, but it was nice to be able to just sorta relax into my seat and take it all in without being totally overwhelmed(in the best kind of way).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

"Remember Me?"

She was supposed to be dead. Rictus beat her and she was thought dead. She creeped up from the side to surprise him. She's basically saying "Surprise, dickbag!" before robo-handing his face off.

It has gently caress all to do with their history together.

yeah but Joe knew she was there and he wouldn't have been surprised, he was attempting to get his arm free to shoot her off the side of his vehicle..

I prefer the interpretation that the expression is the culmination of Furiosa reclaiming her identity that existed prior to being kidnapped, tortured and press-ganged into service by Joe.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 25, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I was thinking she said it because she was now the Furiosa that they kidnapped in the wasteland all those years ago: lethal, wild, and free. She's exacting retribution on Joe's entire army, and redeeming herself for her past. "Remember me?" Implies not that she thinks Joe has Alzheimers, but that she has returned to a state which hasn't been seen in a long time. It made perfect sense to me the first time through so I didn't actually recall what you guys were talking about until I saw it again last night, haha.

edit: Speaking of which, brought my girlfriend to see it after she skipped out on premiere night. I figured, before seeing it myself, that she wouldn't like it; this is a big action movie, she likes saccharine rom-coms and Hugh Jackman being British. But I knew I couldn't do her the injustice of seeing this masterpiece in theaters, so we went last night and she was absolutely awestruck. Just giddy, it was amazing.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 25, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I'm kind of not understand how people still think she's wording it like a question when she's clearly not. She's TELLING HIM that she is the most badass warrior in his entire group because she's about to destroy him. More than any of the war boys screaming "WITNESS!" she at that second becomes a legend and will live forever in the memories of the people she's lifting up.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How's this film being doing in the box office? Good enough that we could get George Miller to do one more gasoline extravaganza before he retires, or at least show Hollywood insane practical effects have their place?

Personal experience I know but its been out for more than a week here in Ireland and tons of people still seem to be piling into the cinema to see it. Comparatively when I went to see Age of Ultron (most of which I forgot 10 minutes after it ended) a week after it was released the theater was a ghost town.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

khwarezm posted:

How's this film being doing in the box office? Good enough that we could get George Miller to do one more gasoline extravaganza before he retires, or at least show Hollywood insane practical effects have their place?

Personal experience I know but its been out for more than a week here in Ireland and tons of people still seem to be piling into the cinema to see it. Comparatively when I went to see Age of Ultron (most of which I forgot 10 minutes after it ended) a week after it was released the theater was a ghost town.

It's done alright in America, and really, really well in foreign markets. It seems like if he wants to do another one, he'll probably get to do another one. Basically it's made as much, if not more, than Batman Begins did at this point.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

TheJoker138 posted:

It's done alright in America, and really, really well in foreign markets. It seems like if he wants to do another one, he'll probably get to do another one. Basically it's made as much, if not more, than Batman Begins did at this point.

I believe it wasn't slated to open in Japan until the 20th and China... um, sometime later? Those are both huge markets for American movies and the latest box office figures probably don't include them. It's dodgy to get international grosses in a timeframe of less than a week after the fact.

Anyway, yeah, it's doing just fine and it'd be amazing if they haven't already okayed a sequel.

Though I have some pitchforks and enough guzzoline to get the battlewagon to the WB lot just in case.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TerminalBlue posted:

I believe it wasn't slated to open in Japan until the 20th and China... um, sometime later? Those are both huge markets for American movies and the latest box office figures probably don't include them. It's dodgy to get international grosses in a timeframe of less than a week after the fact.

Anyway, yeah, it's doing just fine and it'd be amazing if they haven't already okayed a sequel.

Though I have some pitchforks and enough guzzoline to get the battlewagon to the WB lot just in case.

If this somehow became Dredd 2.0, with it not making enough money for a sequel, I'd be so sad.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DStecks posted:

The one thing in this movie I didn't really get was during the climax, when Furiosa says to Joe "Remember me?" because it's like yes he remembers you, you're his number one general. I think they were trying to imply that she'd been taken from the Green Place to be one of his wives, but that specific line doesn't make sense given what we can assume about their present relationship. The film's aversion to exposition works really well otherwise, it's just that one line that creates a rub between Furiosa is taken from the Green Place and Furiosa becoming an Imperator.

I also liked that they didn't feel the need to spell out what Furiosa was seeking redemption for; it trusts us to understand that working for Immortan Joe implied a lot of horrible poo poo, as well as being implicit in holding up a massively exploitative society. She has to free the wives because her existence as Imperator, at least in part, is what's keeping them in captivity.

Did she really say "remember me" as a question? I thought it sounded more like a command, like she was inverting his 'witness me' cult to 'remember' what Furiosa is doing.

Joe is *this* small.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

TheJoker138 posted:

If this somehow became Dredd 2.0, with it not making enough money for a sequel, I'd be so sad.

With a $135 million worldwide gross in the first 8 days of a $150 million dollar film? Nope. If there's no sequel, it's gonna be for reasons other than money.

And then motherfuckers gonna hang. I will not abide a Dredd 2.0, not on my watch, no sir.

effectual posted:

Joe is *this* small.

"I'm crushing your warband. Schlanger."

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 25, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

effectual posted:

Did she really say "remember me" as a question? I thought it sounded more like a command, like she was inverting his 'witness me' cult to 'remember' what Furiosa is doing.

I don't know. The theatre I saw it at has speakers that muddy the audio a bit, so like a quarter of the dialogue I couldn't make out at all. Like I do not remember ever hearing the words "witness me".

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They need to hurry up and air the promo/trailer/whatever that they filmed before the Sydney premier:
https://www.facebook.com/7newssydne...25303804160419/

Then they need to upgrade the bullbars on the war rig for future films:

TerminalBlue posted:

"I'm crushing your warband. Slanger."

*Schlanger. As in Schlang, more commonly schlong. Penis.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

drunkill posted:

Then they need to upgrade the bullbars on the war rig for future films:

Mmh. It doesn't look anything like three war rigs welded together side by side, and it's most certainly not on fire, so I'm going to hold off on calling that car sequel material.

drunkill posted:

*Schlanger. As in Schlang, more commonly schlong. Penis.

Noted!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

effectual posted:

I think this is exactly it. The main theme of the film is "people are not things". Joe sees people only as things, which is what makes him evil. The Warboys hope to be witnessed by Joe, but they are as forgettable and disposable to him as any other weapon.

So instead of killing herself and hoping to be remembered as a loyal weapon, Furiosa commands him to remember her as an individual , and murders him.

I really like that this film can generate this type of discussion while also being the best action film I have ever seen. I think I'll see it a third time before it leaves theaters.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 25, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I really can't imagine a car being more badass than the GigaHorse.

Once you've made a twin-V8 double decker cadillac monster truck, where do you go from there?

Although I would love to see a 73 Riviera or some other distinct land yacht chopped into a rat rod. The possibilities with small cars is limitless.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Once you've made a twin-V8 double decker cadillac monster truck, where do you go from there?
Triple-decker?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I really like that this film can generate this type of discussion while also being the best action film I have ever seen. I think I'll see it a third time before it leaves theaters.

I haven't seen the film yet (waiting for a friend to have some spare time available), but I'm glad to hear that the film is managing to be awesome on a surface level, have solid depth worth discussing, show off how great practical effects can still be, AND manage to be liked by Cinema Discusso.

For a while it's felt like CineD has actively loathed films that are entertaining on a surface level, and praised films that have wedged itself far up its own message's rear end (with little regard towards adapting said message and being understood by the average moviegoer). It's pleasant to have a thread 100% discussing a movie, instead of justifying a movie.

I loved the first three Mad Max films, and after seeing all the positive responses i'm sure that this is going to be just as awesome of a movie experience.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

Apparently he's already written sequels, so odds are that they're going to get made sooner rather than later.

The more I read about this movie the more impressed I am by it. There's so much detail in everything - all of the cars were custom made to fit the personality of the person who drives them, every character has some sort of backstory. I think that level of craft is why everything in the movie is so insane yet at the same time just kind of feels like it makes sense - there are REASONS for all the insane stuff, and even if you're never told those reasons, the fact that they exist is what makes everything fit together. One of the best examples I read was the production designer's description of Immortan Joe's car, which was essentially two cadillacs welded together: "In a world where nobody has even one of anything, it seemed a fait accompli that he would have a pair of 1959 coupe DeVilles" That little detail alone goes so far to telling you what kind of person Joe is, and ALL of the cars are like that.

Also apparently the Doof Warrior's rig was fully functional. That seems like it would be a pretty amazing concert prop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Where do you go when you can't create a more badass ride?

There's only one answer.

YOU BECOME THE RIDE!!!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I keep seeing this image pop up, and that apears to be a real f1 paddock so I haven't looked into it further to find info. My gut thought is that's a poo poo load of effort just to make it without a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

It came from facebook - "as a writer how do you feel about the lack of character development? My biggest problem with the movie is that Max is not a character I can identify with anymore and none of the others were fleshed out to the point where I made a connection with any of them. Even Furiosa at the Green Place did not invoke any specific feelings of loss in me. It was a fun movie for what it was but I would have liked a bit more plot. (Also better sound mixing I couldn't understand a word said for the first hour or so)"

Like, I'm not even convinced these people saw the same movie I did. How can someone be this loving dense?

• Locked thread