Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's how physics works right.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
It's an alpha, come on you guys...

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Hey, why isn't this funded yet? Here the kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1420158244/power-drive-2000

I mean, I guess it's pretty niche and stylized arcadey racing games aren't really a huge draw -- but come on. Has there a been a radder game? One of the only times I've been tempted by a soundtrack tier, but that's because Retrowave in general makes me feel some sort of tingly sensation all over might be joy if I were still capable of the emotion.

The aesthetic is fantastic, but if the final result of the driving model is anything like the public alpha/beta/whatever Joe linked earlier I'm not interested. It's just kind of dull.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

chiefnewo posted:

The aesthetic is fantastic, but if the final result of the driving model is anything like the public alpha/beta/whatever Joe linked earlier I'm not interested. It's just kind of dull.

The aesthetic is cool but has been done before and the actual driving game in the videos looks like dogshit.

e: as an alpha it should have some core systems like:

* other vehicles or road obstacles
* at least one USP (Unique Selling Point) in rough implementation (and an aesthetic that is partially duplicated by other indie racing kickstarter games doesn't count)

But instead it's a lonely car driving on empty, uninspired tracks.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 26, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

I unironically say God bless evilmiera, indies literally depend on guys like him who are willing to put their wallet where their heart is, I'm not sure I'm making any sense. You're doing the Lord's work, my man.

It's kind of funny how evilmiera is endangering his own wellbeing on pointless expenses but also very sad and I don't think the kickstarter games thread should be enabling this mentally ill behavior. That's what the awful kickstarter thread is for

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Did I miss discussion on the Arduboy?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903888394/arduboy-card-sized-gaming/description

Bringing 8 bit gaming back to the 21st century, etc. I'm not quite sure what the draw is when everyone has cell phones anyway that can play games aside from tiny black and white versions of not-Space Invaders and not-Mario.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

monster on a stick posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903888394/arduboy-card-sized-gaming/description

Bringing 8 bit gaming back to the 21st century, etc. I'm not quite sure what the draw is when everyone has cell phones anyway that can play games aside from tiny black and white versions of not-Space Invaders and not-Mario.

Just to be clear, it's basically less capable and the same resolution more or less as the graphing calculators you put Tetris on back in middle school.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The big difference between this and the Ouya-likes is that they are correctly pitching this towards hobbyists making games, with their distribution being based on free games and the emphasis on education, and aren't blowing hot air about how it's going to revolutionise games or trying to sign on major developers.

Really my main gripe about it is how teeny tiny those Arduboys are. I know it's a cost trade-off but it looks like it would be a strain on both the eyes and hands to use one of those things.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's kind of funny how evilmiera is endangering his own wellbeing on pointless expenses but also very sad and I don't think the kickstarter games thread should be enabling this mentally ill behavior. That's what the awful kickstarter thread is for

I was also someone that just assumed he was being jokey at first but now I'm feeling Hero-U/Cole levels of pity and visceral :gonk:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mr Underhill posted:

If I wanted to play a physics puzzle platformer, I'd go on Kongregate.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'll be honest I'm also kinda underwhelmed by the Power Drive 2000 demo, even discounting the fact that it never runs above 20 FPS. It really feels like the guy behind it should have taken a lot more time into polishing up his demo and have it ready for primetime before launching the kickstarter.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So Bloodstained officially announced the Wii U port. It'll be developed by Armature Studios, made up of former Metroid Prime devs- which is a pretty solid resume to bring to the table.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

E: Curse you, double-clicking mouse :argh:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Trapezium Dave posted:

The big difference between this and the Ouya-likes is that they are correctly pitching this towards hobbyists making games, with their distribution being based on free games and the emphasis on education, and aren't blowing hot air about how it's going to revolutionise games or trying to sign on major developers.

Really my main gripe about it is how teeny tiny those Arduboys are. I know it's a cost trade-off but it looks like it would be a strain on both the eyes and hands to use one of those things.
Yeah, I've only glanced at the pitch but it sounds like a really nice way of teaching kids about programming. Instead of taking the Raspberry Pi approach and giving them a cheap modern-ish system built up on so many layers of abstraction that no one person is familiar with all of them, give them something more like the old Sinclair Spectrums where they can learn every aspect of how the system works and bend it to their will. It might not be the best way of doing it (really not my area of expertise), but it's definitely one that worked for a lot of people back in the 80s.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, I've only glanced at the pitch but it sounds like a really nice way of teaching kids about programming. Instead of taking the Raspberry Pi approach and giving them a cheap modern-ish system built up on so many layers of abstraction that no one person is familiar with all of them, give them something more like the old Sinclair Spectrums where they can learn every aspect of how the system works and bend it to their will. It might not be the best way of doing it (really not my area of expertise), but it's definitely one that worked for a lot of people back in the 80s.

No, it doesn't really do that. Also that method of teaching doesn't work well, because the skills are often completely different from what you'd need to get a real computer job. The Raspberry Pi is also terrible at actually teaching programming for the same reason as this though: it's an utterly weird architecture with little relevance to more common programming situations. It also didn't work in the 80s, for that matter, most of the people who got anywhere after that time got into real high level languages.

Essentially this and projects like this are cargo-culting what they vaguely remember "learning computers" being like, when in reality something like the RPi is most useful as a cheap media playback device or way to gently caress around with non-computer gadgets with computer control. This doesn't even really have that going for it, its gimmick is that it's basically a way tiny TI-83 but you don't have as many buttons to work with.

You could in theory use it in a good programming course, but that would require someone who knows something about teaching programming to actually prepare and teach such a course. Just like how most people with crappy computers in the 80s simply ran other people's code from cassette/cartridge/disk or typed in other people's code from paper listings, it can't really teach much as it is, and generic user-created tutorials probably won't either. And even still, especially in a school environment, the kids would get more out of it if you just used the computers the school already has. If you really need hardware level access for the they can even use virtual machines on the regular computer!

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 27, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
any conceivable benefit of the programmable gameboy thing needs to be weighed against the fact that all hardware kickstarters are doomed to failure

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Underhill posted:

it looks boring, unfun and devoid of original ideas. an alpha is supposed to be the thing that shows your core game and its mechanics, not some sexy PNGs glued to the havok physics engine

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, it doesn't really do that. Also that method of teaching doesn't work well, because the skills are often completely different from what you'd need to get a real computer job. The Raspberry Pi is also terrible at actually teaching programming for the same reason as this though: it's an utterly weird architecture with little relevance to more common programming situations. It also didn't work in the 80s, for that matter, most of the people who got anywhere after that time got into real high level languages.

Essentially this and projects like this are cargo-culting what they vaguely remember "learning computers" being like, when in reality something like the RPi is most useful as a cheap media playback device or way to gently caress around with non-computer gadgets with computer control. This doesn't even really have that going for it, its gimmick is that it's basically a way tiny TI-83 but you don't have as many buttons to work with.
Just to be clear: I meant less teaching sixth formers marketable skills and more teaching younger children (10-14 or so I guess) that hacking together your own stuff can be pretty fun. Obviously being good with some weird branch of assembly is almost useless from the point of view of (e.g.) object-oriented programming, modern scripting languages, or writing code that doesn't make your coworkers plot to kill you in your sleep.

(Sadly it would still put you head and shoulders above a lot of people applying for computer science courses at university, though - in a lot of places the norm is to have no coding experience at all.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pumpinglemma posted:

Just to be clear: I meant less teaching sixth formers marketable skills and more teaching younger children (10-14 or so I guess) that hacking together your own stuff can be pretty fun. Obviously being good with some weird branch of assembly is almost useless from the point of view of (e.g.) object-oriented programming, modern scripting languages, or writing code that doesn't make your coworkers plot to kill you in your sleep.

(Sadly it would still put you head and shoulders above a lot of people applying for computer science courses at university, though - in a lot of places the norm is to have no coding experience at all.)

Honestly for that I'd recommend setting them loose with site license RPG Maker and Game Maker after a short course on "here's how to make your placeholder art Not The Worst". Or even that old standby of LOGO and learning how to make the turtle draw a swear word.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pumpinglemma posted:

Isn't this the entire point of 100-level courses, though? Gotta start somewhere.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DolphinCop posted:

any conceivable benefit of the programmable gameboy thing needs to be weighed against the fact that all hardware kickstarters are doomed to failure

All minus one - the Ouya took a whole bunch of people's money so that we could all learn that they don't work. Ouya has failed since, sure, but its KS campaign was a success.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish there was a kickstarter that figured out some way to get use out of all the obsolete hardware rich nerds throw out every year.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Honestly for that I'd recommend setting them loose with site license RPG Maker and Game Maker after a short course on "here's how to make your placeholder art Not The Worst". Or even that old standby of LOGO and learning how to make the turtle draw a swear word.
There is something to having a non-computer device for extra engagement. But again, I'm not sure what a little gameboy like device brings in that regard. If I were teaching IT at high school I'd rather go more towards robotics, where you can use something like Lego Mindstorms and the level of programming is more accessible (basically LOGO turtle level).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

If you give one of these to a 10-14 year old they are going to rightfully consider you an idiot. The real target market here is "maker culture" groupies and adults with too much disposable income.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It seems more nostalgia-focused than anything that would appeal to modern kids. Kids now would just want to make an app for their mobile device. I mean, I'm sure there are kids who would get a kick out of it, but I'm talking generalities.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

If you give one of these to a 10-14 year old they are going to rightfully consider you an idiot. The real target market here is "maker culture" groupies and adults with too much disposable income.
I really wish they hit that market square on because that is totally my kind of thing. :v:
However they seem to be trying to go in-between solo hobbyist devs and education and missing both.

If this thing was twice the price but had closer specs and make to a Gameboy Color, along with some guarantee that anyone who is moderately competent in C could throw together a working version of Tetris from scratch in a lazy weekend, then I'd be tempted to plonk down the cash. Instead with the cheap tiny device they have there isn't anything that screams to me "wouldn't it be fun to make and play on this".

Edit: Like, if this is for the home hobbyists, why is it a handheld? Who is going to be taking this thing with them?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's cute.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Actually now you mention it it does look perfect for putting your own Tamagochi code on...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Squad Kickstarter is live - it's the spiritual successor to Project Reality 2, the BF2 mod. It's got a lot of money so far I think.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Memento posted:

All minus one - the Ouya took a whole bunch of people's money so that we could all learn that they don't work. Ouya has failed since, sure, but its KS campaign was a success.

Also they kept raising money from Angel Investors, at some point you have to wonder if they'd managed to trick someone else into holding majority share.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

This looks too small, both in terms of screen size/resolution and in terms of controls. They should've just straight up copied the NES resolution/color scheme and picked something closer to maybe Game Boy Pocket or GBA SP size but thinner.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Squad Kickstarter is live - it's the spiritual successor to Project Reality 2, the BF2 mod. It's got a lot of money so far I think.

Is this the first military shooter on Kickstarter? It just seems like such a non-Kickstarter-y game to pitch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I will do my best to keep this away from one of my friends who is a bit too much into Project Reality. I mean, I want them to succeed, but the last time he started playing this we didn't hear from him for 3 months.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 27, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

:barf:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Project Reality was a real quality mod and it seems like the guys have a solid foundation and plan. It's not my type of game but I hope it works out well for them.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
Man, the bit where dorky american voices come out of angry arab terrorist models set to sad piano music is really strange.

Dr Solway Garr fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 27, 2015

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Who said you can't make a game for 100 euros?!

I really wish people weren't belittling their work like this. It's bad for devs, bad for players, bad for everyone.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Who said you can't make a game for 100 euros?!

I really wish people weren't belittling their work like this. It's bad for devs, bad for players, bad for everyone.
There have been a whole bunch of Shadows of Esteren RPG book kickstarters in the past and they've all got between $50K -$150K. Why is this French game asking for 100 euros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

There have been a whole bunch of Shadows of Esteren RPG book kickstarters in the past and they've all got between $50K -$150K. Why is this French game asking for 100 euros?

I think they're only asking for money to pay someone to translate it to English? It's still weird, though. I asked them in the comments.