Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Don Lapre posted:

Welp, with ebay 10% back in ebay bucks and 1% cashback from fatwallet couldn't resist grabbing a titan x.

Grats, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KakerMix posted:

Grats, it owns

I wish someone would get EVGAs hybrid cooler in stock. Amazon shows 1-2months.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I think someone in this thread posted a link to a lengthy rant on another forum about how complicated driver maintainance was, how much guess work there was in application/driver interactions and why this lead to Vulkan/DX12. Does anyone have a link to that? I looked a bit but I feel like its been lost to the sea of posts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Don Lapre posted:

I wish someone would get EVGAs hybrid cooler in stock. Amazon shows 1-2months.

The vram gets way hot though, wouldn't the aio ignore that aspect or am I missing something? I was planning on going full water when I got unlazy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KakerMix posted:

The vram gets way hot though, wouldn't the aio ignore that aspect or am I missing something? I was planning on going full water when I got unlazy.

The hybrid cooler keeps the stock fan and gives you a new shroud. So your midplate stays and still gets cooled.

Says 980 but fits the titanX perfectly. They apparently have a titan x branded version coming out

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
I don't know much about how pricing for this kind of stuff works.
Are the prices of normal GTX 980s likely to drop when the TI is released?

I want to get one for my DK2 as my R9 280 is just on the edge of being too weak.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm in the process of choosing which brand of 970 to buy. I hope this is still the sane thing to do with all these new stuff you guys talking about?

Anyway I can choose between several brands and was wondering if any was better than the other?

- ASUS
- MSI
- EVGA
- EVGA (Superclocked ?!)
- Gainward
- Gigabyte
- Zotac
- Zotac (Extreme Core Edition :eyepop:)
- Zotac (Omega Core Edition :okpos:)

Should I just go with the cheapest? Which is the EVGA.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
MSI > Asus > Gigabyte > EVGA > Zotac/Gainward.

The better versions are likely to have better cooling and are more likely to be factory OC'd.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Le0 posted:

I'm in the process of choosing which brand of 970 to buy. I hope this is still the sane thing to do with all these new stuff you guys talking about?

Anyway I can choose between several brands and was wondering if any was better than the other?

- ASUS
- MSI
- EVGA
- EVGA (Superclocked ?!)
- Gainward
- Gigabyte
- Zotac
- Zotac (Extreme Core Edition :eyepop:)
- Zotac (Omega Core Edition :okpos:)

Should I just go with the cheapest? Which is the EVGA.

I'm selling a Gigabyte 970 here, if price was an issue for you.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ragingsheep posted:

MSI > Asus > Gigabyte > EVGA > Zotac/Gainward.

The better versions are likely to have better cooling and are more likely to be factory OC'd.

Oki MSI it is then, it's not that much more expensive than the rest.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm selling a Gigabyte 970 here, if price was an issue for you.

Thanks but I'd rather buy it new, also I'm from Europe and I guess it's easier for warranties issues etc..

My old GPU required 500W of power from the specification and I saw that the 970 also requires that amount of power so I guess I'm fine from PSU point of view, no need to change anything right?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Le0 posted:

Oki MSI it is then, it's not that much more expensive than the rest.

Thanks but I'd rather buy it new, also I'm from Europe and I guess it's easier for warranties issues etc..

My old GPU required 500W of power from the specification and I saw that the 970 also requires that amount of power so I guess I'm fine from PSU point of view, no need to change anything right?

GPU power requirements are substantially over inflated as a safeguard against people using low quality power supplies that would explode if they tried to actually draw the power they are rated for. Assuming you have a good quality power supply, and a typical intel based system, 450w would be perfectly adequate.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Le0 posted:

No worries. I hadn't posted about my card in the thread yet.

Relatively speaking in proportion to how powerful it is, the GTX 970 actually sips power at 145W or so. That 500W of power is an arbitrary estimate for an entire system, you're just fine. The only thing to recommend regarding PSUs (unrelated to GPUs) is to get a new one in several years, and avoid PSUs that retail for cheap or come free with computer cases. (beaten by above poster!)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Lord Bude posted:

GPU power requirements are substantially over inflated as a safeguard against people using low quality power supplies that would explode if they tried to actually draw the power they are rated for. Assuming you have a good quality power supply, and a typical intel based system, 450w would be perfectly adequate.

Yeah, I remarkably overspent on my last PSU because I like them being a component that I can grandfather over to the next build, which is the *only* reason that in late 2011 I spent the better part of 300 bucks on a Seasonic 1kW Platinum...which about two and a half years later developed a propensity for not wanting to turn my computer on unless it was given ample discharge time. Thankfully nearly $300 buys you a seven year warranty...and the same PSU today costs like $150.

It's being remarkably underutilized with my 4.4Ghz 2500K, 2 SSD/1 HDD, 1x 970 system, but before this I ran twin 560/448s in SLI, which I'm guessing at least gave the PSU something to give it a sprint at load.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 26, 2015

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

MrAptronym posted:

I think someone in this thread posted a link to a lengthy rant on another forum about how complicated driver maintainance was, how much guess work there was in application/driver interactions and why this lead to Vulkan/DX12. Does anyone have a link to that? I looked a bit but I feel like its been lost to the sea of posts.

This'd be it, http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Yes, that's it! Thanks so much!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Last question:

Noticed my mobo is PCI express 2.0 x 16 but the GPU can do 3.0 apparently.
Is the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 significant?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Le0 posted:

Last question:

No. It sounds to me like you're on a Z68 but have a 2500 or 2600K. The 'Gen 3' boards can only do PCIe 3.0 with an Ivy Bridge chip plugged in. I learned that the hard way too. Saw you have a P55. Never mind.

Current top-end GPUs don't even flirt with saturating the PCIe 3.0 bus at x16.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Le0 posted:

Last question:

2.0 x16 is equivalent to 3.0 x8 (what you'd be doing if you were using two GPUs on a 3.0 board) - the bandwidth is high enough not to hinder the GPU. In fact even at 2.0 x8 you wouldn't see a difference.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Awesome guys, thanks for the info, you guys know your poo poo!
Time to order

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Knight007au posted:

I don't know much about how pricing for this kind of stuff works.
Are the prices of normal GTX 980s likely to drop when the TI is released?

I want to get one for my DK2 as my R9 280 is just on the edge of being too weak.

I wouldn't count on it. Its a distinct card in the lineup and not meant to replace or push anything else. The 980 could stand to lose a few dollars though so...

But generally speaking I wouldn't expect much of a price drop if any this early on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its not like nvidia is having any problem selling all the cards right now

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The 980ti looks great (and my 780ti is still mostly holding) but I'm reading a lot of conflicting rumors regarding the release date. Is the general consensus still that it will be out in 2016? My personal guess is it'll be released around kneecapping whatever AMD puts out. I think I might just pick up a Titan if it won't be out for a few months...especially since I see myself wanting to guarantee stable frame rates for the Rift when it comes out and my eventual move to the next generation of 4K monitors. I recently made the move to 3440x1440 and am running into some limits with the RAM on the 780ti and missing the stability of max frame rates for games like GTA V.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Incredulous Dylan posted:

The 980ti looks great (and my 780ti is still mostly holding) but I'm reading a lot of conflicting rumors regarding the release date. Is the general consensus still that it will be out in 2016? My personal guess is it'll be released around kneecapping whatever AMD puts out. I think I might just pick up a Titan if it won't be out for a few months...especially since I see myself wanting to guarantee stable frame rates for the Rift when it comes out and my eventual move to the next generation of 4K monitors. I recently made the move to 3440x1440 and am running into some limits with the RAM on the 780ti and missing the stability of max frame rates for games like GTA V.

Id expect the 980ti to be out in a few weeks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
980Ti is likely to be the counterlaunch to whatever the hell AMD's coming out with.

When will that be? Allow me to borrow a trope from the Star Citizen thread: Two weeks.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

980Ti is likely to be the counterlaunch to whatever the hell AMD's coming out with.

When will that be? Allow me to borrow a trope from the Star Citizen thread: Two weeks.

AMD's launch will almost certainly be at Computex Taipei, June 1-6. Though there's still a question of how much of a paper launch it will be.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cool. Beats waiting 6 months.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rastor posted:

AMD's launch will almost certainly be at Computex Taipei, June 1-6. Though there's still a question of how much of a paper launch it will be.

Exactly. Two Weeks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So when are we going to see DP1.3 capable GPUs?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
June is gonna be so fun.
German computerbase rumors have the 390X as a 8GB GDDR5 Hawaii card, Fiji is supposed to be presented later, maybe E3 who knows.
Also 980ti :allears:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I did it.

I bought the MSI 970. Upgrading from a 650ti Boost.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So when are we going to see DP1.3 capable GPUs?

If the 390X had it, AMD would've leaked it by now, and I highly doubt seeing as the 980 Ti is just a Titan X with half the buffer that they'll add it there. Pascal would likely be the best guess. Also, AMD is likely to stick with 1.2a for a while because of Freesync.

The first 'GPU' that will support it will be the iGPUs that come on Skylake chips.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

June is gonna be so fun.
German computerbase rumors have the 390X as a 8GB GDDR5 Hawaii card, Fiji is supposed to be presented later, maybe E3 who knows.
Also 980ti :allears:

E3 is in June though.

WCCFtech is running the same story - 390X is GDDR5 and Fiji is the Titan equivalent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

89 posted:

I did it.

Best strap in.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

89 posted:

I did it.

Wow, that's gonna be a bit of a step up for sure. Congratulations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:gonk: wow at 390x rebrand

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
waiting for 5k dp 1.3 displays for true retina displaying

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

:gonk: wow at 390x rebrand

God dammit. God dammit god dammit god dammit.

I was really holding out for something new and shiny by AMD this generation but now I don't even care anymore. As much as I like my 290, it's a generation old now and somehow still AMD's flagship loving chip.

loving hell, team red. Is someone over there in charge just giving up on being competitive with Nvidia? Because I'm about to just give up on giving you money next time I need an upgrade.

E: l hope AMD at least gets snappy with their Titan killer naming. Olympia, perhaps?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
At the beginning of the year I figured the 380, 390, and 390x would all be new stuff with HBM. It was disappointing enough to learn the 390x was the only new thing, along with the rumored way-over-$700 pricetag. Now this is just mega ultra lame and I didn't even want one. I was just curious about HBM and wanted to see it in as much ... accessible stuff as possible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Oh god, if the 3xx series is rebrands from top to bottom, I don't even know what to say. It will further butcher their reputation. Far worse than simply letting the 2xx series linger for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You would almost think that AMD is trying to run themselves right into the ground and through the ocean floor with the decisions they're making. It sucks to be a bit of an underperforming underdog but they're not even doing what half-head management consultants would suggest anymore. I suspect they really have conceded that the only people left buying their stuff are just Intel haters or completely uninformed "enthusiasts" that are being paid by their marketing folks to give passable reviews.