Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Roundboy posted:

While I can't offer you too many specifics without knowing your db setup, the answer is almost all universally powershell.

Its most likely not a direct table updates AD, but power she'll being the middle man to pull info and apply.

Someone on my team just wrote something like this in Powershell for our company last week, so I can confirm this is a good approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm pretty sure it's option 1. Are there any indexes involved? Like an index on Data for the stamp column?

Yes. There is an index on stamp, col1

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Agrikk posted:

Yes. There is an index on stamp, col1

Yeah, do option 1.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

Someone on my team just wrote something like this in Powershell for our company last week, so I can confirm this is a good approach.

Powershell, you say? I've been meaning to learn how that works so ... good. The current setup makes far too much use of xp_cmdshell for my liking. Thanks all!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm not sure the terminology for what I'm looking for - possibly agile tables?

Basically, me and another guy are building a web form with .NET (MVC 4 IntraNet site) and we want to build it with "changes" in mind. We will receive an initial form layout, but I know they're going to change the amount of drop downs/checkboxes/free-text areas and so on.

Do I build a table with the expectation that 1 row is one form input, or multiple tables? I could easily insert another column in a table if they add more questions, but that doesn't seem right. If I do multiple tables, I'll have to factor in PK for each, as they want to be able to edit these as they fill them in over the course of a few days.

TL;DR - I just want to be able to add more columns to the table structures in the future and not have it be a big ordeal to do so, but I'm unsure of what I'm looking for. I'd prefer to keep the columns in order that the form follows, so things don't get out of whack when referencing them. IE: Section1Dropdown1 is the same between the table and the form.

kloa fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 27, 2015

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

kloa posted:

I'm not sure the terminology for what I'm looking for - possibly agile tables?
It's generally called "database design", and it's typically somewhat unrelated to whatever business and/or development methodology you aspire.

quote:

... We will receive an initial form layout, but I know they're going to change the amount of drop downs/checkboxes/free-text areas and so on.

Do I build a table with the expectation that 1 row is one form input, or multiple tables? I could easily insert another column in a table if they add more questions, but that doesn't seem right. If I do multiple tables, I'll have to factor in PK for each, as they want to be able to edit these as they fill them in over the course of a few days.
Your tables should be designed based on proper modeling of the data, not necessarily on the number or type of forms you provide. The classic example is addresses, where it's common to normalize the city/state information; indeed, many just retrieve the entire zip code table for starters, and automatically fill in city/state from that. There's nothing particularly special about the addition or removal of new data. If it is intrinsically related to the per-row content of an existing table, it belongs there; if not, it might well belong in a separate table. Start with the expected values from the form and determine which are best normalized off to their own tables. Give it a good little review for database-specific, obvious performance optimizations, and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with adding a new field to a table, but be aware that some popular database engines are notoriously bad at that operation --- some lock the table. There is also no point in separating data that naturally belongs together; that is, a separate table for first name, last name, and title, would be the utmost silliness. (I assume you're talking about SQL, given which thread this is, and not some other data storage method.)

quote:

... I'd prefer to keep the columns in order that the form follows, so things don't get out of whack when referencing them. IE: Section1Dropdown1 is the same between the table and the form.
Refer to fields by name, not by order. Your code should not contain a "SELECT * FROM table" query; things will break. It's also very likely that a name like "Section1Dropdown1" is rather meaningless; it's name should refer to the content of that dropdown, not it's application-chosen location on some form. For example, a dropdown providing a choice of Mr/Mrs/Ms/&c, should be stored as "prefix" or "title", not "Section3_7Dropdown1B".

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Is there some way to simulate iteration in SQL (postgres specifically)? For example, if I've got a query like:

SQL code:
SELECT 1.0 AS price, COUNT(*) AS items_at_price
FROM items
WHERE price > 1.0
Is there some reasonable way to re-run it for .5, 1.0, 1.5, etc. other than having some python script iterate over the value?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

KernelSlanders posted:

Is there some way to simulate iteration in SQL (postgres specifically)? For example, if I've got a query like:

SQL code:
FROM items
WHERE price > 1.0
Is there some reasonable way to re-run it for .5, 1.0, 1.5, etc. other than having some python script iterate over the value?

Some unbelievable genius added this to postgres 9.3 in psql as \watch http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/postgres-9-3-feature-highlight-watch-in-psql/

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

KernelSlanders posted:

SQL code:
FROM items
WHERE price > 1.0
Something like this should work:
code:
with pp as (select 0.5*generate_series(1,10) price) select pp.price,count(items.id) from items_at_price items,pp where items.price>pp.price group by pp.price order by pp.price;
If you're interested in a true, per-item cumulative total, you can likely get away with a window function using the item-intrinsic prices instead of forcing this with the generate_series.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
One way is with a recursive CTE:

SQL code:
WITH RECURSIVE t(n) AS
(
    VALUES (0.5)
  UNION ALL
    SELECT n+0.5 FROM t WHERE n < 5.0
)
SELECT n as price, count(case when price > n then 1 end) as items_at_price
FROM items, t
fake edit: or what the guy above me posted is another way

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Moogle posted:

Just so you don't drive yourself absolutely crazy over this, if you're running on a virtual box - and I'm assuming here you are - that is simply the volume shadow copy service doing it's thing in response to a host action and nothing for you to worry about.

Thanks for responding Moogle. Sorry I didn't write back earlier, but I am no longer employed by that organization so it's no longer my problem! As an aside, it wasn't a virtbox but a physical server.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Dumb question about indexes. I have tables like this.

code:
EVENT
-----
AccountId int
EventDate datetime

GROUP
-----
AccountId int
ValidFrom datetime
ValidTo datetime
GroupId varchar(50)
It's guaranteed that the ValidFrom and ValidTo dates for any given AccountId are contiguous and non-overlapping and that each EventDate in EVENT will correspond to exactly one row in GROUP for each AccountId. In order to determine which group a person belongs to on their EventDate, I need to join these tables on AccountId where EventDate is between ValidFrom and ValidTo. This is simple enough, but I'm looking to speed things up a tad, and struggling with the right index here. There's already a clustered index on Event.AccountId and an index on Event.EventDate. For Group, is it as simple as

create index some_index on GROUP (ValidFrom, ValidTo) include (AccountId)

Or is there some better structure/set of indexes? I suck at indexes. I need to study up. If it matters I'm basically doing:
code:
SELECT
     Event.AccountId
     ,Event.EventDate
     ,Group.GroupId
FROM
     Event
INNER JOIN
     Group
ON
     Group.AccountId = Event.AccountId
     and Event.EventDate between Group.ValidFrom and Group.ValidTo

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The quickest way to start working on what needs to be indexed is to ensure that both columns of the tables being joined are included in indexes. It sounds like eventdate and accountID are already indexed so probably to speed things up you want to put a nonclustered index on the ValidFrom and ValidTo columns in Group.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Sub Par posted:

Dumb question about indexes. I have tables like this.

[snip]
If the number of accounts is greater than the typical number of groups per account, then you could probably just create an index on Group.Account_id.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I have a fairly complex code request - I basically need to be able to run some pre-existing SQL queries against Excel data and return data from SQL. I'm willing to pay for it since it seems to me that it's more than just a stupid question.

It's in SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718618

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to calculate some averages over various different date ranges all at once and trying to figure out the best approach. I have a way that works but it is ugly and involves multiple temp tables that I'm trying to clean up to make things more readable.

At the core, I am attempting to calculate Daily, Monthly, and Yearly averages for various payment methods that our customers use. I'm starting off with ACH & Credit/Debit Card Payments and will expand it to other methods once I figure out a better way to do this if there is one. We have a table PaymentQueue (PK is ID) that houses all ACH & Card payments made, and a separate table ScheduledPayment that references PaymentQueue that specifies payments that were either one-time payments scheduled ahead of time or are recurring every month. I want to break out the averages by One-Time payments (so anything that is in PaymentQueue but not in ScheduledPayment), Recurring Payments, and Scheduled One-Time Payments. Here's what I have so far:

code:
create table #temp (
Payment_Method varchar(50),
Payment_Type varchar(50),
Payment_Date datetime
)

create table #temp2 (
Monthly_Average int,
)

create table #temp3 (
Daily_Average int
)

create table #temp4 (
Yearly_Average int
)

insert into #temp (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Payment_Date)
select
	'ACH or Credit/Debit Card Payments',
		(
		case 
			when ID in (select paymentqueueID from Payments.dbo.ScheduledPayment where IsRecurring = 1) then 'Recurring Payments'
			when ID in (select paymentqueueID from Payments.dbo.ScheduledPayment where IsRecurring = 0) then 'Scheduled One-Time Payments'
			else 'One-Time Payments'
		end
		) as Payment_Type,
		postdate as Payment_Date 
from Payments.dbo.PaymentQueue
where postdate >= '20120101'
	and postdate < '20150101'
and paymenttype <> 23 --23 is balance transfer; not a real payment, so get rid of it!
and ProcessStatus = 1 --Processed successfully locally
and PaymentResult = 1 --Was not rejected by bank/creditor

insert into #temp2 (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Monthly_Average)

select x.Payment_Method, x.Payment_Type, avg(x.Number_of_Payments) as Monthly_Average from 
	(
	select Payment_Method, Payment_Type, count(Payment_Type) as Number_of_Payments, month(Payment_date) as Month, Year(Payment_date) as Year from #temp
	group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type, year(payment_date), month(payment_date)
	) x 
group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type

insert into #temp3 (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Daily_Average)
select y.Payment_Method, y.Payment_Type, avg(y.Number_of_Payments)
from 
	(
	select Payment_Method, Payment_Type, count(Payment_Type) as Number_of_Payments, day(Payment_date) as Day, month(Payment_date) as Month, Year(Payment_date) as Year from #temp
	group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type, year(payment_date), month(payment_date), day(Payment_date)
	) y 
group by y.Payment_Method, y.Payment_Type

insert into #temp4 (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Yearly_Average)
select z.Payment_Method, z.Payment_Type, avg(z.Number_of_Payments)
from 
	(
	select Payment_Method, Payment_Type, count(Payment_Type) as Number_of_Payments, Year(Payment_date) as Year from #temp
	group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type,  Year(Payment_date)
	) z 
group by z.Payment_Method, z.Payment_Type

select t2.Payment_Method, t2.Payment_Type, t3.Daily_Average, t2.Monthly_Average, t4.Yearly_Average
from #temp2 t2 
	join #temp3 t3 
	on t2.Payment_Method = t3.Payment_Method and t2.Payment_Type = t3.Payment_Type
	join #temp4 t4
	on t3.Payment_Method = t4.Payment_Method and t3.Payment_Type = t4.Payment_Type	

drop table #temp
drop table #temp2
drop table #temp3
drop table #temp4
There must be a better way but I don't know of one. I looked into 'WITH ROLLUP' but that appears only to work with SUM() so that won't work. I found COMPUTE & COMPUTE BY but that just seems like another way to just use a function with group by and not of any help to me. I feel like this is going to be something simple staring but in the face but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance if anyone has any pointers - I know this could be done relatively easily using something like pivot tables in Excel but I'd like to be able to do it all in SQL if possible.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
code:
SELECT *
	from hardware h 
	left join users u on u.id = h.user_id 
	left join categories c on c.id = h.category_id 
	left join (select post_id, count(post_id) as commentcount from comments group by post_id ) comment on comment.post_id = h.id
	left join (select post_id, sum(upvote) as upvotes from votes group by post_id) v on v.post_id = h.id
	left join (select post_id, count(*) as downloads from downloads group by post_id) d on d.post_id = h.id
If I remove the join on the downloads table, it lowers the query time from ~0.3 seconds to ~0.01 seconds. The downloads table is about 300k records. The others are only a couple thousand rows each. I tried adding an index to post_id (I don't really know how indices work, was just a guess). It didn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions what I can do to make this faster? Also worth noting, I have a page that also orders by v.upvotes DESC and it makes it tremendously slower too.

Here's what the mysql slow log is showing for these:

# Query_time: 3.947889 Lock_time: 0.000364 Rows_sent: 36 Rows_examined: 24661677

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 9, 2015

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hayden. posted:

code:
SELECT *
	from hardware h 
	left join users u on u.id = h.user_id 
	left join categories c on c.id = h.category_id 
	left join (select post_id, count(post_id) as commentcount from comments group by post_id ) comment on comment.post_id = h.id
	left join (select post_id, sum(upvote) as upvotes from votes group by post_id) v on v.post_id = h.id
	left join (select post_id, count(*) as downloads from downloads group by post_id) d on d.post_id = h.id
If I remove the join on the downloads table, it lowers the query time from ~0.3 seconds to ~0.01 seconds. The downloads table is about 300k records. The others are only a couple thousand rows each. I tried adding an index to post_id (I don't really know how indices work, was just a guess). It didn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions what I can do to make this faster? Also worth noting, I have a page that also orders by v.upvotes DESC and it makes it tremendously slower too.

Here's what the mysql slow log is showing for these:

# Query_time: 3.947889 Lock_time: 0.000364 Rows_sent: 36 Rows_examined: 24661677
Right off the top of my head, it looks like you're creating a derived table each go around with however many unique post_ids are in it (not sure if that hits the query cache or not) and no indexes. So quite a bit more work there than need be. You might try something like this:
code:
select h.id,u.user_id,u.user_name,c.id,c.name,
  (select count(*) from comments where post_id=h.post_id) as commentcount,
  (select sum(upvote) from votes where post_id=h.post_id) as upvotes, 
  (select count(*) from downloads where post_id=h.post_id) as downloads 
  from hardware h 
  left join users u on u.id=h.user_id
  left join categories c on c.id=h.category_id
  order by upvotes desc

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
That's perfect, works great. Thanks so much, I've never used subqueries in select statements before. Good to know!

edit: hooray, my VPS went from constantly ~50% CPU usage to ~5%.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 9, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kumbamontu posted:

I'm looking to calculate some averages over various different date ranges all at once and trying to figure out the best approach. I have a way that works but it is ugly and involves multiple temp tables that I'm trying to clean up to make things more readable.

At the core, I am attempting to calculate Daily, Monthly, and Yearly averages for various payment methods that our customers use. I'm starting off with ACH & Credit/Debit Card Payments and will expand it to other methods once I figure out a better way to do this if there is one. We have a table PaymentQueue (PK is ID) that houses all ACH & Card payments made, and a separate table ScheduledPayment that references PaymentQueue that specifies payments that were either one-time payments scheduled ahead of time or are recurring every month. I want to break out the averages by One-Time payments (so anything that is in PaymentQueue but not in ScheduledPayment), Recurring Payments, and Scheduled One-Time Payments. Here's what I have so far:

code:
create table #temp (
Payment_Date datetime
)

create table #temp2 (
Monthly_Average int,
)

create table #temp3 (
Daily_Average int
)

create table #temp4 (
Yearly_Average int
)

insert into #temp (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Payment_Date)
select
	'ACH or Credit/Debit Card Payments',
		(
		case 
			when ID in (select paymentqueueID from Payments.dbo.ScheduledPayment where IsRecurring = 1) then 'Recurring Payments'
			when ID in (select paymentqueueID from Payments.dbo.ScheduledPayment where IsRecurring = 0) then 'Scheduled One-Time Payments'
			else 'One-Time Payments'
		end
		) as Payment_Type,
		postdate as Payment_Date 
from Payments.dbo.PaymentQueue
where postdate >= '20120101'
	and postdate < '20150101'
and paymenttype <> 23 --23 is balance transfer; not a real payment, so get rid of it!
and ProcessStatus = 1 --Processed successfully locally
and PaymentResult = 1 --Was not rejected by bank/creditor

insert into #temp2 (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Monthly_Average)

select x.Payment_Method, x.Payment_Type, avg(x.Number_of_Payments) as Monthly_Average from 
	(
	select Payment_Method, Payment_Type, count(Payment_Type) as Number_of_Payments, month(Payment_date) as Month, Year(Payment_date) as Year from #temp
	group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type, year(payment_date), month(payment_date)
	) x 
group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type

insert into #temp3 (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Daily_Average)
select y.Payment_Method, y.Payment_Type, avg(y.Number_of_Payments)
from 
	(
	select Payment_Method, Payment_Type, count(Payment_Type) as Number_of_Payments, day(Payment_date) as Day, month(Payment_date) as Month, Year(Payment_date) as Year from #temp
	group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type, year(payment_date), month(payment_date), day(Payment_date)
	) y 
group by y.Payment_Method, y.Payment_Type

insert into #temp4 (Payment_Method, Payment_Type, Yearly_Average)
select z.Payment_Method, z.Payment_Type, avg(z.Number_of_Payments)
from 
	(
	select Payment_Method, Payment_Type, count(Payment_Type) as Number_of_Payments, Year(Payment_date) as Year from #temp
	group by Payment_Method, Payment_Type,  Year(Payment_date)
	) z 
group by z.Payment_Method, z.Payment_Type

select t2.Payment_Method, t2.Payment_Type, t3.Daily_Average, t2.Monthly_Average, t4.Yearly_Average
from #temp2 t2 
	join #temp3 t3 
	on t2.Payment_Method = t3.Payment_Method and t2.Payment_Type = t3.Payment_Type
	join #temp4 t4
	on t3.Payment_Method = t4.Payment_Method and t3.Payment_Type = t4.Payment_Type	

drop table #temp
drop table #temp2
drop table #temp3
drop table #temp4

There must be a better way but I don't know of one. I looked into 'WITH ROLLUP' but that appears only to work with SUM() so that won't work. I found COMPUTE & COMPUTE BY but that just seems like another way to just use a function with group by and not of any help to me. I feel like this is going to be something simple staring but in the face but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance if anyone has any pointers - I know this could be done relatively easily using something like pivot tables in Excel but I'd like to be able to do it all in SQL if possible.

strings are not a substitute for dates and you are going to shoot yourself in the foot some day if you keep using them as such.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Citizen Tayne posted:

strings are not a substitute for dates and you are going to shoot yourself in the foot some day if you keep using them as such.

A string literal 'YYYYMMDD' is an implicit cast to date so it doesn't necessarily mean the underlying postdate type is also a string. He even made it a datetime on #temp! :confused:

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ElehemEare posted:

A string literal 'YYYYMMDD' is an implicit cast to date so it doesn't necessarily mean the underlying postdate type is also a string. He even made it a datetime on #temp! :confused:

Depends on where you're using it, in Oracle or Teradata that doesn't work. Relying on implied casts is a real bad idea.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Those were just example dates thrown in there to see if the calculations work, which they do - I have no intention of leaving it like that. Eventually it will likely be parameterized so a user can input a range of years to get the averages over. Also this will never be run on anything other than SQL Server.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a way to tell if a database restore was done? All my work last week is gone and someone is going to pay dearly for it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm trying to set up an after insert trigger on an Sql Server database - all it needs to do is, upon insert to a certain table, insert another row in a similar but different table in a different db, on a different server. I've just discovered that if the triggered insert fails, the second one does as well. Is there any way to avoid this? I'm seeing suggestions that you can get around it by having the trigger call a stored procedure - but I can't see definitely if this will work and how to implement it. Can anyone help me out?

e: Or, in fact, what is the best way to achieve this, if a trigger is not it?

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 22, 2015

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

chippy posted:

I'm trying to set up an after insert trigger on an Sql Server database - all it needs to do is, upon insert to a certain table, insert another row in a similar but different table in a different db, on a different server. I've just discovered that if the triggered insert fails, the second one does as well. Is there any way to avoid this? I'm seeing suggestions that you can get around it by having the trigger call a stored procedure - but I can't see definitely if this will work and how to implement it. Can anyone help me out?

e: Or, in fact, what is the best way to achieve this, if a trigger is not it?

Surely that's what you would expect an after insert trigger to do? Why does it need to be an after insert trigger and not a before insert one?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Hammerite posted:

Surely that's what you would expect an after insert trigger to do? Why does it need to be an after insert trigger and not a before insert one?

OK, well, as I understand it, SQL Server only has AFTER and INSTEAD OF triggers. Surely an instead of would have the same problem?

Basically, the original insert always needs to succeed regardless of what happens. Maybe a trigger is not the best way of doing this?

I think I phrased my original problem wrong - if the second insert fails (the one executed by the trigger), I need it to not roll back the original insert, that one that triggered the, er trigger.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

chippy posted:

OK, well, as I understand it, SQL Server only has AFTER and INSTEAD OF triggers. Surely an instead of would have the same problem?

Basically, the original insert always needs to succeed regardless of what happens. Maybe a trigger is not the best way of doing this?

I think I phrased my original problem wrong - if the second insert fails (the one executed by the trigger), I need it to not roll back the original insert, that one that triggered the, er trigger.

My apologies, I only know anything about triggers in MySQL which has BEFORE and AFTER and I reasoned that if there was such a thing as an AFTER INSERT trigger in another DBMS then there must be such a thing as BEFORE as well. It turns out this was a bad assumption. I don't have anything helpful to say.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm. it seems maybe a scheduled sproc would be better. This needs to be close to real time though, every 30 seconds would probably be ok. Does anyone know of any issues with doing it this way?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Okay, this feels like it should be easy, but I just can't figure out a smart way to do it. Oracle 11g, names changed for clarity, and I can't make any changes to the schema or the data, I'm just trying to query it the best way I can. My SQL knowledge is limited to what I've picked up over the last year, so if I'm being an idiot, feel free to call me out on it.

Say I have a table CONTRACT with a primary key of CON_ID that is also a foreign key of another table CON_ATTRIBUTE as CONATT_CONID. CON_ATTRIBUTE contains timesliced attributes for CONTRACT that need to be retained there when changes come in, so you can see "Ah, it these values at the beginning, then on April 1st these values, then on June 5th it changed again..." To do this, CON_ATTRIBUTE has a column CONATT_DATE. This column is null for the first timeslice belonging to each CON_ID, then subsequent rows for the same CON_ID contain the date of the change. There's a column in CON_ATTRIBUTE we'll call CONATT_VALUE which is what I actually want to find out for each CON_ID. The problems are:

1) I want to join these two tables so I can get the most recent timeslice belonging to a contract, i.e. the timeslice with the most recent date in CONATT_DATE, counting the one with the null in CONATT_DATE as oldest. Since Oracle doesn't do TOP, I've been looking at a way of getting around that, but my attempt looks super clunky.

code:
join
(
	select c.CONATT_CONID, c.CONATT_VALUE
	from CON_ATTRIBUTE c
	where c.CONATT_ID =
	(
		select b.CONATT_ID from
		(
			select a.CONATT_ID, nvl(c.CONATT_DATE,'01.01.1900')
			from CON_ATTRIBUTE a
			order by 2 desc
		) b
		where rownum = 1
	)
) d
on d.CONATT_CONID = CONTRACT.CON_ID
Please tell me there's an easier/prettier/saner way of doing this.

2) Both tables are pretty big. I'm looking at 100k+ rows in CONTRACT and CON_ATTRIBUTE is roughly twice that, so the prototype query runs pretty long. Now, there is an index on CON_ATTRIBUTE that combines the columns CONATT_CONID and CONATT_DATE. However, considering that roughly two thirds of all entries have null as CONATT_DATE, I'm not sure if it's doing any good for this at all. Is there a way to take advantage of it, or is this doomed to a full-table scan? (For what it's worth, I only need data for maybe 5 to 10 CON_IDs at a time, and without the join to CON_ATTRIBUTE the query is plenty fast.)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gatac posted:

Okay, this feels like it should be easy, but I just can't figure out a smart way to do it. Oracle 11g, names changed for clarity, and I can't make any changes to the schema or the data, I'm just trying to query it the best way I can. My SQL knowledge is limited to what I've picked up over the last year, so if I'm being an idiot, feel free to call me out on it.

Say I have a table CONTRACT with a primary key of CON_ID that is also a foreign key of another table CON_ATTRIBUTE as CONATT_CONID. CON_ATTRIBUTE contains timesliced attributes for CONTRACT that need to be retained there when changes come in, so you can see "Ah, it these values at the beginning, then on April 1st these values, then on June 5th it changed again..." To do this, CON_ATTRIBUTE has a column CONATT_DATE. This column is null for the first timeslice belonging to each CON_ID, then subsequent rows for the same CON_ID contain the date of the change. There's a column in CON_ATTRIBUTE we'll call CONATT_VALUE which is what I actually want to find out for each CON_ID. The problems are:

1) I want to join these two tables so I can get the most recent timeslice belonging to a contract, i.e. the timeslice with the most recent date in CONATT_DATE, counting the one with the null in CONATT_DATE as oldest. Since Oracle doesn't do TOP, I've been looking at a way of getting around that, but my attempt looks super clunky.

code:
join
(
	select c.CONATT_CONID, c.CONATT_VALUE
	from CON_ATTRIBUTE c
	where c.CONATT_ID =
	(
		select b.CONATT_ID from
		(
			select a.CONATT_ID, nvl(c.CONATT_DATE,'01.01.1900')
			from CON_ATTRIBUTE a
			order by 2 desc
		) b
		where rownum = 1
	)
) d
on d.CONATT_CONID = CONTRACT.CON_ID
Please tell me there's an easier/prettier/saner way of doing this.

2) Both tables are pretty big. I'm looking at 100k+ rows in CONTRACT and CON_ATTRIBUTE is roughly twice that, so the prototype query runs pretty long. Now, there is an index on CON_ATTRIBUTE that combines the columns CONATT_CONID and CONATT_DATE. However, considering that roughly two thirds of all entries have null as CONATT_DATE, I'm not sure if it's doing any good for this at all. Is there a way to take advantage of it, or is this doomed to a full-table scan? (For what it's worth, I only need data for maybe 5 to 10 CON_IDs at a time, and without the join to CON_ATTRIBUTE the query is plenty fast.)

Though I've never used Oracle, a cursory google search seems to indicate Oracle can use CTEs, so I would go that route:

code:
USE whatever; 

WITH cte (id, value, valuerank) 
     AS (SELECT c.conatt_conid, 
                c.conatt_value, 
                Row_number() 
                  OVER ( 
                    partition BY c.conatt_conid 
                    ORDER BY c.conatt_date DESC)) 
SELECT * 
FROM   cte c 
WHERE  valuerank = 1 

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004
Check out the aggregate form of FIRST/LAST with MAX as a cleaner way of doing it. There are examples about halfway down.

http://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/db112/SQLRF/functions065.htm#SQLRF00641

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Couple of SQL Server questions:

1) Let's say we have these two tables:
code:
Users
 [UserID]
 (other columns...)

Widgets
 (other columns...)
 [CreatedBy]
 [LastEditedBy]
In this case I would want both [CreatedBy] and [LastEditedBy] to each have a foreign key relationship with Users.[UserID], with the options ON UPDATE CASCADE and either ON DELETE SET NULL or ON DELETE CASCADE, depending on the exact nature of the Widgets.

Now, SQL Server refuses to allow a second foreign key, unless both are set to ON UPDATE/DELETE NO ACTION, claiming that it might cause cycles and/or multiple cascade paths. I've read the standard Google results for this problem, but I still can't figure out what sort of cascade paths SQL Server is worried about in my scenario. Every other problematic example I've seen has either a third table involved or a different relationship diagram.

2) You're designing a new schema, and you have a whole bunch of tables that you want to set up. There's a lot of things you want to have on 95% of your tables, such as:

- a [<Table name>ID] primary key and index
- [Creation Date] and [Last Updated] columns
- triggers that autofill those two columns
- a [Status] column (e.g. 0 = new, 1 = active, 2 = deleted, or whatever)
- potentially multiple [OwnerID], [SourceID], etc. FK columns
- either a View or (in 2016) Row Level Security that only shows a user his own rows
- etc.

Now, this is a very infrequent task so copy/paste works perfectly. However, is there any feature in (T-)SQL that you're supposed to use in such a scenario?

3) Are there any guidelines for when a nchar property becomes "small enough" that you can use it as its own ID column all over your database? For an extreme example, currency is likely represented by just three ASCII characters, which aren't going to change. If you're not going to store exchange rates or other information, is it going to be faster to read/write EUR everywhere than to use a numeric CurrencyID foreign key? Or is relational storage so optimised at this point that you'd still rather join on a tinyint?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 22, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll prefix this post with saying that my PHP/SQL skills are taught from books and googling answers to problems, which results in me probably doing things in a really bad and non-efficient manner.

For the last 4 years I've had a little site up for goons to vote for Eurovision entries for a bit of fun, and it's always worked fine. Each year I then just duplicate the database out and change the references in the scripts to point to the right place, so I can keep the old iterations up. However, somethings up this year and when the site starts getting a bit busy, it seems that SQL is eating up all the RAM on the server (there's a bunch of sites on the server, and it's usually at about 60% used of 1.75GB and sqld eats up about 20% on average), forcing the daemon to crash and eventually get rebooted by the system.

Is there anything I can do easily (i.e. not installing a ton of software on to the box) to monitor what's happening? I'm running WHM/cPanel on a VPS, and mysql is on version 5.6.23. I was on an older version of mysql previously, so I think there's something in my scripts that the newer version is less tolerable about, but I'm not sure what at the moment.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
If I need to pull some metrics (just 10 or so COUNT/AVG queries essentially) for the last X amount of days from a SQL database (each day has it's own metrics), how do I do that so I'm not doing a loop in PHP that executes 10*X select queries? I can't really use an IN statement with an array to group everything I don't think, because I'm selecting each day by using BETWEEN 2 timestamps.

Right now I am using a loop that decrements the time by one day, and executes a bunch of

code:
COUNT(something) FROM thing WHERE timestamp BETWEEN firstTime and secondTime

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 28, 2015

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

GROUP BY TRUNC(timestamp) ?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tomahawk posted:

If I need to pull some metrics (just 10 or so COUNT/AVG queries essentially) for the last X amount of days from a SQL database (each day has it's own metrics), how do I do that so I'm not doing a loop in PHP that executes 10*X select queries? I can't really use an IN statement with an array to group everything I don't think, because I'm selecting each day by using BETWEEN 2 timestamps.

Right now I am using a loop that decrements the time by one day, and executes a bunch of

code:
COUNT(something) FROM thing WHERE timestamp BETWEEN firstTime and secondTime

group by extract(day from ts)

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Malcolm XML posted:

group by extract(day from ts)

Thank you. What if a "day" is defined from 2:00:00am yesterday to 1:59:59am today?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tomahawk posted:

Thank you. What if a "day" is defined from 2:00:00am yesterday to 1:59:59am today?

I guess "group by extract( day from dateadd(hour, -2, ts))" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

I guess "group by extract( day from dateadd(hour, -2, ts))" ?

EDIT: nvm, didn't think through my approach

Gatac fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 28, 2015