Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI

A salute to our fallen comrades.

May 8th, rookie minicamp. Jaguars rookie DE Dante Fowler Jr is contacted by an offensive linemen, goes down awkwardly and has to be carried off by trainers.

Awh hosed rating: (Projected starter filling a huge hole on the Jags defense. One of the best prospects in the draft, loses his rookie season of training and conditioning. Just a real bummer.

May 9th, rookie minicamp. Broncos rookie TE Jeff Heuerman, during a kickoff drill, sprinted downfield, made a cut and his leg didn't go with him.

Awh hosed rating: . Had a foot injury last year in college, better run blocker then anything else. Probably would've expected to be a rotational guy to help out the beefy running game they're trying to implement.

May 20th, weightroom warrior. Giants presumptive LT Will Beatty tears his pec lifting.

Awh hosed rating: . Your left tackle will miss at least half the season. That's a problem. They drafted a tackle in the top 10 with the presumption of having him start at RT, so at least they have added guys, but this is going to lead to a line jumble before all the pieces are even in the boggle shaker.

May 27th, DE Robert Ayers suffered a knee/ankle injury in practice.

X-rays negative, not severe, he'll be back for training camp.

May 28th, Pro Bowl LT for the Broncos Ryan Clady tears his ACL.

Awh hosed rating: . That's pretty hosed. Two years ago he missed almost the entire season with a lis-franc injury, and he also played hurt in 2012 at the end of the season with a torn labrum

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This space reserved for RG3.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
As usual, we can also use this thread for questions about injuries. Later on I will dig my old threads up and post them so you can see basic things like ACL injuries. But feel free to ask about any specific injuries in terms of the medicine/science behind it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

As usual, we can also use this thread for questions about injuries. Later on I will dig my old threads up and post them so you can see basic things like ACL injuries. But feel free to ask about any specific injuries in terms of the medicine/science behind it.

I'm interested in rotator cuff tears for reasons unrelated to football. But it does happen in the NFL too and after quickly googling I guess most people (who aren't QBs) play out the season and get surgery afterwards.

Exactly how much does that type of injury limit your motion?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chris Mortensen was saying that strength and conditioning guys have been predicting more ACL and Achilles injuries because rookies are jumping in to NFL drills too quickly.

They maintain that the period before the rookies get into mini camp should include proper training with NFL strength and conditioning guys before the rookies start drills.

Thoughts?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

We wouldn't have so many knee injuries if we hadn't gone bipedal. But I guess there aren't many sports that can be played on four legs.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Ehud posted:

Chris Mortensen was saying that strength and conditioning guys have been predicting more ACL and Achilles injuries because rookies are jumping in to NFL drills too quickly.

They maintain that the period before the rookies get into mini camp should include proper training with NFL strength and conditioning guys before the rookies start drills.

Thoughts?

there are a billion per year anyway so whatev

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

Thoughts?

From a bro-science standpoint it makes sense, to me. I don't know what actual doctors think about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

Thoughts?

There is only so much strength and conditioning you can do to prevent an ACL tear. I highly doubt many, if any, tears would be prevented with extra time to warm up. What it might due however is let the player "know their own body" better and not try to perform a maneuver or task that would result in injury. Also, its not like these guys aren't doing anything once they are done with college ball. They spend months training for the combine, and we know mini-camp start soon after the draft, so even if they took it easy, they would still be in pretty good shape.

So yeah, I think easing them into it might help, but mostly because of psychological reasons and not physiological ones. Think of it this way, which is probably the safer thing: driving really fast on a motorcycle with a helmet, or riding a bike without one? Playing in the NFL is driving really fast with a helmet. Sure, you have a helmet but how much effect is it going to have when you hit a car at 100 mph? That extra training won't do a whole lot against someone rolling into your knee.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm interested in rotator cuff tears for reasons unrelated to football. But it does happen in the NFL too and after quickly googling I guess most people (who aren't QBs) play out the season and get surgery afterwards.

It depends. The rotator cuff is a group of four muscles in the shoulder. A tear can affect any number of them and it depends on which ones get torn. So severity can just be pain, but almost complete range of motion to almost an complete ability to keep your arm raised. Most players, except QB and possible WR, could probably still play with a mild tear, but if its severe enough, you might as well treat them as having one arm.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

There is only so much strength and conditioning you can do to prevent an ACL tear. I highly doubt many, if any, tears would be prevented with extra time to warm up. What it might due however is let the player "know their own body" better and not try to perform a maneuver or task that would result in injury. Also, its not like these guys aren't doing anything once they are done with college ball. They spend months training for the combine, and we know mini-camp start soon after the draft, so even if they took it easy, they would still be in pretty good shape.

Regarding this part of it - Mortensen said strength and conditioning guys view training for the combine as very different from what is required to participate in an NFL camp.

I guess they're saying you can train to be really fast and really strong to do well at the combine, but you are necessarily prepared for the drills that are run at mini camp.

But yeah, it feels more like it's all very random. Non-contact ligament tears always seem :psyberger:

If nothing else I thought I would bring it up since the guys in charge of player conditioning apparently see it as a problem. They told Mort that they want time with the rookies before they ever take the field, which seems like a good idea to me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

Regarding this part of it - Mortensen said strength and conditioning guys view training for the combine as very different from what is required to participate in an NFL camp.

I guess they're saying you can train to be really fast and really strong to do well at the combine, but you are necessarily prepared for the drills that are run at mini camp.

But yeah, it feels more like it's all very random. Non-contact ligament tears always seem :psyberger:

If nothing else I thought I would bring it up since the guys in charge of player conditioning apparently see it as a problem. They told Mort that they want time with the rookies before they ever take the field, which seems like a good idea to me.

Oh its absolutely a great idea. Hell, they might even be able to identify bad habits in terms of posture or movement that could prevent such injuries. Like I said, as there aren't any exercises that will strengthen the ACL or make the muscles around it strong enough to prevent an ACL tear, but that doesn't mean there aren't other things that can be done.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Are there any pass rushers on surgically repaired ACLs right now who are successful in the sort of role that Fowler will be playing? I understand that ACL tears are what they used to be, but I'm having a hard time finding similar cases to Fowler.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diodeous posted:

Are there any pass rushers on surgically repaired ACLs right now who are successful in the sort of role that Fowler will be playing? I understand that ACL tears are what they used to be, but I'm having a hard time finding similar cases to Fowler.

The Patriots pass rushing first round draft pick from last year tore both his ACL's in college. :downsbravo:

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows

Grittybeard posted:

Like swickles said, it depends. There are a handful of studies that use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to look at the dominant and non-dominant shoulders of elite overhead athletes (see here for example-- http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/31/5/724.short). More often than not, they find that many asymptomatic athletes (that is, athletes with no report of significant pain or disability) have things like partial thickness rotator cuff tears, labral tears and other abnormalities.

Discrepancies between musculoskeletal defects (such as rotator cuff tears) and things like pain and performance are why Dr. James Andrews is quoted as saying

quote:

"If you want an excuse to operate on a baseball pitcher's throwing shoulder," he said, "just do an MRI."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

This space reserved for RG3.

This entire thread is worth it solely for this joke.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Last season Justin Hunter suffered a lacerated spleen, will that be long-term issue for him?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Metapod posted:

Last season Justin Hunter suffered a lacerated spleen, will that be long-term issue for him?

Alex Smith suffered the same issue, if I'm not mistaken.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I know there is a clause that states that a team still has to negotiate with the player in good faith as if the injury hadn't occurred when these early season rookie injuries happen, and that rookie contracts are kind of predetermined now. Was there ever a time when an injury like this would essentially screw a guy?

Like a top 5 pick going down with an ACL injury and a team using that as leverage to sign him to below market value (pre-injury wise).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

Alex Smith suffered the same issue, if I'm not mistaken.

Week 16 of last year. He's fine now.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke! posted:

I know there is a clause that states that a team still has to negotiate with the player in good faith as if the injury hadn't occurred when these early season rookie injuries happen, and that rookie contracts are kind of predetermined now. Was there ever a time when an injury like this would essentially screw a guy?

Like a top 5 pick going down with an ACL injury and a team using that as leverage to sign him to below market value (pre-injury wise).

Did players report to minicamps and such before signing their deals in those days? I cannot remember if nobody showed uP before their deal was signed, or if it was just actual holdouts.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
What are the chances of Victor Cruz coming back to any semblance of his former self after his torn patellar tendon? I don't know much anything about that injury or playing ability post injury.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cruel and Unusual posted:

We wouldn't have so many knee injuries if we hadn't gone bipedal. But I guess there aren't many sports that can be played on four legs.

Still less drops than Ted Ginn Jr.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows

Crunkjuice posted:

What are the chances of Victor Cruz coming back to any semblance of his former self after his torn patellar tendon? I don't know much anything about that injury or playing ability post injury.

It depends on a lot of things-- Was it a full or partial tear? Any concomitant injuries? Previous history of lower extremity injury? Any complications (infection etc)? How's his work ethic in rehab? Does he have a talented surgical and rehabilitative staff? This is information the public does not usually have access too.

That being said, patellar tendon tears happen far less frequently in the NFL than say, ACL tears. Therefore there is less information out there regarding rehabilitation and return to sport. There was a 2011 article in the American Journal of Sports Medicine that studied Patellar tendon ruptures in National Football League players (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21813442). It's a retrospective case series of a very small number of athletes, so the conclusions should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's the best that's out there currently.

The author's write

quote:

Overall, 100% of injured players in this series were resigned by NFL teams and participated in training camp the season after injury. However, of the 24 injuries, only 19 players went on to play in the regular season. This finding implies that almost 80% of players return to their previous level of activity ... Of the players who returned to play, the average number of games played was 45.4, with a range of 1 to 142 games. The player who returned for only 1 game tore his contralateral patellar tendon his first game back and did not return to play after the second injury. Both of his injuries are included in the cohort. Three players went on to have Pro Bowl years. One of these players had a Pro Bowl year before the injury, while the other 2 had their first Pro Bowl year after the injury. One player was named the Professional Football Writers of America/Pro Football Weekly Comeback Player of the Year.

The NFL Players Association reports that the average length of an NFL career is 3.6 years.11 Assuming 16 games per year, this equals an average of 57.6 games in an average career. In considering our cohort of injured players, we found that they actually had a longer average career. With an aver- age number of games played before injury being 40.9 games and an average number of games played after the injury being 35.9, the average number of games in their careers comes to 76.8 games. These statistics, as well as the numerous accolades achieved after injury (Comeback Player of the Year, Pro Bowl selections), demonstrate that it is possible to return to professional football with good functional results after partial or complete rupture of the patellar tendon.

It's a crapshoot, really. The case series didn't describe the positions (ex. # of WRs, # of LBs, # of OL etc) of the injured athletes which limits the ability to interpret the data and apply it to Cruz. He could come back just fine, be a pro bowl caliber player, or he could come back and tear his other patellar tendon in the first game. I wouldn't say his injury is a death sentence though.

Race Warp fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 12, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Will Beatty tore his boob muscle on a routine lift

out 6 months

This thread will become a Giants graveyard

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 34s35 seconds ago
Significant injuries for Giants in spring prior to camp every season since SB46: Hakeem Nicks, JPP, Jon Beason and now Will Beatty.

Nicks - broke his foot jogging in the offseason, ruined career

JPP - broke his back sleeping in a lovely bed

Beason - alright well that one's to be expected.

Beatty - torn pec while lifting

Doesn't even account for the first round running back who retired during an offseason due to a spinal condition

:stonklol:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
give all athletes entering the nfl carbon nanotube ligaments imo

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Menamino posted:

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 34s35 seconds ago
Significant injuries for Giants in spring prior to camp every season since SB46: Hakeem Nicks, JPP, Jon Beason and now Will Beatty.

Nicks - broke his foot jogging in the offseason, ruined career

JPP - broke his back sleeping in a lovely bed

Beason - alright well that one's to be expected.

Beatty - torn pec while lifting

Doesn't even account for the first round running back who retired during an offseason due to a spinal condition

:stonklol:

I've been running twice a week every week for years, you would have to do something really loving dumb to break your foot while doing it

I don't care how lovely the bed is, how do you break your back while sleeping

Are you making this poo poo up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Injury Thread 2015: Is it me or are there more Giants injured this year?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Rasczak posted:

I've been running twice a week every week for years, you would have to do something really loving dumb to break your foot while doing it

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7968772/hakeem-nicks-new-york-giants-breaks-foot-miss-12-weeks

quote:

I don't care how lovely the bed is, how do you break your back while sleeping

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9340796/jason-pierre-paul-new-york-giants-back-surgery

- he had back problems the previous season (or so say the giants) but did nothing about it after the season ended or all offseason. Can't find specific articles on it now, but the issue came back and lead to that surgery because he couldn't sleep properly on the single sized beds they used in albany. So who knows if he was actually injured the prior season or specifically because of the beds and the giants tried to cover their rear end. Either way football is for the birds.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

Len Bias got hosed on his rookie deal.

Also that whole "they're not ready for NFL type-drills" just seems like dick-waving to me. What's going to be the great difference between what they did in college and in preparing for the combine versus that minicamp? Yeah, it's one thing if a dude who did nothing went out and hurt himself, but like people said these guys aren't sitting around for months before. Unless NFL-style means beating them in the legs with hammers or some poo poo it just seems like teams trying to brag about how tough they are.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Febreeze posted:

This thread will become a Giants graveyard

From your fingertips to God's ears, blessed be.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Second Giants casualty

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/5/27/8672695/robert-ayers-injury-mars-ny-giants-first-ota-workout

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Do the Giants employ old timey weight lifting guys like the Mandelbaums?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Seahawks DT Jesse Williams starts surgery tomorrow for his cancer. :smith:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
is it just me or have there been more cancer this year

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

NC-17 posted:

Do the Giants employ old timey weight lifting guys like the Mandelbaums?

Nah, they employ Hans and Franz. You know those guys are good, because of how in shape they are. And I think they're hoping for some Rodgers magic to transfer over to Eli.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ryan Clady tears ACL, probably out for season :rip:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

old dog child posted:

dang
source:

@AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago
Broncos Pro Bowl LT Ryan Clady tore his left ACL during practice Wednesday and is likely to miss the 2015 season, a league source told ESPN.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

old dog child posted:

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Whelp Peyton is dead

• Locked thread