Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, man, I remember Simpsons Wrestling, but I'm not sure if I want to.

It was okay.

I was wise and rented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So Andy Serkis's character is revealed to be named... Supreme Leader Snoke. And is a mocap character, of course.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

So Andy Serkis's character is revealed to be named... Supreme Leader Snoke. And is a mocap character, of course.

So my only question is Supreme Leader of what?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

No doubt because of a clause that George Lucas hid in the fine print of the contract when he sold the company.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"You can do whatever you want with the franchise but every new character name has to come from this list <hands construction paper scrawled with crayons>"

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Sounds Gungan to me.

And we thought we were free....

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Per directive from George Lucas, all new Star Wars character names are to be onamatopoetically offputting.

Like Sheev. Or Snoke.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Darth Bahd Ky.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I'm climbing back into the EU since the reboot and I'm gonna give it a shot. I bought the first official book "A New Dawn" on amazon and I noticed a few more are out, or for preorder.

My question is how long does it take for a hardcover new release to make it to paperback? I couldn't find a paperback release date for "Heir to the Jedi"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Paperbacks generally come out 8 to 12 months later unless its a terrible romance novel or some indy publisher.

You might get lucky and they push it up to 6 months, but that is rare.

Edit: it was 6 months to the day for a new dawn to hit paperback.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 9, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Carteret posted:

Paperbacks generally come out 8 to 12 months later unless its a terrible romance novel or some indy publisher.

You might get lucky and they push it up to 6 months, but that is rare.

Edit: it was 6 months to the day for a new dawn to hit paperback.

Oh wow I never realized it took that long, I always figured they took about 3 months to catch the diehards with, then dropped to paperback for the rest of the population. Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll cave and get the hardcovers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Finally forced myself through that Young Jedi Knights book. KJA dumbs the language down so much that they're just a slog.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally forced myself through that Young Jedi Knights book. KJA dumbs the language down so much that they're just a slog.

That was my favorite series as a kid...but I haven't gone back to revisit them because I'm afraid I'll have precisely this reaction.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

That was my favorite series as a kid...but I haven't gone back to revisit them because I'm afraid I'll have precisely this reaction.
I loved them as a kid. Unfortunately as an adult it becomes clear the KJA dumbed down the language far too much. "You are Young Jedi Knights, har har har" Said Han Solo. Is a slight exaggeration, but not much of one. The one I just finished was Return to Ord-Mantell, for whatever reason I never got this one, had it's sequel Trouble on Cloud City, but not the last book in the series Crisis at Crystal Reef either. I'm going to ram though the last book now just for shits and giggles. I don't think I could stomach rereading the whole series.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be fair it's not like his other stuff is at a much higher reading level

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair it's not like his other stuff is at a much higher reading level
Not quite that bad though. One of the not terrible aspects of LOTF was a callback to The Shadow Academy that kind of spoke to the twins' sibling relationship after Denning decided to gently caress everything up.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Remember the Galaxy of Fear series? It was like Goosebumps, but in Star Wars! :downs:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was into Jedi Apprentice while everyone else I knew was into Animorphs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Remember the Galaxy of Fear series? It was like Goosebumps, but in Star Wars! :downs:
There's a couple of those I missed. I read all but one of the Jedi Apprentice books. Read the first 4 Jedi Quest books, but was getting a little old for YA books at that point. Also read the 2 Science Adventure books which deadended after the 2nd o e if I remember correctly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pththya-lyi posted:

One of them even has Admiral Thrawn!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SirPhoebos posted:

One of them even has Admiral Thrawn!

I believe we instituted a rule to never speak of this. I was never there. Now get out of my office.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also had the villain from Jedi Knight, the blindfold dude.

(Animorphs was way better.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And Dash Rendar, vacationing on the Star of Empire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel like each Galaxy of Fear and YJK book tied into a specific "adult" story. From YJK I remembered there's one book where they go to Hapes, one book where they go to Mon Calamari, one book where they go to the space station from Dark Empire, another where they go to Vader's castle from DE, etc. And most of the new characters tie into earlier books, too (Tenel Ka and the evil Nightsister derive from Courtship, the drug addict bounty hunter who Jacen gets a boner for derives from the Brian Daley books, Brakiss was in a few of the Bantam novels, Black Sun is the villain again, etc).

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I only ever read the first YJK book. My mother bought it for me once when I was incredibly sick, so all my memories of it are pretty hazy and feverish. I'm not sure if that would have improved it or not...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm always amused by the fact that the YJK series takes place after Luke and Mara are married...but she never appears or is even mentioned.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

I'm always amused by the fact that the YJK series takes place after Luke and Mara are married...but she never appears or is even mentioned.

That's because they were actually published prior to the Hand of Thrawn books, among others, so they didn't want to spoil the wedding (plus for a while I think there was back and forth behind the scenes over whether Luke would marry Mara or Callista). It's also why they never mention whether the Empire is still around or not, and why Leia is still the president despite no longer being so in Hand of Thrawn (which they then retconned as her taking an extended vacation from the presidency or something, which sounds like it would be political suicide, but I guess this is Star Wars).

I actually looked it up now out of curiosity and the first YJK book came out in 1995, so that's really pretty early in the EU. And the very last YJK was the only one which came out after Luke and Mara's engagement was revealed in Vision of the Future.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

That's because they were actually published prior to the Hand of Thrawn books, among others, so they didn't want to spoil the wedding (plus for a while I think there was back and forth behind the scenes over whether Luke would marry Mara or Callista). It's also why they never mention whether the Empire is still around or not, and why Leia is still the president despite no longer being so in Hand of Thrawn (which they then retconned as her taking an extended vacation from the presidency or something, which sounds like it would be political suicide, but I guess this is Star Wars).

I actually looked it up now out of curiosity and the first YJK book came out in 1995, so that's really pretty early in the EU. And the very last YJK was the only one which came out after Luke and Mara's engagement was revealed in Vision of the Future.

Oh I know the behind the scenes reason. It's honestly why I'm so optimistic about the new Story Group-driven canon...hopefully an overall guiding hand will prevent the need for retcons/slip ups like that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One major disappointment from graduating to the adult novels is that Brackiss doesn't have poo poo for a backstory. I figured they'd go into whatever his deal was. But like many things all it gets is some handwaving in Star Wars Insider or a sourcebook.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 10, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Oh I know the behind the scenes reason. It's honestly why I'm so optimistic about the new Story Group-driven canon...hopefully an overall guiding hand will prevent the need for retcons/slip ups like that.

I don't know. My personal view is that I think this is going to last right up until the first director for a future movie decides he doesn't care what comic issue #237 said twelve years ago, he's going to do something this way. And if Ant-Man actually is dire I bet it will also make Disney executives more likely to give directors leeway over forcing them to adhere to rigid spinoff canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know. My personal view is that I think this is going to last right up until the first director for a future movie decides he doesn't care what comic issue #237 said twelve years ago, he's going to do something this way. And if Ant-Man actually is dire I bet it will also make Disney executives more likely to give directors leeway over forcing them to adhere to rigid spinoff canon.

Ideally the Story Group exists to step in to tell the director "sorry, by signing up to work on Star Wars, you agreed that these are the things that are canon to the universe". I'm a bit worried about the same thing, but time will tell...

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just hope the Story Group is thinking in terms of plotlines extending over years, long term character development, and actual narrative weight and not just amping up interest in whatever new movie comes out that Christmas.

I like to dream.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's all good until Troy Denning gets to write another book and they're too scared to tell him no.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Ideally the Story Group exists to step in to tell the director "sorry, by signing up to work on Star Wars, you agreed that these are the things that are canon to the universe". I'm a bit worried about the same thing, but time will tell...

Yeah, but the story group consists of a handful of mid-tier Lucasbooks editors who are the exact same people who let the continuity and canon over the last few years of the EU go completely to poo poo because they themselves didn't give a poo poo. If some red-hot Oscar-winning director came in and had a different idea I really doubt Disney is going to say, "Sorry, but we're going to side with Pablo Hidalgo over you!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, but the story group consists of a handful of mid-tier Lucasbooks editors who are the exact same people who let the continuity and canon over the last few years of the EU go completely to poo poo because they themselves didn't give a poo poo. If some red-hot Oscar-winning director came in and had a different idea I really doubt Disney is going to say, "Sorry, but we're going to side with Pablo Hidalgo over you!"

Other than Clone Wars continuity, I don't think anything from the EU ever really 'went to poo poo'. They tried SO hard to do minimal retcons to make everything fit, and for the most part succeeded.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Other than Clone Wars continuity, I don't think anything from the EU ever really 'went to poo poo'. They tried SO hard to do minimal retcons to make everything fit, and for the most part succeeded.

The stuff about Luke's mom from the Black Fleet Crisis is slightly problematic. I mean, I guess Padme could have been up to some crazy poo poo we didn't know about, but...probably that doesn't work.

Though that's hardly the fault of the canon people. Lucas is as Lucas does.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 10, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^At the end it turns out they were lying to Luke.

They let Dark Nest, LOTF, and FOTJ happen.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 10, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jivjov posted:

If we're lucky the Story Group will be powerless to do that and just end up managing spinoff products for nerds.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

That'd be completely awful in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

^At the end it turns out they were lying to Luke.

Well. poo poo. That's what I get for commenting on something I read 15 years ago.