Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I had no opinion on Tampa Bay and I like to make fun of them for the no other teams jerseys can be seen thing, Hawks fans suck and they beat the Wild. Technically I favor Tampa Bay but really I can't muster a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Dollar Bill Wirtz was your classic old school executive. He would keep his office uncomfortably cold at all times so anyone who came in to do business would be thrown off their game. IIRC, he blocked out all natural light and had the classic oversized wood furniture decore like it was a set from the Hudsucker Proxy. After he died they of course had to do a moment of silence at the next home game and Rocky Wirtz being no fool knew what was coming and warned his family but even he was surprised at the tidal wave of boos that commenced.

Hail Satan

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Finally, either Brayden Timonen or Kimmo Coburn will win the cup they always deserved

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I had no opinion on Tampa Bay and I like to make fun of them for the no other teams jerseys can be seen thing, Hawks fans suck and they beat the Wild. Technically I favor Tampa Bay but really I can't muster a poo poo.

I mean, I get the Chicago hate (division rivals, 3 straight playoff losses, annoying bandwagon fans, etc..) but whats wrong with Tampa? They are a young team with a lot of potential superstars that play a faster more offense focused style of game which happens to be pretty fun to watch.

Unless this is just jealousy about your team not being rebuilt in the same way (which is basically being built like Chicago), in which case :smug:

onemillionzombies posted:

Dollar Bill Wirtz was your classic old school executive. He would keep his office uncomfortably cold at all times so anyone who came in to do business would be thrown off their game. IIRC, he blocked out all natural light and had the classic oversized wood furniture decore like it was a set from the Hudsucker Proxy. After he died they of course had to do a moment of silence at the next home game and Rocky Wirtz being no fool knew what was coming and warned his family but even he was surprised at the tidal wave of boos that commenced.

Hail Satan

The worst part about Wirtz was that he made being an out of town (or in my case, country) fan drat near impossible. These days the internet and streaming media makes it so loving easy but back in those days I didnt have that option so I had to rely on away games and TSN for my Hawks info. gently caress Bill Wirtz forever.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
DB Writz apparently made a concentrated effort to try and keep the N* in Minnesota and made Hawks fans whiny forever, so in that case he is pretty cool

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

onemillionzombies posted:

Dollar Bill Wirtz was your classic old school executive. He would keep his office uncomfortably cold at all times so anyone who came in to do business would be thrown off their game. IIRC, he blocked out all natural light and had the classic oversized wood furniture decore like it was a set from the Hudsucker Proxy.
That was his dad, Arthur Wirtz. When Arthur died, his office was left untouched and Bill stayed in his own office down the hall while keeping everything related to running the organization the same way it was under Arthur. Then when Bill croaked and Rocky took over, he moved right into Arthur's old office because that's how he rolls.

I don't post in these threads very often, but I've been a Hawks fan since 1994. Hail Satan. :getin:

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Ahh thanks. Wonder why I remembered that as Bill Wirtz.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Quennville you dickbrain, please play a Timonen in at least one finals game when you win the cup

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

NBC and Bettman sure dodged a bullet

Neil Best ‏@sportswatch
NBC's Game 7 rating Saturday in LA: 3.9. In Chicago: 26.6 (!)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm really hoping Q puts Toews/Kane back on separate lines but what the heck do I know

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Watching Tampa these playoffs, my greatest two conclusions are:

-- Victor Hedman, good lord did this guy get good fast. He is everywhere at once seemingly. My pick for the Norris next season

-- Ondrej Palat is also everywhere at once, his defense this year is even better than last year, he's the best backchecker on the team, let alone his ability to put up 60 points

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Vertical Lime posted:

Neil Best ‏@sportswatch

I know more Lightning fans in LA than Ducks fans. I blame gently caress Corey Perry, nobody wants to root for a dude like that.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Vertical Lime posted:

Neil Best ‏@sportswatch

all those fake fairweather fans spending saturday night watching the game

e: the highest rating the Ducks ever received in LA was a 6.0 when they won the 07 cup. Move them to Seattle please

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 31, 2015

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Maybe that's because their fans are in Orange County and San Diego.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I don't even like the Hawks that much, but living in Chicago right now is pretty cool. Hope they win.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

all those fake fairweather fans spending saturday night watching the game

That's probably because there's a lot more stuff to do in LA that's more fun than watching the Ducks.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
at this point i'm at peace with chicago winning and it'd actually be pretty alright if Tampa won too

The least worst options, i guess

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fateo McMurray posted:

That's probably because there's a lot more stuff to do in LA that's more fun than watching the Ducks.

Chicago isn't exactly lacking for nightlife either

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

Yeah but the Blackhawks are fun to watch

edit: what I'm saying here is gently caress the Ducks

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I can dig it.

Perry and Kessler not talking to the media is so Perry and Kessler and informs the don't complain real leadership narrative I'mma be trolling with for the next three years or so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

Things that only come out at night, maybe.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Things that only come out at night, maybe.

Don't worry, years of a corrupt police force, corrupt politics and clearly power tripping public officials keeps the hell on earth into strictly defined areas.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mastershakeman posted:

I'm really hoping Q puts Toews/Kane back on separate lines but what the heck do I know

Both Toews and Kane have been playing really well, especially Toews, since Q made the switch. I question a lot of Q's line decisions, but I can't really argue with his prolonged success, so I'm usually willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

They asked Joe Maddon, who's coached in the MLB for both Tampa Bay and Chicago, what he thought of the series, and he gave a very neutral "may the best team win."

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Both Toews and Kane have been playing really well, especially Toews, since Q made the switch. I question a lot of Q's line decisions, but I can't really argue with his prolonged success, so I'm usually willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

They asked Joe Maddon, who's coached in the MLB for both Tampa Bay and Chicago, what he thought of the series, and he gave a very neutral "may the best team win."

So the Hawks are gonna win the cup? Awesome

Thunderhorse Z
Sep 29, 2010

We're in a tight spot.
Kane and Toews are just doing their part to make sure the salary cap goes up. You guys are welcome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vicas posted:

at this point i'm at peace with chicago winning and it'd actually be pretty alright if Tampa won too

The least worst options, i guess

:agreed:

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
If Kimmo doesn't play anymore games in these playoffs, does he still get his name on the cup and a ring if they win?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

If Kimmo doesn't play anymore games in these playoffs, does he still get his name on the cup and a ring if they win?

Teams can submit a sort of voucher for players they think deserve it, which I'm sure will happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only issue with Chicago attendance right now is that the only people that can afford seats are firmly in the fairweather crowd. Kane/Toews/Sharp jerseys, half the game spent with their phone glued to their nose.

The "actual" fans fight over $200 nosebleeds or just stay at home to watch. Or have a favorite bar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Teams can submit a sort of voucher for players they think deserve it, which I'm sure will happen.

It could be rejected because of his situation though.

Usually you get credit for injuries, but he was with Philly then.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

The ring is a team thing and nothing the league has any control over. I am sure Kimmo gets a ring if they win. Dunno about the league accepting the petition to get his name on the Cup. Maybe Q will play him the usual 5 mins in a game to get his name there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It worked in keeping them away from Kesler who presumably is a better defensive center then Getzlaf , but I thought the Hawks struggled with possession when they merged those lines. Against TB I'd like to see Toews/Hossa against the triplets.

The real question is if Kruger is ok because his line doing well can win a series.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2015

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

As much as I want the Hawks to win, losing to the Lightning would be a much easier pill to swallow than losing to the Ducks would've been. It's hard for me to hate the Lightning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

It worked in keeping them away from Kesler who presumably is a better defensive center then Getzlaf , but I thought the Hawks struggled with possession when they merged those lines. Against TB I'd like to see Toews/Hossa against the triplets.

The real question is if Kruger is ok because his line doing well can win a series.

Counterpoint: Toews scoring a million goals once he had Kane on his line.

It was that hit at the bench that hurt Kruger, right? Hopefully it's just an ugly bruise.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
also there's the memorial cup final today. kelowna rockets vs oshawa generals. starts in two and a half hours

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Who knew that making fans pay $30 a month to watch regular season games would cause a city to lose interest in the team?
Doesn't explain the sudden fandom at road games. I don't notice that poo poo during Kings road games.

Go Bolts. Brian Boyle deserves it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

As much as I want the Hawks to win, losing to the Lightning would be a much easier pill to swallow than losing to the Ducks would've been. It's hard for me to hate the Lightning.

I wouldn't mind losing to any of the teams the Hawks have played/are playing not named the Ducks

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

RC Cola posted:

I wouldn't mind losing to any of the teams the Hawks have played/are playing not named the Ducks

Minnesota and Nashville are cool in my books. gently caress the Ducks w/o Teemu.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

mastershakeman posted:

I'm a little worried about that, too, although on paper a Saad-Toews-Kane line should not be as severely underwater in possession as the numbers indicated the last two games. I think part of it might have been the fact that they built large leads so quickly, which caused the D to press more but opened up numerous counter rushes. They also were down two forwards for a large part of last night's game, making it harder on everyone to sustain pressure.

Q said both Kruger and Bickell will be fine for the finals after the game, so hopefully that holds true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

Yeah I would've rooted for either the Wild or the Preds to win the whole thing if they beat the Hawks.

• Locked thread