Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They ran some kind of automated thing that added certain places (post offices, historical markers, etc) as portals. There's a LOT of post office portals here that are bogus, because there was one there once or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite are the "parks" which are two benches and a stand of trees next to a church... Which is already a portal. How is that just not still the church?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Brawnfire posted:

My favorite are the "parks" which are two benches and a stand of trees next to a church... Which is already a portal. How is that just not still the church?

If it's not really part of the church, then it's private property vs public property

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Both the park and the church are portals, but on the same parcel. The park is just a sitting area.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

54 days on the Sojourner medal however I'm flying off-shore for work on Monday. Back to square-one :downsgun:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That medal is dumb. It pretty much means "this person never goes camping". At least with guardians you can pass a key off to someone else for a weekend.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Javid posted:

That medal is dumb. It pretty much means "this person never goes camping". At least with guardians you can pass a key off to someone else for a weekend.

You'd be surprised how many camping areas have portals now. I was climbing Allen Mountain a few weeks back only to find out the sign at the top was in fact a portal.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Javid posted:

No, that medal is dumb because it implies that hacking a portal every 24 hours provides some value or level of accomplishment.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drewhead posted:

No, that medal is dumb because it implies that hacking a portal every 24 hours provides some value or level of accomplishment.

Most people in my local group, including me, were originally under the impression one was meant to hack a single particular portal daily. Getting to that particular portal and hacking it every 24 hour period seemed like a pretty good challenge. Nope, just hack any old portal. Ok.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I wish Sojourner asked you to hack a different portal every 24 hours, that would be a nice challenge (If a bit of a dick move to people living in rural areas).

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I forgot to upload this one a while back. Blizzard employees takes Ingress very seriously lol

Brawnfire posted:

Most people in my local group, including me, were originally under the impression one was meant to hack a single particular portal daily. Getting to that particular portal and hacking it every 24 hour period seemed like a pretty good challenge. Nope, just hack any old portal. Ok.

Wow that explains alot, I wondered why that achiev popped when i knew for a fact that I hadn't met my expected requirements

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 23, 2015

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
How come when I am approaching portals the scanner tells me "Link Possible" but when I try to link it says none available?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

How come when I am approaching portals the scanner tells me "Link Possible" but when I try to link it says none available?

The"link" button turns just clickable when you are in-range and all resonator slots are full.

When you click the button, the app actually scans the keys you're holding to see if anything is linkable.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Also, remember that a portal can only have 8 outward links.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Can you remove one of the 8 links to see if a better one is possible?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

You could virus it to the opposite color then virus it back after an hour. :v:

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Short answer: No ... ish

Long Answer: In a manner. The only way to drop a link is dropping a given portal to < 3 resonators of the team that owns the link. You can do that to either end of the link. If your team owns the link then you need to Jarvis the portal (dropping all links). So for a portal A with 8 links you could go to the destination of one of those links, portal B, Jarvis portal B, return to portal A, and see if there is something you can throw. But no one does this, Jarvis are too valuable to waste on something like this.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you hit the outgoing link limit, it's probably easier to throw links *in* than trying to drop one friendly link.

Or just find another portal. You've already built a high-value target for the other team to attack.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
My cell is participating in a satellite cell for this weekend's anomaly. Oh man this is gonna be absurd.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Pillow Armadillo posted:

My cell is participating in a satellite cell for this weekend's anomaly. Oh man this is gonna be absurd.

I'm looking forward to being on the ground during the anomaly. One of the clusters is on the Mall, surrounding the Reflecting Pool.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So I'm level 5.7 been playing about a week. I have about 10 portals within 150m of my house, but they see a lot of traffic so they often change sides.
What should I be doing to defend my nearby portals? Should I be using my mods like portal shields or turrents or wait to a higher level?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Portal defense is a losing battle. Ignoring the rare case of a guardian, there's very little value in worrying about holding an unlinked portal.

Until level 8, you're playing for AP so be happy when things flip. After 8, hopefully you've met some people and might want to play for team MU score. At that point there's strategy to knowing your opponent's play patterns, knowing what portals have limit-access at different times of day, and paying attention to upcoming MU checkpoints every 5 hours so your fields count.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 28, 2015

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

So I'm level 5.7 been playing about a week. I have about 10 portals within 150m of my house, but they see a lot of traffic so they often change sides.
What should I be doing to defend my nearby portals? Should I be using my mods like portal shields or turrents or wait to a higher level?

You can recharge on top of shielding, but this is true:

eddiewalker posted:

Portal defense is a losing battle.

The only point in "defense" in this game is to make the opposition use more weapons, force them to use a virus, or make them tired of trying to take it down so that they move on. It's more a means to annoy than to actually defend.

Also, you should want those portals to change hands while leveling so you don't have to go very far for AP. It took me twice as long as my fellow agents to get to 8 because I had to drive 20+ minutes to find portals I could attack or that I could field from.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You recharge while they're attacking the portals you don't care about so they run out of weapons or interest before they hit the portals you do care about. It's not as worthless as it used to be but it's still a joke. A few attackers can take down an AXA shielded farm with several people recharging it, it's complete bullshit.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So there is this old cemetery in my AO filled with portals. Is there a reason why nobody is linking these up?
Is it a waste of resonators because nobody lives there? Is the only use for this a hack farm?
Should I be trying to flip these everyday or keep them the other team color for better hacks? I'm level 6 now.

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

So there is this old cemetery in my AO filled with portals. Is there a reason why nobody is linking these up?
Is it a waste of resonators because nobody lives there? Is the only use for this a hack farm?
Should I be trying to flip these everyday or keep them the other team color for better hacks? I'm level 6 now.

https://www.ingress.com/intel?ll=32.07536,-81.08999&z=20
switch to satellite for a better view, i live in a very portal rich environment

Link it up to your hearts content. You're still playing for pure AP to hit 8. After level 8 it may feel like a waste spending that much time in a cemetery just to give the other team something to smash, but for now you should make as many 1MU fields as possible.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Link it up to your hearts content. You're still playing for pure AP to hit 8. After level 8 it may feel like a waste spending that much time in a cemetery just to give the other team something to smash, but for now you should make as many 1MU fields as possible.

Yea, you live in a tourist destination. Those kinds of environments tend to be quite fluid. The 8+ players in your area aren't chasing AP like you are < 8, and with out of towers coming through all the time it's not worth their time most likely. DT Savannah is about a portal rich as they come. You can hit 8 in a day if you spend the time to make lots of small fields.

I would suggest you make contact with your local team. Up here we've gotten some push back from cemetery admins who do not like all the traffic circling their loops playing a game. They've let us know that we are not welcome. We're trying to work with them and Niantic to get those portals removed, but until then it's an honor system of respect to their wishes (which the other team doesn't see fit to observe).

Unrelated: Our local Frogs have started littering our farm with keys/low level res or xmp. So clicking on a portal to hack generates a list of "Did you mean this portal, or this key, or this key, or this xmp, etc..." and Opps you just drove out of range. Annoying a hell!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

drewhead posted:

Yea, you live in a tourist destination. Those kinds of environments tend to be quite fluid. The 8+ players in your area aren't chasing AP like you are < 8, and with out of towers coming through all the time it's not worth their time most likely. DT Savannah is about a portal rich as they come. You can hit 8 in a day if you spend the time to make lots of small fields.

I would suggest you make contact with your local team. Up here we've gotten some push back from cemetery admins who do not like all the traffic circling their loops playing a game. They've let us know that we are not welcome. We're trying to work with them and Niantic to get those portals removed, but until then it's an honor system of respect to their wishes (which the other team doesn't see fit to observe).

Unrelated: Our local Frogs have started littering our farm with keys/low level res or xmp. So clicking on a portal to hack generates a list of "Did you mean this portal, or this key, or this key, or this xmp, etc..." and Opps you just drove out of range. Annoying a hell!

Back in the old days you could lock out a portal completely by standing directly on it and dropping poo poo on it. It prevented a player entirely from selecting the portal if they didn't already have a key.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Back in the old days you could lock out a portal completely by standing directly on it and dropping poo poo on it. It prevented a player entirely from selecting the portal if they didn't already have a key.

I remember those days. Those were good days.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It was an amazingly effective way for even a low level player to gently caress up an enemy L8 flash farm. Doubly so because the game choked pretty hard if you tried to pick up items off the ground too fast.

ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED
ITEM PICKUP FAILED

And...even if they did manage to pick up all that poo poo they then had clogged inventory of poo poo items they could only recycle one at a time. Such a great griefing tool.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I remember when you could crash the scanner completely by dropping more than 1000 items within view of a portal :corsair:

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Apparently you can kind of do this again. With the new view system only a certain amount of options will pop up. So if you drop like 10+ keys near a portal, the only options you may get are to pick up the keys. I don't think it would work 100% of the time though since sometimes this new option menu doesn't even come up when I actually need it.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Barrista posted:

Apparently you can kind of do this again. With the new view system only a certain amount of options will pop up. So if you drop like 10+ keys near a portal, the only options you may get are to pick up the keys. I don't think it would work 100% of the time though since sometimes this new option menu doesn't even come up when I actually need it.

Some of our not-so-well-adjusted players have done this to work portals locally. It's like the new link amp and flip.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

jeef posted:

Some of our not-so-well-adjusted players have done this to work portals locally. It's like the new link amp and flip.

This is war. Get used to the other side not making your life easier.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There's a line between playing and griefing, and spamming a portal with keys so people can't access it is definitely in the latter camp.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Javid posted:

There's a line between playing and griefing, and spamming a portal with keys so people can't access it is definitely in the latter camp.

On which side of the line is campfiring with linkamps and then virusing?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Playing, because it's within the intended game mechanics, costs a (nominally) rare item, and the portal isn't unusable, just lovely, and only so until they blow it up again or you flip it yourself.

I prefer to just leave those like they are; either somebody not in on the joke will blow it up for you eventually and the problem is solved, or the entire enemy faction conspires to never attack that portal again and you have an immortal level 8 portal.

Dropping a billion keys to make the client crash or block a portal from being accessed is just bug abuse.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

I don't see it being much different than causing a stampede to take down a fence some new homesteaders threw up over the cattle trail that's been there for years.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

This is war. Get used to the other side not making your life easier.

Actually, it's a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.

Javid posted:

Dropping a billion keys to make the client crash or block a portal from being accessed is just bug abuse.

I'll go ahead and vehemently disagree here. It's annoying, sure, but not bug abuse. The client hasn't crashed due to item drops in well over a year, and the first thing we did when this new change came out was farmed up a bunch of keys and dropped them on a desk cluster, to see if one could obfuscate the portal entirely. You can't. We dropped something like a thousand keys, too. Clicking the portal is less difficult than getting a screenshot with one of the six options to NOT be a portal.

https://plus.google.com/106792688726530276986/posts/EQb47TjaEzn

My only regret is that my op name "Dick Dropping Dick's on Dicks" was rejected in favor of "Parade of A Thousand Dick's."

• Locked thread