Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also note that Pandas has some basic plotting capacities (MPL-based ofc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I notice your requirements didn't include being Pythonic... There is always the option of plotting by programming R in Python with ggplot. The interface is rather R-like, but ggplot in R makes a lot more sense than Matlab's plotting so it is a step up, and it is integrated fairly well with Pandas and statsmodels,

Call that an implied requirement. My main beef with matplotlib (while admitting it's a powerful package lots of people love) is that it just doesn't stick to my brain and feels like I'm swapping to another language when I do plotting. And should you look at the source to see how things work, you're confronted with a whole lot of functions using kwargs.

Doing an R call may be the way to go.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

To be clear, the library I linked is actually a Python library that just happens to have an interface very very similar to ggplot has in R.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

To be clear, the library I linked is actually a Python library that just happens to have an interface very very similar to ggplot has in R.

And it looks pretty good from what I've seen of it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

outlier posted:

Call that an implied requirement. My main beef with matplotlib (while admitting it's a powerful package lots of people love) is that it just doesn't stick to my brain and feels like I'm swapping to another language when I do plotting. And should you look at the source to see how things work, you're confronted with a whole lot of functions using kwargs.

Doing an R call may be the way to go.
I think that's being a bit too down on matplotlib - you can still do reasonably pythonic stuff that would be rather different in Matlab. Like, iterating over axes to set their properties etc.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Sitting down over a weekend and reading the docs and tweaking my matplotlibrc file to my liking was one of the best things I ever did. While I went through the docs, I created dummy template files that have the code for the most common plots I do, so now I just copy and paste it over and I'm off to the races. I tried out seaborn and some of the other graphics libraries, but just always came back to matplotlib.

Cingulate posted:

I think that's being a bit too down on matplotlib - you can still do reasonably pythonic stuff that would be rather different in Matlab. Like, iterating over axes to set their properties etc.

Yeah, this is really nice as well. Especially when you are handling multiple subplots in one figure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Yes, it's much better than plotting in Matlab, but it could still use some improvement. Better documentation would be a good start, since matplotlib isn't doing much better than Matlab in that regard, and I think that both Matlab and matplotlib are practically impenetrable to new users who want to do something other than the most basic poo poo. Plus all of the aspects of matplotlib that were designed to mimic Matlab resulted in a bunch of methods and functions that are just frustrating to use, and it feels like the more Pythonic side of things was neglected.

For instance, if you create a new Figure, and then want to plot something on an old Figure, how do you do that? There are two solutions as far as I can tell

1) Call figure(N) where N is a magic number referring to the old figure, then call pyplot.plot. This is the Matlab style of doing things and it sucks.

2) Using the old Figure instance, call Figure.add_subplot(1,1,1) to get an Axes object, then call Axes.plot. This is way more Pythonic, but still pretty awkward. Instead, it would be to be able to call Figure.plot, which would return an Axes object. Basically, it shouldn't be necessary to call add_subplot in the case where you only want a single plot on the figure.

I don't take issue with there being a Matlab style of doing things, since the developers wanted to appeal to Matlab users as well as Python users. I take issue with the basic Tutorial offering only the Matlab solution. I also take issue with the Python solution being so clunky, which suggests to me that the Pythonic side of matplotlib has a lot of neglect. It would be really nice if matplotlib provided a "For MATLAB users" tutorial next to a "For PYTHON users" tutorial that would address the respective styles of these very different languages. Instead, most of the tutorials provide the Matlab-style solution, with all of the global imports and magic numbers and horrible bullshit code that you'd expect to see in a Matlab script.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
EDIT:Figured my problem out. In my executemany statement, I had movieList inside the quotes containing the SQL statement, instead of outside. Moving it outside the quotes fixed my problem. I'll leave the problem incase it may help any other beginners.

Ok, I'm stuck. I'm trying to scrape an XML file full of TV show info and save it to a database. Figured it'll teach me a little bit about both. So, I've successfully scraped the XML file and can parse out the Title and the ID. The XML file looks very similar to this, except it holds information on about 50,000 shows.

Since I can successfully scrape and print out the tv show Title and ID, I added code to commit it to an sqlite3 database. When trying to execute the script, I receive the error:
code:
File "python_tvRage_allshows_xml.py", line 15, in <module>
    c.executemany("INSERT INTO tv_shows VALUES (?,?), movieList")
TypeError: function takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
I figure it means my list isn't getting split into TITLE and ID when I try and commit it but I can't figure it out. Any tips?

Below is the code I'm trying to execute. Below that is the script I initially used to create my db.
Python code:
import xml.etree.ElementTree as ET
import sqlite3
conn = sqlite3.connect('tvrage.db')
c = conn.cursor()

movieList = []

tree = ET.parse('./Downloads/show_list.xml')
root = tree.getroot()
for show in root.findall('show'):
    title = show.find('name').text
    id = show.find('id').text
    movieList.append([title, id])

conn.commit()
conn.close()

Python code:
import sqlite3
conn = sqlite3.connect('tvrage.db')

c = conn.cursor()
c.execute('''CREATE TABLE tv_shows (title TEXT, id TEXT)''')
conn.commit()
conn.close()

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 24, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks like a typo. I believe it'll work if you change:
code:
to
code:
c.executemany("INSERT INTO tv_shows VALUES (?,?)", movieList)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

code:
to
code:

Good eyes! As soon as I submitted it I went back and took a look at the python docs example and caught the mistake. Corrected it and launched the script. It ran just fine. :3:

Thanks.

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

Speaking of Bokeh, we just had a 0.9 release last week. You can now add callback on selections and widgets with a handful of lines of JavaScript so that all kinds of rich interactions are possible without a server (i.e. in static HTML documents). You can see some simple examples in in the Adding Interactions section of the new User's Guide.

FWIW I use to work on Chaco (years ago.. I added contour and image plots to it, among other things). If you need interactive plotting solely for rich clients it's definitely an option, tho I find it a bit excessively fiddly, syntax-wise.

BigRedDot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 25, 2015

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
I have a couple years of professional experience as a SW engineer, and I just accepted a new job in a Python shop. I'm familiar with the basics of Python and have written small scripts and ETL stuff with it before, but have never really used it in a professional capacity. I'm looking for one or more books to read to help me get up to speed. I'm not looking for something targeted at beginning programmers, but but rather something that will teach me the ins and outs and how to be "pythonic." I'm not sure which version of Python they use, but I do know that they use Tornado extensively. Any recommendations?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Fluent Python. It's written for Python 3 but calls out the differences from 2, which is what your job will be using.

more like dICK fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 27, 2015

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
Thanks, I'll check that out. They only started using Python about two years ago, so there is an outside possibility that they may be using 3.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I seem to be getting "Forbidden 403, CSRF cookie not set" on IE, FIreFox, and Chrome, when running the local dev server. I'm getting the error when submitting the standard django admin site login form. I don't think it's likely that all of a sudden none of the browsers on my machine are accepting cookies. What else could cause this? I can see the csrfmiddlewaretoken hidden input in the html source.

Edit: Django 1.7.7

Edit: vvv Whoops! Thank you.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 28, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

epalm posted:

I seem to be getting "Forbidden 403, CSRF cookie not set" on IE, FIreFox, and Chrome, when running the local dev server. I'm getting the error when submitting the standard django admin site login form. I don't think it's likely that all of a sudden none of the browsers on my machine are accepting cookies. What else could cause this? I can see the csrfmiddlewaretoken hidden input in the html source.

Edit: Django 1.7.7

FWIW, there's a Django thread.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Solved.
I'm stumped on a problem in Flask. I'm trying to test how to submit input and do something with it, then return it to the user. In this case, the user enters a string and submits it, and the webapp returns the string in all uppercase. My problem is understanding the routes and how GET/POST works.

This code right here works as intended:
Python code:
@app.route('/user')
def my_form():
    return render_template("user_input.html")

@app.route('/', methods=['POST'])
def my_form_post():

text = request.form['text']
    processed_text = text.upper()
    return processed_text
My problem is when I change the approute that handles the POST to be '/user'. I get my initial form to submit my string, but when I submit it I receive the error "The method is not allowed for the requested URL." Here is the code that does NOT work:
Python code:
@app.route('/user')
def my_form():
    return render_template("user_input.html")

@app.route('/user', methods=['POST'])
def my_form_post():

text = request.form['text']
    processed_text = text.upper()
    return processed_text
I'm hacking this together from an example on stackoverflow so I'm thinking I'm missing a simple concept. Can I get user input and return an output on the same app.route path?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 29, 2015

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
What does the html for your form look like? Is the "action" attribute pointing to your new route?

more like dICK fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 29, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

more like dICK posted:

What does the html for your form look like? Is the "action" attribute pointing to your new route?

HTML code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<body>
    <h1>Enter some text</h1>
    <h2>(it will be converted to uppercase)</h2>
    <form action="." method="POST">
        <input type="text" name="text">
        <input type="submit" name="user_input" value="Send">
    </form>
</body>
</html>
Changed my action to "./user" and that got it working. Thanks.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 29, 2015

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

more like dICK posted:

Fluent Python. It's written for Python 3 but calls out the differences from 2, which is what your job will be using.

Not necessarily. My side job (rather large Django app and lots of automation scripting) runs everything on 3.4.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

code:
to
code:
Incidentally, this is a good time to mention you should reexamine your choice of editor.

Most editors will use a different color for the contents of python string literals (eg "words inside quotes") so you know when/if you've terminated your quotes properly. In this case you would have quickly seen that the entirety of the code inside c.executemany was a single string, which is probably not what you wanted.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ShadowHawk posted:

Incidentally, this is a good time to mention you should reexamine your choice of editor.

Most editors will use a different color for the contents of python string literals (eg "words inside quotes") so you know when/if you've terminated your quotes properly. In this case you would have quickly seen that the entirety of the code inside c.executemany was a single string, which is probably not what you wanted.

Not only that, but PyCharm would specifically switch to an SQL context when the cursor was inside the SQL statement and do syntax highlighting and code completion.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Some posters recently recommended I learn about testing, and coincidentally the next Coursera course in the series I'm taking is testing focused. So far so good but one question is bugging me. I know how to run a test suite to test for situations where I know the expected result, but how do I test with randomness? For example, while making a game I initialize a game board and can easily test that the initialization works as expected. Then I add a number to a random square. Using my testing suite, there isn't an expected value for the board to compare to the computed value. Obviously this case is trivial and can easily be tested by just printing the board, but what about for more complex functions? Again, this might be a tough question to tackle in a forums post.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

Some posters recently recommended I learn about testing, and coincidentally the next Coursera course in the series I'm taking is testing focused. So far so good but one question is bugging me. I know how to run a test suite to test for situations where I know the expected result, but how do I test with randomness? For example, while making a game I initialize a game board and can easily test that the initialization works as expected. Then I add a number to a random square. Using my testing suite, there isn't an expected value for the board to compare to the computed value. Obviously this case is trivial and can easily be tested by just printing the board, but what about for more complex functions? Again, this might be a tough question to tackle in a forums post.
Fix the random seed?

random.seed(0) etc

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

dantheman650 posted:

Some ways to do it:

Use a fixed random seed and make a test for whatever you happen to get out:
This is pretty fragile, but it can be okay if you have a result that must never change.
Python code:
    random.seed(0)
    vampire.stealLife(player)
    self.assertEqual(old_player_health - player.health, 4)  # We know that randrange returns 4
Make a mock random generator and specify exactly what the test should roll:
Python code:
    with mock.patch.object(random, 'randrange') as mock_randrange:
        mock_randrange.return_value = 4
        vampire.steal_life(player)
        mock_randrange.assert_called_once_with(0, 5)
        self.assertEqual(4, old_player_health - player.health)
When your project gets bigger and you're making abstractions you can hide randomness at the lower levels - so you could make a board initialization function that takes a square picker, and a square picker that takes a random number generator, and when you unit test the board initialization, you make a mock square picker that picks the tile you want.

Or you can go with the randomness and check invariants instead of comparing to an exact result:
Python code:
    vampire.steal_life(player)
    lost_life = old_player_health - player.health
    self.assertGreaterEqual(lost_life, 1, 'Should steal at least one hp')
    self.assertLessEqual(lost_life, 4, 'Should steal at most four hp')
    self.assertEqual(lost_life, vampire_health - old_vampire_health, 'The stolen hp should be added to the vampire')

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Does anyone have a good resource for understanding decorators? I'm roughly a month into learning Python and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around them. They're just an easy way to pass one function to another as an argument? Why do I want to do that?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Baby Babbeh posted:

Does anyone have a good resource for understanding decorators? I'm roughly a month into learning Python and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around them. They're just an easy way to pass one function to another as an argument? Why do I want to do that?

Have you read this: http://thecodeship.com/patterns/guide-to-python-function-decorators/ ?

Also, have a look at the Python Decorator Library.

Thanks for the awesome example of using mock.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

Let's say you're trying to figure out a codebase someone else wrote

Python code:
def dump_args(func: FunctionType) -> FunctionType:
    """
    This might make debugging easier
    """
    @wraps(func)
    def new_func(*args, **kwargs):
        print('CALL', func, 'with args', args, 'and kwargs', kwargs, '\n')
        result = func(*args, **kwargs)
        print('RESULT', func, 'returned', result, 'of type', type(result), '\n')

return result

return new_func
Stick a @dump_args on a bunch of methods/functions and you'll get a map of how poo poo flows through the program

Or you have a set of functions that interact w/ a system/session/request/etc with the same setup or tear down behavior
Python code:
def handle_session(func: FunctionType) -> FunctionType:
    """
    Simple decorator function that will handle the session
    for us.
    """

@wraps(func)
    def new_func(session: scoped_session, *args, **kwargs):
            with session_handler(session) as db_session:
                try:
                    return func(db_session, *args, **kwargs)

except DB_EXCEPTION as ex:
                    db_session.rollback()

raise DatabaseException("Bad stuff") from ex

return new_func

# now you can do
@handle_session
def insert_row(db_session, row):
    modified_row = do_stuff(row)
    db_session.merge(modified_row)

@handle_session
def delete_row(db_session, row):
    db_session.delete(row)

# instead of 
def insert_row(session, row):
    with session_handler(session) as db_session:
           try:
                modified_row = do_stuff(row)
                db_session.merge(modified_row)

except DB_EXCEPTION as ex:
                db_session.rollback()

raise DatabaseException("Bad stuff") from ex

# etc

They let you factor out common behavior that a set of functions share. You can stick a @handle_session on a function and not have to deal with a context manager or handling certain exceptions over and over again in each function body.

---

PEP-0492: async & await and PEP-0484: type hints have been accepted.

Good: Python is becoming slow C#
Bad: Comments can mean something other than "ignore everything after the # until a new line"

salisbury shake fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

salisbury shake posted:

Bad: Comments can mean something other than "ignore everything after the # until a new line"

I think everyone involved acknowledges that this isn't the best possible solution, but getting PEP-0484 accepted for 3.5 wasn't going to happen with new syntax and supporting 3.4 was definitely not going to happen with new syntax.

Guido seems to favor new syntax for this in 3.6.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Thanks for the help, accipter & salisbury shake. That makes it a bit clearer to me. I think I wasn't getting it because the test code I was given to explain it was just a useless function that demonstrated that the original function wouldn't run, so I couldn't see why I'd want to write a decorator like that rather than just modifying the original function. Decorators seem like they could be really handy!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

salisbury shake posted:

Stick a @dump_args on a bunch of methods/functions and you'll get a map of how poo poo flows through the program
Okay now I get it.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

That said, it is pretty much just convenient syntax. You could equivalently add

Python code:
some_func = dump_args(some_func)
for each function. The decorator syntax turns this from a weird trick into a readable language feature, even if under the hood it's the same thing.

Someone who has read PEP492 and understands asyncio better than I do: what's the significance for this with asnycio applications? Is it basically replacing yield from with await to make the meaning more transparent? Or does it include deeper changes?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Is it basically replacing yield from with await to make the meaning more transparent?

Yes. Using @asyncio.coroutine and yield from will continue to work as before, though.

It's kind of a weird thing they did, but I guess they wanted to not introduce any new keywords for 3.4.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there any downside for the average Python hobbyist to use Anaconda? It looks like it comes with a ton of great modules.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Hughmoris posted:

Is there any downside for the average Python hobbyist to use Anaconda? It looks like it comes with a ton of great modules.

No downside, but if you use python properly (ie. a virtualenv for each project) there's not much upside either.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

No.

I guess the default install is kind of huge, like a couple of GB. So if you're using a 20 year-old machine, that could be an issue.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

It doesn't play well with Qt5.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Nippashish posted:

No downside, but if you use python properly (ie. a virtualenv for each project) there's not much upside either.

I would say the upside of Conda/Anaconda is ease of installation in Windows.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

accipter posted:

I didn't think of that because I never use python on windows, but that is a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

accipter posted:

Anaconda is also great for enterprise environments where getting Anaconda approved is one piece of paperwork, and you can't run "pip install" etc., because instead you're supposed to do more paperwork for each module.

• Locked thread