Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

What is the stopping distance of a tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

Depends on the surface and how fast it's going, but pretty quick. When you stomp on the brakes it locks up the drive sprocket and the tracks so any energy left over after that gets bled off as the track pads skid over your driving surface. Think of it as flooring the brake pedal in a car with no traction control, but your car also weighs 60-70 tons.

The car probably helped reduce the distance though. :v:

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

old but fits the question

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

warcake posted:

old but fits the question

:stare:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Love the dude poppin out at the end like "waddap lil' bitches, now tell me: who winced?"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mad Dragon posted:

As mentioned before, tanks stop loving quick. On the right surface you can stop from 40 mph in about a tank length.

You do that without warning, however, and your entire crew will take turns sodomizing you with a medium size potted plant.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
having your face slam into the optic eyepiece on a bradley when your driver slams on the brakes isn't fun.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Yeah, they can do that but it really isn't fun to go from the back of the vehicle compartment to the front of it at said 40 mph.

Also lol at the seatbelts they always had in our vehicles that were never once loving used.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Thump! posted:

Also lol at the seatbelts they always had in our vehicles that were never once loving used.

When you're hitching a ride in an ATV (cv-90) fully geared up, it's not close to possible finding that belt. I wish it was, because I don't trust tankers.

Slamming that back door close, whilst I was fiddling with the mic cable stuck in the door opening. At least I got away with 10 fingers.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Glad I was light. gently caress your sardine cans.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
It was a dark day when they installed the mine protection floor plate :qq:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Glad I was light. gently caress your sardine cans.

WHAT WAS THAT? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF THE MASSIVE ERECTION I HAVE INSIDE THIS THING.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Daktari posted:

When you're hitching a ride in an ATV (cv-90) fully geared up, it's not close to possible finding that belt. I wish it was, because I don't trust tankers.

Slamming that back door close, whilst I was fiddling with the mic cable stuck in the door opening. At least I got away with 10 fingers.

It's a similar situation in amtracs generally. When you stuff 20 dudes in the back though, the bodies smashed together acts as its own crash protection :haw:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I had to sit in an amtrak once and it broke down while we were crossing some body of water.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Light infantry, never having experienced the joy of disassembling a mud into component parts with a 25mm cannon. I feel sorry for you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The speed regulator on the door on one of our strykers was malfunctioning once, making the thing close, with slat armor, in a little over a second. It was terrifying.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
Was woken up during a 6 hour drive from Balad to Ramadi in the back of a stryker to a lot of smoke when the engine caught on fire. Everyone took the opportunity to piss off of the top of the vehicle while we were stopped and then we got towed the rest of the way

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Reverand maynard posted:

I had to sit in an amtrak once and it broke down while we were crossing some body of water.

Riding an amtrak into a body of water is right up there with jumping out of a perfectly functional airplane on the list of things I'd never, ever loving do.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Got to drive an M-60 a million years ago.

It only takes a couple of minutes before it sinks in that there is almost nothing, anywhere, that you can't drive over or through with little consequence. Massive erection, indeed.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 3, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

It only takes a couple of minutes before it sinks in that there is almost nothing, anywhere, that you can't drive over or through with little consequence.

...Except K rails, apparently.

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
The only reason I became a tanker instead of a different MOS is because I played operation flashpoint in high school and saw how invulnerable tanks were, and that decision totally saved my life once or twice

now im playing the sims and im gonna start a family

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSSaqt8FIp8

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

wheres the super white pop song at?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm guessing the Dutch or whoever that is are just less gay.

Edit: I didn't realize those helmets were being exported.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

krispykremessuck posted:

should have been buster hymen and the penetrators, that guy really whiffed the joke there

Buster Gonad was a comic book character: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Gonad

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

drgitlin posted:

Buster Gonad was a comic book character: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Gonad

Oh my god, some sperglord added the tail number of the Jaguar with the Buster Gonad nose art to his wikipedia page.

I've always been a fan of pun nose art. (Duke Spook and Libra aren't puns, I know.)

:nws:Alarm Belle

:nws:Overexposed

:nws:Squirter

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/centennial/Documents/Heritage%20Paint%20Project.pdf

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

also, here's the shell from one of those things

CuteJen96 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 4, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

I'm guessing the Dutch or whoever that is are just less gay.

Edit: I didn't realize those helmets were being exported.

I've seen plenty of official MoD vids with horrible music on that channel, don't know what's changed.

Those helmets have been around for a couple of years now, and IIRC at least the Norwegians and Danes have got them as well.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Riding an amtrak into a body of water is right up there with jumping out of a perfectly functional airplane on the list of things I'd never, ever loving do.

I kept waiting for it to turn into a one way submarine ride.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Squirter owns.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh my god, some sperglord added the tail number of the Jaguar with the Buster Gonad nose art to his wikipedia page.

I've always been a fan of pun nose art. (Duke Spook and Libra aren't puns, I know.)

:nws:Alarm Belle

:nws:Overexposed

:nws:Squirter

What happened :smith:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

movax posted:

What happened :smith:

The moral majority.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I had a thought the other night to build a rifle, chambered in 30x173mm...

...And then I sobered up.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

I've always wondered if the guy flying the boom get serious butt pucker when fueling an F-22. The skin on that plane is kind of expensive and every picture I've seen of deployed aircraft shows the area around the refueling port totally beat to poo poo. I imagine it has a skid plate leading into the port that is just plain old aluminum but all it takes it one small twitch of the stick and you've put a dent in a panel that costs tax payers more than your GI bill benefits ever will.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I had a thought the other night to build a rifle, chambered in 30x173mm...

...And then I sobered up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device
Examples of destructive devices include firearms with a bore over one half of an inch.

I guess its legal as long as you make it muzzle loading though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Reverand maynard posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device
Examples of destructive devices include firearms with a bore over one half of an inch.

I guess its legal as long as you make it muzzle loading though.

You can legally register DDs in states that allow it. Live ammo would be subject to a tax stamp as well, though. For each cartridge.

:homebrew:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I kind of want all the crazy militia types to start making legal muzzle loaded kinetic field guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TxrNpdi8fE

:whatup:

• Locked thread