Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I hung out for a couple hours on Brandywine and if world chat is anything to go by, there's a lot more instance groups going over there. With a more populated world and a lot more instance groups running, this will be a much more fun game than it has been.

The Dregs posted:

Looking at two months of stay at home vacation. I am downloading this now. If it isn't too grindy I may just get into it for awhile. I like support classes, but I am pretty casual. Are they fun to play while leveling up?

Captains are pretty fun to level, but are one of the slowest levelers. I wouldn't call the game grindy at all anymore, and they have xp acceleration tokens available to speed things up considerably.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Dregs posted:

Looking at two months of stay at home vacation. I am downloading this now. If it isn't too grindy I may just get into it for awhile. I like support classes, but I am pretty casual. Are they fun to play while leveling up?

What would support be? Runekeeper, Minstrel are the main healing classes and both are fun to solo, I've heard for Minstrel anyway. I brought a RK to 25 and that was fun. Then you have Captain who're buffers and Loremasters who are pet-keepers and debuffers. I don't know about the former but the latter is pretty neat. You have a beast that'll generally ruin everyone's day and you use semi-magical attacks from a distance. Pretty easy to solo due to overpowered pets. Maybe it's changed?

Also I have a question. If you've been invited into an instance, say Sambrog, and you close that invitation window, how do you actually travel to the instance?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Minstrels and Lore-Masters are a lot of fun, but Captains bore me. Minstrels tap into the power of the Valar to nuke orcs with bagpipe music. Lore-Masters are basically wizards and can conjure animals that live only to kill. Captains swing a sword around and bully an underling with low self-esteem.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I'm a bow man hehe. The problem is I don't think I'll have a "oh I'm back now" type of moment. Just squeezing in 30 minutes when I can, where I can (which LOTRO supports pretty well!), but doesn't really give me time to do group content unfortunately. And it's going to be that way for the next six months or so at least (chemo treatments). I'd totally take a bow from ya, but don't feel that you have to use your symbol on me! It's not like this gold has any other use at the moment :).
Don't care, you deserve one. I'm sure another one will come up for me eventually anyway because I just accidentally bought level 95 jewellery instead of 100 so I need to grind 1500 stars of merit again to replace them.

The Dregs posted:

Minstrel would probably be a good choice for you. In solo play it's basically a steamroller, you can easily kite mobs so they die before they squish you, and you don't need to get a ton of super duper rad gear to be useful in a group if you make it to level cap. I like a dwarf minstrel because I don't like the sound of the other race's voices for mini skills. If you want something with a bit more challenging a runekeeper would probably work well.

bombhand fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 22, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

ArchWizard posted:

Captains swing a sword around and bully an underling with low self-esteem.

There's a reason my Captain's herald is named Patsy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Excuse me but Captains can use Halberds too and maybe big axes or clubs. :colbert:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Did they end up nerfing Minstrels a bit? I played one up to about level 45 and was killing poo poo in 1-2 hits. It was amusing but became ridiculous.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah that was my experience coming back to the game - from 25 through 75 I was just shouting things dead. Slows down a lot in Rohan though.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ruffz posted:

Did they end up nerfing Minstrels a bit? I played one up to about level 45 and was killing poo poo in 1-2 hits. It was amusing but became ridiculous.

That is probably because you had a legendary weapon every class does that at that point. The level scaling around there didn't level out until you actually were inside moria.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Sprawl posted:

That is probably because you had a legendary weapon every class does that at that point. The level scaling around there didn't level out until you actually were inside moria.

Nah I hadn't gone to get a legendary yet. I was doing that all the way from 1 to 45.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ruffz posted:

Nah I hadn't gone to get a legendary yet. I was doing that all the way from 1 to 45.

Oh well i'm sure it levels out eventually are you talking full red spec with that ah what's it called turn on damage mode with no healing? If so that's about what other characters do as well.

They did some very bad pre level 50 balancing because of all the stat changes post moria and scaling that they added but then never touched told world monster health pools.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah I got into West Rohan and all of a sudden I could no longer pull whole groups while watching Netflix. Jarring!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

ruffz posted:

I dunno if they made any changes because I don't know what things were like before, but that was my experience too pre-50. Higher levels, you're still killing stuff really fast, but in some areas it gets much harder to avoid picking up more mobs than you can easily handle. I died a fair amount from 75-95 because the line between "I can kill this mob/group before it kills me" and "Oh poo poo" is pretty fine, often depending on whether or not Chord of Salvation cools off in time.

The Dol Amroth dailies were the most frustrating for me at first because it's sometimes pretty hard to pick off one mob at a time since most of the roaming mobs are linked to one another. I started out having to approach it with like "as long as I kill one before I die, then I'll have fewer to deal with when I run back." Until I started getting pieces of level 100 gear I was having to retreat three or four times a run.

I'm glad I ended up going with a guardian as my other main toon; they couldn't be more different in solo play.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sprawl posted:

The basic LI's stats completely blow away every single pre-moria weapon. Even the really good level 50 teal stuff is a a couple levels below the start LI's max damage IIRC. The only other time such gaps really exist is if you get a full set of purple crafted gear immediately after the tutorial and unlocking mounted combat for certain classes.

Especially Captains because they get a ridiculously big AOE on a short cooldown and you can use that skill alone to clear out entire camps of enemies at no risk to yourself and you end up being able to kill poo poo faster via AOE than you could take down single targets on foot.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Did a couple of Mirkwood pug skraids last night, and a BB with Bomb. Game is still fun if you can find people to play with. C'mon server transfers.

Also, anyone around who can make me a second age 100 sword? Bomb being awesome as she is tossed me a spare symbol.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Executive Producer's letter came out a few days ago:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?569037-Summer-LOTRO-Executive-Producer%E2%80%99s-Letter

quote:

Hello again residents of Middle-earth!

I hope that you are enjoying Update 16: Ashes of Osgiliath as much as we are. The flowers of Ithilien are as beautiful as the destruction of war-torn Osgiliath is haunting.

Now that Update 16 is out, we are turning our attention to the next suite of work before us and I want to share some of those exciting developments with you. Our major content initiatives for the remainder of the year are:

-New PvMP Map: It is true, we are currently working on a new PvMP map which will take place in a version of Osgiliath. We are designing this space now and it should be going through its first round of feedback with the Player’s Council in the near future. It will also be getting extensive Beta feedback on Bullroarer when ready and released this summer.
-Adventures of Bingo Boffin: Also set for a summer release is this new episodic quest in which you will follow the trail of a new Hobbit friend Bingo Boffin as he traverses Middle-Earth. Each week a new episode of the quest will unlock showing you where Bingo is off to next.
-Minas Tirith: For the late Fall World Designer Chris Pierson is already hard at work carving this shining example of Middle-Earth beauty from stone…errr…ummm…code…a nd laying the ground work of an exciting and surprising take on the Siege of Gondor that will be unlike anything you have seen before. We are really excited about the plans, but won’t spoil them here.

In addition to our new content, we are kicking off a series of major service upgrades for The Lord of the Rings Online which should be completed by end of September of 2015. Let me outline the details of those changes.

-New Store: At the end of the month of June we will be transitioning to a completely new store that features more payment options, one click buys and a cleaner interface. As part of this transition, those of you relying on certain alternative payments will lose access to those payments beginning June 12th for a short amount of time. Within a month of that date, however, we should have a new store online that will provide many more payment options than we have had previously. We are also taking advantage of this opportunity to update and streamline the in game store to be a better experience all
-New Servers and Datacenters: We spoke about this Turbine wide upgrade at the beginning of the year and had expected to have it done by now, but weather and other obstacles set us back. We finally have some progress and we can safely say that by the end of September of 2015 we should have the servers moved to our new datacenters with upgraded hardware and Operating Systems. The US servers will operate from our new datacenter in New Jersey while our EU servers will move back to Europe and reside in our new datacenter in Amsterdam.
-Transfer Systems and Server Merge: To support the move to the upgraded server hardware we will be implementing an improved server transfer service that will run from the game launcher rather than a website. Once implemented, server transfers can be account or character based so that all your account level items including marks, Mithril coins, etc. can be transferred. We are also adding functionality that will allow Kin leaders to disband their Kin on one world and then recreate it on another maintaining status and achievements earned by that Kin over its lifetime. More details and breakdowns on all of this to coming in the next few weeks as we move into final phases of development and testing.

You will have 3 months past the date of the launch of the new service in which to continue playing on the smaller worlds while planning and or making your move to a larger server. After that point your characters will always be available to be transferred to one of the remaining worlds, however you will only be able to log in to the remaining servers. More details on all of this as well as detailed instructions on how to move will be provided in email, in-game mail as well as website and forums in the months to come.

Other Features: There are a number of other features we are still developing and are not at the point of talking about yet for the remainder of the year. More on all of these things as they come closer to fruition.

So as you can see it will be a very busy few months. We are really excited for these changes and what they mean for the future of Lord of the Rings Online and we hope you are as well!

More from me and the team soon,
Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters
Executive Producer

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Dang, kin-sized server transfers? That's serious business.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I don't think they said that. Just a kin leader can recreate and keep things unlocked. He'd still have to reinvite as people transferred over.

Still though, 2015 is shaping up to be a big year for our favorite dying MMO. New instances, new PvMP, server transfers...all things I didn't think we'd see again. If they could get a working group finder we'd really be set.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

With all those changes, maybe one day I'll come back and continue the slow grind of my Captain towards cap.

One day.

One day. :unsmith:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Executive Producer's letter came out a few days ago:

Sounds pretty good to me. A new PvP map plus server transfers creating heavily populated servers should give life to the game. The Bingo Boffin episodes may end up being pretty fun. I really hope updated character models is one of the things they're working on but can't talk about yet. That would do wonders for reviving LOTRO.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If anyone who is on hiatus still has DA tokens they don't want (except Library of course, hah), I'd love to take them off your hands. Especially Warehouse, Bank, Swan-knights, and Docks.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Some juicy bits from 16.1:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?569321-Update-16-1-Release-Notes-PRELIMINARY-AND-NON-FINAL-BULLROARER-ONLY

quote:

Add the ability to use multiple rep items at once: Shift-right-click on a stack of rep items to get a dialog which allows you to choose how many items you want to use. You can remap the mouse button/modifier for this action through the options/key mapping panel.
Endgame - Dol Amroth - Training Exercise: When accepting quests from an NPC during the Training Exercise instance, that NPC will now bestow all six quests instead of two quests at random.
Osgiliath -- Hunters can now make use of a camp site fire in the Osgiliath Culverts.
Central Gondor - It is now easier to obtain reputation with the Men of Ringlo Vale, Dor-en-Ernil, and Lower Lebennin. The bounty quests found in Dor-en-Ernil and Ringlo Vale now award more reputation on each of their three possible completions, and all of the repeatable quests available after finishing the main storyline of each area now award substantially more reputation.
Epic Battle, Instance, and Skirmish Mark and Medallion gains have been rebalanced. Epic Battles should give a little less, and Instances and Skirmishes should give significantly more. This should mean that Epic Battles no longer give so many more marks than other instances. The goal of this change is to give you more options for what content to run to get Marks.
Some instances have had their Mark drop rates increased less. These instances include Sambrog, School at Tham Mírdain, Library at Tham Mírdain, Iorbar's Peak, Ost Elendil, and Stoneheight. These instances should still give more marks than before, but other instances should now give similar Marks per hour.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

That Dol Amroth bit will be a welcome thing - people who are returning to the game will be able to get their initial level 100 gear much more quickly to move into the Osgiliath instances. I wonder if they'll remove or reduce the cooldowns/daily limits on the rep quests too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

bombhand posted:

That Dol Amroth bit will be a welcome thing - people who are returning to the game will be able to get their initial level 100 gear much more quickly to move into the Osgiliath instances. I wonder if they'll remove or reduce the cooldowns/daily limits on the rep quests too.

Why, the daily limits have been removed! You only need to purchase some mithril coins, conveniently located in the LOTRO store!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

You tricked me and I got excited for half a sentence :mad:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I hope Turbine stays ok with their WB overlords. In a move that surprised no one, they just announced that they'll be shutting down Infinite Crisis in a few months

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah just saw that about Infinite crisis, could be a good thing for LOTRO if they put some of that team back on it. Could be bad too if WB decides to just cut funding for Turbine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/19/world-of-warcraft-still-a-1b-powerhouse-even-as-subscription-mmos-decline/

I'm still skeptical as all gently caress about the numbers in that article, but if Lotro brought in 104 million in 2014 there's not enough cocaine in the world to make WB want to shut down Lotro. If Lotro's operating expenses are more than 20 million I'd be completely shocked. If the MMO brought in even 50 million last year and made 'only' ten million or so in profit there'd need to be a really compelling thing to get execs to even think of shutting it down. It apparently made more money than EVE Online did and that's a game with several hundred thousand subscribers.

Infinite Crisis always looked awful though and it was either that or Guardians of Middle Earth that was the really big resource stealer for Lotro. In an ideal world IC's shutdown was followed with "...and we're allocating as many of those people to Lotro as is feasible to do" but this is the gaming industry so pretty much everyone involved was probably fired in a big office wide meeting while IT locked them out of everything the night before.

However unless the revenue for Lotro that came out last year is completely made up, there's no way WB would get rid of it. A F2P with an understaffed crew bringing in 100 million dollars? That's margins that most games will never come close to seeing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Evil Fluffy posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/19/world-of-warcraft-still-a-1b-powerhouse-even-as-subscription-mmos-decline/

I'm still skeptical as all gently caress about the numbers in that article, but if Lotro brought in 104 million in 2014 there's not enough cocaine in the world to make WB want to shut down Lotro. If Lotro's operating expenses are more than 20 million I'd be completely shocked. If the MMO brought in even 50 million last year and made 'only' ten million or so in profit there'd need to be a really compelling thing to get execs to even think of shutting it down. It apparently made more money than EVE Online did and that's a game with several hundred thousand subscribers.

Infinite Crisis always looked awful though and it was either that or Guardians of Middle Earth that was the really big resource stealer for Lotro. In an ideal world IC's shutdown was followed with "...and we're allocating as many of those people to Lotro as is feasible to do" but this is the gaming industry so pretty much everyone involved was probably fired in a big office wide meeting while IT locked them out of everything the night before.

However unless the revenue for Lotro that came out last year is completely made up, there's no way WB would get rid of it. A F2P with an understaffed crew bringing in 100 million dollars? That's margins that most games will never come close to seeing.

Almost cried bullshit on that list until I realized FFXIV hadn't relaunched by then.

I loved playing this game with you guys and I hope it does well. It could use an engine revamp real bad, but otherwise I had a good time clowning around with goons as a Warden. If I had patience for MMOs still I'd probably still be playing. If those numbers are legit I'm glad it still has (tiny bird) legs to stand on.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Fried Sushi posted:

Yeah just saw that about Infinite crisis, could be a good thing for LOTRO if they put some of that team back on it. Could be bad too if WB decides to just cut funding for Turbine.

"LOTRO" is a really weird way to spell "Asheron's Call 3."

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Those were 2013 numbers in that report. I wonder if there's any 2014 numbers yet. I have no clue how they obtain their data, and if it's even legitimate. But if LOTRO is actually doing better than EVE (which is considered a financially successful MMO), things aren't as bleak as they seem. Things seem to be on a good track for this year, but man does this game ever need an update to character models. The game world still looks pretty to me after 8 years. It used to be they'd upgrade the graphics a bit with each expansion, but I'm not sure they do that anymore. Hurry up with account server transfers, Turbine :argh:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Quest packs and such on sale this week (https://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale). Good time to pick those up if you were close to needing one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is the Nazgun still on silverlode? I ask because the OP hasn't been updated in a year and a half, the membership spreadsheet is in the owner's trashcan, and I've never seen anyone on.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Azhais posted:

So is the Nazgun still on silverlode? I ask because the OP hasn't been updated in a year and a half, the membership spreadsheet is in the owner's trashcan, and I've never seen anyone on.

Yeah, just Silverlode is pretty dead and Nazgun isn't far behind. Right now me (Bruman) and Bombhand (various) are the only really active people (for US evening time, at least). Findraen just showed back up too though (not sure of their SA name). i think we might have a person or two who is online during the day.

I think there's also a fair amount of Nazgun folk who keep an eye on the thread and are waiting for server transfers (end of September was their last estimate, I think?) to make their triumphant returns.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm on at odd times doing deeds and what-not.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I've been crashing to desktop since yesterday's patch after about a few minutes of gameplay. I didn't have to search far to find others with the same problem. Seems connected to the radar smoothing animations (transitioning between zones and using maps seems to induce crashes, and maps can get really distorted), turning those off decreases the amount of crashes (but does not necessarily remove them). The developers are "working on a solution".

Edit: shrinking the radar to the tiniest possible size and disabling its animations seems the best workaround until a hotfix is available.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 9, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, just Silverlode is pretty dead and Nazgun isn't far behind. Right now me (Bruman) and Bombhand (various) are the only really active people (for US evening time, at least). Findraen just showed back up too though (not sure of their SA name). i think we might have a person or two who is online during the day.

I think there's also a fair amount of Nazgun folk who keep an eye on the thread and are waiting for server transfers (end of September was their last estimate, I think?) to make their triumphant returns.

I've been online a bit on Ithoran weekday mornings/afternoons and there's generally nobody else online in the Nazgun. I'm actually seeing several other players in Dol Amroth, however that's the only place I encounter any other players in West Gondor right now. The server is super dead, but I'm just playing it like a single player game right now and trying to finish all of the solo content.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ruffz posted:

I've been online a bit on Ithoran weekday mornings/afternoons and there's generally nobody else online in the Nazgun. I'm actually seeing several other players in Dol Amroth, however that's the only place I encounter any other players in West Gondor right now. The server is super dead, but I'm just playing it like a single player game right now and trying to finish all of the solo content.

There's generally 3-4 other players in the lone lands with me the past couple days, so there's at least a few people here and there, but yes, its pretty quiet overall other than the few usual suspects in /world chat

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I check in about once a week to see who is on and what's changed...but mostly I'm waiting for kin server transfers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I play a little in the mornings and a little in the evenings when nothing's going on. Mostly I group with a handful of folks I found off world chat and then with goons if they're around and we both feel like doing the same thing. Server transfers will be nice but I'm worried that the people I group with are going to go to a different server than the kin does and force me to make a rough decision.

• Locked thread