Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Can you not just pony up your 5% to Epic and get a real goddamn engine?

The new Wolfensteins were published by Bethesda and they were on idTech 4 IIRC.
But then again, the new Wolfenteins were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think Beth's hands were tied in regards to using all the BoS/Enclave/super-mutant stuff in F3. They bought that franchise and then had to turn around and make the third game. I'm super glad they didn't remake it, but at the same time you can see just how much they had to cheat to make the new setting appeal to fans of the old setting.

As for the engine, I am forever disappointed the Fox Engine isn't being licensed out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Imp Zone level reaching critical mass, will newcomer AlternateAccount beat Michellaneous in shitposting power?

Who cares where people post from?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
texture packs and dickgirl mods already in the works

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

"bos & enclave is a palette swap" he posted unironically, poo poo his pants, and was gone

:psyduck:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I kept hoping Bethesda would surprise me.

They did not. Ah well. Maybe there will be some good stuff in the gameplay trailers.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

The leaked voice cast documents that also revealed it was in boston/the commonwealth and you would be playing as somebody who was around before the bombs dropped and witnessed them were doing a casting call for a male and female voiced protaganist also, if you want something more concrete.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they try to rip off Bioware's voiced protagonist thing for Fallout.

Also the first mods after the nude and sex ones will be about removing said voices.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

Who cares where people post from?
Because it's a long-standing tradition at Something Awful Forums to run a competition for shitpost forums to troll actual forum threads during high-volume periods of time

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Zzulu posted:

did you guys not see the trailer start with the dog and end with the dog? Dog got way more screentime than Guy. The dog was rummaging for supplies and stuff

The dog is us. We gonna play as a dog

You play as a Pre-War soldier whose brain was accidentally implanted into a dog. With your quick wits and the help of your trusted interpreter from Vault 111, you will have to explore the Wasteland, track down your descendents, and figure out how to shoot a laser cannon with your paws.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
eh Imp Zone ain't so bad

they're like your crazy uncle and sometimes he's cool and sometimes he shits all over your sofa but you can't stay mad at him because he buys your drugs

wait I lost track of that analogy

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

AlternateAccount posted:

Naw. Well, yeah.... but I'll wait 'til it's $5. Then play it for maybe an hour and go UGH, people still can't move their eyes and stare straight ahead with parallel eyeballs like creepy corpses.

This looks like dog poo poo. In a world with no power infrastructure and very little electricity, there are still no DARK areas. Just generically overlit, even-contrast zones.
Every single thing about this makes it look like some Fullsail kid's sophomore year project.

Can you not just pony up your 5% to Epic and get a real goddamn engine?

The Sun.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Serperoth posted:

The new Wolfensteins were published by Bethesda and they were on idTech 4 IIRC.
But then again, the new Wolfenteins were good.

ANYTHING but loving Gamebryo. Is it just sunk costs? Why do they insist on using a totally poo poo engine that wasn't well suited for this sort of thing back in 2008 and is even WORSE suited by comparison now.

UE4, idTech, ANYTHING. Come on.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
For some reason the news anchor in that trailer sounded a lot like Jon Hamm to me...

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

why bother with new engine when people will buy anyway

it makes no business sense

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
Is it trolling to say the graphics looked like they were no less than 5 years behind and that was embarassing and bad? That's my opinion so if it's trolling, then please arrest me forums cop Anime Schoolgirl.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

prometheusbound2 posted:

For some reason the news anchor in that trailer sounded a lot like Jon Hamm to me...

it's Perlman

I'm an expert

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CountingCrows posted:

Is it trolling to say the graphics looked like they were no less than 5 years behind and that was embarassing and bad? That's my opinion so if it's trolling, then please arrest me forums cop Anime Schoolgirl.
*arrests u*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The reaction elsewhere on the internet has been overwhelmingly positive.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CountingCrows posted:

I think they look good, but I care way more about the color palette and composition of the environment than I do aa and texture quality.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Very end of the trailer, guy in vault suit who is almost certainly supposed to be the PC appears to say "Let's go, pal". Unless that's actually the dog talking and we're all falling for a huge fake-out.

You recruit a genetically engineered dog that is hyper intelligent but still does stupid dog poo poo like chase his own tail.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cthulhoo posted:

why bother with new engine when people will buy anyway

it makes no business sense

Because there's no way I am buying this for $50. It's not even expansion pack level good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I said come in! posted:

well yeah no one actually cares about graphics in a fallout game they care whether or not you can crouch around and shoot people in the dick

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I think it's alright looking, I mean not far cry 4 but at least there's colors and stuff. vOv

I said come in! posted:

no poo poo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I said come in! posted:

YCS is already trolling the Souls threads, Imp Zone is desperately trying not to be outclassed

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

hah, plebes

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Because there's no way I am buying this for $50. It's not even expansion pack level good.

someone post mw2 boycott dot jpg

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

AlternateAccount posted:

ANYTHING but loving Gamebryo. Is it just sunk costs? Why do they insist on using a totally poo poo engine that wasn't well suited for this sort of thing back in 2008 and is even WORSE suited by comparison now.

UE4, idTech, ANYTHING. Come on.

It's not Gamebryo, it's Creation. Calling it Gamebryo is like calling GoldSrc the Quake engine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I have to admit the Kotaku headline "the fallout 4 trailer is excellent" made me laugh though. I mean they deliberately avoided showing the face of any character which was troubling as gently caress so I'm cautious

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

If they don't use Fenway as a setpiece for something it will be a huge missed opportunity.

What I assume is Fenway Park

Hmm, Diamond City...

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Yaos posted:

It's not Gamebryo, it's Creation. Calling it Gamebryo is like calling GoldSrc the Quake engine.

maybe they renamed it again we just don't know it yet

behold: new engine!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cthulhoo posted:

someone post mw2 boycott dot jpg

I am not taking a MORAL STANCE at all. This just does not look like it's worth paying for. FO3 and NV were able to compensate for a lot of their massive shortcomings with nostalgia, but they've pretty much mined that out.

Yaos posted:

This turd is brown. But this turd over here is brown. Can't polish either of them.

Can your engine have a character walk up stairs without them just sort of pedaling int he air and sliding up a slope that kinda looks like stairs? No? Then gently caress off with that terrible poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

I have to admit the Kotaku headline "the fallout 4 trailer is excellent" made me laugh though. I mean they deliberately avoided showing the face of any character which was troubling as gently caress so I'm cautious
They hid faces during the early Fallout 3 trailers because they still looked like Oblivion people before they turned them into potato people

I'm guessing they have a case of the same thing with regards to Skyrim and this game

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

AlternateAccount posted:

:respek:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AlternateAccount is going for the "volume" shitposting strategy, can't wait to see how Michellaneous will react to this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not taking a MORAL STANCE at all. This just does not look like it's worth paying for. FO3 and NV were able to compensate for a lot of their massive shortcomings with nostalgia, but they've pretty much mined that out.

lmao New Vegas wasn'tg ood because of nostalgia.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

I'm sorry man it's no far cry 4 obviously but calling it a fo3 expansion or whatever is plain disingenuous.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao New Vegas wasn'tg ood.

ftfy.

It's 2015. Crysis came out in 2007. You're not allowed to make a game that looks worse than Crysis did at launch 8 years later.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yaos posted:

Whatever they want to call it, it'll still have lovely animations and walking around will still feel like you're skating along the ground with no traction at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

SA is not know for having good taste in games.

Evidence: The H1Z1 ad I was thinking about was literally on the page as I went to make this post.