Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

various cheeses posted:

Is there some sort of repository of ullerm fittings?
I've thought about going through his entire post history in the eve threads and copying all the fits ever posted into a new EFT install, and then zipping up the cfg files for people to grab. Alternately he could just upload his own setup cfgs... But unless ullerrm takes after his avatar so much that he's constantly cleaning up his EFT, there's gonna a lot of outdated fits and old-meta junk in there. Or opsec stuff. :ninja: I know my EFT has stuff from three GSF doctrines ago that's still tagged [RE] for reimbursable.

It would be really easy to write a simple script to merge 2 folders of EFT setups, has someone done that already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Klyith posted:

I've thought about going through his entire post history in the eve threads and copying all the fits ever posted into a new EFT install, and then zipping up the cfg files for people to grab. Alternately he could just upload his own setup cfgs... But unless ullerrm takes after his avatar so much that he's constantly cleaning up his EFT, there's gonna a lot of outdated fits and old-meta junk in there. Or opsec stuff. :ninja: I know my EFT has stuff from three GSF doctrines ago that's still tagged [RE] for reimbursable.

Yep -- that's the main reason I don't just upload my EFT setup. It's full of ancient poo poo, plus a bunch of lowsec/solo/AT poo poo that would get you absolutely murdered if you tried to use it in mainfleet or even just null roaming.

(I am, however, :spergin: enough that I use text tags for my fits -- i.e. all doctrine fits start with [CFC], all solo with [solo], all tourney with [AT], etc.)

I keep on contemplating making a central webservice for alliances to upload and manage doctrines -- basically a battleclinic that isn't poo poo and has functionality to be managed by corps/alliances. But :effort:

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
The game changes quite often, so even fittings from 2-3 months ago might not work or be particularly relevant. Nobody is going to complain if you ask in here for some up-to-date fittings for a particular ship or play style, or a critique on a fitting you created.

e: is the Goonfleet wiki completely toast at this point? Is it not maintained because nobody reads it, or because there's nobody to maintain it?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

e: is the Goonfleet wiki completely toast at this point? Is it not maintained because nobody reads it, or because there's nobody to maintain it?

Generally, if it's a ship that's used in a mainfleet doctrine, it stays somewhat up to date. Everything else gets left to rot.

Pretty much everyone that was interested in curating our wiki got burned out during our attempt at Confluence.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ullerrm posted:

Generally, if it's a ship that's used in a mainfleet doctrine, it stays somewhat up to date. Everything else gets left to rot.

Pretty much everyone that was interested in curating our wiki got burned out during our attempt at Confluence.

loving confluence

gently caress you Solo Drakban

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Was this something to do with LODRA?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

ullerrm posted:

Yep -- that's the main reason I don't just upload my EFT setup. It's full of ancient poo poo, plus a bunch of lowsec/solo/AT poo poo that would get you absolutely murdered if you tried to use it in mainfleet or even just null roaming.

(I am, however, :spergin: enough that I use text tags for my fits -- i.e. all doctrine fits start with [CFC], all solo with [solo], all tourney with [AT], etc.)

I keep on contemplating making a central webservice for alliances to upload and manage doctrines -- basically a battleclinic that isn't poo poo and has functionality to be managed by corps/alliances. But :effort:

Isn't that basically what fleet up does?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any way to change in what part of the window the damage notifications pop up? I'd like to move them out of the middle, and off to the side or something.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any way to change in what part of the window the damage notifications pop up? I'd like to move them out of the middle, and off to the side or something.

I think you can when you bring up the settings window to configure what notifications pop up.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

ullerrm posted:

I thought osmium has this functionality? I have started using it as personal stash of fits but im certain it has sharing based on alliance/standing/corp etc

E: https://o.smium.org

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Isn't that basically what fleet up does?

Yes, but fleetup sucks balls. Plus, it overdoes the secrecy by requiring you to log in for anything. I mean, take goons for example -- the reference point for our doctrines is a thread in gf.com that any one-day wonder in Karmafleet can look at; it's not exactly opsec. Better to have something simple that people will actually use, than something complex and powerful that everyone goes :effort: when they see.

I remember when BRAVE experimented with fleetup, and ended up giving up on it.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I thought osmium has this functionality? I have started using it as personal stash of fits but im certain it has sharing based on alliance/standing/corp etc

E: https://o.smium.org

Yeah, osmium's not bad.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CashEnsign posted:

Was this something to do with LODRA?
No, just the usual IT. "It's Enterprisey"

Solo got the hook-up with a free license to some Atlassian products. Confluence has much more robust user access controls than mediawiki, which we hacked some very primitive security into via checking the forums login cookie (aka completely insecure to anyone that knows what they're doing). So the switch would make our wiki use the ESA login system, nice and easy. Confluence also was proclaimed to be much easier to use because it has WYSIWIG editing and better file upload capabilities etc etc.

Of course, none of that poo poo worked. The ESA login was full of problems. It was rejecting people based on groups, by spaces in their name, or some random poo poo that nobody had the time to fully troubleshoot. So some percentage of people could just never get in.

The WYSIWYG editor sucked a massive pile of dicks to use, whether because of the java backend or lovely browser code I don't know. Editing any big long article, which the goonwiki is full of, made me want to blow my brains out. I think at least file upload worked, but can't I remember.

So the old wiki -- which was already out of date after surviving the moribund Delve year and then the chaotic Syndicate months -- was sitting unused because it was gonna get deleted when Confluence took over. But Confluence was aids to work with and the big switch kept getting put off due to the unsolved login problems. Mittani finally declared the whole thing a failure so that people would use the old wiki that actually worked, but by then most of the goons who Cared About Wikis had completely burned out. Thus the wiki's current state which is full of great stuff from 2008 and random FA publords ratting fits.

The moral of the story is that Enterprise Software is poo poo that people will tolerate when being paid to work with it. Otherwise it needs to :fuckoff:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 3, 2015

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

:shepface::shepface::shepface:

ullerrm posted:

Please, loving do this.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ullerrm even if your fits are a couple of months out of date they'd still be a step up from all the fits that predate dominion.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

ullerrm posted:

Yes, but fleetup sucks balls. Plus, it overdoes the secrecy by requiring you to log in for anything. I mean, take goons for example -- the reference point for our doctrines is a thread in gf.com that any one-day wonder in Karmafleet can look at; it's not exactly opsec. Better to have something simple that people will actually use, than something complex and powerful that everyone goes :effort: when they see.
99.9% of fittings can't be opsec anyway; you lose one ship, and everyone can see what your doctrine fit is. The only fittings that ever stay secret are the ones you never lose, and we're talking about goons here.

For non-doctrine stuff, nobody cares enough to steal them anyway. Goonfleet's wiki was the best source of good fittings and fitting philosophy for like 5 years, and despite being riddled with spies, only one little group (the terrible blackops-wannabes that came from the alliance we kicked out of Scalding Pass in 2006) ever copied our stuff-- and even then they only copied it once, and never updated their fits as the metagame completely changed around them.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I was moving EVE from one monitor to the other and I somehow managed to make it so that now EVE doesn't have the correct resolution for my monitor as an option. Any ideas?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Boat posted:

I was moving EVE from one monitor to the other and I somehow managed to make it so that now EVE doesn't have the correct resolution for my monitor as an option. Any ideas?

Windowed mode.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Windowed mode.

So changing monitors breaks fixed window mode forever. That's some seriously lovely programming.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boat posted:

That's some seriously lovely programming.

Are you new to EVE? Most of the game has lovely programming that has somehow not cause the entire game to crash and burn on tons of different occasions.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Boat posted:

So changing monitors breaks fixed window mode forever. That's some seriously lovely programming.

:ccp:

Get used to it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Boat posted:

You could try reinstalling. Or the repair tool, although recently that's taken to deleting your eve install so you have to reinstall. Although realistically none of these will work, you should be playing in windows mode anyway for easier access to better games.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Maneck posted:

You could try reinstalling. Or the repair tool, although recently that's taken to deleting your eve install so you have to reinstall. Although realistically none of these will work, you should be playing in windows mode anyway for easier access to better games.

:woop:

Yeah, not worth worrying about then. I thought the fixed window mode was pretty cool for being full-screen-but-still-a-window, but it's not worth loving with over the title bar up top on the normal window mode.

Speaking of :ccp:, is there an archived thread in the goonfleet forums for the whole delete boot.ini debacle? I'm pretty sure it'd be funny as gently caress.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Boat posted:

Yeah, not worth worrying about then. I thought the fixed window mode was pretty cool for being full-screen-but-still-a-window,

borderless window is a thing in most games, extremely useful because it generally lets you alt tab and poo poo

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Boat posted:

Yeah, not worth worrying about then. I thought the fixed window mode was pretty cool for being full-screen-but-still-a-window, but it's not worth loving with over the title bar up top on the normal window mode.

Speaking of :ccp:, is there an archived thread in the goonfleet forums for the whole delete boot.ini debacle? I'm pretty sure it'd be funny as gently caress.

I had a similar problem and chalked it up to eve "binding" itself to a certain monitor. Yeah retarded, but honestly you probably want to play in Windowed mode given how much this game relies on outside programs, utilities and also how boring it is.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We're all broken people

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boat posted:

I'd suggest:
1. Set eve to windowed mode, put it on the screen you want it to be on
2. Quit, restart.
3. Problem will hopefully be fixed.
4. If not, try changing back and forth with the display adapter dropdown.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

borderless window is a thing in most games, extremely useful because it generally lets you alt tab and poo poo
At some point eve switched from the borderless window being centered on the screen, to pinning itself at the top left. And while you can manually move it, if you so much as open the settings window it gets reset back to top left. This sucks for me because my taskbar is on the left side. I want to make eve occupy screensize - taskbar width, but keeping it that way is a constant pain.

Normally I'm all about borderless but CCP has kinda hosed up eve's implementation.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
GENERALLY

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Klyith posted:

No, just the usual IT. "It's Enterprisey"
[snip]

To emphasize this, the Confluence 'migration' was in progress when I started playing EVE and I was in Capswarm by the time we finally gave up on it and asked people to start editing the wiki again.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ISBoxer is worth it for just being able to manipulate window size with ease.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reverand maynard posted:

This is the majority of what I used it for, but it seems a waste to pay a recurring fee for that functionality. There has to be a better way.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Klyith posted:

I'd suggest:
1. Set eve to windowed mode, put it on the screen you want it to be on
2. Quit, restart.
3. Problem will hopefully be fixed.
4. If not, try changing back and forth with the display adapter dropdown.

At some point eve switched from the borderless window being centered on the screen, to pinning itself at the top left. And while you can manually move it, if you so much as open the settings window it gets reset back to top left. This sucks for me because my taskbar is on the left side. I want to make eve occupy screensize - taskbar width, but keeping it that way is a constant pain.

Normally I'm all about borderless but CCP has kinda hosed up eve's implementation.

I used WindowedBorderless, which is a third party program that hooks into the exe and allows you to manually or automatically specify most games' border less sizes and positions including across monitors. It works even for a bunch of games that don't natively support it which is nice.

http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

ullerrm posted:

People have actually been working on the wiki again over the last couple of months, but there's been so many years of on-off neglect in favour of Confluence that it's definitely an uphill struggle.

Dominionix
Feb 27, 2007

Because you touch yourself at night...
What was the actual reason for us not fully converting to Confluence? Was it technical, or just :effort:, or...? I asked for a sub-site on it and it was never even created.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Part of it might have been related to seemingly half of our allies/alliance not being able to access it most of the time, so most pages had to be maintained on both the wiki and confluence just to make sure everyone who needed to see it could see it. At that point, what's the point in confluence if everyone can already use the wiki?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dominionix posted:

What was the actual reason for us not fully converting to Confluence? Was it technical, or just :effort:, or...? I asked for a sub-site on it and it was never even created.

We were essentially beta testing it and got it for free

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Stevefin posted:

Our Government has shown that they barely know how the internet works on so many occasions by acting as if over half of them have ever been on the internet before

The internet is a series of tubes, you see. And you can clog those tube...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

The internet is a series of tubes, you see. And you can clog those tube...

:vomarine::tubular: :nallears:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:horse::horse::horse:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

ullerrm posted:

This month's installment of "I made a thing" is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QrjPQ_ysk

Goddamn that's good. Do you have any tips on how to manually pilot so effectively in those type of solo situations? I can't see exactly what you're doing in the close up shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Reverand maynard posted:

I use it only because of the removed window borders. It's awesome.

• Locked thread