Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Are the Hot/Cold ratings in OOTP descriptive or predictive? Does having a player with the hot designation actually improve their performance, or is it just telling you they've been hitting well lately and has no effect going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hot/cold are absurdly overpowered. Their performance is definitely affected, but it won't show up anywhere but the stat sheet. Their ratings appear the same, they just massively over/underperform until the streak snaps...somehow. It's not entirely clear what criteria are involved for creating or breaking a streak.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

Are the Hot/Cold ratings in OOTP descriptive or predictive? Does having a player with the hot designation actually improve their performance, or is it just telling you they've been hitting well lately and has no effect going forward?

oldskool posted:

Hot/cold are absurdly overpowered. Their performance is definitely affected, but it won't show up anywhere but the stat sheet. Their ratings appear the same, they just massively over/underperform until the streak snaps...somehow. It's not entirely clear what criteria are involved for creating or breaking a streak.

Hot is definitely a real thing, and it is both descriptive and predictive. The way it works is that if a player does particularly well by random chance, there's a chance he goes into a "hot" streak, with higher odds of that happening if he has certain personality traits (I want to say work ethic? Could also be the new ones about handling success, not sure.) Once in hot mode they overperform, with their odds of doing good things boosted, until by random chance they do poorly enough to break the streak (also altered by personality). It works the same way with cold streaks, just in reverse.

So yes, hot streaks are real when shown with the little flame in the game. It doesn't guarantee success, but it's like they've got a +1 modifier or something, so it is a thing.

Jesterea
Jan 2, 2013
Prince Kelly needs to pitch. I'm ready to see it. Out the bullpen though. I want to see some managerial madness happen.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Game 7 of the Caliphate Series. It's been a knock-down, drag-out fight between Istanbul's Constantinoples and the Damascus Steelers. Istanbul is up 12 - 11 in the bottom of the 19th inning thanks to a Cam Stevenson RBI triple. Two outs. Every pitcher has been trotted out and worn to shreds. Except for one...

(fade to black)

The umpire is heard, "STRIKE THREE!" Reveal Kelly on the mound, the team lifting him on their shoulders. Pete Rose rewards him a permanent contract. Prince Kelly is the first inductee to the MaILB Hall of Fame, inducted on the very same day.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soviets posted:

Game 7 of the Caliphate Series. It's been a knock-down, drag-out fight between Istanbul's Constantinoples and the Damascus Steelers. Istanbul is up 12 - 11 in the bottom of the 19th inning thanks to a Cam Stevenson RBI triple. Two outs. Every pitcher has been trotted out and worn to shreds. Except for one...

(fade to black)

The umpire is heard, "STRIKE THREE!" Reveal Kelly on the mound, the team lifting him on their shoulders. Pete Rose rewards him a permanent contract. Prince Kelly is the first inductee to the MaILB Hall of Fame, inducted on the very same day.

Come on Soviets, spoiler tag that poo poo! Now I have to write a new ending!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
You're up in the Super Draft, Emperor Norton Charlie Hustle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If they get too hot for too long the game injures them afaik to snap them out of it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

: Here we are. The Caliphate Championship Series. This is the first time the CCS has come to Istanbul, and our first try at winning it all. It's a shame we couldn't do it for Turkey last year, but this year we will avenge last year's defeat - and perhaps find a new territory to claim for the motherland.

Our opponent is arguably the most successful team in all of the MaILB - the wealthy, power hitting Damascus Steelers. Like us, Damascus has won their division four times straight - unlike us, this is their third time at the CCS. That's right - they've won the Ali Talib Series three out of four times, and have a Championship under their belt. They've come back from deficits to sweep, and be swept in kind, so they're a resilient team that has seen more playoff experience than any other. They are not to be underestimated.

: For once, we face a lineup as formidable as our own. While we have our own little 80(ish) streak at the top of our lineup, Damascus' 3-6 hitters are elite quality on their own. Cetin Sunay is underrated here, and quite frankly, they have no real flaws in their hitting. They're suffering slightly from the lack of DH in the Sunni League rules - their LF is an aging veteran with poor fielding who normally plays at DH, and their regular LF won't be playing despite being quite good. Let's hope this limits their offense a bit, or at least hurts them defensively.

As you can see, we don't get to see too many regular season matchups, because we did not play Damascus in this years' interleague games. Some guys do show up due to trades or other roster changes across the season. Oh well, just assume Ivan Drago's stats would be through the roof, as that bastard is coming off an easy Triple Crown season. Seriously, look at his stats:

: Absolutely unreal. Drago is the best player in the game right now, and we must pitch to him very, very carefully. I will rarely do anything other than order to pitch around him.

: It's starting to get colder in Istanbul, but nothing too chilly yet. Fortunately for us, the wind is blowing in from left - given how dinger-prone Damascus is, this is probably a net gain for us. It should keep Ivan Drago, the righty, from hitting quite as many dingers as he might otherwise hit.

: Many familiar faces, and our typical (and league leading) defensive set up. We are ready. Up first, facing Jack Price, is their first baseman Alim.

Play Ball!

: One pitch, one out. A good start, and we record our first CCS out. Let us hope there are many to come!

: Oh dear.

: Ugh. And with Qusay Hussein behind him, we can't really afford to pitch around him. Here we go :pray:

: Triple Crown winner, GIDP :smug:

: Now we see some new faces, and one old one. The first thing you'll notice is that there's only one golden glove here - their catcher, Thabit, is one of the best in the league, even if his offense isn't quite at Nif Bot's level. Otherwise Damascus' defense is pretty middling - they've got pretty good defense from second to third, but their outfield is pretty poor. Left field is especially bad - Muhammad is their regular DH, so he really has no business being out there. We should hit as many balls to left as we can, because between his broken legs and noodle arm, they won't be leaving very often.

Up first is Cam, who has been pretty bad all playoffs so far.

: Bah. Now Reese is up, who has just one hit so far.

: :wow: Reese takes a pitch just outside and jams it into the corner for a triple. A good fielder might have held him at two, but instead, he almost makes it all the way around. This is what poor fielding does Damascus, ignore it at your own peril!

Now Nif just needs a fly ball to score Reese. Hit one to left, Nif, and I guarantee you Reese could probably walk to home plate.

: Oh come on.

Whatever. Kelly, you're "hot" right now, single home Reese!

: Bah! Their pitcher barely threw any strikes this inning, but our boys, excited by the championship, are swinging at everything. I'll have to calm them down and have them take a few pitches.

: Why hello there Jack. A 1-2-3 inning keeps Damascus' scary lineup from doing much of anything. Not used to facing good pitching, eh? :smug:

: Leading off for us in the second is Cash Money, followed by Clink and Khoury.

: At least they were in the zone, but a shame he couldn't make contact.

Clink and Khoury also fly out and ground out harmlessly. Looks like a pitcher's duel is a brewin'! I'm fine with that, if only because I know that Damascus only has one really good pitcher, and if we can get him to pitch deep, it will only hurt them in the long run.

: Leading off the third is our old friend Reeve Tresher, now their regular second baseman. Being one of the less effective hitters on the dominant Damascus lineup is no shame, but we may have cut Reeve off at just the right time, as his numbers fell a bit this year to an OPS+ of 99. This controls for the superior hitting of the SUL, but his home run number was identical to last year, so I think the decline is real.

: Either way, he can't do anything this round.

: A one out single! Damascus' offense picks up, but with the pitcher up, I expect a bunt.

: Hah! He can't even get his bat on it. :rip:

: We get Queen to lead us off in the third, and no one has been as hot as him this postseason. He was the Abu Bakr MVP, and he'd love to receive the Muhammad (pbuh) Trophy for CCS MVP.

...but he grounds out, so he'll have to wait a bit to build that case. Price strikes out, and Cam flies out (shockingly). Onto the fourth!

: A fly ball to Ra'id brings up Ivan Drago with one out. Gulp.

: Thank God (Allah?) that Price has Drago under control. Now Hussein.

: Nice! Both pitchers have now only given up one hit, with a walk by Price, through three and a half.

: But as I spoiled above (forgot to screen it in time), we get another single from Nif Bot! One out, and now Prince Kelly has a chance to get some offense started.

: :(. One more shot - I choose you, Cash Money!

: *Grumble*

: Price is still out there, and with only 46 pitches thrown, should have plenty of gas in him. I feel bad for our relievers - they've had so few chances to shine!

: Price views it as a service to keep them well rested. They're still getting paid, right?

: Clink with a leadoff single! A weak bloop, between their bad outfielders. Given the slow pace of this game, I'm excited. Khoury's up next, but I'm most excited by the prospect of Queen Khalifa coming up after.

Khoury flies out, as I anticipated. Let's go Queen!

: :cry:. It's okay Queen, Sofian has a deceptive slider. Good try, and at least you got the pitch count up. It's just a shame that Price is next.

And Price, unsurprisingly, grounds out. He's no Sai Tor.

: 5 pitches, 3 outs :stare:. Price is on fire.

: It's the sixth inning, and we've only had 3 base runners. The Steelers have only had two. Who will give out first?

Well, according to Cam, Reese, and Nif, we aren't ready for offense yet. They all ground out or fly out. :negative:

: Six innings by both sides, and no runs scored. Barely any hits, either! We may be in for a long night.

Ra'id flies out, and up comes Drago...

: :wow:. Price doesn't care if you won the triple crown, you will not last long against him right now.

Qusay Hussein fares no better.

: We have a nice stretch, and now the "hot" Prince Kelly, Cash Money, and Eric Clink will try and get something started to break this tie and end the pitcher's duel in Price's favor. Sofian is at 81 pitches, so he's got plenty of gas himself, but a long inning would probably drive him out.

: Finally! Prince Kelly finally makes contact on a Sofian forkball, and gets a leadoff single. This could be our big inning.

: Cash Money, you're killing me. A fielder's choice sees Cash swap places with Kelly, one out.

: There we go! We get a guy to second finally (Reese's triple notwithstanding), with one out. Cash is quick, so even a weak bloop has a good chance of scoring him if he gets a good jump. Go go Khoury!

: Oh come on, don't swing at pitches in the dirt! Now we must rely on Queen, who is hitting .500 this postseason, tied only with Kelly.

: :negative: :negative:

: Seventeen consecutive outs for Price. His last baserunner was in the third, and it's now the eighth. Do not ruin this opportunity, offense.

: Price ain't goin nowhere, so he flies out to start the eighth, but now we have the ice cold Cam and Reese.

: Woo! Cam can't do anything, but Reese sure can! A two out double is nice, and it raises Sofian's pitch count to 112. Nif will face him now, and I can't imagine he's throwing his best stuff anymore. Too bad there's two outs, but I trust Nif.

: Nif... I trusted you...

: Ninth inning, and Price is still out there. If he blows it at this point, he really can't be blamed. I'll probably pull him if he starts letting guys on base.

: First batter is uneventful, but FINALLY Price allows a hit to the pinch-hitter. I also want to point out his pitch speeds - his changeup goes 66 mph, while his cutter is almost 20 mph more at 84, with a slider square in the middle. Hitters have absolutely no idea what to expect when they face him, and it shows.

I'll give him one more chance, but Friar John is on standby.

: :sigh: You did well, Price, and deserve a shutout, but we gotta bring John in. Actually, since they've got a left up, we'll bring in Xerxes Ironfist, who has completely dominated lefties over his career.

: Good work Xerx. Let's see if Friar John can avoid giving up another dinger, this time to Drago. Two men on, two outs, top of the ninth. Friar John, I believe in you! :pray:

: :angel: :angel: We escape unscathed! We now go into the bottom of the ninth - if we score a run to break the tie at any point from here on out, we walk off for a victory. Home field advantage!

: We face Akil Fida, Damascus' closer, who is one of the better in the league. His skill induces a ground ball, only to have it ruined by poor defense. It's actually extra bizarre, because it's to their second baseman - NOT Reeve Tresher, who has been moved to shortstop. They pinch-hit for their CF when I brought in Xerxes (to avoid a poor matchup of lefty versus lefty), but now leave a lovely infield. They've paid the price already.

: Cash Money manages to move Prince to second with one out, giving Clink or Khoury a chance to get some work done. It'd be really, really nice to walk off here and not blow this game in the extras.

: Fearing clink, they walk him, facing Khoury followed by Khalifa. Men on first and second, one out.

: :negative: Oh well, bonus baseball time!

: Friar John is still out, so we'll give him the chance to pitch the tenth.

: :angel:

: Khalifa's cooled down today, but I really want to see him get a rally started here.

: But it's not meant to be. In pinch hitting is Kane, who is "hot", but hasn't seen much playing time. Unfortunately he flies out, bringing in Cam...

: :smug:, despite being right at him, Muhammad can barely saunter over to the ball. It goes past him for an easy double, good work Cam! Now if only we could actually get you home... Give it a go, Reese.

: :vince::vince: Prevailing winds be damned, Reese belts it for a two run home run to end the game! Our first championship game ever, and we finally break a scoreless tie in the tenth for a win!

: What a game! Price may not have quite made it nine innings, but it was an impressive effort nonetheless. He didn't even really exhaust himself either - he only threw 95 pitches, so he should be alright to pitch game four, or game five if we're really concerned about resting him.

It was also nice seeing our usual suspects produce some offense, and it should be noted that with his walk off, Reese had a triple and a home run, the two hardest parts of the cycle! We also scattered eight hits total, across our lineup, so I'm happy. It's a bit frustrating to not give Price the win after such a masterful performance, but whatever.

I should also note that our fielding has been superb, as I don't remember the last time we committed an error. We just need our offense to pick up a bit as we face Damascus' less effective pitchers, and we should have this.

Coming soon, Game 2, Tor versus Robienayai in Istanbul! As always, feel free to make lineup suggestions, but we get one more game without the DH.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

WORTH EVERY TERRY VAN ENK!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Since we're in the championships, I'm making a championship trophy right now in Blender. In real world measurements, it would stand about 4'4" tall and be about 2' wide.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here's the trophy:

And as to the measurements I stated in the last post, it's actually about half that size now. (that means of course, the silver baseball with the gold stitching on top of the lid is not official size, needless to say.)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

Here's the trophy:

And as to the measurements I stated in the last post, it's actually about half that size now. (that means of course, the silver baseball with the gold stitching on top of the lid is not official size, needless to say.)

That's a sexy trophy, and let's hope it goes to us this year. Plenty of time to blow it, though!

Also, I screwed up and left the save game file on my PC when I went to visit my family for the summer, but fortunately I have someone going to my apartment next week, who can transfer the file to me. Just gotta take a bit of a break and hold tight until Wednesday, sorry for the delay!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

JosefStalinator posted:

That's a sexy trophy, and let's hope it goes to us this year. Plenty of time to blow it, though!

Also, I screwed up and left the save game file on my PC when I went to visit my family for the summer, but fortunately I have someone going to my apartment next week, who can transfer the file to me. Just gotta take a bit of a break and hold tight until Wednesday, sorry for the delay!

Hey is this where I ask you if you wanna trade your Super Draft XVI picks?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
An update! I finally have my hands on the save file once again, so we can continue the series shortly! I have a few things to do today, but tomorrow I should be able to do an update, and this weekend I can mostly catch us up.

I've got a series to throw :getin:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

No worries! The lack of updates has given me a chance to catch up on the Great War LP, and knowledge of your managerial mishaps has given me a great deal of insight into the struggles of the German army. :allears:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

No worries! The lack of updates has given me a chance to catch up on the Great War LP, and knowledge of your managerial mishaps has given me a great deal of insight into the struggles of the German army. :allears:

Between you guys and my commanders... :negative:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

: We're baaaack! After a long and unintended hiatus, we are back on track to continue our playoff run. Last we left off, we had just won game one of the Islamic Caliphate Series, taking an early lead to hopefully winning our first Caliphate Championship, or Muhammad, Trophy:

(Can you edit a giant face of Muhammad onto it? Cause that would be fun, if you aren't afraid for your life)

: Today's matchup is the underrated Sai Tor against the overrated Robienayai. Robienayai hails from the country of Sudan, and had a dominant season with a 2.85 ERA. Last year. This year, his rating remained good, but his ERA bloated up to 4.24. Now, part of that is playing in the offensively weighted Shiite League, but that excuse alone won't cut it.

Tor, by contrast, had a great year, with a 2.78 ERA. His only start so far this postseason was a complete game win, with one run surrendered. Robienayai's playoff game was less impressive, as he surrendered four runs over eight innings, but he picked up the win as Damascus' offense hammered Beirut for eight runs.

So far we've shut Damascus out, but I wouldn't count on that lasting. We may have gotten lucky last game, but if we are going to rely on elite pitching and only score 2 runs in extra innings, we will not have a consistent enough offense to win the series. Story of our team though, right?

: Another cold day at Old New York's Amsterdam Stadium, with a strong wind blowing 10 miles per hour out to right. Last game, we benefited from a wind blowing in - and it showed, at least until the 10th inning, as the game remained tied through nine. Of course, the 10th inning walk off blast was to right field, so maybe it'll help our hitters a bit. Let's just hope Damascus doesn't start teeing off on us, because they are prone to doing just that.

Our defense remains the usual set of elite gold glovers and solid defensive players, with Khalifa seriously underrated with his 60 defensive rating and elite defensive statistics.

Since we're still at home, we'll get to see Tor take on the top of Damascus' order. So without further ado, play ball!

: Well, a less than ideal start. Get it together Tor!

: Much better! First a nice pop up, then a caught stealing, negating the runner on base. And it was on a strike, too. Perfect all around, especially Nif's inhumanely powerful and accurate arm :smug:

: Ivan Drago comes up and nearly gives us a heart attack. But even with the wind helping, it stays in the park, and Prince Kelly tracks it down. You can see how a lucky gust can really hurt us with Drago hitting.

: The top of our lineup is ready to go, but as you can see, they've struggled a bit in the post season. Still, after last game, Reese has redeemed himself, and it's really up to Cam to prove his utility.

: :stare: That's one way to do it! A leadoff double, just what we needed :getin:

: Reese :-/

: And Nif Bot, also fails, but at least Cam moves to third. All up to the Prince to keep the inning alive, and get Cam home.

: Bah. No luck this time. Onto the second!

: We're past Drago, but we must now face Qusay Hussein, Gamal Muhammad, and Khaldoon Thabit, all serious threats. Good luck, Tor.

: Another leadoff single!? Bah!

: Okay, we get the lead runner out on a ground ball, but Cam can't quite get the runner out at first. No dig against him, the ball was just dribbled too slowly.

: Thabit looks the fool with a swinging strike three, and we have two down. Up now is Reeve Tresher. Behind home plate, a fan is holding up a sign with "REEVE TRADER" written on it.

: Trader! At least they're down to their weaker hitters, 8th and pitcher spot.

: Ugh. Now the bases are loaded, after an awful pitch sequence by Tor. Their pitcher comes up now, bases loaded. He's from a DH league, so let's hope he can't hit for poo poo.

: Yeah, those are some piss poor ratings, and it shows. Crisis averted, as we leave the bases loaded to move to the bottom of the second.

: Five pitches, three outs :-/. So much for it being the stronger part of our lineup. Two of them were out on the first pitch!

: Damascus starts at the top of their lineup, and they draw a leadoff walk to start the third. It's the speedy Alim, but he got caught stealing last time, so we'll see if he has the gall to try again.

: Triple crown be damned! After a fielder's choice, we eliminate the runner with a double play, hit by none other than Shiite MVP Ivan Drago. He's really been shut down this series, which is bizarre, but welcome.

: Khalifa grounds out harmlessly, then Tor hits a towering popup to Drago. With two outs, up comes Cam...

: Baddefense.png. Cam hits a ball to center field, but Rai'd gets a bad... Rai'd on it, and lets it go past him. The mistake makes a single into a triple, as Cam is easily able to zoom around second before the ball makes it back to the infield.

This is cam's second stint at third with two outs. Reese, do your thing!

: Your thing is not to swing at pitches down the middle and miss. You're killing me here Reese!

: Oh look, a leadoff single. Sound familiar?

: Also familiar is the double play! That's our third so far this game. Clink and Cam have Tor's back, even if they can't score.

: Good thing too - Thabit hit a double, and surely would have scored either of the runners if they'd been left on at first.

: Reeve Tresher!!! :argh: That traitorous bastard gives Damascus its first run and first lead of the series, batting in Thabit with an RBI double down the right field line. At least Prince was there to keep it from being a triple. Bah!

: Not that it matters, as the next pitch goes past the catcher, and Reeve moves to third any way.

: Well then :catstare:. Tor hit Sunay, looks like in the leg, to let him go to first. He'll face the pitcher instead, and hopefully can demonstrate better control.

: That's what I'm talking about. Tor gets back on track with a great sequence to strike out their pitcher. We go to the bottom of the fourth, now down 1-0.

: Nif Bot strikes out, and the Prince fouls out, but Cash Money has an interesting at bat...

: Dat sequence! And it ended in a single, too! Cash Money was down 1-2 after three pitches, but managed to take four fouls and 2 more balls before choosing just the right pitch to swing at. Good show, Cash!

...but Clink grounds out uselessly. Another wasted baserunner!

: Fifth inning, and for all his struggles, Tor still only has thrown 60 pitches. I won't hesitate to remove him if he really fucks up, but he's probably good for another inning or two, at least.

: Two outs, then two walks. Grr. Friar John and Idris Jafar are ready to come in, but Tor gets one more shot...

: Phew. A weak grounder up the middle is fielded perfectly by Khalifa, who nabs our third out. The relievers will stay cold for now, but they'll be ready in the future.

: I forgot to screenshot it after the bottom of the fifth, not that there was much to see. We go down in order, including Tor, who I leave in for now. Will I pull a Mike Scoscia and immediately replace him at pitcher after batting him?

: Two outs later, Tor is still in, but this happens:

: Again! That's the second time Sunay's been hit this game! Tensions might flare soon, as some of Damascus' dugout takes umbrage at the second hit. Some of their players clearly thing this is intentional, as it's a bit rare for Tor to hit anyone, let alone the same player twice. Sunay takes his base without incident though, and the pitcher spot comes up.

: Ughhhh. A hit to their 4 contact rated pitcher? The bullpen is ready to come in, with one more shot for Tor.

: drat! They score another on an Alim single, moving the pitcher to third. He just managed to bloop one right over Cam's head, and Reese had no chance of getting it home in time.

Tor's day is done, so in comes Idris Jafar to hopefully contain this.

: That's... not what I meant. Now, the bases are loaded, and guess who is up!

: You're listed as hot, Jafar. gently caress this up, and your hot rating WILL go away.

: Aww yeah. The triple crown, more like triple ground :smug:. Drago wastes their bases loaded opportunity by grounding weakly to Clink, who easily makes the play to first. Crisis again averted, though one run did score in the inning.

: Another double! Cam seems to have remembered that he's really, really good. He's now 3 for 3 today, with two doubles and a triple. We gotta make something happen here, boys.

: Hah! This is why you don't put a 24 rated left fielder out to play. The no-DH rule really came back to bite them here - the ball was entirely catchable, but Muhammad simply dropped it, and Cam scores while Reese moves to second. A costly error, as we now are only down by one, with a runner on second with no outs.

The next pitch sees Muhammad successfully catch a Nif Bot fly ball, and Kelly grounds out, moving Reese to third. Are we really only going to score on errors?

: Apparently so. Oh well, a one run defecit is hardly insurmountable, and better than two. We just gotta hope for a late game rally.

: Jafar gets two strikeouts, but Muhammad avenges his error with a double. Up is Reeve Tresher, hoping to crush our hopes and dreams despite having been moulded and fostered by our team for so many years.

: :). Sit down, Tresher! But his RBI single is still the difference in us losing this game :negative:

: Clink leads off the bottom of the seventh with a gentle bloop to right. Rally time!

: Khoury strikes out, and Khalifa nearly gets a ball down, but a brilliant catch by Qusay Hussein prevents it from being a hit.

Two out, and Clink on first. Pinch hitting for Jafar is Kane, who really should be playing more regularly. Prove me right!

: Our swing at the first pitch and ground out, :(

: Xerxes Ironfist takes the mount for the eighth, facing left handed batter Sunay. Xerxes has been dominant all season, so I expect him to keep the game 2 - 1.

: Way to make me look bad with a leadoff walk!

: But Xerxes recovers, with a fly ball and a double play, our fourth on the day. For all our gripes, Damascus must be furious - they've had 13 base runners, and only scored two of them, ruining four of them with double plays (and one from a caught stealing).

: The eighth will see us start from the top of the lineup, which is good, as it means the meat of our order will bat through the ninth inning. We need that to help rally, or at least tie the game.

Cam FINALLY can't get on base, but Reese has his back with a single to left. While Reese is speedy, Thabit's actually a good catcher, and I have no intention of risking him in a one run game. Nif and the Prince himself will now seek to get Reese home and tie this game.

: :wow: :woop: :woop: Nif Bot with the RBI triple! The icing on the cake is that he's now at third with one out, so a fly ball gives us a lead!

: Kelly :negative: Cash Money hits afterward, and smacks it a good 400 feet to center left, but just can't get it out of the park. Hussein makes the catch, and we go to the ninth, now tied!

: Xerxes remains in, at least until he causes trouble. They pinch hit for their left hander Rai'd, but Atu grounds out.

Drago comes up and singles, then advances on a wild pitch. Ugh. Man on second, one out.

: Qusay fouls out, and now we just need one more out. I'll give Xerxes a shot, since this might go into extras.

And he manages a strikeout! That ends Xerxes night on a good note, and down we go to the bottom of the ninth. We are now in walk off territory - any runs scored (without Damascus also scoring before us) will win the game.

: That's not how you walk off :( Into the tenth! Bonus baseball!

: In comes Rob MacGregor - there's no saves to be made any more, so he'll keep us alive this inning at least.

He, of course, makes short work of them.

: Out goes MacGregor, in comes Mo Jihad to pinch hit!

: Error number two and a leadoff runner!

...and then OOTP crashed. gently caress. I really, really don't want to redo this again. My solution was to re-sim the game to the 9th inning, and by sheer coincidence, it simmed it to be 2-2 :stare:. You may notice some inconsistencies - in this world, we scored off a two-run homer by Nif, while Tor surrendered two over eight innings. Sorry guys, but I don't wanna spend another hour simming it and writing! So...

TIME BREAK

It's now the ninth inning, still tied 2-2! Since I used MacGregor and Friar John in the previous one, I'll only use guys I didn't use yet. In comes Franq-in-Friq to pitch.

: And he kills it! We're now in the bottom of the ninth - in pretty much the same situation as last time. Any score ends in a walkoff, unless Damascus scores in the top of the inning.

And even better, Khoury leads us off with a base hit! We're now in exactly the same situation as pre-crash, just in the ninth instead of the tenth.

: It's Khalifa, not Cam, but I don't know if that's a bad thing.

: Naw, I can live with Khalifa :smug:

Batting now is fan favorite Hoshi Uemura. All he needs is a single, and he can send us home a hero. Fitting, given he was supplanted by Nif Bot for the starting position.

: Great shame, Uemura-san.

Cam's up!

: Oh God, he hits a single, but it's shallow. Khalifa is fast. Qusay is a decent fielder. WHAT DO I DO?

gently caress it, do it live!

: Safe at home! We win! Up in the series 2 - 0! :woop: :woop:

: Well... this is a bit... awkward. None of these stats make sense, as we won through an error and a single (with the walkoff), not a 2-run homerun by Nif Bot. But so the stats will always reflect, as with Tor's dominant outing that really didn't need MacGregor, Xerxes, or anyone's help but one inning from Franq-in-Friq.

At least I was able to pretty faithfully recreate the situation, on the first simulation, actually. This series may be closer than it appears - we are up 2-0, but won one in the 10th inning and only just broke the tie in the bottom of the ninth in the other, only scoring 2 and 3 runs respectively. Damascus' skill is translating over to some degree, but their offense seems to be pretty impotent against our pitching.

Our next game is in Damascus, so we'll need to figure out our DH lineup. I'm a bit annoyed at the game right now, but I'll get posting our options sometime tomorrow. One suggestion was Kane in right and Prince Kelly at DH (or vice versa), but Mo Jihad and Uemura can also work too (Uemura would take C while Nif DH's).

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Wow, I can't believe JosefStalinator would cheat to win like that #wow

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ice To Meet You posted:

I knew i shoulda screenshotted the error, not the series is tainted :negative:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ice To Meet You posted:

Such a lack of professionalism in my Let's Play cheating and finagling. I am offended. The New Dehli Slice Meats would have denied all knowledge of the original game.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
These are very serious allegations, and I assure you the matter will be treated with the weight it deserves.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Last we left off, we had just won game one of the Islamic Caliphate Series, taking an early lead to hopefully winning our first Caliphate Championship, or Muhammad, Trophy:

(Can you edit a giant face of Muhammad onto it? Cause that would be fun, if you aren't afraid for your life)

The Muhammad Ali Caliphate Championship trophy, presented by George Bush Jr., is brought to you by Pan-Am and Texaco.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it

Shazback posted:

The Muhammad Ali "Float like Floating Fly, Sting like a Scraped Knee" Caliphate Championship trophy, presented by George Bush Jr., is brought to you by Pan-Am and Texaco.

Hehe, Dubya knows other sports.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

: We're baaaack! After a long and unintended hiatus, we are back on track to continue our playoff run. Last we left off, we had just won game one of the Islamic Caliphate Series, taking an early lead to hopefully winning our first Caliphate Championship, or Muhammad, Trophy:

I tried getting a hold of him, but his receptionist won't return my calls.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

I tried getting a hold of him, but his receptionist won't return my calls.

Coward! Could you just put a dude in a Sikh turban on it? This is dubya we're talking about, after all.

Alright I'll be updating a bit later, hopefully in a stable fashion. I'll try saving at intervals as I'm worried that this PC (not my regular one) is a bit unstable, and that way I'll only have to replay parts. If it has crashed before the 10th goddamn inning, I wouldn't mind redoing it... This also won't be a problem outside of managed games, as it autosaves weekly and I don't really have to do much during the sim (I usually just sim it a month and work along the news or injuries/roster needs).

Right now though, we need to figure out our lineup. Here's one I came up with real fast, as we're playing a lefty for game 3:

This may seem bizarre, but hear me out. We're playing a lefty, and Prince Kelly cannot hit lefties. I don't know why, but his splits are generally awful:

It wasn't so bad last year, but he fell off this year and we simply removed him from playing lefties, and he thrived. So I moved Clink to RF and put Khalifa at 3rd, with Jeffers rounding out SS. Kane is playing DH because he's inexperienced at RF, and Clink would do a better job. This is thus a defensively on par with our usual one - Clink plays a solid RF, but SS/3B should be better with Khalifa and Jeffers. I don't know why Khalifa is so poorly rated, because he's done well at SS with poor ratings.

I know DH is wasted a bit with Kane (who is a good but not THAT great hitter), but we are a Sunni League team so we don't have any obvious DH candidates. Fink or Black would have fit the role, but they're long, long gone.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Should we just leave Prince in? Put Nif at DH and Uemura at C? It's your call!

Here's their position ratings, for reference:

EDIT: I just realized that Kane and Khoury should probably be switched, as Khoury's batting way too high up on that list.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 8, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I would experiment with Prince against lefties (that's still a pretty small sample size, all things considered), but the playoffs aren't the time to be doing that, I guess. Putting Bot at DH is probably pointless - the minor defensive uptick probably isn't worth it, especially given that Kane is a better batter all-around (mostly thanks to not being a loving snail on the basepaths). Putting Mo Jihad at DH instead miiiiight be worth a shot, but again, that's awfully experimenty.

I'd say just stick with what you've got (with Kane and Khoury switched).

Also, you've still got two picks in the Super-League Super-Draft, and I want to trade for one of them.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Okay, we sent the trophy back to Tiffany's and got it re-engraved:

Also, the handles are less pointy now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

Okay, we sent the trophy back to Tiffany's and got it re-engraved:

Also, the handles are less pointy now.

:swoon: I can't tell if you went with Muhammad, or went with a Sikh dude, but I'm going to leave it ambiguous partly so you don't die to ISIS, and partly because George W. Bush.

: The longest postseason ever continues apace, as we fly to Damascus for our first ever game in a Shiite League park, and our first ever game with DH rules! At least I think so. I thought I enabled interleague play, but sometimes the OOTP schedule maker just says gently caress you and decides not to do it. Whatever.

Also, because of what happened last time, I'll try saving periodically. I won't have any more damned time warps!

: A designated hitter? We are playing in Damascus so we play by Damascus rules, which means one of our batters doesn't have to field, and our pitcher doesn't have to bat. Curse upon this impure baseball.

We are sending Flex Townshend out, who has been red hot this postseason, and last time against Qatar he went 8 innings with 7 hits, 1 walk and no runs. Also no strikeouts, which is kinda weird actually, but it's not really Townshend's style. He relies on an extremely effective changeup to baffle batters and get them to miss their timing and induce ground balls. It's not flashy, and if Townshend were on another team with worse infield defense, he might fail. But we are just the team for him, and he has been very, very good to us.

I totally missed this, but facing us this game is Husam Al Din Mujahid. What's unusual about him? He actually only threw six innings, one game, in the majors this year. He managed to injure himself in Spring Training and did not recover until late September, where Damascus opted to take it slow and ease him back into his role, especially with the division easily in hand. While only 6 of those innings were in the regular season, he's made three post-season starts:

: Two of them were great, one was a bit shaky, but he's a legit pitcher who will probably give us some trouble. I though Damascus was going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel that is their lovely pitching depth, but this guy really gives them a good shot of winning, and can easily out-duel Flex. Hopefully today is not his day.

: Damascus' stadium is open today, and the pleasant weather is made slightly unpleasant by the wind. It's blowing today, and blowing hard - straight out to center at 18 miles per hour. This is good for hitting dingers, and Damascus is a hitter's park, so we will probably see some offense that we're not quite used to.

We bat first, and Cam is ready to get us started. So, PLAY BALL!

: Cam is fooled by the first pitch, and grounds out. Mujahid's strength is his movement - his sinker is especially deceptive, seeming to completely fall in the last bits of its journey to the plate. This state also limits the amount of dingers he's likely to give up, which will help his team in this match up.

Nif Bot and Kyle Reese also can't get anything done, so Flex comes out to prepare to face Damascus for the first time on their home turf.

: Flex gets the first guy out, and breaks his streak without getting a batter out on strikes! The guy he strikes out is their leadoff hitter, who normally plays in left field when Muhammad is at DH. And he makes a big difference - his rating in LF is 96, compared to the bumbling Muhammad. As we saw in game 2, having a good left fielder can make a world of difference.

: And Ivan Drago makes us appreciate that Clink is a good RF, as that would be a double or triple if we had Fink or Black out there trying to catch it. Good work Clink, as you're playing outside your usual position at third.

: We finally see the first baserunner of the game, as our breakout rookie, Abu Bakr MVP, and probably Rookie of the Year Khalifa trots to first. Time to make things happen!

: Or not.

: drat, a leadoff walk to Hussein. You can also see our different defense - Jeffers is finally getting some playing time, and a well deserved championship series start, while Clink moves to RF and Khalifa to 3B. Prince is absent, but he will come in if and when they take our their lefties, as he's generally done poorly against them.

: A double play! Thabit would later hit a single too, so getting the lead runner out was key. We'd then get another out and go onto the third.

: Our guys fall in order. I would feel worse about Cash Money hitting so late in the lineup if he weren't so drat cold right now. Jeffers I also don't expect much from offensively, as he's here for his defense, not his bat.

: Khalifa noooo! Khalifa makes a rare error, mishandling a ground ball right to him. It would have been the third out, but now they have a man on first with two outs. I don't know if this is because he is playing a position he's not accustomed to, but I doubt it, as he has plenty of experience there. Oh well, poo poo happens.

The next guy grounds out to Cam any way, so no harm done.

: Kyle Reese starts us off with a leadoff walk! I'd have him steal, but golden glove Thabit is a bit too scary for me.

: Reese's speed is good for one thing - he avoids the double play, and advances on a Nif Bot ground ball. We now have a man in scoring position (first of the game) and up is Clink, who has been heating up as of late, batting .400 this postseason.

: Eh, Reese moves up to third, but now with two outs we need a single. Kane can be our hero!

: Another one of these games....

: Drago finally breaks out of his funk and hits a lead off single. He has two home runs this postseason, but not much else. In fact, that was his first hit against Istanbul!

: Welp, welcome to Damascus. A nicely placed cutter doesn't fool Hussein, who sends it well into the stands for a two run home run. With the wind blowing as it is, and in a hitter's park, this is kind of expected. I'm fearful of whether we can match their offense in this environment.

: Another single. Townshend isn't getting tired, but we may have to hook him if he starts really collapsing.

: Ruh-roh. Two men on, no outs, two runs already scored. The bullpen gets ready.

: Ugh. An RBI double by Reeve Trader knocks in another run, and puts men on second and third with one out (got a K in between). Flex appears to be losing his mojo, so we go to Franq-in-Friq to right the ship.

: That's... not how you do it, Franq-in-Friq. Men on the corners now, one out.

: Gah! A fly ball, but a great throw by Cash Money can't quite catch Reeve Traitor as he comes home. Another run scores :negative:

Another single would be followed by a fly ball, which mercifully ends the inning. But not before we drop 5 - 0. Welcome to Damascus :negative:

: That's... not how you answer a 5 run inning. I'll keep using our decent relievers for now, but if our offense can't even narrow it, it may be better to conserve our best relievers for a game we're more likely to win. For now, Xerxes will come out to keep it at least 5 - 0.

: Xerxes does heem job, erasing a single with a double play for an otherwise uneventful inning. I might leave him in for one more, but I don't want to gas him in case we need him more tomorrow.

: Cam FINALLY gets a hit, and it should be noted that that's the first hit we've gotten all game. It took until the 6th to end the no hitter, and Mujahid is perfectly fine, with only 58 pitches thrown so far. We are unlikely to see him leave soon, unless we can start scoring some runs off of him.

: No Reese, that's not how we score runs :(.

: Xerxes remains on his game, and keeps it 5 - 0. He'll be replaced by Consty Al-Istanbuli, again to preserve the Jafar-Friar-MacGregor combo for tomorrow, unless we can make this a bit closer.

: Clink nets us hit number two, showing his speed by outrunning a ground ball to defensively excellent Ivan Drago. Let's hope this is the start of a rally, as we need to at least make this a closer game, or avoid the humiliation of a shutout.

: Kane nearly hits into a double play but outruns the throw at first. It's now up to the Rookie of the Year presumptive, Khalifa, to do something with Kane at first.

: But it's not to be, and Damascus fans sing an enthusiastic take me out to the ballgame during the seventh inning stretch, content to have a five run lead.

: :catstare: Well then. Consty Al-Istanbuli's first pitch is a home run, but it doesn't go over the fence, but rather bounces off the wall after an attempted catch by Reese, giving the speedy Sanchez plenty of time to round third. A great throw isn't great enough, as he scoots into home safely. That's certainly not something you see every day!

6-0 Damascus.

: Come on Queen, get your poo poo together! Again, this isn't even because he's at third - he's just mishandling routine ground balls. Or was he afraid of the broken bat?

A walk and a fielder's choice later, Consty gets out of the inning without anyone else scoring. That inside the park home run was pretty bizarre though.

: Leading off is Husayn Khoury, but since he's been hitting like crap, I bring in Mo Jihad to mix things up. Can't hurt, right?

: Uh, hello Mo Jihad! The shutout is broken as Mo Jihad hits a ball well into the wind, and it carries, a whole 424 feet before landing in the center field stands. Rai'd had no shot at that one.

Cash Money follows him up with a single. A rally in the making!

: Jeffers! :unsmith: Jeffers not only keeps us alive, but moves Cash money to third, so we have runners at first and third with no outs, and our better hitters coming up. You're making a case for you Jeffers, it's just a shame you couldn't hit better in the regular season!

: Cash Money again swings at the first pitch, but the contact is good, and he does what he does best - gets a bloop single. Jeffers moves to second, and now Reeve is up. With Reese, Bot, and Clink due, we may have a shot at getting back into this.

: Not ideal, but the runners advance for Nif Bot, who bats next. If we can at least score these two, we can go into the ninth down a much more manageable two runs.

: Nif what are you swinging at man? At least hit it into the outfield for one run! Bah, he strikes out, and Clink must now hit safely in order to advance the runners.

: And so our rally ends. We still get three more outs to work with, and I'd rather be down four than six, but it's not looking good.

: In comes Karif Ridwan, an innings eater. Gonna see if he can manage this inning, but I've got Jafar warming up to keep it from running away from us.

: :sigh: but he can't and after another out and a walk, Jafar comes in to salvage this.

And salvage he does, as he gets a popup and fly ball to end the inning, still 6-2.

: Our last three outs, and first up is Kane, then Khalifa, then Mo Jihad. Still facing us is their starter, Mujahid.

: Kane strikes out, and we lose another out. I try subbing in Prince Kelly for Khalifa (can always switch him and Clink position-wise) even though it's a lefty, just to see if he can spark some offense.

: He cannot. And it's now up to Mo Jihad to keep us alive.

: But Mo Jihad can't handle Mujahid, and we lose game 3 6-2, and the sweep is now no longer a possibility.

: Well, we finally lost one, but it's to be expected. We can't win every game in dramatic walk off fashion at home, and Damascus' park and DH rules are not what we are accustomed to. We have two more games in Damascus, so I hope it was just an off day, but it's a bit disturbing how much trouble we're having scoring against them. They're now outscoring us by three runs in the series, but let's hope they can't do as well without the wind carrying their dingers.

Shoutouts to Mo Jihad for his pinch hit dinger, and Xerxes for two lights-out innings. A shame Flex couldn't make it further in the game, but what are you gonna do?

The next game is tomorrow, against their ace, Sofian. Last time we played against him in game one he shut us out for eight innings, before we scored in extra innings. He's a righty, so here's our lineup against him:

: Kane's at DH again, but nothing fancy. Khalifa's back at SS (thankfully) and Jeffer's gone, with Kelly in right field. It may be worth considering replacing the slow hitting Khoury with Mo Jihad, but no one is officially hot anymore.

One other thing to consider is our pitcher. Right now we have Jack Price slated to pitch, but he's 82% rested, which isn't too bad. We've kept Albrecht Alby rested 100%, so he's another option, but probably not as good a pitcher.

Sofian is 97% rested, so he's on short rest but seems to be handling the workload a bit better than Price. He's only 30 to Price's 35, so that might be part of it. Your call if you'd rather be conservative and rest Price an extra day.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Is game 5 back home? If so I say start Alby to maximize our win chance by having home advantage plus our ace pitcher. If Alby gets the win, then that's just gravy.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I'm about halfway through the thread, but this is an amusing premise and also cool I found football manager thanks to the Wales LP and got addicted, really tempted to buy this game because it looks fun. However I must say you guys missed a huge opportunity at league creation...

YOU DIDN'T ADD A LIBYAN TEAM RUN BY MUMMAR GADDAFFI!!!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

*Double Post*

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Alby; there's a guaranteed game 5 anyway for Price to pitch at 100%.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soviets posted:

Is game 5 back home? If so I say start Alby to maximize our win chance by having home advantage plus our ace pitcher. If Alby gets the win, then that's just gravy.

The series is a seven game series, so it goes like this:

2-3-2, where the first 2 are in Istanbul, 3 in Damascus, and 2 in Istanbul. Alby would be pitching game 4 in Damascus, and Price again in Damascus for game 5, before Tor and Townshend finish it up in Istanbul as necessary.

Keep in mind that if we pitched Price today, he'd probably be able to start a game 7, which would be harder if he pitches tomorrow.

The thread seems to be digging Alby, so he'll get the start if there's not other opinions.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

You know who else is fully rested?

#3 on the team in the only stat that matters WINS - Bolivar Mallen.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

:swoon: I can't tell if you went with Muhammad, or went with a Sikh dude, but I'm going to leave it ambiguous partly so you don't die to ISIS, and partly because George W. Bush.

It's just "man in turban" but thank you!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I finally caught up on this LP and I wanna say you guys made smart moves on acquiring free agents and trades those guys were your seasonal difference makers. The only other comment I will make is in baseball players tend to age better than soccer, in Football Manager by 32 most players unless they are some of the best just drop off athletically so much they can become a liability. In baseball most guys can play without too much decline until their 40's (barring injuries) so I wouldn't be too worried about giving healthy guys who are 30-31 a 5-6 year contract. Also I am in favor of the DH rule, but whatever I know I am in the minority. Edgar Martinez was one of the bright spots for the Mariners for a long time.

Also I think the league should expand after this season adding 1 team to each division and adding increasing the playoffs to make things more interesting. We need a Tripoli team with Gadaffi having his kids play for them, and a Jordanian team with a startrek theme because their King is a fan and showed up as an extra on the show. Shiite's are a problem though other than Oman being Ibadi I think you would have to add an extra Iranian team or maybe a Copt team in Alexandria?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

I finally caught up on this LP and I wanna say you guys made smart moves on acquiring free agents and trades those guys were your seasonal difference makers. The only other comment I will make is in baseball players tend to age better than soccer, in Football Manager by 32 most players unless they are some of the best just drop off athletically so much they can become a liability. In baseball most guys can play without too much decline until their 40's (barring injuries) so I wouldn't be too worried about giving healthy guys who are 30-31 a 5-6 year contract. Also I am in favor of the DH rule, but whatever I know I am in the minority. Edgar Martinez was one of the bright spots for the Mariners for a long time.

Also I think the league should expand after this season adding 1 team to each division and adding increasing the playoffs to make things more interesting. We need a Tripoli team with Gadaffi having his kids play for them, and a Jordanian team with a startrek theme because their King is a fan and showed up as an extra on the show. Shiite's are a problem though other than Oman being Ibadi I think you would have to add an extra Iranian team or maybe a Copt team in Alexandria?

All good ideas (I love the stark trek Jordan idea!), and while you're generally right on the aging thing, we've also gotten really, really lucky. In some of my own simulations or games I've played outside of this LP, I've had guys drop off dramatically at 32 and live out multi-million dollar contracts as a poo poo players well below replacement, despite having been on a hall of fame trajectory. Fink and Black both played well into their 40's, which while not unusual in baseball, isn't really the norm either. We just haven't really been following the guys who collapsed.

One thing about OOTP16 is that if players become REALLY bad, to the point of worthlessness, they'll often retire rather than live out their contract. And in the game, if a player retires, he forfeits all future contract revenue, freeing us from his contract from that point on. Most will stick around if they're going to get paid and get played, but you can kinda pressure them out if you really try.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

JosefStalinator posted:

All good ideas (I love the stark trek Jordan idea!), and while you're generally right on the aging thing, we've also gotten really, really lucky. In some of my own simulations or games I've played outside of this LP, I've had guys drop off dramatically at 32 and live out multi-million dollar contracts as a poo poo players well below replacement, despite having been on a hall of fame trajectory. Fink and Black both played well into their 40's, which while not unusual in baseball, isn't really the norm either. We just haven't really been following the guys who collapsed.

One thing about OOTP16 is that if players become REALLY bad, to the point of worthlessness, they'll often retire rather than live out their contract. And in the game, if a player retires, he forfeits all future contract revenue, freeing us from his contract from that point on. Most will stick around if they're going to get paid and get played, but you can kinda pressure them out if you really try.

Makes sense not too familiar with how OOTP works although if it goes on sale this summer I will probably buy it and setup a league. From watching the MLB usually good players don't magically turn to crap unless they get derailed by injuries, although it does happen. However I was just saying sometimes people seem a little too cautious on signing 30-31 year old guys who don't really have an injury history. With the way the team is currently setup as a contender trading prospects for current good players is a reasonable strategy, which made me happy when you traded for Kyle Reese. Although currently I don't feel like the roster has any real holes besides first base which is mostly just inconsistent rather than bad.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Jack2142 posted:

From watching the MLB usually good players don't magically turn to crap unless they get derailed by injuries, although it does happen. However I was just saying sometimes people seem a little too cautious on signing 30-31 year old guys who don't really have an injury history.

This is contrary to conventional and sabermetric opinion, as a random example, here are some charts.

• Locked thread