Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Jabor posted:

The benefit of damping is the +20 psi-defence to help stop you getting mind controlled (or mindfrayed, or psi-paniced) in the first place.

does that even happen, i only saw them get stunned regardless of any psi-defence considerations, besides who cares, let them get controlled then bum rush the controller, ez game ez life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Segmentation Fault posted:

What anime is this from? Asking for a friend
Monster Musume
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720982

I was morbidly curious and read the manga of it and...it's actually not bad, basically an explicit Tenchi Muyo with monster girls instead of aliens, pretty funny at times, assuming seeing anime boobs doesn't make you :byodood:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Necc0 posted:

It's a lot more stable if you put steam in offline mode for some reason. Try that first.

In other news I finally beat xcom. I was only on normal difficulty but I still feel like that was an accomplishment. On the one hand the last third is a pretty tough grind but I kind of liked how you were in a war of attrition of sorts. Sure you could largely handle any mission they threw at you but one gently caress up meant you were losing a high-ranked officer and good luck training another rookie up at this point.
Tried this, didn't work.

Pohl posted:

Have you tried restarting it? If anything updated at all, Long War will always crash the first time you start it.
Restarted several times, I'm able to load the game, no matter what I do after a few minutes whenever I click on something is CTDs

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hey Beagle, just watched one of your things for the first time, and enjoyed it a lot. You're good and have gained a new fan today.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Liu posted:

does that even happen, i only saw them get stunned regardless of any psi-defence considerations, besides who cares, let them get controlled then bum rush the controller, ez game ez life.

Mostly true, unless your murder machine Assault gets mind controlled and you don't have anyone else in position or the tech level to take out a the Sectoid Commander. Then, that little fucker will turn and run while you are stuck trying to not kill your murder Assault while keeping everyone else safe from the murder. That is a scary rear end situation when your best most powerful unit is run and gunning towards your guys, and you really don't want to have to kill him/her. You are tossing flashbangs and using disabling shot and whatever else while a couple of your other troops go off on a wild goose chase trying to find the Commander. Oh, what is that? Another pod. :suicide:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Firaxis has announced its partnership with General Mills and included a free female snake with every purchase of a box of Cheerios.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of my favorite changes EW made was just having sectoid commanders show up in regular groups accompanying mechtoids. It sounds small but it turns mind control into something you might actually have to deal with as opposed to something that will be irrelevant on every mission because the only enemies that use it are always hiding inside the tactical command closet.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Robzilla posted:

Tried this, didn't work.
Restarted several times, I'm able to load the game, no matter what I do after a few minutes whenever I click on something is CTDs

I don't know. I went through a period where the game became really unstable. I uninstalled long war, updated XCOM back to 100%, then reinstalled long war. My save was still there and I stopped having crashing issues. That sucked, but at least it worked. No guarantees, but if nothing else works that might.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Captain Invictus posted:

Firaxis has announced its partnership with General Mills and included a free female snake with every purchase of a box of Cheerios.

Total ripoff, missing most vital two features

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

I don't know. I went through a period where the game became really unstable. I uninstalled long war, updated XCOM back to 100%, then reinstalled long war. My save was still there and I stopped having crashing issues. That sucked, but at least it worked. No guarantees, but if nothing else works that might.
Yeah, thanks for the assist anywho. I'm doing that now.

Zomborgon posted:

Total ripoff, missing most vital two features
Obviously the gun and armor. :colbert:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Does anyone know of a mod that removes the awful idle sound from hover SHIVs?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

They're the midboss. They aren't really supposed to still be around when you're getting ready to gently caress up battleships and poo poo.

In my game, they still were because cells kept declining to appear, via sabotage or intel scans. I went three solid months after building the gollop chamber and being ready to end the game because I wanted the achievement for getting the exact location of their base. I think they sabotaged me... three times over the entire campaign? Maybe four? They weren't even a nuisance, just a chore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think Exalt has ever done anything significant to me. The poo poo they do is just extremely petty. Oh no, you drained my cash reserve of $5. Truly this is a blow Xcom can never recover from. :geno:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dude that was the pizza and beer money.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

Reinstalled, LW 15 reinstalled, working a-o-kay now it seems.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Falling Skies: The Game
http://www.littleorbit.com/falling-skies-the-game.html

Its almost a direct XCom copy/paste. Except bad.

Edit: added link to the game

Beagle and Jamball have a copy of this sitting in their TNX gmail account--maybe they'll even "enjoy" it one day.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Robzilla posted:

Tried this, didn't work.

I didn't realize until you quoted this that I didn't specify that I finally beat LONG WAR- not just XCOM. Sort of a big difference :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Robzilla posted:

Obviously the gun and armor. :colbert:

Lightning Reflexes and poison spit.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Btw, not sure anyone would care about this or not, but I started a patreon page last week over on reddit to send a bunch of nice cupcakes from a local bakery to the XCOM team over at Firaxis studios.

Was out of pocket like $200 but then everyone jumped in and donated enough to make that full amount in its entirety - so I dropped another $30 on a dozen more.

54 cupcakes of 3 diff flavors w/ the edible Vigilo Confido shield printed on the top will be arriving there on Tuesday. They should be posting something on twitter w/ a pic or something.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 7, 2015

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

oswald ownenstein posted:

Btw, not sure anyone would care about this or not, but I started a patreon page last week over on reddit to send a bunch of nice cupcakes from a local bakery to the XCOM team over at Firaxis studios.

Was out of pocket like $200 but then everyone jumped in and donated enough to make that full amount in its entirety - so I dropped another $30 on a dozen more.

54 cupcakes of 3 diff flavors w/ the Vigilo Confido theme will be arriving there on Tuesday. They should be posting something on twitter w/ a pic or something.

thin man spotted

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Liu posted:

thin man spotted

On SA? Not likely.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Anatharon posted:

On SA? Not likely.

:eyepop:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

aegof posted:

Beagle and Jamball have a copy of this sitting in their TNX gmail account--maybe they'll even "enjoy" it one day.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think Exalt has ever done anything significant to me. The poo poo they do is just extremely petty. Oh no, you drained my cash reserve of $5. Truly this is a blow Xcom can never recover from. :geno:
Well this is the same universe where buying a medkit and a scope costs more than a fighter jet so :shrug:

I never entirely figured out how much one X-Buck was worth. Million maybe? Even then the discrepancies in price are still pretty wacky.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SexyCommando posted:

Well this is the same universe where buying a medkit and a scope costs more than a fighter jet so :shrug:

I never entirely figured out how much one X-Buck was worth. Million maybe? Even then the discrepancies in price are still pretty wacky.

Yeah but then your running into the issue that a standard Exalt gun is worth a cool million.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, Beagle, you absolutely 100% need to get Chaos Gate and use your loyal fanbase to help you get it working.
I'm a big fan of Chaos Gate and WH40k as a whole so I'd be fine with helping figure out a way to make this work. Realistically the only way to do it is a virtual machine, but that's not a huge deal if you know what you're doing, and I literally use VMs every day to do my work.

Beagle, I notice you don't have PMs, so if you're interested just quote this post with an email I can contact you at.

Night10194 posted:

I always figured Exalt was meant to be a way for you to more easily train up some new soldiers if you lost your A team, to try to address the potential brittleness of X-COM, hence why they suck.

They were supposed to be a different ethos than the normal aliens, since they're essentially human traitors, but it didn't work well in the engine on the timeline they had. Basically everyone agrees that EXALT Geoscape was fantastic, EXALT Battlescape was a joke.

Captain Invictus posted:

op fodder

Internet Kraken posted:

Their financial attack can hurt a LOT if it hits right after the start of the month and you don't immediately spend your money, and they tend to awaken at the time you're actually starting to carry some cash around. However, most people will notice they can just start building satellites for later cancellation to 'save' their funds.

They can also screw up your research and if you don't have labs built you can lose an absolute poo poo-ton of time.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Coolguye posted:

I'm a big fan of Chaos Gate and WH40k as a whole so I'd be fine with helping figure out a way to make this work. Realistically the only way to do it is a virtual machine, but that's not a huge deal if you know what you're doing, and I literally use VMs every day to do my work.

Beagle, I notice you don't have PMs, so if you're interested just quote this post with an email I can contact you at.

I totes am interested although no promise of when I'd ACTUALLY get around to it (this is a serious comment coming from a guy who has a backlog of "games I want to play" stretching back several years).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

oswald ownenstein posted:

54 cupcakes of 3 diff flavors w/ the edible Vigilo Confido shield printed on the top will be arriving there on Tuesday. They should be posting something on twitter w/ a pic or something.

Great! Give them all diabetes so the game is never released! Thanks jackass!

In a seriousness you are a legit cool guy and it's a very nice act you did.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beagle posted:

I totes am interested although no promise of when I'd ACTUALLY get around to it (this is a serious comment coming from a guy who has a backlog of "games I want to play" stretching back several years).

It's been like 15 years since I played chaos gate on my sweet '98 450mhz gaming pc, but one thing that's cool and memorable is the soundtrack. They did space marine songs in latin and had them on the CD. It seems I'm not the only one who liked it and it's all up on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx61xeDV_60
Whole playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhll0TDIIdk&list=PLYStYjr1J77IAW6o1A76y7GqsTbwZ7Kjf

A friend and I tried to LAN the multiplayer and it bugged out horribly but for single player it was a great game. The other bug that I still remember was trying to throw a grenade would throw your melee weapon sometimes? I remember hunting around on tiles on the floor to find a knife I threw by accident (the game doesn't actually support throwing knives iirc). I think in my entire playthrough it only happened once or twice, though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I for one welcome our new Snake Tit Overlords.
Eager to see another Xcom and really hoping the custom maps means we'll have a survival play mode with no campaign. Where you just go as long as you can until you lose.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So, like, what the gently caress was up with the ending to Terror From The Deep anyway

Was it a lead-in for another cancelled xcom game or something

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
This is sounding pretty good. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FirstAidKite posted:

So, like, what the gently caress was up with the ending to Terror From The Deep anyway

Tie in with Sewer Shark, obv

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Where's the x-com rpg about fighting aliens that have been breeding in the sewers

Giant alien crocodiles and sewer mutants and cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers and other stuff that has been secretly living and making its homes in massive underground sewers and catacombs and other such places

Terror From The Seep

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I remember having a Chaos Gate demo on one of those CDs you used to get with PC game magazines and I played it to death but could never find a copy of the actual game. If it was released in Europe it wasn't available in Finland.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
I just did a covert op in Long War where the operative was an assault when he left, but when the mission was over he got promoted and became a sniper. That's... not normal, right?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ohboy this game isnt out yet *checks watch* only a couple months to go though ohboy

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Do not blaspheme against XCOM: Apocalypse, cur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I was just wondering, see people talking about 'Pods' and 'Pod Locations'. What does this refer to? Do aliens all stick next to them before revealed?

• Locked thread