Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Opera 12.x and Opera 15+.

But banging the gong for the Presto engine is beating a dead horse, at this point. Managing it was clearly killing the Opera org up until this point and peoples' refusal to switch seems to be what is killing it presently; not to say that refusal is unjustified, because Opera's execution of Chromium is pretty obviously bollocks, but facts are facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm sure nobody here is under any false hopes just because they list some things they like about it or is "banging the gong" for it, especially since we all know about more than enough of its quirks and shortcomings.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I don't even know what beating the gong means. All I was saying is that outside the realm of all-js web apps and web gl toys, presto is still the best performing engine, even if it has a few quirks of its own.

And while it may have been a good choice for Opera as a company to drop it, I still resent them for lying so much and for letting a great software simply die instead of setting it free.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm sure nobody here is under any false hopes just because they list some things they like about it or is "banging the gong" for it, especially since we all know about more than enough of its quirks and shortcomings.

You can never be too sure. Outside of this thread there are a lot of people that seem to think Vivaldi should somehow abscond with the Presto engine and use it instead of Chromium. :shepface:

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Opera mobile seems to have got synch at some point. What happens if I stick in my opera 12 era synch account into that? Will it actually work or eat all my settings? Anyone tried?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Opera mobile seems to have got synch at some point. What happens if I stick in my opera 12 era synch account into that? Will it actually work or eat all my settings? Anyone tried?

Entirely separate systems. There might be a migration later, perhaps.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

You can never be too sure. Outside of this thread there are a lot of people that seem to think Vivaldi should somehow abscond with the Presto engine and use it instead of Chromium. :shepface:

Being entirely semantic, the problem wasn't entirely _Presto_ so much as their JS engine being obsolete.

Am I wrong in remembering that the real stupid part of Presto's rendering "issues" being that Opera always tried to be super strict about standards while website & gecko had bugs/quirks?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The one I heard most complaints about was people writing CSS with -webkit and -mozilla prefixes, when the simple un-prefixed version had worked everywhere for years. Towards the end they started internally stripping the WebKit prefixes off a list of common elements just to look OK on most sites.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Computer viking posted:

The one I heard most complaints about was people writing CSS with -webkit and -mozilla prefixes, when the simple un-prefixed version had worked everywhere for years. Towards the end they started internally stripping the WebKit prefixes off a list of common elements just to look OK on most sites.

This is a problem for everybody and I think because of that, all browser vendors have decided to stop using prefixes during development, instead the user has to change some settings for experimental CSS rules to apply. Or something like that

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sure, but it's worse for presto (who has ever added an -o- prefix) than webkit.

And yes, prefixing has quietly died, which is mostly good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Is it just me who's had a lot of sites dying or refusing to load in Opera 12 this past week? If this keeps up, I'm probably going to try jumping over to Vivaldi or Otter as a primary sooner than I'd hoped.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Can you list some examples? I haven't noticed any particular changes in the last few weeks, although i've been using chrome for most of the video based stuff (like twitch or youtube) because that generally has a ton of setup javascript that doesn't mesh well with browser.js

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Next time it starts happening, I'll make a list. A temporary workaround has been "close Opera, wait for it to fully unload from memory (a process which takes a while), and then reopen it". But every time this happens now, I've tested, and whatever other browser I throw the sites at will load them no problemo, so it is indeed a browser issue of some sort.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I switched to Vivaldi fulltime a week or so ago. There's a lot of Opera 12 things missing but the performance boost (other than RAM) is more than worth it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Next time it starts happening, I'll make a list. A temporary workaround has been "close Opera, wait for it to fully unload from memory (a process which takes a while), and then reopen it". But every time this happens now, I've tested, and whatever other browser I throw the sites at will load them no problemo, so it is indeed a browser issue of some sort.

You probaby want to get the 64 bit version of Opera if you're on windows.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mithaldu posted:

That deals worse with plugins.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Riso posted:

That deals worse with plugins.
I haven't noticed anything like that, what are you talking about? I also can't imagine it's worse than "once Opera runs past the 32 bit memors address range, it simply stops loading some things".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Mithaldu posted:

I'm already using it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm already using it.
Then you could try deleting the cache directories in your profile directory: icons, cache, temporary_downloads, vps, pstorage, opcache

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Holy poo poo Vivaldi is so much nicer. I'm migrating everything over but this is miles ahead of O12 in terms of stability at this point.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Holy poo poo Vivaldi is so much nicer. I'm migrating everything over but this is miles ahead of O12 in terms of stability at this point.

Well, post impressions after using it for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty skeptical about them using JS in the UI.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Wheany posted:

Well, post impressions after using it for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty skeptical about them using JS in the UI.

Been using it since February here. It can be quirky but negligibly quirky in comparison to Opera 12. Only feature I really miss at this point is sync.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Wheany posted:

Can do. Mostly right now I'm just glad everything is a) loading, b) not hitching massively if a wave of images appears, and c) has a smaller memory footprint thus far.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
Here's a cool thing Opera randomly does on my machine. :downs:

Yep, it might be time to find a supported browser.

On the other hand, it vastly improves the quality of Youtube comments.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno how some of you can use vivaldi. It feels like a step back even from Chropera or whatever :p.

It's DPI font scaling is attrocious

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

suffix posted:

Here's a cool thing Opera randomly does on my machine. :downs:

Yep, it might be time to find a supported browser.

On the other hand, it vastly improves the quality of Youtube comments.

cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet

Seriously though, what kinda machine do you have? I've never seen something like that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's the github symbol font, I think - IIRC they use that as a webfont instead of sending a million little icons. As for why you'd get that instead of any other font ever, well...

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Stanley Pain posted:

Dunno how some of you can use vivaldi. It feels like a step back even from Chropera or whatever :p.

It's DPI font scaling is attrocious

It's a step backward onto a platform that is hurtling forward, which is a much better place to be than on a platform that has been immobile for years and is slowly sinking into the swamp.

edit: also loving lol @ quibbling over font scaling when this:

That's some wonderful font scaling

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's next gen font scaling ;)

I've also been using chromopera for ages now and haven't really looked back at 12.xx

The only thing I miss are the scalable tabs and certain per website settings you could do in 12.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Stanley Pain posted:

That's next gen font scaling ;)

I've also been using chromopera for ages now and haven't really looked back at 12.xx

The only thing I miss are the scalable tabs and certain per website settings you could do in 12.

I used both 12.x and 15+ before February; 12.x for general use and 15+ for the lovely sites which kept bogging down 12.x. Vivaldi was more fully featured than 15+ out of the gate in TP1; it is what 15+ should have been day 1, hour 1. As for 12.x, Vivaldi is rapidly catching up. Being able to finally use one browser which has all the features I want for things like a normal human instead of leapfrogging back and forth between a good, dieing browser and a lovely new one is stupendous.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I used both 12.x and 15+ before February; 12.x for general use and 15+ for the lovely sites which kept bogging down 12.x. Vivaldi was more fully featured than 15+ out of the gate in TP1; it is what 15+ should have been day 1, hour 1. As for 12.x, Vivaldi is rapidly catching up. Being able to finally use one browser which has all the features I want for things like a normal human instead of leapfrogging back and forth between a good, dieing browser and a lovely new one is stupendous.

Will it have mouse-wheel tab changing and rocker gestures anytime soon? Lack of well-implemented gestures (there's a ton of gestures addons for other browsers, but they're all broken poo poo) is what keeps any browser but O12 from being useful to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is there any way to set the "right-drag down" mouse gesture in Vivaldi to open a new window instead of a new tab? the "mouse and keyboard" settings seem to just be keyboard shortcuts.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Never understood why Opera (or vivaldi now) never included a simple calendar. Together with notes and email you could cover most of the personal information needs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: Never mind

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

Will it have mouse-wheel tab changing and rocker gestures anytime soon? Lack of well-implemented gestures (there's a ton of gestures addons for other browsers, but they're all broken poo poo) is what keeps any browser but O12 from being useful to me.

It has those, yeah, mouse-wheel tab cycling doesn't have a popup list but switches through tabs in the last order you accessed them or tab order depending on the option you choose in the Tab menu in settings. The default mouse gestures work well but they aren't customisable yet as far as I can tell. Rocker gestures are the same as Opera 12.

Only been using it a few hours and Vivaldi already graduated to daily driver browser status for me. Added a few chrome extensions like ad block and hover zoom and it's mostly perfect. All I need now are access to addon buttons for zenmate and also Netflix support I'll be perfectly happy with it. Tabs on bottom, mouse gestures, chrome extensions (mostly), it's so beautiful. Chrome with tabs on the bottom was all I ever really wanted anyway.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Xachariah posted:

It has those, yeah, mouse-wheel tab cycling doesn't have a popup list but switches through tabs in the last order you accessed them or tab order depending on the option you choose in the Tab menu in settings. The default mouse gestures work well but they aren't customisable yet as far as I can tell. Rocker gestures are the same as Opera 12.

Only been using it a few hours and Vivaldi already graduated to daily driver browser status for me. Added a few chrome extensions like ad block and hover zoom and it's mostly perfect. All I need now are access to addon buttons for zenmate and also Netflix support I'll be perfectly happy with it. Tabs on bottom, mouse gestures, chrome extensions (mostly), it's so beautiful. Chrome with tabs on the bottom was all I ever really wanted anyway.
Haha, goddamn, i go and try it out and the "tab order" cycling is reverse of what the order in Opera is, and there's no way to reconfigure the direction, meaning it's still entirely useless.

Also, before it becomes usable at all, they'll need to make JS fast. (ahahahaha) I'm on Windows and i've seen these few issues within the first 2 minutes of playing with Vivaldi: Settings window style render in visibly while opening the window instead of being there right off the bat. Tab cycling is excrutiatingly slow compared to Opera 12, Firefox (though equally fast as Chrome). Heck, even as simple a task as creating new tabs is noticably slow.

As much as i want to see Vivaldi become a thing, because their head is at least kind of in a place that's similar to the right place, UI-wise, i don't think they'll ever amount to anything. Their technology stack just prohibits the kind of optimizations necessary to perform even comparably to Opera 12, especially when you consider that they have implemented only a percentage of the features necessary to make it a full production-ready software.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I have noticed none of those things. I'm on Windows 8.1 and running the 64-bit Vivaldi and everything is instant for me.

It's not intended to be a full featured production ready software at the moment by the way, it's a pre-beta technical preview. It still works great for me at least. You can probably suggest features you feel are missing from it on their official forums if you're still interested in the project in spite of its shortcomings.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, that's passing me by too, Win7 64-bit. You might have found a bug that needs reporting.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Win7 64 bit. Here's how Vivaldi behaves for me, in comparison to Opera 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvSc3_RZTo

I open a bunch of tabs, duplicate them, and then hit ctrl+t a bunch to make new tabs, as well as tab cycle while scrolling as fast as i can. Vivaldi is noticably slower than Opera 12 for both of these tasks. Does it really behave differently for you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I was using vivaldi a bunch, but seemingly randomly it would just start taking up 40%+ processor for long periods of time. Also the window crashed if you tried to drag text/photos around