Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I can't offer any fault to the art or music teams for this game, just a shame about the game they're attached to.

Pretty much my opinion. The art's amazing, and full of 'small' details that makes you want to explore the HW universe as much as possible; the trail of the ruined megalith, and even the scattered ruin of the Progenitor mothership really does offer a sense of that which came before. The issue is that, because the game is basically 'poke the plot point', you miss out on the mystique and sense of existential dread that pervaded a large part of HW1 and even Cataclysm; 'Here be dragons' has been replaced with 'As the good book says', and the game comes off weaker for it.

One touch I appreciate is that the progenitor ships have a different hyperspace glow compared to the main fleet. Though, I think that whomever designed the Dreadnought needs a lesson in 'Just because it's the best-armed vessel in the fleet doesn't mean it should look like a generic Sci-fi assault rifle' I swear, I think they used the same model as the assault rifle in Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I found the very end amusing.

"Oh poo poo! That things gonna blow, let's bug out!"
"Wait! We need to get all the goodies AND get into formation!"
*Fade to black*
"Alright, now let's-"
"BUGS! Kill them!" *Ships begin to move out of place and shoot the remaining Drones*
"...just loving jump already." *all ships jump, despite being out of place*

It was more amusing than tense.

And to jump on the bandwagon, yes, the music in this mission was just wonderful.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
A big piece of the puzzle re: this games plot and its pace of development falls into place when you remember that the Battlestar Galactica reboot was massively popular around this time, and that this game was Vivendi finishing the job Cendant/CUC started on Sierra's portfolio with business practices so awful they could only go down in either the games industry or the methamphetamine trade.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

HW2 was released in September 2003, the BSG mini-series in December 2013.

Edit: Whoops. Yeah, meant December 2003.

Argas fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 10, 2015

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Argas posted:

You mean 2003. The 3-part Miniseries aired December 8.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Argas posted:

Nope. nBSG ran from 2004 through 2009. The Miniseries itself came out in 2003.

Homeworld 2 was released in 2003.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I always found it hilarious how the Keeper quite politely sits smack-dab in the middle of the only thing that can conceivably harm it.

At one point I saw it hyperspace outside of the three plot doohickeys, only to jump back in as soon as Mover 3 was in position to place the last device.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
This was probably my favourite mission in the game discoving the cool progenitors ships and long running battle with the keeper than the next mission I really enjoyed the atmosphere the plot is crap but the direction and art is so pretty and the unremaster version holds up really well. Also the music is really good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sel Nar posted:

Pretty much my opinion. The art's amazing, and full of 'small' details that makes you want to explore the HW universe as much as possible; the trail of the ruined megalith, and even the scattered ruin of the Progenitor mothership really does offer a sense of that which came before. The issue is that, because the game is basically 'poke the plot point', you miss out on the mystique and sense of existential dread that pervaded a large part of HW1 and even Cataclysm; 'Here be dragons' has been replaced with 'As the good book says', and the game comes off weaker for it

I'd play the absolute hell out of a Freelancer/X type game set in HW-verse. Preferably pre-HW2 with playable Somtaaw.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

While paying ahead...

I'm sorry, I had forgotten some of these missions existed. I don't do that with the previous two games. Each mission was unique and memorable for one thing or another. And I've encountered two missions in a row which were so bland that they slipped my memory of this game.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

berryjon posted:

While paying ahead...

I'm sorry, I had forgotten some of these missions existed. I don't do that with the previous two games. Each mission was unique and memorable for one thing or another. And I've encountered two missions in a row which were so bland that they slipped my memory of this game.

Honestly, I think I've recognized two missions so far, and one of those is the first mission. I had completely forgotten that this bit was stretched out over so many missions.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The best part of the mission, even better than "Here's an invincible AI enemy for you to beat on to literally zero effect", even better than "Here's a brand new, super-awesome super-weapon, oh but it doesn't work against the invincible enemy either, *sad trombone*", even better than "The real key to defeat this enemy is going and collecting three bear asses, then slotting them onto these three random space bears", is that after all that loving buildup the goddamned thing doesn't even explode! It's like running out of the building with the timer hitting 00:01, and then a jump-cut to everyone sitting at the bar, saying "Whew, we dodged a bullet there!"

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Those trigger devices? They look like giant fuses.

So, basically, you put spare ancient fuses into giant decorative lightbulb in space.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

NHO posted:

Those trigger devices? They look like giant fuses.

So, basically, you put spare ancient fuses into giant decorative lightbulb in space.

In order to attract the giant space moth so it'd leave you alone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A giant space moth with a big scary face on the front to deter predators.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I posted it in the main remastered thread, but for anyone who unbookmarked it: Homeworld Remastered updated with a new level! We all have Raider Retreat now.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

... after all that loving buildup the goddamned thing doesn't even explode! It's like running out of the building with the timer hitting 00:01, and then a jump-cut to everyone sitting at the bar, saying "Whew, we dodged a bullet there!"

Yeah, this jump-cut hurt me. Just...have a proper ending! Homeworld 1 really did this well. "There's nothing left for us here."

I really tend hard over in the other direction though. I'm the flight sim player who wants to fly half an hour back to base, land it, pull it up to the hangar, park it, and get out. So the abruptness hits me harder.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is also the first real mention of AI in the entirety of the Homeworld series, and it's not really significant. It seems more than anything to be just an excuse to have the player fight something other than the Vagyr while you get all this plot dumped on you. They weren't even really doing anything before you came around, they just don't like you poking their space derelicts. They don't even really talk, which is just as well, since fleet command never really tried talking to them, which in itself is a major departure from the rest of the Homeworld games.

The Turanic Raiders were interesting, these guys just seem like a glorified car alarm that the Progenitors left on and never came back to turn off.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Turanic Raiders were interesting, these guys just seem like a glorified car alarm that the Progenitors left on and never came back to turn off.

The Raiders are interesting while we know nothing about the origins we are shown new things we don't know about the Raiders in the previous games. Even the Kadeshi's full reveal was a cleverly disguised exposition through deductions that made perfect sense from the Hiigarians' POV.

While in this game the thing is just...there and there's nothing to know more about.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is also the first real mention of AI in the entirety of the Homeworld series, and it's not really significant. It seems more than anything to be just an excuse to have the player fight something other than the Vagyr while you get all this plot dumped on you. They weren't even really doing anything before you came around, they just don't like you poking their space derelicts. They don't even really talk, which is just as well, since fleet command never really tried talking to them, which in itself is a major departure from the rest of the Homeworld games.

We did learn one neat thing about the Progenitors here, though. We learned they were native to another galaxy. As far as I know, this is where the 'Progenitors were humans' theory comes from.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mission 09 is so devoid of meaningful content that a 44 minute mission has 9 minutes of me talking, and 31 minutes of fast forwarding.

:psyduck:

I can't wait for the game to pick up its pace a bit more.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Tthanks for doing the LP of this. After a friend bought me the Remastered box I definitely felt like it was time to play these, and I was starting a slog into HW2 Remastered when I got here and just decided to watch you do it instead. Especially since you do a good job of laying down that stream of fun facts on top of it.

...also apparently the reply taking me to task for doing nothing but complain about the game in this LP thread was actually just something I dreamed about, because I sure don't see that reply anymore. Weird. Still thanks though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The final mission 09 video is 16 minutes and 18 seconds long. Down from 44:41.

That's... not good level design.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

berryjon posted:

How did that take so long? Remastered 09 didn't take that long, I don't think.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

How did that take so long? Remastered 09 didn't take that long, I don't think.

The Dreadnought is slow, and I docking pathing can get a little wonky at times. Then there's the 15 minute wait, followed by hunting down all the left over forces.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

berryjon posted:

Why did they ever get rid of the speedup button?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Relic didn't care much for Cataclysm.

Any of it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

An even better question would be why they made missions that make you wish for a speedup button.
I don't recall ever wishing I could fast forwards through bits in HW1. Besides the post-mission-complete harvesting that is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Raygereio posted:

An even better question would be why they made missions that make you wish for a speedup button.
I don't recall ever wishing I could fast forwards through bits in HW1. Besides the post-mission-complete harvesting that is.

I might be a weirdo but hanging out in deep space with chill music while we mined asteroids felt like a nice prize after a stressful mission. I kinda miss that downtime.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Part of the problem is that there is no downtime in the mission until the very end. I'm going to upload the full version of the mission as well, so you can all 'experience' it for yourself if you so choose.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

berryjon posted:

Part of the problem is that there is no downtime in the mission until the very end. I'm going to upload the full version of the mission as well, so you can all 'experience' it for yourself if you so choose.
I think I remember this mission: it's just one constant soulless battle of attrition that just keeps going, right?

Edit:
that's a fair point :v:
\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 13, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

radintorov posted:

I think I remember this mission: it's just one constant soulless battle of attrition that just keeps going, right?

Well, thats been most of the missions so far.

Waves of Movers attacking you as you move slowly down the field.
Waves of Vaygyr attacking as you slowly kill radioactive McGuffins
Waves of Super-unkillable ships that jizz out fighters as your movers slowly bring back the Grand McGuffin

etc.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I"m just getting annoyed that movement wise it doesn't change between missions. The other games had you moving around in different paces for different objectives, and here you're kind of doing the same old motions and actions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think it would help if any of the voice actors showed any hint of emotion to accompany the events, tragic early on and then momentous and mythic. Instead you just get :geno: "Squadron under attack. New research options available. Retrieve the Gatekeeper of Sajuuk. Objective updated."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

radintorov posted:

The Energizer bunny runs out first, that's how long it keeps going and going.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

berryjon posted:

The Energizer bunny runs out first, that's how long it keeps going and going.

I know exactly the mission. It nearly got me to stop playing the game, and it's the main reason I don't attempt replays.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This is a definite low point in the game, with poor mission design as the least of its worries.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If the Naabal is destroyed, you don't fail tye mission, oddly enough. You have to wait a bit and a replacement shipyard is sent in. It's in your best interest to keep the thing alive though, it has a health bonus over other shipyards.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

That was some fine fast-forward music.

Also, do the Vaygr have Grand Admiral Thrawn? Their tactical hyperspacing is not only tedious and annoying mission design, but also Bentusi-level precision compared to the Hiigaran's "hey, why don't you drive that slow-rear end ship a few hundred kilometers?" capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"We can fix this ancient technology in 15 minutes, but we arbitrarily can't copy its giant cannons for use on our own capital ships!"

When I played Homeworld 2 I remember my strategy centered a lot around just making huge, disposable clumps of Ion Cannon Platforms and hurling them at enemy capital ships until I ruined all their Shipyards and Carriers, then mopping up with everything else.

• Locked thread