Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah, so what you mean is that it's more or less a Lufia game in name only. Now that sounds more fair.

Maybe I'll look into it...

Make sure you use a cartridge. Or have a code handy to give you items. The rom has a bug that freezes the game when you try to buy stuff and as far as I know, there's no fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait what?

All the ROM dumps are improper, or is it an emulation issue?

EDIT: I just checked, there's a proper dump... so there's either an emulator issue or you just have the bad one.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 27, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Could be. I haven't played it in years. I just remember I had to put in a code to get all the items and equipped them as I found them in shops. Then I started getting annoyed at the game and just threw on everyone's ultimate equipment and blew through the rest.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, the first version that was released was a bad dump. Someone followed up a bit later with one that wasn't busted.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That sliding puzzle was actually pretty neat-looking. Shame they didn't do more with it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it possible to get back to Gratze at all?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it possible to get back to Gratze at all?

I want to say that you can take the sub back to the dungeon, but the door leading out of it to Gratze doesn't open any more.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The airship can go to where it USED to be but it's destroyed and you can't enter it from the world map.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
So after a bit of evaluation, I might want to wait until I get the Egg Dragon subquest done before I tackle this next part. Pretty much the instant we finish the upcoming dungeon, the game hustles us to the endgame.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I've beaten this game at least once, but... I don't remember this part at all. Kind of weird that way, but I do love the whole tank deal.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Blastinus posted:

So after a bit of evaluation, I might want to wait until I get the Egg Dragon subquest done before I tackle this next part. Pretty much the instant we finish the upcoming dungeon, the game hustles us to the endgame.

Well, strictly speaking it's after finishing the third one. You can gently caress off after the first two (and clearing most of the way through the third) if you like.

But from a standpoint of LP narrative, I agree that it's probably best to go sidequesting now rather than later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Good luck with that. I've always wanted to get those eggs, but running through all dungeons again is something I just can't get myself to do. :smith:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Darth TNT posted:

Good luck with that. I've always wanted to get those eggs, but running through all dungeons again is something I just can't get myself to do. :smith:

Yeah, that's what's been holding up this update.

But hey! Fun fact! The Jewel Sonar actually changes the number of pings depending on how many unopened chests are in the dungeon. So supposing, just for the sake of argument, there were five Dragon Eggs in a single dungeon, just hypothetically, it would actually ring five times.

Not like this has actually happened during this sub-quest, forcing me to delve through every nook and cranny, but if it were to happen, it would be really aggravating.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blastinus posted:

Yeah, that's what's been holding up this update.

But hey! Fun fact! The Jewel Sonar actually changes the number of pings depending on how many unopened chests are in the dungeon. So supposing, just for the sake of argument, there were five Dragon Eggs in a single dungeon, just hypothetically, it would actually ring five times.

Not like this has actually happened during this sub-quest, forcing me to delve through every nook and cranny, but if it were to happen, it would be really aggravating.

Why would it be aggravating if there were 5 in a single location? That would save you heaps of time.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Darth TNT posted:

Why would it be aggravating if there were 5 in a single location? That would save you heaps of time.

It was the last place I searched.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Blastinus posted:

It was the last place I searched.

Well, you wouldn't have kept searching after you found them all, right? That's just silly.

:v:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, you wouldn't have kept searching after you found them all, right? That's just silly.

:v:

I thought that was the whole point of redistributing them into previous chests.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Chapter 35: Gotta Hatch 'Em All

Last time, we eliminated Gratze as a world-dominant power by mocking its ruler until he blew his whole nation up.

Seriously, so much wasted potential.

: Good! We've finished the remodeling plans for Excerion. Mabel, come over here please!

: Would you bring Excerion to the dock!?

: Yes, right away.

: How long will it take to remodel Excerion?

: With minds like ours working on it, it won't take too long.

: Here it comes! Let's get on with it!

Lots of shaking and banging ensues.

: They're really remodeling, right? Nothing else?

: They're not trying to tear it apart, are they!?

: My goodness!

: Now, Excerion can fly in the air and swim in the sea. It's a dream ship!

: Thank you all so much. I'll take good care of her.

: Don't worry. Use it as you wish. If you break it, I can repair it right away. Besides, I think that you are probably the only people who can defeat Daos.

: We'll beat him alright, and come back! I promise!

: I knew you'd say that. Go on. Press the "A" button whenever you want to fly.

: Ok.

Suddenly, ringing.

: Maxim! What's that sound?

: Is it Dual Blade ringing!? No...a little different.

: But very similar.

: What! Above Narvick? Why Narvick...?

: What do you mean why?

: Narvick's a small village on Shuman Island. It's surrounded by mountains, cut off from others. No one knows what kind of village it is or what kind of people live there. There are two other islands around Shuman, Strahda and Kamirno. Each has a spooky tower. We never get too close. But why would Doom Island stop above such a village?

: And this sound. It seems the sound is coming from the tower on Shuman Island.

: From the tower on Shuman Island? Hmm. Could Doom Island have something to do with it?

: The winds around Doom Island are really gusting up a storm.

This game's asking me to mock it.

: Yes. This can't be a natural thing.

: It's Daos! It's got to be him!

: He's trying to stop us from getting up there. Well, I didn't expect a warm welcome.

: Hmm. If that's the case, Excerion may not be strong enough.

: In any case, we'll go to Narvick. We can't just sit around and worry about it all day long. That ringing sound troubles me, too, because it comes from the tower on the same island.

: You're right. There's no time to worry. Let's head west by air to Narvick.

And by "let's" he actually means "you". He's got to stick around and do...science.

Anyways, as advertised, at any point, we can turn our speedboat into a dirigible.

Funny, I'm not getting that same feeling of majesty that I got when the second airship rose from the sea in Final Fantasy 6. You know, when Searching For Friends started playing? Maybe it's because we've already had free roam of the whole world except for exactly one place, so this doesn't feel as significant.

But hey, having the ability to zoom around to wherever we want is going to come in handy, because...

It's Dragon Egg hunting time.

Any place where we've opened a chest before is valid. Any place.

Even chests that used to hold keys or dungeon items.

Delving through each dungeon gives me a chance to also go back and grab stuff that I forgot. For instance, you see these rocks here in the Northwest Alunze Cave?

Yup, they're breakable with a hammer.

The equipment's a little outdated for this point in the game, but it'll help to remove them so the Jewel Sonar doesn't give me a false positive.

A lot of the time, you have to go all the way to the end of a dungeon in order to find the eggs. They can be literally anywhere.

No word on whether the eggs can show up in the World's Most Difficult Trick, but I don't see why not.

But speaking of the World's Most Difficult Trick, if you take a right instead of a left from the stairs leading down from it, you can find five more chests.

Yes, five more. Dragon Mountain has ALL the treasures in it.

And just to disprove something someone said in the thread, the Sunken Temple is NOT a part of Doom Island. You can travel all the way back and the only thing that's different is that Dual Blade isn't here anymore.

Not much else to say about this little quest. You gather all the eggs...

Get your wish...

Rinse and repeat.

I actually really enjoyed this quest though, since it meant a lot of going back through old dungeons and testing your knowledge of where all the chests are and how to get to them.

Although seriously, putting one way at the end of the Shrine of Vengeance? Not cool.

Thanks to all this dungeon diving and backtracking, I managed to get most of the crew up to Level 99, which is a giant step from Level 98. Seriously, 97 to 98 is only about 200,000 exp, and then you get this nonsense.

We've also got a whole lot of money, and I know just where we can blow it.

Seriously, with the amount of exploration demanded of the player doing this sub-quest, you can just outright buy enough coins for what you want.

If we're going to kill us a dragon, we need a dragon-killing sword, no?

Also this. This is integral to my plans.

Now then, when the Egg Dragon has granted his 4th wish, he'll give you the opportunity to challenge him.

Not the "Go Back. Battle" option. The "with the Egg Dragon" option.

As will we.

No unique battle theme? That's a shame.

Also, that's the Fire Dragon. That is straight-up just the Fire Dragon again.

Well, except for the pumped-up attack and defense, the resistance to just about every element under the sun, and, oh yeah, its 65,535 HP! That is literally the absolute maximum value allowed for health, which opens up the Egg Dragon to an interesting strategy.

More on that later.

Over Easy seems to always be its opening attack, and it has the power to inflict a whole bunch of different effects. But in my case, it only inflicted confusion.

Naturally, equipping all kinds of gear to protect against any number of possible ailments is a very good idea, since the Egg Dragon can easily disable your whole team with this attack alone.

Most of the Egg Dragon's attacks are fire-elemental in nature, including this one.

Here's what it looks like when you don't have fire resistance. Yeah.

The Egg Dragon also slings around light-elemental magic, and is, in fact, one of the few enemies weak to shadow magic.

But good luck getting ROBIN to actually pull off an attack in this mess.

I'll be honest, as painful as this attack might be, I'd prefer it or Zap to having my guys one-shotted by Scrambled Egg.

So...strategy! The important thing is for Maxim and Guy to have the Lizard Blow, the Flying Axe, or the Dragon Blade. You need Dragon or Flying weapons to really do appreciable damage to this guy.

I'd also highly recommend the Bunny Sword, even if it's programmed to do absolutely horrible damage on its normal attacks. Why?

Because its IP takes off 1/4 of an enemy's health. And no, it's not capped at 9,999 damage. That one attack just did about 16,000 damage.

On the defensive side, I had both Selan and Artea casting Valor while Guy and Maxim attack. Scrambled Egg's existence and the Egg Dragon's massive speed means that you should always be assuming that either Selan or Artea could die at any time.

Remember also that Maxim can use Valor too and it doesn't care about his paltry intellect. Whenever the character with the Bunny Sword (whether Selan or Artea) gets their IP bar up, you could have Maxim switch in for them.

With Guy throwing down Dragon Rush IP's every chance he gets and Artea constantly chopping down the boss's health, this fight goes faster than you might think.

Ultimately, fighting the legit way comes down a lot to preparation and a little bit to luck. Alternatively...

You can throw a potion at him and hit him once.

You see, the Egg Dragon's health is at the very top, as I mentioned before. Therefore, any amount of healing will send his health up and over the cap, overflowing him back to 0 HP.

The only trick is keeping him from wasting your team before you can throw a potion on him.

That is VERY misleading. We only get one Egg Ring and it's a massive tragedy.

The Egg Sword has zero attack power, but its IP costs almost nothing and inflicts random status ailments on the entire enemy team, including instant death. It's a sword where you never stop IP'ing. IP on everything.

But if actually hitting enemies with your regular attack is more your speed, you can always pair the Egg Sword with...

Holy friggin' poo poo.

The Egg Ring would be hilarious on just about anybody, but maximizing Artea's intellect is going to make his Zap and Fry spells ludicrously powerful against the Sinistrals.

I mean, it doesn't have an IP attack, but who the heck cares? I mean...dang!

Next Time: We do the thing I said we'd do last time, only with four times the humiliation.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

And just to disprove something someone said in the thread, the Sunken Temple is NOT a part of Doom Island. You can travel all the way back and the only thing that's different is that Dual Blade isn't here anymore.

I disagree. You go through a teleporter, it is very possible that this teleporter still connects to the Shrine on Doom Island. There is also additional evidence that will appear in one of the next updates.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
E: oops, content of the post got wiped. Whoops.

Never did the Egg Dragon in this. Chasing all the eggs down the extra times felt... Ugh. Even with treasure radar.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 3, 2015

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Egg ring seems strong.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Blastinus posted:

Holy friggin' poo poo.
:stare:

Though after getting 32 dragon eggs, even in a normal game this much power isn't necessary.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Seiren posted:

:stare:

Though after getting 32 dragon eggs, even in a normal game this much power isn't necessary.

The first time through, I beat the egg dragon with something like level 65-69 on average, so yeah. That much power is absolute overkill, even for the optional boss. On my second playthrough I could have used the egg ring to beat him even faster at an earlier level, but the deluge of XP had me at 80+ already by then. :v:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
ARTEA SMASH

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blastinus posted:

Also, that's the Fire Dragon. That is straight-up just the Fire Dragon again.

Well, except for the pumped-up attack and defense, the resistance to just about every element under the sun, and, oh yeah, its 65,535 HP! That is literally the absolute maximum value allowed for health, which opens up the Egg Dragon to an interesting strategy.

More on that later.

Heal him into overflow, cherry tap him?

Holy moly that ring is kinda OP.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Omobono posted:

Heal him into overflow, cherry tap him?

Yeah, that's at the bottom of the fight in the update.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Another HP overflow bug? drat, guess FFMQ wasn't the only one. :v:

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Seiken Densetsu III also has an overflow bug on a boss, i believe.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

akkristor posted:

Seiken Densetsu III also has an overflow bug on a boss, i believe.

If I recall correctly it's on the overpowered secret boss, The Black Rabite.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That ring is going to make the fights with the sinistrals hilarious. I don't suppose you can humiliate them even further by sending everyone except Artea in naked?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I played through this game once as a child, and I remember my parents really getting into grinding that 99 level deep extra dungeon.

My only enduring memories about the game were the fact that the protagonist actually marries and has a child and how happy I was about Dekar showing back up near the end. I was so happy the funny guy made it out

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I never knew about the eggs. This is ludicrous.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Given some of the translations in this game I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm just baffled by
Go back. Battle
with the Egg Dragon!

So many other options:
Go back
Battle
Fight!
Battle Egg Dragon!
Fight Egg Dragon!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose that's a fitting reward for beating the secret boss. The most maximum of stats.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Chapter 36: Ascension of the Protagonist

Having beaten the Egg Dragon, there's only one thing left for us to do. It's time to start the chain of events leading to the end of the game.

Narvick is the last town of the game, and it gets the music for it.

: But the super beings on that island are different. They are evil! They only bring disaster. I don't understand why such super beings exist!

If it wasn't obvious, the Sinistrals were called Dark Gods in the original Japanese. You can guess then what "super being" is a censored translation of.

It's interesting to note that there were supposed to be good Sinistrals along with the evil ones, presumably to keep them in check. As for why they're a no-show, that may be explained later.

For now, the game's pointing us in the direction of the village elder. Maybe he's got the answer.

: My name's Maxim.

: Maxim...

: Yes...I sense a very strong energy flow.

: The one I have been sensing since the other day is indeed his.

: This person...he might be able to break the seal of the Sinistrals.

: I see. That's exactly what I thought.

: What are you talking about?

: They gave us armor, shields, and helmets. We put them in the three towers. One tower here on Shuman, one on Strahda northeast of here and one on Kamirno to the northwest. The super beings sealed the items. It's said only he worthy to wear them can break the seal. With that island parked above, I imagine Daos or his henchmen want those items.

: Does that mean those items have already been unsealed?

: No. Not yet.

: Daos is a super being. Not even Daos can break the seal?

: In order to unseal the items, you must have something.

: What is it?

: What!?

: These girls inherited the power to resonate certain energy waves.

: You mean those energy waves...

: Yes. They are the key to breaking the seal.

: ......

: Maxim, my name is Lisa. Please take me to the top of the tower. I am the first key.

: Bu...but...

: You are kind to be concerned for me, but please do not worry. I inherited this power to save the world...

: Would you go, Maxim?

: Yes. Yes, I will.

And Lisa joins our party, in a purely non-combat capacity. Bit late in the game for a new party member, after all.

One last shopping trip for the road.

Looking good there, Guy. It's only a testament to the Dragon Blade's attack power that Maxim is even close right now.

How do you lower a stat to 999? That doesn't even make sense.

Unless this is another case like the 9,999 damage numbers where Artea's actual stats are in the thousands and we just can't see it. That would be pretty cool.

Doesn't matter, really. Anything above 999 is way too much for what's ahead.

I love the cloud effect that's constantly passing across the camera. It really gives you that feeling that we're climbing to ridiculous heights.

No puzzles in these towers, just climbing through interiors and going up and down stairs.

Some of the enemies are even things we've seen before. It's not a problem since they're still a decent challenge to chew through, but that's by virtue of having a lot of HP more than anything.

Although that does remind me:

YBURN's had his time in the sun. It's time for Legna to bring it home.

The enemies are going to be primarily weak to light from here on out, so she'll have plenty of use.

The last treasures of the game are all super versions of the four elemental rings, and the corresponding third-tier spell is their IP, naturally.

With one very unusual exception.

I mean, it is still Ice Valk, but that's a serious translation snafu.

So Hardboiled. If it isn't insta-killing enemies, it's doing very respectable damage and inflicting a whole bunch of effects on top of it.

Say hello to paralysis, for instance. The big problem of pairing the Egg Sword with the ring is that it's very likely that Artea won't take damage at all, meaning that he won't raise his IP bar any.

The only thing approximating a puzzle in this dungeon is that sometimes the game will force you to kill an enemy to make stairs appear.

I mean, they were close this time. That is how you say Lich if you're Italian or something.

And here we are at the top. But when we try to approach the stone here:

: Ga...Gades!?

: Wh...why?

: Thanks to Erim's landing on the island, my energy has been totally restored.

: Erim? She's a Sinistral!?

: Mm hm. Amon, Erim, Daos, and yours truly. The time has come for us to rule the world!

: Don't be ridiculous! I won't let that happen!

I mean, really? Gades? That's more than half a game ago.

For this encounter, Gades has 10,000 HP. Just putting that out there.

His attacks are just about the same as when you first fought him. He doesn't even seem to want to use his Devastation move that much.

By this part of the game, that extra health really shouldn't matter any more. We've graduated far beyond the point when Gades would be a legitimate threat.

So basically, the only thing keeping us from encountering Gades every single dungeon was that Erim/Iris was on a giant truth-finding roadtrip.

: Looks like the real enemies are this Erim and Daos.

: On top of that, they're on Doom Island! Blast it!

: We can't even get close to Doom Island because of that turbulence.

: Are you sure!?

: Maxim, If you can break the seal of the Sinistrals, it might be possible.

: Does the turbulence have something to do with the seal?

: Just stand over there. The Divine Armor is inside there.

: The seal is breaking!

Or the Pearl Armor, according to the item menu.

: As long as I stay here, the ringing will continue. When all three slates in the three towers start to resonate...

: What'll happen then?

: The resonance will create an enormous power that could help us blow away the island's turbulence.

: But if you do that, you could...

: Please say no more. I cannot defeat Daos, but I want to help, if I can. Please go. Please go and defeat Daos.

: Thanks. I'll do just that.

And there is the pattern for the next two dungeons. Get a girl to the top, get a treasure, place a girl.

I may have commented on it a few times, but Maxim is kind of the weak link in the current party composition, his only saving grace being that he can cast certain spells that don't care how dumb you are. That's going to change with this armor set!

(Mostly because nobody else can equip it. :ssh:)

: No, you did not leave her. Lisa stayed there. She is also fighting. We cannot waste Lisa's feeling. Marie, come over here, please.

: Yes.

: The Island is northeast of here. Let's go!

Nothing to report in this tower. It doesn't even have treasures.

Although I should note that I've been grinding Black Dragons in the hopes of getting...

Success!

Form of...

Well, I suppose that's thematic. Sacrificing an immediate healing spell for raw power instead.

Check out that GUT score, by the way. This horsey won't be running for anything.

Golden flash. You know what that means?

Hey! I didn't even get a chance to banter!

Amon also has 10,000 HP, but has considerably more intelligence than Gades and focuses on magic.

As a result, you want to boost your Magic Resistance when dealing with him.

Amon's Chaos Wave is similar to Destructo-Wave, but because he's the Sinistral of chaos, he throws confusion on top of it.

Yeah, like I said, you want to be buffed up against that. At the normal level you'd be facing him, that damage wouldn't be inconsequential.

He also has his own physical attack similar to Devastation called Galactic Lancer, but he didn't pull it out in this fight.

As always, every CM attack takes the CM's element, so Legna really lays on the hurt in this fight. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like the Unicorn form is more likely to use specials as well.

So long as you keep undoing the confusion caused by Chaos Wave, this fight shouldn't be too much harder than Gades.

What? No closing comments either? Amon, you are the absolute worst.

: I don't think so. He's probably still alive.

: This battle will not end until we defeat Daos and Erim and destroy Doom Island.

: Please stand over there, Maxim.

Another piece of gear for the pile.

Easily an improved Legend Helm. The downside to all these neat effects is that Maxim only has one IP bar.

Anyways, that's two down. It's time for the hat trick.

: I know.

: Yes.

: The island is northwest of here. We should hurry.

There's always time for looting.

And hey! This guy looks new.

The Gorgon, like all minotaur types, is just very strong.

Not bad though.

I don't know if going up five or six flights of identical stairs is climactic or dull.

Regardless, the game provides a save point right before the top of the tower, and I'm going to get a little spoilerish when I say:

:siren: SAVE! SAVE NOW! THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE! :siren:

: I don't feel any energy either...

: But something's fishy.

: We can't just wonder about it all day long.

: You're right.

: Well, Maxim.

I'll just throw this in here, because...

: I was unable to reach the divine armaments because of the seal. But if I destroy you now, they will become mine, won't they?

: Sorry. It doesn't work that way!

: Those armaments are perfect for he who can handle Dual Blade. And that's me.

: Dual Blade...

: You are not chosen! You are not worthy of wearing them! Say your farewells!

: Don't worry Selan. He can't get me!

: You imbecile!!!! I shall tear you apart!!!

Energy wave battle! You knew this was going to happen at some point.

: It cannot be...

: There, Maxim. Hold the blade in your hand.

...Way to kill the moment, item limit.

Now I know what you're thinking, but no, you can't drop Dual Blade or any key item that goes into your inventory. The devs are smarter than that.

...Really?

: This can't be happening...

: Daos!!

: I don't accept this! I won't concede your power to hold Dual Blade!

Dude, if you wanted ultimate power, you should have taken a few spins on the slots.

: Yes. But Daos disappeared!

: This isn't good! He might run off to destroy another city!

: Don't worry about that. We won't let Doom Island go anywhere.

: Can you do that?

: I feel stronger power from the slate. With this, I think we can stop the motion of Doom Island. I also feel the auras of Lisa and Marie. They must be thinking the same thing.

: But will you be alright controlling such energy?

: There's no time to think. Doom Island has begun to move. Please step aside.

Energy waves are kind of like nanomachines. They do whatever the plot demands at the time.

: What aggravation! Then it's just a matter of time until they arrive.

: No. They will not be arriving right away.

: How so?

: I launched an attack on their ship. This aura prevented me from destroying the ship, but it will fly no more.

: You've thought of everything, as usual. But won't they repair the ship right away?

: I've taken care of that as well.

Amon!! :argh:

: I vaguely felt that Doom Island had attacked something. It may have been your ship.

: What!? Excerion!?

: It never occurred to me that they would attack our ship. I wasn't paying attention to the ship.

: Ok, you weren't paying attention to the ship. Please pay attention to what we should do now!

: I guess we have to go to Portravia and have Lexis fix the ship.

: Please go fast! We have trapped Doom Island at the center of the three towers.

: Alright. But if you feel any danger, any danger at all, please flee, ok!?

Maxim, you're not very good at picking up on subtle cues, are you? They've all but said that these girls aren't surviving this.

: Th...thank you. Please go now. I will try to control the power as long as my strength lasts. Maxim. Remember, you've been chosen by Dual Blade, the blade that can defeat the Sinistrals.

: I know. Selan, let's get to Portravia!

: Warp!

That's it for the three towers. If there's anything that you have left to do...

Well, you should have done it before climbing the last tower, you ninny! Getting Dual Blade is the Point of No Return. It's all plot from here.

Yes, I know that there's no warning for this, but that's why they just gave Maxim an entire set of endgame gear AND they put a save point right before you come up to the top of the tower. Even if Maxim has to carry the rest of the team on his back, that stuff is enough to give you all you need to beat the game.

Of course with our team the way it is, it's just overkill.

Next Time: We reunite with old friends as we prepare for the final battle. Tearful farewells, heroic speeches. All that jazz.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 10, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Blastinus posted:

Now I know what you're thinking, but no, you can't drop Dual Blade or any key item that goes into your inventory. The devs are smarter than that.

...Really?

This is great. For a game that put so much care in making the mechanics match the story, this seems like an odd choice/slip up.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Man, I love this game. Despite its flaws, I think it hits more highs than lows. The tower song and one that we'll be hearing here shortly are some of my favorite BGM's in all of gaming.

That said, I really wish they could've made Maxim's stats reflect his story-informed badassitude. :smith:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember back in the day when I was on GameFAQs, there was something I read that said the developers accidentally switched up the Gades battles in the final game. The first one you fight was actually supposed to be the final one, which explains why this one is rather...bad.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dual Blade does have the absolute best ip in the game... just you have such a limited chance to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I dont know posted:

This is great. For a game that put so much care in making the mechanics match the story, this seems like an odd choice/slip up.

I'm not sure about that; a full heal plus status boosts is pretty amazing. Just think how terrifying it would be if one of the sinistrals had that ability.

• Locked thread