Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Lufia 2 is a game close to my heart, since it was one of the first RPG's that I ever played, right after Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. Released on the SNES by Taito to universally positive reviews and localized in the US by Natsume, the game stands as one of the best JRPG's of its generation, featuring a mix of puzzling and RPG gameplay with a unique way to handle equipment, a surprisingly more in-depth story than its peers, and a rockin' soundtrack. Plus it has gambling minigames and an optional roguelike dungeon crawler. Cool stuff.

The game is actually a prequel, set 90-odd years before the events of Lufia 1. Matter of fact, the end dungeon of this game is the very first dungeon of Lufia 1, so if you've played that game before, then you already know exactly how this game is going to end. Well, almost. There are still a few elements that this game introduces.

This LP will be a completionist playthrough, going for all the optional content and showing off the optional game modes. I will be summarizing NPC chatter a lot, mind you, but that'll be the extent of it.

:siren: Spoiler Policy :siren:

Nothing really heavy. Just tag anything we haven't seen yet, even if Lufia 1 gives it away. I'm guessing a lot of people didn't play the first game, so that's not really common knowledge.

Table of Contents:

Chapter 1: Let's All Get Acquainted (right below)
Chapter 2: Destiny is that Game About Dancing, Right?
Chapter 3: I.P. Freely
Chapter 4: Our Deadliest Foe Yet
Chapter 5: Do These Dungeon Items Remind you of Anything?
Chapter 6: Make My Monster Grow!
Chapter 7: Enter the Amazing Guy!
Chapter 8: Friggin' Spiders
Chapter 9: Maxim the Errand Boy
Chapter 10: Come Aboard the Love Shrine
Chapter 11: Gades, Sinistral of Cheating
Chapter 12: Romance and Carpentry
Chapter 13: Hi Dekar
Chapter 14: Why Aren't You in Our Party Yet?
Chapter 15: The Bash Brothers
Chapter 16: The End?
Chapter 17: This Dungeon Gave Me Cancer
Chapter 18: Some Joke With Boats and Lions
Chapter 19: Thy Dungeonmen
Chapter 20: I Think We Broke It
Chapter 21: Just Die Already!
Chapter 22: A Budding Entrepreneur
Chapter 23: The Raddest Radish
Chapter 24: A Political Thriller, This Ain't
Chapter 25: I Hate You, Taito
Chapter 26: Everyone's a Winner!
Chapter 27: It's Been a While
Chapter 28: The Mountain of Occasional Return
Chapter 29: How Do I Shoot Hook
Chapter 30: Revengeance
Chapter 31: Mirror Mirror, Who Is the Father?
Chapter 32: The World's Most Difficult Trick
Chapter 33: Suddenly, The Endgame
Chapter 34: The Saga of Magical Selan
Chapter 35: Gotta Hatch 'Em All
Chapter 36: Ascension of the Protagonist
Chapter 37: Heroes Don't Need Plans
Chapter 38: Maxim Dies at the End
Chapter 39: I Don't Hate This Game

:siren: BONUS CONTENT: Let's Play Lufia 2 for the DS, by SC Bracer :siren:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Smalltown Romance and Fish
Chapter 3: Fuckin' Box Puzzles
Chapter 4: To Parcelyte!
Chapter 5: What's Yours is Mine (Part 1, Part 2)
Chapter 6: Hideous Statues and a Guy With a Hammer

:siren: Fanart :siren:

by Shaezerus

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Reserved for whatever.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Chapter 1: Let's All Get Acquainted

Yes, this game was made by the guys behind Space Invaders.

Lufia 2 features a lengthy intro, about ten minutes long. You can skip it at any time, but you can't speed it up. Lovely.

Truth be told, outside of this LP, I've never actually seen it all the way. I usually just mash right through to the main menu.

After this extended shot of a blue ball of light flying to the castle, we see a green and gold ball do the same.

Each of these fly-bys has a few seconds of pause in between, just enough to make you wonder why the screen hasn't faded out yet.

And after the first three have gone for a while, another one flies in.

There's a reason why this intro is ten minutes long.

Nice dragon-statues-in-an-empty-void aesthetic.

Meet Arek. Don't get too used to him, since we won't be seeing him past this intro.

: Yes, sir.

: Who should rule, we Sinistrals, or humans?

Ah, the over-the-top emoting, one of the joys of SNES RPG's.

: ...

: But why do you ask that, sir?

: Are you saying the Dual Blade is resonating!?

: Would you...go?

: Yes, sir.

One not-so-joyful aspect of SNES RPG's is the clumsy dialogue. It's got its charms though.

I hope you don't mind me sparing you the fly-over of all the areas we'll be seeing over the course of the game.

Eventually, we come to a particular island chain where, well...

Something tells me that these islands will be important somehow.

Okay, so that intro seemed a little confusing, but we've got enough of a plot hook to proceed.

But before we do so, it's time to establish all of our protagonists. And I mean all of them.

: Yeah.

: Are you going away again?

: Well, that's my job.

: I'll be alright.

: You always say that. But I always worry.

: I'll get them but you have to buy them, Tia.

: I will.

: Well, see ya.

You can probably tell from his resemblance to Box Art Man, but this red-haired individual is our main character.

: Hilda! What's up?

: Jessy was looking for you.

: Really!?

: She was upset. Did you do something?

: Nope!

: Yeah?

: Typical! No wonder Jessy's angry!

: Women don't get it! It's a man thing!

: I get it alright. You prefer MONSTERS!

Ouch.

: Crybaby!

No, she is not a future party member.

She is.

: Oh no!! It's Selan!

: Run!!

: Listen carefully, Lemmy. They're wrong, but try to be strong.

: Why? My father said it's ok for girls to cry.

: Listen. A woman's tears should...

I'm sure we'll hear the other half of that saying later, but first...

: Monsters are all over the North Labyrinth!

Well, it was nice knowing that guy.

: Excellent! Josef, follow me!

: Yes, Your Highness!

Poor guy. He's probably gone through this a lot.

Our next party member is...a nerd staring at boats.

: I get it! So that's how it works!

: His inventions never work the way they should.

: Yeah. He sank a ship with his last one.

: ......

: What was that invention anyway?

: A machine to move ships without wind.

: Oh, that's right. Hey, your memory's pretty good!

Wah wah.

This next segment isn't going to make a lick of sense until we get to the character in question.

: Artea...

: Milka, where have you been these days?

: The worst thing you can do is lie to yourself.

: But Artea, the people in the city...

: Mother.

: Artea is aware of everything.

: Artea, it must be really hard on you, too.

Honestly, while this seems more natural than exposition speak, it's not very easy on the reader.

: Which of us is really transient on earth? Dual Blade, do you have the real answer?

And that's the end of the intro. We stare at the macguffin of the game and then it repeats itself.

If you decided to skip all that nonsense or you just hit the A button by accident, here's the actual main menu. You've got the saves on the bottom and the option to start a new game using three different game modes.

START: A new game. Duh. Beating the game on START unlocks...
RETRY: A new game, but gold and experience gained is multiplied by four. Beating that unlocks...
GIFT: Something new and magical. I'll do a brief explanation of that when we get there.

I'll be playing through the game on RETRY, mostly to cut down on the grinding. There are a few encounters as well where you'll be happy to be overleveled.

No debate on this, I'm sticking with Maxim as our main character's name. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of opportunities for dumb names when we get to a certain feature of the game.

We open the game proper on our hero returning from that hunting trip he mentioned during the intro.

: Alright. I got six jellies.

: Let's see...that'll be 120 gold pieces, right?

: Wait a minute Tia. I said six jellies. That comes to 180 gold pieces!

: Look, monsters are cheap these days. The city's suffering so I can't pay the top price.

: Yeah, it's true. More monsters every day.

: It's spooky, you know.

: Well, I should appreciate it though. I'm a monster hunter. I'd lose my job without them.

Maxim draws heavily from the JRPG Protagonist Operating Manual. Just be grateful that he isn't an amnesiac with a dark past.

: What is an ordinary job anyway?

: Let's see...

: Me? Shop owner? Ha! That'll be the day!

: Did you say something, Tia?

: Forget it!! Here's your money!

Smooth.

But with that brief introduction to Maxim and Tia's characters out of the way, we have control of our protagonist.

Naturally, the first thing we do is we open the menus and see what we've got.

Notice the 120 gold at the bottom right. The game's good at merging mechanics with story, and vice versa.

Despite being the main character, Maxim is actually the middle-of-the-road party member of the game. He's one of the faster characters, but he isn't as good a spellcaster as some or as heavy a hitter. He can use swords and daggers and wear the lighter armor items, but certain options won't be available to him.

Just a brief primer on stats: strength affects both attack power (ATP) and defensive power (DFP), agility only determines turn order, intelligence affects spell power, GUT is for something we'll see later, and magic resistance is self-explanatory.

Anyway, seeing as the person paying us for work is also the only supplier of gear in town, let's see what Tia's got for us.

Generally, but not always, items, weapons, and armor will be sold in the same store. It's convenient that way.

Notice that item called Warp, by the way?

Yup. Fast travel, right from the start of the game. Be even nicer when we can actually afford it. Speaking of which...

Yeah. The stuff that's better than what we've got on right now is a little steep for us at the moment. We'll come back later.

Note that Maxim's down on one knee. That means that he can't equip this weapon, because a monster hunter sallying forth with a frying pan would just look silly.

So now that we're paid, it's time to...you know, I don't think we have a plot hook yet. Let's try talking to people.

That doesn't sound like a quest.

Good context, but still nothing. Maybe we should try leaving?

: I'll wait for you at the dungeon south of here.

Well, a forced tutorial is kind of like questing.

Welcome to the world map. Not much to it at the moment. The game's got a system in place to prevent people from stepping off the rails before they're ready, but we'll see that in a moment.

Meantime, let's go to that southern cave.

For this segment, I'll be just explaining things myself. No need to have everything explained twice, after all.

First order of business is movement. Monsters appear as random encounters on the world map, but in dungeons, they're visible and move whenever you move.

Different monster types have different patterns. For instance, the jelly type will wander in a random direction every few steps that you take.

Next is combat, naturally. If you come into contact with an enemy, you'll get into a fight. If you approach an enemy from the side or behind, you can get a First Strike on it, and if an enemy does the same to you, the same applies.

Love that battle theme, by the way. One of my favorites.

First menu, you either have the option to fight (middle), run (bottom), or switch around the position of party members (top). Let's fight this time, because red jellies are pathetic.

This brings up the next menu, where you can choose to do a regular attack (middle), cast a spell (top), use an item (left), defend (right), or...

Something involving weapons and armor that will be explained later.

Even if we did have magic, we really don't need it right now. One hit will deal with these guys.

Slim pickings though. Bear in mind that we're rolling with 4x experience and gold.

Moving right along, the next room teaches us about the Skill Ring. We only have one thus far, so let's take a look at it.

Yes, Arrow is considered a skill, though producing infinite arrows is quite the trick.

Not much to it really. Arrow paralyzes a shot enemy, freezing him in place for several steps and preventing him from triggering a fight when you come in contact.

I still fight it, because, you know, red jellies. There were two of them in that encounter, which only meant that the fight took two turns instead of one.

Arrow can also trigger levers from a distance if you strike them from the correct side. Handy.

Next challenge: pushing pillars. That floor button will open the door, but won't stay down if you step off, so it has to be weighed down with something else.

The old man also gives us the Reset spell at this point, because while you can shove pillars, you can't pull them, so if you get it stuck against a wall, you're pretty well stuck.

That's where Reset comes in.

Good as new. Monsters in a room will also reappear when you Reset it, so grinding in a dungeon is super easy, if you're into that sort of thing.

Next room, we meet ledges. You can leap off any ledge that has arrows pointing off of it. Simple enough.

This solution doesn't come up as often as you'd think, but it's there every now and then.

Lizard-type enemies tend to run away from you, and they're not that interesting. Although they do have a unique drop that I'll try to show off, because it's pretty handy early on in the game.

Swinging your sword also counts as a move, so if you want enemies to come to you, you can always stand in place, swatting at thin air.

No points for guessing where the button was. This darker-colored button will stay down when you step on it, so no puzzling involved with it.

If you can't find a pillar to shove, odds are that there's an object you can pick up and drop instead.

This room also teaches you how to swivel in place using the R button. This will be VERY useful, since turning your character around does not constitute a move on your part.

Anyway, placing a pot here opens a section of wall for us to advance.

And placing this second pot on the other slab opens the door to the end.

That's all you need to know about Lufia 2 dungeoneering. There'll be lots of other gimmicks, of course, but we'll hit those when we encounter them.

Also, we've already gotten to the point where the starting enemies can't even faze us. While most RPG's would give them a token single point of damage, Lufia 2 just no-sells their attack entirely. I think I like that more.

It's a good idea to talk to NPC's periodically in this game. They'll generally steer you in the right direction.

: Love to.

: I made something special, Maxim! Wait a minute, ok!?

The things you can pull off with a limited set of sprites.

While this song is called Ending Motif, it's really just the emotional theme of the game. It pops up during a lot of sentimental moments like this.

: Ta-daaaa! It's fish pot pie made of 'navaroa', the phantom fish!

: Hmm, so this is navaroa, huh!? I've heard of it before but never seen it.

: I know! I've never seen it either. What's it taste like, I wonder? Let's dig in.

: Well, let's see.

: We...well...aaah...what shall I say? Hmm...I mean...um...Tia, why don't you try some?

: I will. Here goes.

: And?

: This...is pretty bad, that's what this is!

: You think so too? It's not your cooking, it's the fish, don't you think?

: Why is this called the phantom fish, then?

: Because it tastes so bad that nobody eats it. Something like that.

I don't think we ever learn the real reason why it's called the Phantom Fish.

: Oh, I'm so disappointed. I wanted to cook something really tasty for you.

: Well, I guess you could eat it that way.

: See? It's already tasting better.

: Yeah, you're right. How odd. Maybe that's why it's called the phantom fish.

Yeah, this is probably something lost in translation.

: Well, it at least brought us a cheerful evening. Ha, ha, ha!

: I guess so. Well, I'm stuffed. Let me get some tea.

: Thanks.

: Say, Maxim?

: Yeah?

: Why...are you always in battle?

: Why do you ask such a thing all of a sudden?

: You're the only one fighting monsters. Not many people fight to live. Why you?

: I've been fighting ever since I can remember. I've never asked myself why.

Matter of fact, one of the NPC's in town will mention that Maxim seems to just naturally be good at fighting.

: I've never met anyone quite like you before...

: ...Well, thanks for dinner. I'll make it up to you sometime.

: Don't worry about it. It's no fun to eat alone anyway. Join me again sometime, ok?

: I'd love to! Eating is something I do very well, you see. Well, bye!

Well, that was a fun little scene. Of course, now that grody fish shenanigans have been resolved, we're a little light on places to go.

Fortunately, a semblance of a plot rears its head the instant we try to leave.

: A horde of monsters appeared in the cave on the way to Sundletan!

: Are you sure about that?

: That's horrible.

: Daisy, will monsters come to this city, too?

: Well, I don't think they will, but...

: Unfortunately, that's not the only problem we've got on our hands.

: What do you mean?

: That's not good...

: So, does anyone have any ideas about what we should do?

: Well...No, I don't...

Well, to be exact, they have one idea.

When you're the only monster hunter for miles around, you tend to be the go-to guy for these kinds of situations.

But you know what, we just beat up some slimes and ate a weird fish, so I think we need a break.

See you guys tomorrow.

Next Time: Our first real dungeon and we learn the overarching plotline. Good times.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My tablet alerted me that there was a new LP. I checked to see what it was, and when I saw it was this, my reaction was, "Oh hell no! HELL YEAH!".

I love this game!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Never actually played it myself, so I'm looking forward to this.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, Lufia 2. A game with an awesome soundtrack and a lot more puzzle elements than most RPGs at the time of its release.

Blastinus posted:

an optional roguelike dungeon crawler

...I may have never actually finished the main game myself on account of enjoying this thing too much. I have seen what happens though, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it all again. (Maybe I'll dust off my save file...)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I never did get around to playing any of the Lufia games. Following with interest!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Just a quick question: you're using the European ROM, right? I ask, because somehow the US localization team screwed up and lost some data; it's not going to be obvious until later (a very important location we'll see in due time is missing some of its map data).

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Aerdan posted:

Just a quick question: you're using the European ROM, right? I ask, because somehow the US localization team screwed up and lost some data; it's not going to be obvious until later (a very important location we'll see in due time is missing some of its map data).

I believe so. I've done a runthrough of the game before and don't recall seeing any problems. Still, my memory could be faulty, and if so, we are in for a bit of a laugh.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I am so on board with this LP. I've only played Lufia 2 twice and it's the only game in the series I've played but it's one of the hidden gems of the SNES era and deserves way more respect than it gets.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The US Game is way hosed up with glitches and garbled maps in areas. Great game though.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
I rank Lufia 2 as highly as anything Square put on the SNES. I didn't really care much for Lufia 1, and didn't play 2 until much later. Big mistake on my part.

I did not know that Retry boosted gold and experience. I'll have to try that on my next playthrough.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The original Lufia is an astonishingly middle of the road early 90's JRPG. It's not bad, exactly, but there's a reason why no one remembers it.

And yet I have more nostalgia for the inferior original. Go figure.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

The original Lufia is an astonishingly middle of the road early 90's JRPG. It's not bad, exactly, but there's a reason why no one remembers it.

Despite thinking the same about Lufia, and having Lufia 2 as one of my favorite JRPGs, I have beaten the former twice and this one not at all. It's weird.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The game tends to get overlooked because it's attached to a franchise that is like the Platonic ideal of mediocre. But having said that, this one is very, very good. Easily one of the best JRPGs of the 16-bit era. Try to avoid spoilers if you're not familiar with the game (the one in the title doesn't count). There are a lot of nice touches that elevate the plot.

Also:

Aerdan posted:

I loving knew it! For years my friend tried to convince me that the factory sealed copy I bought brand new from FuncoLand was somehow a bootleg that triggered Nintendo's copy protection, because "his copy worked fine." Thank you for exposing him as the dirty ROM using bastard that he is. No offense intended towards the OP. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This had a Euro release?! How in the hell did I miss that? Was it a limited release or something? Because I don't recall ever seeing any reviews or mentions of it in the UK press at the time, and as a European RPG-starved SNES owner, I would've been all over it like blood on a crime scene.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This had a Euro release?! How in the hell did I miss that? Was it a limited release or something? Because I don't recall ever seeing any reviews or mentions of it in the UK press at the time, and as a European RPG-starved SNES owner, I would've been all over it like blood on a crime scene.

It was released in Europe as just 'Lufia', no number attached. That's probably why.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The music in this game is really boss, and I like the nonstandard mechanics tweaks - the Zelda-ish puzzling and the thing you can do with the flame at the bottom of your action menu.

It's just a solidly executed game, and I get how that could mean you had to ingrain less arcane plot bullshit into your mind to beat it so you remember it less.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Aw, I was kinda hoping this would be an LP of the DS remake, but I'll settle for this. Great, great game. And no matter how many times I beat it, I still have to think my way through the puzzles. Every other RPG I've played more than once I can do the puzzles with my eyes closed. Not this one. Hell, there's one that still makes me panic because for years I thought it was time based instead of step based and it's that ingrained in my head.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Aw, I was kinda hoping this would be an LP of the DS remake, but I'll settle for this. Great, great game. And no matter how many times I beat it, I still have to think my way through the puzzles. Every other RPG I've played more than once I can do the puzzles with my eyes closed. Not this one. Hell, there's one that still makes me panic because for years I thought it was time based instead of step based and it's that ingrained in my head.

Fire arrows and bushes? That was my first time where I cracked down and used GameFAQs. That loving puzzle...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Blastinus posted:

Love that battle theme, by the way. One of my favorites.

Yeah, if you hadn't linked it, I would have. It can maybe get a bit repetitive because of how short it is, but it's pretty rocking.

And I, like many others, look forward to seeing what that one area is supposed to look like when it's not ROM CHECK FAILing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

This is very wrong! It's one of my favorite ye olde (SNES) era rpg stories + solid puzzles.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This was the first rpg I ever played, yes I bought it from Funcoland... I still beat it, then I beat it again, then I beat that rear end in a top hat CLEAN the first time on a non reset save... and then I spent so long grinding the roguelike dungeon mode because I could. :allears: BOOKMARKED.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would actually recommend turning around, getting the US version, and using the Frue Lufia patch. It fixes a bunch of bugs and dialogue errors.

If feeling sadistic you could try Kureiji Lufia instead, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Here's a link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xforts4n81olcxs/Lufia-Patches_v2-11.zip

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Blastinus posted:

Plus it has gambling minigames and an optional roguelike dungeon crawler. Cool stuff.
Can't wait to see how much time you spend in that. It's definitely one of the greatest optional things made for any game.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
I am sick. I wake up in the middle of the night coughing and wheezing, feeling absolutely miserable. Then I come on LP, hoping to compound that misery, and instead find Blastinus LPing Lufia 2.

It's a Christmas miracle, everyone! :allears:

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Echoing everyone else saying that this game's great. It's right up there with FF6 and Chrono Trigger, even if some of the puzzles were beyond 9 year old me. The art style might be a bit plain and the plot full of cliches, but everything else makes up for it. This is the first game I remember that puts you in an 'unwinnable' fight and actually rewards you if you find a way to win, even if there are no plot consequences.

What amazes me most, though, is how big of an improvement it was over its predecessor. I just fired up Lufia 1 out of curiosity, and man what a slog! Random encounters every 5 steps on average, targeting "groups" rather than single enemies which makes each fight chew up more of your resources, and even ugly menus to navigate through when you need to heal up afterwards.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Aw, I was kinda hoping this would be an LP of the DS remake, but I'll settle for this.

Haha, about that... I was talking to Blast about said remake, and I'll be covering it in the thread as well. It's pretty drat different so the amount of detail I'll be going into will vary based on how much it changes, but looking at how it's going, I'm in for the long haul. Gonna wait for Blast to get a few updates in probably so that I don't spoil anything accidentally.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RelentlessImp posted:

Fire arrows and bushes? That was my first time where I cracked down and used GameFAQs. That loving puzzle...

Oh yeah. And the one right afterwards...well, right after the mini-puzzle right after.

SC Bracer posted:

Haha, about that... I was talking to Blast about said remake, and I'll be covering it in the thread as well. It's pretty drat different so the amount of detail I'll be going into will vary based on how much it changes, but looking at how it's going, I'm in for the long haul. Gonna wait for Blast to get a few updates in probably so that I don't spoil anything accidentally.

Sweet! That'll give me the incentive to play along. I stopped recently. Thanks!

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Good game, good thread. It's been a while since I played it myself, but the one major flaw Lufia 2 has in my opinion is that while the story itself is pretty good, the presentation doesn't match up. I like the art style in general, but sometimes it just gets in the way and I assume some things got lost in translation as well. I look forward to some later parts to see if my memory holds up.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

SC Bracer posted:

I'm really looking forward to that, since I haven't played a second of Lufia DS. It'll be interesting to see how the game's changed.

A note on my update schedule, by the way: some people have mentioned in the past that the speed at which I do updates is really hard to keep up with, so I'm dialing it back to once every two or three days. Next update should be on Monday. I hope that's fine for everyone.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Regarding the 'navaroa': that scene has been transcribed, for anyone who knows Japanese and wants to provide some elucidation. There's also this translation, which suggests that it's probably some throwaway setting fluff.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Lufia II was a fun RPG with great music. Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

Also, the DS version can go dive off of a bridge.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 28, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Although I live in the US, I guess I somehow got a EU version of the cart, because I never had any error with the game. I had to look it up to see what the issue was, and it never once happened to me. And I played this game a lot.

Variant_Eris posted:

Also, the DS version can go dive off of a bridge.

The DS version sure is something.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always have a special place in my heart for the Lufia series. I had played a lot of Breath of Fire before going to Lufia, and compared to that, the focus on characters in Lufia 1 was amazing. Of course that was before Final Fantasy 3/6 and Chrono Trigger got released and blew it out of the water entirely.

I didn't know about the DS version, though. What's so bad about it?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Gothsheep posted:

I didn't know about the DS version, though. What's so bad about it?

I wouldn't call it "bad" so much as drastically changed, which didn't go over very well. It was fine for me because I had no idea what a Lufia was before I played it (I'm from a place where videogames really weren't a thing in the 90s, or even the 00s). Not so much for someone with a lot of nostalgia for the original game.

e: still not fantastic, mind, but it's not terrible or anything

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 28, 2014

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
hmmm....off the top of my head:

Different Genres
changed story (sometimes for the better, mostly not)
clunky design
Questionable art decisions.

Probably more....just can't think of em.

More than any though, the top one was probably the worst offender.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 29, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

You know Hollywood gets bored, and they take a classic TV show or movie, and make a new movie out of it? That's pretty much what happened with the DS version.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I hate Tia, she is one of the worst characters ever. (Mid-game spoilers) That part when she gets kicked to the curb for good is one of my all time favorite video game moments.

Aside from that I love everything in this game. It felt like this weird but appropriate fusion of Final Fantasy and Zelda that really hasn't been replicated since. Makes me wonder if there was something different about the development of this game given how painfully mediocre the rest of the series is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
I enjoyed Lufia when I first played it back when it was new. I liked the concept of the story(not exactly unique but whatever) and the ending was touching and memorable.

The gameplay was serviceable but definitely not the kind of stuff you'd want to go back to nowadays. Lufia 2 is a vast improvement in just about every single area except story, that's for sure.

Never played any of the games after 2 except the DS remake, which kind of annoyed me how they decided to change some characters into generic anime stereotypes for no reason. Never finished it.

• Locked thread