Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I really liked the way Casey kind of yanked away the crutch of having him up in the wheelhouse with Josh. Good learning moment.

Few observations:

-Why is Scotty on the Cornelia Marie?
-Is it just me, or has there been not a lot of Time Bandit this season? And speaking of which, where was Captain Andy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ross Angeles posted:

I really liked the way Casey kind of yanked away the crutch of having him up in the wheelhouse with Josh. Good learning moment.

Few observations:

-Is it just me, or has there been not a lot of Time Bandit this season? And speaking of which, where was Captain Andy?

Scotty had a bit of drama with Captain Andy because he tried to make moves toward being a captain and getting some of his quota (by asking him directly) and Andy did not appreciate it. Scott's dad made it seem like he is there to help Josh more than anything, downplaying that drama though, so it is hard to see through the edited narrative and know what the truth is.

Captain Andy typically fishes Opies, though in recent years, he has been on board for King too. He probably had something else to do this year, as with previous years.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ross Angeles posted:

He was fired from the Time Bandit because he was asking about getting some quota or something for fishing out of turn. He explained it in some episode this season that I forget. Josh and Scotty are friends, so he picked him up.

edit: beaten. :eng99:

quote:

Andy was sitting out King Crab season for health reasons, I think. Can't remember. Something was precluding him from being on the boat. I think it was mentioned sometime around the opening bits with the TB.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

kefkafloyd posted:

Andy was sitting out King Crab season for health reasons, I think. Can't remember. Something was precluding him from being on the boat. I think it was mentioned sometime around the opening bits with the TB.

They had a vignette of him saying he had a screwed up back and needed to sit this one out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I find it hilarious that Freddy got fired for the sake of getting drunk in a hotel room. Shitbag.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I find it hilarious that Freddy got fired for the sake of getting drunk in a hotel room. Shitbag.

Freddy is ready when Freddy is ready.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

They had a vignette of him saying he had a screwed up back and needed to sit this one out.

Aren't both of you guys talking about Edgar Hanson? Or am I forgetting a second back-injured brother?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

Aren't both of you guys talking about Edgar Hanson? Or am I forgetting a second back-injured brother?

I mean, Jonathan also had to sit out like one or two crab fishing seasons because of back problems himself. It seems to be common amongst the older members of the fleet.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

All those Pelican cases that were in the room Freddie was drinking in made me think that he was hanging around with TV crew people, since those are the cases they pack the equipment in. Which would have been an interesting bit of info to share, and just as interesting to omit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe the captain said "he's in the Pelican room" as he set off for the hotel. Which would line up with that theory.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, Jonathan also had to sit out like one or two crab fishing seasons because of back problems himself. It seems to be common amongst the older members of the fleet.

I imagine working that deck does a number on your back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The boats have actively suspended chairs to keep the waves from beating the poo poo out of you. Even then they can't exactly isolate the person sitting on it completely, so you still get beat up, just not as badly as if you had an un-suspended chair.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jake's not going to get to see his baby born and that will be the straw which makes him completely lose his poo poo, right?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jake's not going to get to see his baby born and that will be the straw which makes him completely lose his poo poo, right?

Seemed to be manufactured drama to me. Doesn't mater how much of a career boost it might be you don't loving leave your wife in the middle of labor or even a week after the baby is born.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
That coke head on the Time Bandit is loving insufferable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Geekslinger posted:

Seemed to be manufactured drama to me. Doesn't mater how much of a career boost it might be you don't loving leave your wife in the middle of labor or even a week after the baby is born.

Pro athletes, soldiers, ER doctors, etc have to do that poo poo all the time. Jobs a job. Not saying it's not manufactured in this case, but a lot of people can't leave their job, or maybe even can't afford to miss work to be there.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's a shocker, unchecked dangerous idiocy on the Time Bandit leads to a serious hand injury. Again.

They are really bad at captaining.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There's a shocker, unchecked dangerous idiocy on the Time Bandit leads to a serious hand injury. Again.

They are really bad at captaining.

Even worse that was their loving nephew getting slapped around unless i'm mistaken..that guy looks like a complete and total tool.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Photex posted:

Even worse that was their loving nephew getting slapped around unless i'm mistaken..that guy looks like a complete and total tool.

Jon's nephew, but the engineer's son. The fact that he rationalized that lovely behavior with "well we need him more than we need my nephew" and saying that he should just "shut up and take it" is pretty eye opening. You're gonna let some coked up dude slap family around because you think he's a hard worker? That kid almost lost his hand because instead of someone teaching him what not to do, they have a grown man playing with a cookie monster doll on deck making threats.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't care how tough and rough your job is meant to be, it's insane that the management were fine with someone striking a co-worker in the face, on a dangerous shop floor no less. The Health & Safety Exectuive wouldn't just shut that boat down, they would burn it to the ground and fire the captains into the sun.

What's even more infuriating is that the poor bastard who got his had buggered also seemed to be by far the most rational member of any crew to appear on the programme. Did his job, gave a poo poo about safety, didn't cower to bullying, and kept his head when he was assaulted. I hope he comes back. And I also hope that he doesn't.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 11, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't care how tough and rough your job is meant to be, it's insane that the management were fine with someone striking a co-worker in the face, on a dangerous shop floor no less. The Health & Safety Exectuive wouldn't just shut that boat down, they would burn it to the ground and fire the captains into the sun.

What's even more infuriating is that the poor bastard who got his had buggered also seemed to be by far the most rational member of any crew to appear on the programme. Did his job, gave a poo poo about safety, didn't cower to bullying, and kept his head when he was assaulted. I hope he comes back. And I also hope that he doesn't.

He's family with the boat owners so he definitely has a job waiting for him whenever he wants it, but if I were him I would def let his uncles know how douchey of a move that was. His father was too quiet about it too, imo.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pro athletes, soldiers, ER doctors, etc have to do that poo poo all the time. Jobs a job. Not saying it's not manufactured in this case, but a lot of people can't leave their job, or maybe even can't afford to miss work to be there.

Oh I get that sometimes jobs and careers come first. What I meant is up until the Elliot call it was implied he was taking the season off to be with his wife and newborn. So it seems completely manufactured for the sake of drama, even going as far as zooming in on his phone to show Elliot calling while they had his wife pushing like he needed to leave right then and there. Kind of like the Jonathan Keith fight on the season opener a few years ago over sniping deck hands.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

He's family with the boat owners so he definitely has a job waiting for him whenever he wants it, but if I were him I would def let his uncles know how douchey of a move that was. His father was too quiet about it too, imo.

I hate to say it, and it's not in my nature either, but the kid should have taken a swing at douchelord deckhand. That just seems to be the way that job works.

Also yeah all the Jake/Elliot stuff was the most fake of faked everything that ever faked.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

I hate to say it, and it's not in my nature either, but the kid should have taken a swing at douchelord deckhand. That just seems to be the way that job works.

Also yeah all the Jake/Elliot stuff was the most fake of faked everything that ever faked.

Most Elliot stuff seems overly dramatic. Including his whole thing with him trying to dodge being served his papers. I just freaking wish he would leave the goddamned show.

And of course the rehab place he ends up at (and name drops for no reason, really Discovery?) is the same rehab place that plays ads constantly on cable networks. Probably a complete coincidence and not a stealth ad at all.

As for the kid taking a swing? I dunno. That dude looked so unstable and possibly not sober that there was a good chance he might not have accomplished much besides making the situation even worse for him. Was Colonel Cokefiend even the deck boss? I didn't pay attention to that part.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Good thing John got that nutcase off the boat. He even recognized that letting what he was doing to Phillip slide was a bad idea.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Who ever greenlighted those shark week commercials needs to be shot. I can't wait till shark week to be over fast enough.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Good thing John got that nutcase off the boat. He even recognized that letting what he was doing to Phillip slide was a bad idea.

It basically took John himself being threatened with fines to get him to turn the boat around. But I am glad that douche is gone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

It basically took John himself being threatened with fines to get him to turn the boat around. But I am glad that douche is gone.

Odds he comes back next season in some way for some fake drama?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

I'll give an estimation when this season is over. Gotta see if they really are going to jump the shark this season or not. So far, I'd say 50/50.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure he will be on Elliott's boat next year. And no one will have any clue how Elliott got another boat.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

IRQ posted:

He's going to rear his ugly head again on the Wizard or one of the other lovely boats on the show.

Probably as Freddy's replacement.

E- Does Discovery do these little look in things with any other of their shows? It's a pain in the rear end to see the show come back on on DVR only to have it be a 30 second snippet before more commercials.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 21, 2015

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's going to rear his ugly head again on the Wizard or one of the other lovely boats on the show.

E- Does Discovery do these little look in things with any other of their shows? It's a pain in the rear end to see the show come back on on DVR only to have it be a 30 second snippet before more commercials.

I would kinda like to see him on the wizard. Those guys are pretty big dicks as well.

I've also seen those snippets with Mythbusters. They annoy the poo poo out of me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've seen newer shows on Velocity do the same thing, so it is definitely a network (Discovery Networks) thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The YouTube videos of kayakers and spear fishers getting up close and personal with sharks, complete with muffled underwater screaming, is way better than "WE USED THE MOST ADVANCED FAKE SEAL TECHNOLOGY TO GET THIS lovely SHOT OF A SHARKS MOUTH" that happens most shark weeks.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I idled past the Time Bandit in the Homer harbor a few days ago and it reminded me how bad this show, and all reality TV, is.

Well that's my Deadliest Catch story, hope you all enjoyed it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Oh great a woman on The Wizard, this won't end up terribly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm imagining Keith finally snapping and wearing the cameraman's skin as a onesie for luck, and the crew blaming the gi.... 'female' for causing it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm imagining Keith finally snapping and wearing the cameraman's skin as a onesie for luck, and the crew blaming the gi.... 'female' for causing it.

The final shot of the show is just Keith dancing to Goodbye Horses while wearing a skinsuit made out of cameramen who wouldn't get him coffee. The crew will blame the female.

Deadliest Catch will be rebooted 20 years later when Jake is running the Northwestern. And Elliot has another boat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

The final shot of the show is just Keith dancing to Goodbye Horses while wearing a skinsuit made out of cameramen who wouldn't get him coffee. The crew will blame the female.

Deadliest Catch will be rebooted 20 years later when Jake is running the Northwestern. And Elliot has another boat.
And it's Elliot's sixth boat.

And Sig is still running the Northwestern.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I get the feeling that all those holes and horseshit the Time Bandit dealt with wouldn't have been an issue if Scotty were still deck boss there. Andy was so terrified of his nephew wanting in on the captaining that they fired their only details oriented guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
No one is bringing up that those holes could have been the work of the kid that was threatening to sabatoge the boat before he got kicked off?

• Locked thread