Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So what's the fifth ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
EDIT: :argh:

Bacter posted:

There are five endings - green (regular good), blue (regular bad), and those are what you'd expect. Do better than a C, get green. C or lower, get blue. There's also, from the director's cut, white, which requires you to have perfect psych, which is... eh. It's tricky if you don't know precisely how to do it, and not awful if you do. As you can see, massive psych bonuses for good food sort of overcome everything else. Note that you CANNOT get the white ending the first go round, it requires some NG+ faffery.

Then there's the red ending. It requires you to have absolute rock-bottom psych without actually dying, which is super tricky, not to imagine really unpleasant to get. Did you know there are rats in this game? Did you know you can shoot and eat them? Just, a raw rat? Blech. There are also some other huge psych penalties that we didn't do, but that I'll show off!

So, what's the fifth ending?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: :argh:

So, what's the fifth ending?

Shutting the game off and living a good life.

Indie games are meta

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If the game takes a lot from Silent Hill, I'm gonna guess that it's a joke ending.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rave Ending. Instead going to the clinic you go back to your apartment and enter the bathroom. When you leave, Hank is in that bigger bedroom with all his friends (and chuck) dancing to house music and dropping E.

At the end of the night only Chuck was getting hydrated, so everyone else dies of heat exhaustion. Chuck becomes the lone survivor

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Odd thing I noticed beyond the two Page 4 photos. At the top of Page 6 there is "Answered question correctly in green dream". If you then look at the BOTTOM of page 8 you see "Answered question correctly in THE green dream". Now, unless things are just down right crazy (which given this game, they might be) but that makes me thing there are TWO different types of Green dreams, or the first two dreams are just that while the final one is the true dream, but I have no idea, I'm tired and sleepy as I'm typing this, so I could just be off my rocker from sleep dep.

Just an odd little thing I noticed.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Back!

Here page 3.

And as for the last ending, the YELLOW ending, well... we'll get to it. White ending first!

Incidentally, "talking to sleepy cat" is a psych penalty. I don't know how bad, I'd HOPE not too bad, because talking to Chuck is a bonus. Man, who KNOWS.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 8, 2015

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
So Sleepy Cat is also the name of that cat plush we start with? We did talk to it once, and we chose to call our real cat Sunny.

And Chuck is clearly an inspiration to all, spreading them leaves in spite of being stuck in a pot in an area that is always dark unless you use your flashlight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Why couldn't he bring Chuck into the apartment?

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why couldn't he bring Chuck into the apartment?

Because that would leave Hank terribly lonely, and he's clingy enough as it is.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Chuck's our doorman - don't relieve a plant of his employment!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, time for NG+ faffery!

First, let's tackle the technical "ultimate challenge": the Best Ending!

To get this, you need S* psych, which is a ton better than my B+ nonsense. Because you need to have virtually no negative psych experiences and all the positive ones you can stuff into your mouth or sleep on, a successful playthrough for best ending looks basically nothing like the main game - you won't feel STRESSED, but you might feel rushed.

Join me, as I lap my way around the first roughly half of the game, ponder Australian Gun Laws, and bid goodbye to my dearest friend for virtually no return.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What's so special about Mexican Coke?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's so special about Mexican Coke?

My guess is cane sugar instead of HFCS.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Man, I'm from the US and I still think Chuck's comments are weird. I mean, I understand them, but it's like I don't even know him anymore...:smith:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

azren posted:

Man, I'm from the US and I still think Chuck's comments are weird. I mean, I understand them, but it's like I don't even know him anymore...:smith:

Just when you think you know a guy.

Also, according to this, when compared to other sodas Mexican Coke has similar amounts of fructose and glucose.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, don't judge Chuck too harshly. The Tea Party may be kind of right of center, but they've got a strong...

Grassroots? Movement?

:v:

:suicide:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's easy for Chuck to hold these views since there's nobody around to call him a freeloader for waiting for water handouts instead of branching out to his own goddamned water.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

My guess is cane sugar instead of HFCS.

Also those swank rear end glass bottles.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just when you think you know a guy.

Also, according to this, when compared to other sodas Mexican Coke has similar amounts of fructose and glucose.

Well, the standard sugar in cane sugar, sucrose, is basically a fructose and glucose molecule bound together. They seem to be focusing on fructose in that study so maybe that's why they classify mexican soda sugar content that way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How do you know how I sound in traffic? :crossarms:

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
As a soda addict, I can attest that Mexican sodas are king.

Lime Jarritos are gateway drugs at only 50 cents a bottle.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Mexicoke has a better... mouth feel I think is the term? It's a more pleasant drink, even if the taste is basically identical. Also, I think it's a bit more refreshing, but that could be entirely psychosomatic.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As a Swede, yes, a handgun collection is weird. And creepy. The only people I can think of who would have guns at home are, with some exceptions, law enforcers and hunters.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Huh, interestingly enough the white run conversation with The Director differs slightly than the first run's conversation with The Director. White run You doesn't back down when The Director says you've got a lot of nerve to call him not real, pointing out that he's seen unexplainable things like fleshy walls and that it either has something to do with the disease or something wrong with him. I wonder if that's a New Game+ thing or a difference for having better psych than we did at this point in the first game?

edit: Should probably just paste the snippets of conversation, that's more straightforward.

First run:

quote:

You: For all I know, you're not even real.
The Director: You got a lot of nerve, you know!
You: What's your story?
The Director: Well, I could be part of your furtive imagination...
The Director: I couldn't rightly say!
The Director: But I reckon I'm here alright.
The Director: ...sure as the night is long.

White run:
(new text is bolded)

quote:

You: For all I know, you're not even real.
The Director: You got a lot of nerve, you know!
You: Hold on a minute...
You: I've been seeing all kinds of things...
You: I dunno if it's the disease that's doing that.
You: I'm only alive because I locked myself up in my apartment.
(this might be inaccurate as the text gets skipped too fast to easily stop on youtube.)
You: How about you, huh?
You: I've no idea how you survived!

The Director: Well, I could be part of your furtive imagination...
The Director: I couldn't rightly say!
The Director: But I reckon I'm here alright.
The Director: ...sure as the night is long.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 10, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, interesting! I hadn't noticed that!

It's definitely a function of psych. Unfortunately, even our initial run was technically NG+, in that anybody would have accepted Sleepy Cat (hence why I didn't try). The game only holds one save, but it keeps various options unlocked as soon as you achieve the green ending once.

Edit: I actually forgot to include one little piece of info for the non-US viewers who might not be SUPER up on American gun law debate:

"Second Amendment" refers to the second amendment to the US constitution, which, depending on your interpretation of it, either allows some very specific American in very specific situations or virtually all American in virtually all situations to own and carry guns.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 9, 2015

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'm gonna plead the fifth on that one.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm gonna plead the fifth on that one.

Wikipedia "List of amendments to the Constitution act, 1867 prior to 1982"

quote:

The Alberta Act, effective September 1, 1905, was the act of the Parliament of Canada that created the province of Alberta. The act is similar in nature to The Saskatchewan Act, which established the province of Saskatchewan at the same time. Like the Saskatchewan Act, the Alberta Act was controversial because (sec 21) it allowed the Government of Canada to maintain control of all of Alberta's natural resources and public lands. Alberta did not win control of these resources until the passage of the Natural Resources Acts in 1930.

The Alberta Act is part of the Constitution of Canada.

:canada:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

We were created by an act of Parliament, and by God we'll use an act of Parliament to secede and become a crazy redneck fortress state.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Skippy Granola posted:

We were created by an act of Parliament, and by God we'll use an act of Parliament to secede and become a crazy redneck fortress state.

Arm the beavers and unleash hell.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Spookyelectric posted:

As a soda addict, I can attest that Mexican sodas are king.

Lime Jarritos are gateway drugs at only 50 cents a bottle.

I had a regular cola-flavored Jarrito. It was better than Coke or Pepsi! I can't say much more than that - I don't know about complex flavors with hints of fruit or whatever, but it did have a deeper, richer flavor.

But level with me, addict. What's the GOOD STUFF. I want to stroll into a tienda like what's up como estas en su tienda. Adonde esta la (gaseosa buena).

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Oh HO!

If you like cream soda, you'll want to try one of two options: Toni Col, which is a vanilla flavored soda, or Refresco Goya Cola Champagne, which is supposed to be a champagne-flavored soda. It'll be for cream soda what the Jarritos Cola was for Pepsi... richer and less sweet.

If you like fruity soda, I actually do consider Jarritos Lime as my go to... but the good stuff is Jarritos Tamarindo. It's like drinking sweet fruit curry, in a good way. If that description scared you off, then instead try Sidral Mundet, which is an apple-flavored soda that also has some clove flavor in there. Mexican sodas do fruity much better than other companies I've tried. That reminds me, avoid Fanta.

But if you want to impress them... get Sangria Seņorial. Like it says on the bottle, it tastes like sangria. If you like sangria, this will be your favorite soda forever. If you don't, then this will be gross. If you've never tried sangria then there's no telling what you'll think... but that's just the kind of high-risk dice-rolling lifestyle us soda-addicts embrace!

Edited because I forgot something important.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 11, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fentiman's is damned good stuff if you can find it.
Comes in thick glass bottles and is a cola fermented for carbonation, though it has like less than .1% alcohol so you'd need tons of it to even equal a single beer.

They also have other drinks, all carbonated. Big fan of their Ginger Ale and victorian lemonade.

If you are ever in LA go by Galco's old world grocery.
They have literally every single kind of soda and cola from every corner of the world.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 11, 2015

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Well, if we're not limited to Mexican soda in our recommendations, then I also suggest Cock and Bull Ginger Beer. You'll never touch ginger ale again, except as a mixer.

And Moxie, of course. Although Moxie is divisive because it's got a note of bitterness and kind of a licorice taste. I love it, but not everyone does.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I'm late to the party but thanks so much for let's playing LS. I really enjoyed the game back in the day so I actually went and created the lonesurvivorwikia and even got the chance of playtesting it right before it hit Steam, my username should be somewhere in the credits (michelkobayashi, I doubled checked it's still here, nice). We fixed a ton of nasty glitches and broken scripted events -- from the top of my head I remember a ton of out-of-bounds glitches, for example when you finally reach the hospital for the first time, you could simply walk out of it since Jasper, the game dev, forgot to put invisible walls. I also remember a bug with the elevator monster guarding the hotel entrance, he kept pushing you to the side and the animation was weird when you tried going closer to him and I think it got fixed and you can't re-enter the room anymore or something. Then there's really minor stuff like increasing the move in hidden spots animation speed (it was twice as slow in the vanilla version, horrible) or "You" commenting on the fact that he doesn't have a map of an area and that he really should get one, like I said very minor stuff, but Jasper was so nice listening to our recommendations, we even got the chance of playing some Dark Souls 1 cooperation with him one night, it was really cool.

Now I don't know if this was addressed before, I haven't kept up with the thread or your videos at all, also I noticed in the OP that you said it was fine to talk about it now that you're in NG+, but playtesting the game actually ruined LS for me since I accidentally discovered how the whole Ending/Psych Report worked. I won't go into detail because it would ruin the game for everyone else as well, also Jasper said he would kill me if I did, so let's just say it works the exact same way as Silent Hill 2. Do X action -> receive Y points towards Z profile (red, blue, white, etc.). Everyone who's played the game must know that, but they probably don't know the exact amount of points you get for every actions, though I think it's best this way if there's no mathematics involved, it would really kill the mystery and experimentation otherwise.

edit:

Bacter posted:

Now, one of the things to know about this report is that nobody knows exactly what all of these bullet points MEAN.

Hah, you did address it. I can assure you that the bullet points make sense in term of gameplay, just an example, eating good and healthy food would give you something like +1 point towards I think the Green ending? Maybe it's blue, I forget. The same for getting injured/hallucinating/doing bad actions/doing good deeds, etc.

edit2: I remembered something, again I don't know if people are aware of it or not or if you mentioned it in the let's play at all, but in the version of the game I had, there's a cupboard in your apartment right next to your bed, it showed you the game controls I think, so you could enter a code and it let you basically play the debug mode version of the game. Jasper never told me the code though :smith:

mkob fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ah, neat stories - really glad to have you along!

The final game is remarkably bug-free! The only one I ever found was during a recording for this LP, I kind of wish I'd kept it.

If you go down a hallway running from the elevator monster, he'll chase you through doorways. If you go back through the door at the same time he's entering it, he leaves the game permanently, and the scary music never quits, and you don't get any dialogue for going outside.

We did go into a little detail about the psych reports, but we ended up just saying "man, who knows" for a lot of stuff.

Can you... reveal if looking at the chalk drawings or the photos is a positive or negative? I don't need to know point values, I'm just curious. My gut would say it's a positive, since they're a psych gauge and they're probably of "her", but the psych reports says "obsessively checked the photos", which makes it seem negative.

VVV Good to know! Man, that's different than what I thought. Thanks!!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 12, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

There are two gauge factors in the game (unless Jasper added more in the director's cut):

Sane and Psycho

Avoiding monsters, eating good food, taking care of people and yourself gives you points towards the Sane profile.
Killing monsters, eating rats, doing bad stuff, etc. goes to Psycho.

Believe it or not but looking at the chalk drawings, even once, gives you minor Psycho points and examining the photos obsessively does as well.

iirc you can gauge the sane/psycho points gain by examining the chalk drawing and depending on the comments you get, if he says "It's a girl, she looks nice" then that means you're relatively sane and going towards a good ending, but if the comment is apathetic (I don't have time to look at these hopeless scribbles) then you're going down.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So I'm pretty confident that there are a bunch of interpretations - as somebody who's been into it for a long time, In your opinion, mkob, what's the game about? :v:

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

"They look like monsters to you?" :v:

e: serious answer, this is what the game is truly about

mkob fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

There was a small local supermarket that was selling Jarritos (4 flavors) and I tried one (fruit punch). It was alright, nothing too special.

• Locked thread