Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Onmi posted:

I blame them not knowing what they wanted to do with a sequel and only having a year basically to make it. Because they planned to do support conversations http://serenesforest.net/fe10/supportcut.html

How in the hell were you supposed to get some of these supports? Caineghis has like 10 and include ones with Kyza and Lyre.

Maybe you got the laguz royals early on? Maybe all non-royal laguz weren't poo poo?

Also, I don't see an OliverXSigrun support there, which disappoints me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Funky Valentine posted:

How in the hell were you supposed to get some of these supports? Caineghis has like 10 and include ones with Kyza and Lyre.

Maybe you got the laguz royals early on? Maybe all non-royal laguz weren't poo poo?

Also, I don't see an OliverXSigrun support there, which disappoints me.

presumably the game would have been different, I mean the Dragons have support conversations, including the Red one who's so bloody unremarkable I can't recall his name. Gareth?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Onmi posted:

presumably the game would have been different, I mean the Dragons have support conversations, including the Red one who's so bloody unremarkable I can't recall his name. Gareth?

He gets one with...Renning.

This proto-Radiant Dawn sounds absolutely amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

There's that screenshot of Tier 3 Mickey fighting Caineghis. Maybe the war continued for longer. Maybe the war didn't get goddess-jacked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

So Melee isn't a good game?

Roy is terrible in Melee

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

There's that screenshot of Tier 3 Mickey fighting Caineghis. Maybe the war continued for longer. Maybe the war didn't get goddess-jacked.

I think at one point they realized "Oh right... that goddess thing we set up for basically all of the last game. We should probably make that pay off." I really wish they hadn't. I really think the game is stronger on the whole without the Goddess stuff getting involved. So to talk about RDs development cycle because it's hilarious, at the start they just knew "We want to make console FE again" when working on PoR and "We want to make a sequel" so PoR was made with intentional hooks, Sephiran, the Medallion, Sothe's missing person and not promoting, whatever was up with Soren, the entire giant spiel at the end where Sephiran says that people will attempt to twist Ike's story to their own game which may lead to a political upheaval, that Ike has many more challenges in his future and he hopes that 'The goddess rides with [him]"

But that's it, they didn't actually have any plot that they wanted to continue PoR with, they just knew "Hey sequel hooks!" so they get to RD, the writer AND I think the Director change and it's like "We have a year to make a sequel... oh we're hosed." And then you have things like Magic swords not actually working, and the cut support list in the game data, and all the parts in the game that just make you go "Wait what?"

I said once that RD reminds me a lot of FFIV: The After Years, an episodic game. I think it feels like that partially because of the outro cutscenes at the end of each part which make no real sense, and partially because it feels like a lot of different game and story ideas that it's like "We're at crunch time!" "gently caress it! Throw it all in!"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

:boom:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

It seems Sakurai and the english translators are at odds, because his intro references the original Seal of Swords subtitle.

His sword is called the Sword of Seals, his game is called the Binding Blade

Also Roy owns

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roy has more personality in Smash Bros than he does in Fire Emblem, and that's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Roy has more personality in Smash Bros than he does in Fire Emblem, and that's good.
Honestly Roy has a decent amount of personality, it's just that the translation most everyone's played is rear end-tastic.

FE6 Roy is kind of half-eliwood, half-hector. Really, the problem is more that he doesn't get much of a character arc. There's something there with the scouring and sparing Idoun, but they never do much about it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Terper posted:

gently caress it! Final turn on chapter 3, Marco, I'm not dealing with this bullshit! You're dead, dead and gone!

Stuff like that is why I stopped resetting when people died and started living with the consequences of my actions 1% crits and rear end in a top hat reinforcements.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Terper posted:

So this dude on Serenes just up and out of the blue released a completed romhack yesterday. The sprites are okay-ish (what the heck is going on with Ash though), but it's pretty tough so far and the story's not bad, so check it out if you want something new Fire Emblem.

This is pretty neat.

Chapter 1 was pretty hard, even with two fairly good prepromotes given to you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't imagine how you beat the prologue on hard. Normal was barely enough to survive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nothing turns me off a hack quicker than a prologue that is way too long and requires tons of resets because your units all die in two hits

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

I can't imagine how you beat the prologue on hard. Normal was barely enough to survive.

I didn't find it that hard.

The NPC units did most of the work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

nothing turns me off a hack quicker than a prologue that is way too long and requires tons of resets because your units all die in two hits

lol 20 enemies and a level 10 general as a boss. admittedly the boss is going to leave for sure, but still

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So let's spitball blue-haired anime swordsmen to add to Smash 4 to piss off the people who can't tell them apart.

Hector, Chrom, Morgan, Sigurd, Celice... I'm missing several people.

Other applicants with blue-ish hair welcome.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hector does not wield swords, but you could add Eirika and Alm for green-hair confusion too!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

alcharagia posted:

Hector does not wield swords, but you could add Eirika and Alm for green-hair confusion too!

Hector gets swords on promotion.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Zwingley posted:

So let's spitball blue-haired anime swordsmen to add to Smash 4 to piss off the people who can't tell them apart.

Hector, Chrom, Morgan, Sigurd, Celice... I'm missing several people.

Other applicants with blue-ish hair welcome.

Zigludo and Serlis, from Fire Emblem: Descent of Jihad.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hector should be in every game

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Hector gets swords on promotion.

Hector does not wield swords.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you let hector use swords you are no true gamer

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hector's arms aren't blue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

lol 20 enemies and a level 10 general as a boss. admittedly the boss is going to leave for sure, but still
yeah, between that, the counter-intuitive recruitment (just because shinon did it in FE9 doesn't make it cool) and the 'HERE IS MY MOTIVATION' 'allow me to remind you of your motivation' dialogue i just turned it off

im sure its cool but that wasn't a good first impression

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i didn't mind the recruitment since i felt the dialogue was a good enough hint, but i'm in chapter 1 and it's super dumb. if you want it to be hard for FE vets that's one thing, but you still need to keep pacing in mind. small scale maps can be hard too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. it's weird for me, as a dude who white knights FE6 super hard, to say this, but I feel like fe romhackers are way too obsessed with making 'big' feeling maps. there should not be a dozen allied NPCs on the freaking prologue map.

also the next person to make their romhack's about thing when they post it just a big infodump on the kingdoms of the setting should be shot, in this goon's opinion

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

alcharagia posted:

Hector does not wield swords.
Hector wields tree trunks painted grey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*cocks shotgun* sell me on your hack

'ON THE CONTINENT OF ASDCASDCASDASDCASDCAS THERE EXIST FIVE NATIONS..."

wrong answer, motherfucker *boom*

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

really id be happy if anyone on my team could double

also i wish i had a knight, which is something i've rarely found myself thinking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you could also wish for lowen, it's basically the same thing

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you get a wyvern knight, who's good and helpful but archers mess him up so you can't always tank with him when you need to.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also in the first chapter there's three chests, two door keys, and a thief. so if you kill the thief before he gets to the chest, you lose out on one of them since he can't open the chest and then drop the item. it punishes you for being too effective at accomplishing the "stop the thief" optional objective

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Wait til the thief opens a chest or door and then kill him is a time honored FE stratagem.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

That romhack is good so far. Much better than most.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You know what would be a good romhack, something set in that huge war that happens offscreen in the first gen of FE4 that Manfroy occasionally pops in to tell Random Dark Mage Guy #278 about.

Well that's my idea bye.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

That romhack is good so far. Much better than most.
imo it's way worse than the last promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

also in the first chapter there's three chests, two door keys, and a thief. so if you kill the thief before he gets to the chest, you lose out on one of them since he can't open the chest and then drop the item. it punishes you for being too effective at accomplishing the "stop the thief" optional objective

I mean I agree with you on most things you said but this is all on you buddy