Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheetah7071 posted:

Because the rules say so? A type changing effect that doesn't specify that it keeps its old types makes it lose them.

Yeah that's what I was asking. No need for the question mark.

Elyv posted:

If you see the line of text "A becomes B" on a card, it means it loses all of its previously relevant types and gains those new types instead, unless the card says otherwise.

It's the difference between these two cards, basically:

Thanks.

So, if a card said "target creature becomes an artifact until end of turn", would it not be a creature ueot? What if it was already an artifact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah that's what I was asking. No need for the question mark.

Thanks.

So, if a card said "target creature becomes an artifact until end of turn", would it not be a creature ueot? What if it was already an artifact?

It would either say "in addition to its other types" or they would just be artifacts. I believe every card that does this specifies in addition to existing types.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

1) Yes
2) It would become a non-creature artifact

Similar card:

Ruling:

quote:

10/4/2004: The creature stops being a creature (or any other permanent type) and is just an enchantment with no abilities.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks for entertaining my ignorance.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sickening posted:

I am kind of on the fence about how I I feel about this card.

I don't know how I feel about a legendary 2/1 though but at least the flip seems easy enough. But what turn is he reasonably flipped? 3? 4? 5? When he is flipped he is obviously removed from combat all together (so no damage), then he does gives another creature vigiliance at sorcery speed? Forces an opponent's creature to attack? He can't attack until next turn and at best its is a 4/4 without warrior tribal fuckery.

On the other hand he does seem pretty efficient though. The flip is already probably part of your gameplan if he is on the board or not.

But honestly, would savanna lions even be playable in standard with the power level of creatures today?

Considering we have a handful of better savannah lions in standard that don't see much play, no. But this guy has a lot more upside than soldier of the pantheon.

Also holy cow cube slam dunk. Savannah lions I thought you'd never leave!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is anyone watching SSL? Owen's deck is U/G Yisan with like 30 1-of creatures. It rules.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
fuckin' hell, Gideon. How can you simultaneously appear to be horrendously broken and still absolute garbage in Hatebears? :sigh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

qbert posted:

Is anyone watching SSL? Owen's deck is U/G Yisan with like 30 1-of creatures. It rules.

Loses to Esper Dragons about as well as anything else :quig:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So is Gideon Shazam?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

fuckin' hell, Gideon. How can you simultaneously appear to be horrendously broken and still absolute garbage in Hatebears? :sigh:

Same way as Baneslayer Angel I guess

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

JerryLee posted:

Loses to Esper Dragons about as well as anything else :quig:

He's already clinched 1st in SSL so I appreciate playing basically a Commander deck in Standard because gently caress it.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Entropic posted:

It'll be funny if Gideon is a creature that turns into a planeswalker that can turn into a creature.

Back when we were guessing what Gideon did.

This would be a pretty good general for a soldier EDH deck.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Gideon will be good in my Allies.dec Tiny Leader Deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Gideon will be good in my Allies.dec Tiny Leader Deck

I might actually switch Ghost Anafenza out for Gideon.

Which is a shame because I really like Ghost Anafenza.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I choose to believe that having the god face form out of the sky behind him like that is a deliberate (Savannah) Lion King reference.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Has anyone guessed at a Gideon ignition card yet?

Emergency Response
WW
Instant
Summon two 1/1 white soldier tokens with haste. Exile those tokens at the beginning of the next end step.

I'm terrible at fake card design.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Emergency Response
WW
Instant
Summon two 1/1 white soldier tokens with haste. Exile those tokens at the beginning of the next end step.

That seems fairly red. Cool, but red.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Emergency Response
WW
Instant

As awful as that is, I'd put a lot of fake Internet points on Gideon's "ignition" card making tokens. I'd like it to cost two mana, but that's probably too much to ask.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
That'd be cool, but it would be pretty busted to have Gideon transformed immediately on turn 2.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

That seems fairly red. Cool, but red.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The wombo combo of the day is t1 Ornithopter x2 plus Gideon.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

The wombo combo of the day is t1 Ornithopter x2 plus Gideon.

Also, ESG+Concordant Crossroads.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

They should just reprint Waylay for Gideon but errata it back to when it was white lightning

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I was confused exactly because of KTK Sarkhan. Why does his +1 turn off his pw status?
Other people have explained how it works already, but I think why the templating is different might be because preventing damage isn't very red.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dr. Stab posted:

Also, ESG+Concordant Crossroads.

There is a modern-legal version of this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They spoiled Gideon's Ignition not long after, surprised it didn't get posted here

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

They spoiled Gideon's Ignition not long after, surprised it didn't get posted here

:captainpop:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't think Gideon is that insane. Most of the time the decks that want him don't have 3 spare mana to activate the indestructible ability, and if an aggressive deck can swing with a 2/1 plus two other creatures and have it live, they are probably winning the game anyway. I can maybe see it being good against control, but in this Standard control decks run a bunch of black spells that don't care about a creature being indestructible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Allstone posted:

Other people have explained how it works already, but I think why the templating is different might be because preventing damage isn't very red.
I can think of a few issues: a) what you said, b) a space issue on the card (seems unlikely), c) its just flavor to say that when Sarkhan transforms into a giant gently caress-off monster he doesn't have Planeswalker abilities, or d) they wanted you to be able to use Sarkhan's minus-3 ability if you had another copy in your hand but already controlled a Sarkhan.

I'm guessing on D.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I was confused exactly because of KTK Sarkhan. Why does his +1 turn off his pw status?

The flavor behind Gideon turning into a creature is that he straight up walks into combat as himself. When Sarkhan turns into a dragon, he is no longer Sarkhan Vol, he is a (very good) dragon.

Angry Grimace posted:

Sarkhan doesn't prevent damage even in dragon form. He stops being a Planeswalker.

I thought he was talking about the two gideons?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

The flavor behind Gideon turning into a creature is that he straight up walks into combat as himself. When Sarkhan turns into a dragon, he is no longer Sarkhan Vol, he is a (very good) dragon.

I thought he was talking about the two gideons?

Even if he was, Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker turns into a creature and has different rules attached to him.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like you.

New Gideon could maybe be playable in Modern soul sisters?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does it seem weird to anyone else that Origins is so storyline-vital and so new in the type of character building it's doing and at the same time Wizards is saying they'll never do it again?

Or do they just mean it's the last time Origins will be in a core set slot and we might see a supplemental version of Origins in 3 years time for a new storyline?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lancelot posted:

Does it seem weird to anyone else that Origins is so storyline-vital and so new in the type of character building it's doing and at the same time Wizards is saying they'll never do it again?

Or do they just mean it's the last time Origins will be in a core set slot and we might see a supplemental version of Origins in 3 years time for a new storyline?

It means that this is the end of Core sets, and we're shifting to a pair of Large/Small sets that are storyline relevant each year. Reducing the time per plane from a year to six months will do a ton for worldbuilding.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Savannah Lions definitely would not be good enough for standard, we have pretty much entirely better alternatives (Soldier of the Pantheon, that warrior that exiles stuff) that don't see play. This seems potentially good with all the token makers around though.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hopping Ghost posted:

I choose to believe that having the god face form out of the sky behind him like that is a deliberate (Savannah) Lion King reference.

I just noticed that unflipped Gideon uses 'him' (which gets used for male planeswalkers) instead of 'it' (which gets used for all legendary creatures). Neat touch.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Could you do a RDW kind of thing with that new Gideon? That looks super cool. Throw in impact tremors and raise the alarm?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Niton posted:

It means that this is the end of Core sets, and we're shifting to a pair of Large/Small sets that are storyline relevant each year. Reducing the time per plane from a year to six months will do a ton for worldbuilding.

Yeah, I know — but they've also said that Origins is setting up the backstory of the 5 planeswalkers who are going to feature in the next couple years' worth of stories (presumably, the destruction/resealing of the Eldrazi). Won't they want to do an Origins again when new planeswalkers become central to the story because of new villains? How can they do that if Origins is the last of the Core sets?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

Could you do a RDW kind of thing with that new Gideon? That looks super cool. Throw in impact tremors and raise the alarm?
I don't think Tremors is good, but maybe you could try something like the token RDW list with Gideon coming in for Foundry Street and Seekers in there somewhere. Might work if the fixing is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hmm we didnt originally plan for Gideon to be based in Theros so what if in Theros he was actually not Gideon!? *Magic writers do a jumping high five*

• Locked thread