Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

guess she didn't get enough points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Armor-Piercing posted:

She came in 14th in the poll mentioned earlier, with 209 votes.

That's actually pretty reassuring to know, but I was referring to Richard's tier.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Where the gently caress is Komachi, the best anime sister?

uhhhhh i dont really want to see hachiman date his sister...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

uhhhhh i dont really want to see hachiman date his sister...

Oh I thought it was a general ranking of best girls in Oregairu, not a dating tier.

My bad.

I, too, do not really want to see Hachiman date his sister.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

these light novels are not done right? does anyone know how many more are they going to make? this season will end at the 11th so we are definitely not going to get a real ending. i wonder what they are going to do, and i hope they are able to give it some closure. that is my wish

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Inflammatory posted:

i think it's refreshing. sometimes you can like a dude without having to go through some huge personal epiphany.

Yea, but stories need conflict from somewhere and Oregairu isn't exactly a battle manga, so they're somewhat limited in what they can use.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Classy Hydra posted:

Yea, but stories need conflict from somewhere and Oregairu isn't exactly a battle manga, so they're somewhat limited in what they can use.

The conflict is Hikki realizing there is someone who genuinely, without any pretense or other motive, likes him and him accepting that and not going after goddamn Yukino even though that's probably what he's going to do.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 17, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
well yeah the conflict comes from 8man being a broken human being who's unable to accept affection.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Cake Attack posted:

I loled

(How many points do you give yourself?)

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Thing is, that's been partially resolved. Hachiman doesn't really avoid affection (at least from Yui and Yukino) anymore, and indeed went as far as to more or less accept Yui's offer of going on a date sometime in the future (phrased more obliquely of course because baby steps, but I don't think anyone involved thinks it's anything else). While he hasn't quite magically gotten over his problems, he has finally been able to actually recognize and address them which leads me to believe that this specific facet of his character arc is no longer going to serve as the driving conflict as it has for much of the series up until this point.

Considering Hachiman rejecting Yui's affection was literally the first turning point of the series, I don't see them returning to that again in order to conclude the romantic arc once we've already established Hachiman's been making progress towards making actual relationships with the people around him. Conflict of character development is of course prone to relapse, but I think we've already tread all the territory the story wants to cover from this angle; a key line in the recent episode was (paraphrased) "it doesn't matter what people think as long as the people I trust believe in me", which to me signals a departure from the Hachiman-centric inability to trust people (even if they seem perfectly trustworthy), into a take on the central theme with Yukino's particular issues at the core. The story's been teasing a climactic engagement with Yukino's problems approximately as long as it's been teasing Hikki's eventual interrogation of his own wants and needs, so it's natural to expect it'll tie into the ultimate romantic arc in some way.

While in some stories the romantic arc doesn't need to be fraught with conflict and personal introspection, considering the basic conceit of Oregairu is to question and demonstrate the precarious nature of intrapersonal relationships, I don't think this is one of them. While there are ways that they could conclude Yukino's arc while simultaneously getting Yui and Hachiman together within the story's normal tonal range, I personally doubt they'll be taken as they relegate a romance involving the main character to the b-plot.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Classy Hydra posted:

Thing is, that's been partially resolved. Hachiman doesn't really avoid affection (at least from Yui and Yukino) anymore, and indeed went as far as to more or less accept Yui's offer of going on a date sometime in the future (phrased more obliquely of course because baby steps, but I don't think anyone involved thinks it's anything else). While he hasn't quite magically gotten over his problems, he has finally been able to actually recognize and address them which leads me to believe that this specific facet of his character arc is no longer going to serve as the driving conflict as it has for much of the series up until this point.

Considering Hachiman rejecting Yui's affection was literally the first turning point of the series, I don't see them returning to that again in order to conclude the romantic arc once we've already established Hachiman's been making progress towards making actual relationships with the people around him. Conflict of character development is of course prone to relapse, but I think we've already tread all the territory the story wants to cover from this angle; a key line in the recent episode was (paraphrased) "it doesn't matter what people think as long as the people I trust believe in me", which to me signals a departure from the Hachiman-centric inability to trust people (even if they seem perfectly trustworthy), into a take on the central theme with Yukino's particular issues at the core. The story's been teasing a climactic engagement with Yukino's problems approximately as long as it's been teasing Hikki's eventual interrogation of his own wants and needs, so it's natural to expect it'll tie into the ultimate romantic arc in some way.

While in some stories the romantic arc doesn't need to be fraught with conflict and personal introspection, considering the basic conceit of Oregairu is to question and demonstrate the precarious nature of intrapersonal relationships, I don't think this is one of them. While there are ways that they could conclude Yukino's arc while simultaneously getting Yui and Hachiman together within the story's normal tonal range, I personally doubt they'll be taken as they relegate a romance involving the main character to the b-plot.

yeah that's cool but yui's still better.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

chumbler posted:

The conflict is Hikki realizing there is someone who genuinely, without any pretense or other motive, likes him and him accepting that and not going after goddamn Yukino even though that's probably what he's going to do.

I hope not. Yukino should get friendzoned.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think showing Yukino's "you and I could never be friends" was wrong would be a much stronger ending than going "she was right all along! Get to kissing!"

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
As this seems to be the general consensus, any particular (non-facetious) reason why you guys don't like Yukino? Or rather, why would you rather have Hachiman with Yui than with Yukino?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

krnhotwings posted:

As this seems to be the general consensus, any particular (non-facetious) reason why you guys don't like Yukino? Or rather, why would you rather have Hachiman with Yui than with Yukino?

cuz Yui's got the biggest boobs in the class. also she is the best and has liked hachiman from the start

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Yukino's cool, but she's been boring until just recently, while Yui's been fun and interesting and into him since just about the beginning.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I like her hair and she's nice

edit: that's really all it takes, I'm a dog irl basically is what I'm saying

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
She also has Karen's voice.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

and the voice of chiho from devil is a part timer

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I wonder if they have the stones to end with Yui in the anime, while end with Yukino in the LN, where she is more popular.

and the voice of chiho from devil is a part timer
So a born loser then.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

cuz Yui's got the biggest boobs in the class. also she is the best and has liked hachiman from the start
I'm not quite sure why Yui likes Hachiman in the first place. Is it just 'cause he saved her dog? Otherwise, I guess Yui's an internally weird girl who likes a weird guy, which is all fine and dandy.

Coaaab posted:

I wonder if they have the stones to end with Yui in the anime, while end with Yukino in the LN, where she is more popular.
Probably not. I see this heading toward a White Album 2-esque ending where Yukino is Kazusa and Yui is Setsuna.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Coaaab posted:

So a born loser then.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

I'm not quite sure why Yui likes Hachiman in the first place. Is it just 'cause he saved her dog? Otherwise, I guess Yui's an internally weird girl who likes a weird guy, which is all fine and dandy.

This. Hachiman shares a lot of characteristics with Yukino while Yui is the pretty girl with a heart of gold but lack of depth.

Or what I'm trying to say is, standard school anime characters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cake Attack posted:

This post earned you so many Komachi points.

Classy Hydra posted:

I fully expect that its a plot point in the future that Hachiman rejects Yui, Yukino or Iroha for the same reason Ebina pre-emptively rejected Tobe. Yui and Yukino are his only two real friends and he probably would irreparably damage his relationship with one or both of them if he went after any of them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 17, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

This. Hachiman shares a lot of characteristics with Yukino while Yui is the pretty girl with a heart of gold but lack of depth.

Or what I'm trying to say is, standard school anime characters.

Smdh at this Yui hate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

krnhotwings posted:

Yui likes Hachiman for the same reason Yukino and Iroha like him. Because they think he's deep.

Its not entirely unrealistic, I've met many girls who actively like somewhat abrasive dudes with no filter.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Angry Grimace posted:

Yui likes Hachiman for the same reason Yukino and Iroha like him. Because they think he's deep.

Its not entirely unrealistic, I've met many girls who actively like somewhat abrasive dudes with no filter.
Yukino is probably more abrasive and socially awkward than Hachiman, while Iroha has as rotten a personality as him.

Yui's a nice girl that deserves a nice guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Coaaab posted:

Yukino is probably more abrasive and socially awkward than Hachiman, while Iroha has as rotten a personality as him.

Yui's a nice girl that deserves a nice guy.

Well, they're all well-enough developed characters for it not be particularly strange that they like Hachiman. Yukino likes Hachiman because they're similar people, Yui likes Hachiman because he's the opposite of her exceedingly superficial social-circle and Iroha likes him because Hachiman instinctively understands her real personality (which most people apparently don't).

It boils down to the fact that they think he's deep.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Unfortunately, she's also Chitoge.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 17, 2015

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Inflammatory posted:

yeah that's cool but yui's still better.

But not as good as Irohas though, so...

Angry Grimace posted:

I fully expect that its a plot point in the future that Hachiman rejects Yui, Yukino or Iroha for the same reason Ebina pre-emptively rejected Tobe. Yui and Yukino are his only two real friends and he probably would irreparably damage his relationship with one or both of them if he went after any of them.

Honestly I think either of them would be at least superficially fine with it, Yukino being used to being left out and Yui already feeling like she's the odd man out of the trio. I agree this plot's probably going to rear its head at some point though, examining how to deal with a group dynamic changing in a way that seems to inherently disclude others. It seems a very Hachiman thing to do, hypocritical while still working within the framework of him trying to move past his previous failings.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Yui likes Hikigaya because he's nice and he goes out of his way to help people even at personal cost. It's not that he's "deep" or mysterious or anything, he's just the kind of person who'd give someone the shirt off his back if they really needed it. (Admittedly, he'd probably instead find a way to destroy his social reputation that resulted in a net gain of one shirt, but when all you've got is a hammer...)

I'd bet money that Hikigaya helped more people between saving her dog and joining the Service Club, and he just never got brought it up because his self-image is "prickly loner who doesn't need people"; until the "something genuine" scene, he never admits why he's being nice. Yui, meanwhile, had her introduction to him be the aforementioned dog-saving and she's pretty good with people, so if he was doing that sort of thing, odds are she noticed.

Edit: This probably also explains Saika and Zaimokuza, thinking about it; Zaimokuza really doesn't hesitate at all to ask Hikigaya for help with his story at the start and they already know each other from gym, so chances are that he's done things for Zaimokuza before (and Yui and/or Saika noticed).

Einander fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 17, 2015

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Teen Romantic Comedy STFU S2

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Einander posted:

Edit: This probably also explains Saika and Zaimokuza, thinking about it; Zaimokuza really doesn't hesitate at all to ask Hikigaya for help with his story at the start and they already know each other from gym, so chances are that he's done things for Zaimokuza before (and Yui and/or Saika noticed).

Makes me wonder if people even came to ask help from the club before 8man joined, or if it was just Yukino sitting in a room by herself doing nothing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Pavlov posted:

Makes me wonder if people even came to ask help from the club before 8man joined, or if it was just Yukino sitting in a room by herself doing nothing.

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "they didn't." If my suspicions are right, Yui, Zaimokuza and Saika all went because Hikigaya was there, and Hayato probably wouldn't have asked Yukino for help if she was by herself (because things between them are really awkward at the start of the story), but Hikigaya and Yui give him cover.

The more I think about it, the more "Hikigaya spent a year discreetly helping people off-camera" explains a lot of the early story. (He did save Yui's dog at the start of first year, right? From the way they talk about it, I'm pretty sure it was first year instead of second.) Even clarifies why their teacher stuck him in the club--because he was basically doing Service Club stuff anyway.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Yui at the very least didn't come because Hikigaya was there, considering her surprise at seeing him and the fact she was coming to ask for help in making cookies for him in the first place.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

(He did save Yui's dog at the start of first year, right? From the way they talk about it, I'm pretty sure it was first year instead of second.) Even clarifies why their teacher stuck him in the club--because he was basically doing Service Club stuff anyway.
If I recall, what happened was that Hachiman was heading to school early on his first day of freshman year, and then the dog incident occurred. I think he was out for something like 3 weeks. This brought about the incident between Hachiman and Yui in S1 when he confronted Yui 'cause he thought she was just being nice to him out of guilt that he's a loner because he was out for the first couple weeks of school, thus destroying his prospective high school social life (which was all just Hachiman's speculation.) Something like that.

I think the teacher stuck him in the club because he's a social outcast and thinks similarly to Yukino. She said something about the club consisting of problem children in the first episode of S1 (or the first volume of the LN... don't remember.)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Classy Hydra posted:

Yui at the very least didn't come because Hikigaya was there, considering her surprise at seeing him and the fact she was coming to ask for help in making cookies for him in the first place.

Gah, you're right! Well, that point's undermined. Yukino may have helped people before Hikigaya joined, but it doesn't seem too likely to me.

krnhotwings posted:

If I recall, what happened was that Hachiman was heading to school early on his first day of freshman year, and then the dog incident occurred. I think he was out for something like 3 weeks. This brought about the incident between Hachiman and Yui in S1 when he confronted Yui 'cause he thought she was just being nice to him out of guilt that he's a loner because he was out for the first couple weeks of school, thus destroying his prospective high school social life (which was all just Hachiman's speculation.) Something like that.

I think the teacher stuck him in the club because he's a social outcast and thinks similarly to Yukino. She said something about the club consisting of problem children in the first episode of S1 (or the first volume of the LN... don't remember.)

Yeah, I was fairly sure that he saved Yui's dog first year, considering, but it always seemed strange to me that she waited an entire year to try and thank him again (with the cookies). Yui falling for him after watching him spend that year helping people makes more sense, though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

I think the following passage from the LN that focuses on Tobe's crush on Ebina could also apply broadly to Yui's crush on Hikki:

Volume 7, Chapter 3 posted:

“Ebina too, she has somethin’ like that too. Sometimes, I like, get quick glances at her and it’s like, she isn’t what she looks like or so? That is totally cool. Aah, I’m soo gross for saying this embarrassing stuff!”

As if trying to brush it off, Tobe fluttered the hair on the back of his head. Thanks for happily explaining things that I’m not listening to. Stop laughing refreshingly while twirling your long hair. Cut your hair. But… how should I put it, he’s actually watching Ebina quite closely, this guy is. I’m a man who went through life through just observation for a long time. That’s why I’ve, more or less, noticed that Ebina wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill cute girl from her appearance alone. Even she has something she’s hiding deep down. Tobe may not have fully understood that core issue, but having observed and sympathized with Ebina, he may have a clue about it. And just like that, it began to poke at the back of his mind. Before he knew it, his eyes naturally began following her around and finally, he learned of a new side of her and his heart grew hot. That was the obvious development for anyone.

krnhotwings posted:

Probably not. I see this heading toward a White Album 2-esque ending where Yukino is Kazusa and Yui is Setsuna.
I wonder if Watari is a fan

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yikes, I didn't realize that at all. :catstare:

So... we'll get a scene at the end like that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Poil posted:

Yikes, I didn't realize that at all. :catstare:

So... we'll get a scene at the end like that too?
I doubt it, I mainly posted it as a joke.

• Locked thread