Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pastrymancy posted:

He slipped on wet grass and then airmailed the throw that scored the losing runs

The knee/quad was aggravated from being hit with a pitch in Milwaukee

He held the same spot as where he got hit. Would make sense it'd give out on him from being sore. Hopefully he sits a series and comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Sucks for Harper. Mets might actually make the playoffs now.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

davecrazy posted:

Sucks for Harper. Mets might actually make the playoffs now.

I'm ok with swapping places to get bounced in the NLDS this year

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NEWS: The Dodgers just beat the Rangers 1-0 on a walk-off balk in the bottom of the 9th
VIEWS: Game of the Year

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

NEWS: The Dodgers just beat the Rangers 1-0 on a walk-off balk in the bottom of the 9th
VIEWS: Game of the Year

The worst umping I have ever seen on a baseball field. Worse than Joe West, worse than Angel Hernandez.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I have finally seen a game end on a balk-off

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

In about 1995 I watched an Indians-Twins game end on a wild pitch during an intentional walk. Trust me: it was just as hilarious as it reads.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

In about 1995 I watched an Indians-Twins game end on a wild pitch during an intentional walk. Trust me: it was just as hilarious as it reads.

I also enjoyed Miggy hitting a go-ahead RBI single while being intentionally walked

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intruder posted:

I swear to god the Tigers do it about once every 2 years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Vin Scully says it's a balk I'm inclined to believe him even though I don't know the finer points of the balk rules

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It should've never gotten to the balk if that dickless gently caress calling the balls and strikes had done his loving job

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns
It was a balk

3 out of 4 from the Dodgers while facing Grienke and Kershaw, hard to get mad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That was Kike Hernandez? Former Astro getting it done vs the Rangers

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Intruder posted:

He was pinch-running for Grandal who shouldn't have been on base to begin with

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

If Vin Scully says it's a balk I'm inclined to believe him even though I don't know the finer points of the balk rules

Saying you don't know the finer points of balk rules is like saying you don't know the finer points of how magic works: much has been written about it, and most of it is horse poo poo written by people who know precisely as much about it as you.

There are a few very obvious things that can be called a balk. Lincecum has figured at least one of those out. But most of the balks I have seen called have been things that are so subtle that it's hard to tell, even with replay, what exactly was done wrong.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The worst umping I have ever seen on a baseball field. Worse than Joe West, worse than Angel Hernandez.

That, and I'm not disputing the balk call. His zone was horrible.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

MLB has scrubbed about 60-65 million "improper" votes from the All Star voting:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-royals-fans-have-turned-mlb-s-all-star-voting-into-anarchy-000837604.html

you deserve to be a farce for not beating the goddamn Giants, Royals :mad:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bruce Kison posted:

That, and I'm not disputing the balk call. His zone was horrible.

Guess which green triangles are the 9th inning two-strike Kela curveballs

Robo-umps can't come fast enough

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My friend is learning how to score games as her summer project and her first game was the walkoff balk. Incredible.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Spoeank posted:

My friend is learning how to score games as her summer project and her first game was the walkoff balk. Incredible.

Don't have much to add to this other than hell yeah baseball rules

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Guess which green triangles are the 9th inning two-strike Kela curveballs

Robo-umps can't come fast enough

Kershaw leads the league in strikes called balls with 27 so I can sympathize. Umpires can't seem to figure out a good curveball any better than most hitters.

Also I'm kinda upset that I had to leave the house before the game was over, I missed the balkoff :(

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
The camera must not have been on the pitcher when it happened it because I'm pretty sure this clip doesn't show it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QTrysCdbRk
unless I'missing something? v:shobon:v

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tarlibone posted:

Saying you don't know the finer points of balk rules is like saying you don't know the finer points of how magic works: much has been written about it, and most of it is horse poo poo written by people who know precisely as much about it as you.

There are a few very obvious things that can be called a balk. Lincecum has figured at least one of those out. But most of the balks I have seen called have been things that are so subtle that it's hard to tell, even with replay, what exactly was done wrong.

I dunno, you can see the move that resulted in the call pretty clearly in the video that I saw.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

will_colorado posted:

MLB has scrubbed about 60-65 million "improper" votes from the All Star voting:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-royals-fans-have-turned-mlb-s-all-star-voting-into-anarchy-000837604.html

you deserve to be a farce for not beating the goddamn Giants, Royals :mad:

If you actually read the article you'd know that none of these are retroactive and it's something that they've been doing for the whole process.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

kliksf posted:

The camera must not have been on the pitcher when it happened it because I'm pretty sure this clip doesn't show it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QTrysCdbRk
unless I'missing something? v:shobon:v

You can see the pitcher start and stop very slightly just before the call. That's what it was. Basically pitchers have to make fully deliberate motions and little things like that end up balks.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Inspector_666 posted:

N: Sam Dyson walks A-Rod on 4 pitches when he has 2,999 hits and I'm actually at the game.

V: gently caress you Sam Dyson. Now I have to root for A-Rod to go 0fer tomorrow so he can hit 3k when I'm at the game on Saturday.

The crowd was amazing. You guys gave Dyson so much poo poo. To be fair those 4 pitches were really poo poo and so far inside. And then he scored on a wild pitch from Dyson.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Explosionface posted:

You can see the pitcher start and stop very slightly just before the call. That's what it was. Basically pitchers have to make fully deliberate motions and little things like that end up balks.

I see a slight shifting in this video, like he was breathing in?

Man balks are such bullshit

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Some balks are really good. Like this one

Or this

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The "just stretching, nothing to see here" balks are my favorites.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Balks can be bad, but they're not as bad as every blowhard in the stadium screaming for a balk when a pitcher fakes a throw to second.

Yeah I'm sure the ump just missed that one guys, wasn't paying attention. It was too subtle.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Cross Posting from TFF, but today is the last day of the only good show on ESPN radio, SVP and Russillo. I just wanted to leave this hear because it's tangential to baseball and makes me laugh.

https://soundcloud.com/stevenjung-1/tim-kurkjians-final-tuesdays-with-timmy?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Context: Every Tuesday, SVP had ESPN's Tim Kurkjian on for a baseball segment. For some reason, SVP's Baltimore accent made Tim die laughing. This is the last one.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love SVP and he is leaving for a solo sportscenter gig but it's at midnight (and it's sportscenter) so that sucks. Those Kurkjian giggle fits are amazing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

Reported for anti-semitism.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Reported for anti-semitism.

We had a spring training game on in the office this year and Kike Hernandez was up to bat and my coworker came up and was like, "That's a funny name. Kike! Kike! Kike!" except she DID NOT GIVE IT TWO SYLLABLES and that's the day I taught several people in my office about the existence of a racial slur

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm honestly surprised they don't list him as his given name (Enrique) to avoid controversy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
maybe someday we can convince Dallas Enriquel to go by his given name as well

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zakharov posted:

I'm honestly surprised they don't list him as his given name (Enrique) to avoid controversy.

The accent SHOULD be plenty to make it clear what the correct pronunciation is really, but yeah I'm also surprised

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Spell it Quique, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

I see a slight shifting in this video, like he was breathing in?

Man balks are such bullshit

Go watch the clip again and look at his knees, its more apparent there.

• Locked thread